AI for artificial insufficiency

Claiming that our teams are on AI is quite an exaggeration- unless you change the meaning of the acronym. It might be better to just think of it as a battle being autoed.

I guess the fact that auto battle doesn't really play so smart is to my liking because it actually allows me to win more arena fights and climb the ranks. I also kind of hate it because of the way it makes my rank go down as soon as I'm not actively playing.

So what I'd really like is to create an arena team that does well on auto battle. What kind of strategies do you have there guys?

Replies

• Options
    I don't really think you can do anything to make the team perform better under auto. They just kind of do what they're programmed to do.

On an aside, it would be cool to see a game implement some sort of machine learning to these sort of games, so the game can learn how we use the teams under certain conditions and modify the auto behavior while on defense accordingly.
  • Supercat
    3250 posts Member
    Options
    Auto battle literally is the AI.

Also it might be artificial insufficiency but it is still an artificial intelligence.
    Don't be a ****(4), and follow forum guidelines.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options
    You can make certain teams do what you think they should in the right order, but that's as close as I think you can get.

I say certain because each toon has a prioritized move that we have "no" control over. (They have made changes at player request).

The auto battle doesn't select a single target, each toon will pick one at random, unless the player selects one, then it will have focused fire until death and pick a toon at random, but keep the focused fire.
  • Options
    it would be cool to see a game implement some sort of machine learning to these sort of games, so the game can learn how we use the teams under certain conditions and modify the auto behavior while on defense accordingly.

Yes. But that would make being on the offense that much harder...

Don't you guys have any good examples of teams that actually works good on auto battle?

• Options
    Kyno wrote: »
    The auto battle doesn't select a single target, each toon will pick one at random

Yeah, I wasn't thinking of that. I was just trying to find out if any combos seems to work well on auto battle
  • Options
    You have to pick toons whose specials aren't dependent on other things, so they won't do dumb stuff like heal with heal immunity or taunt with buff immunity, etc...
  • Options
    You have to pick toons whose specials aren't dependent on other things, so they won't do dumb stuff like heal with heal immunity or taunt with buff immunity, etc...

So no AoE with negative effects when the opponent team all has tenacity up, no AoE when the opponent team all have retribution...

With your examples and mine I can only think of two kind of toon that does no - or almost no - stupid things:

1) Toons who's specials are attacks that targets a single target. E g Biggs (although he might use it when Wedge is stunned), Qui-Gon Jinn (who doesn't use his dispel unless the opponent has a buff), First Order Tie Pilot & Rey who only does high damage attacks...

2) Toons whose specials are affecting only the members of your own team. E.g. General Kenobi cleansing and giving retribution, Rex cleansing and giving tenacity up and turn meter (although this might be better to do directly as a first move), Yoda giving tenacity up and foresight

Any other examples or kind of toons?