Some advice to F2P players, about building teams, etc..

SikrouDeco
338 posts Member
edited March 2017
I have played since shortly after launch. I am 100% F2P. I have made many mistakes and bad decisions. Hopefully I can help some avoid them.

TID = Team in development

1) Get to PL 80 as soon as possible. Then start banking omegas, unless you need them for your TID.

2) Complete as many LS/DS nodes as possible to give access to farming desired heroes for your TID.

3). BUILD ONE SQUAD AT A TIME. Whatever team you want to build, meta, iconic, w/e team makes you happy, work on it until it is 7*, g9 MINIMUM. Others can suggest what teams to build, just focus on one team at a time. Every day, login, do the minimum to complete the dailies, use your TID roster as the ones you use for light side 3, dark side 3, and cantina 3, when available. Use rewards to obtain shards, credits as needed. Then use your remaining energy, to level and gear your team. Forget chasing Arena ranking etc, UNTIL YOU ARE READY. Go as high as you can and bank the rewards. Same with GW. Farm it, don't sweat it if you cannot finish it, farm it, bank the rewards. Gear, level your TID. If there are events, do what you can, finish them if possible, then park your new heroes and get back to finishing your TID.

You will be tempted to build several teams, this is a BAD IDEA. Why? All it does is frustrate you because it takes longer. Build your TID, once you hit the suggested minimum stated above, then you can consider your next team.

Metas come and go, new heroes are released, metas change. It's a hamster wheel, but it is what it is. If you climb on the wheel, accept that one team will not be all you ever need. You will need to watch the top slots, read the forums, and make informed decisions.

More to follow..

Post edited by SikrouDeco on

Replies

• Options
    Whatever the current meta is you are probably too late to take advantage... I.e. Zader and Zaul will likely not be arena top by the time you farm them if starting from stratch

Important to note this
  • SikrouDeco
    338 posts Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    JediHunter wrote: »
    Whatever the current meta is you are probably too late to take advantage... I.e. Zader and Zaul will likely not be arena top by the time you farm them if starting from stratch

Important to note this

+100000000 So true, you need to use the force sometimes to decide where the meta is going. My suggestion for now is build a solid Rebel team, then Empire/Sith team, and then w/e appeals to you.
  • Options
    When using area specific tokens, focus on obtaining heroes relevant to your TID.Don't just go, "ohhhhhh shiny". Be disciplined in your choices.
  • Dhoey321
    1629 posts Member
    Options
    good advice lol thats exactly what i tell my fellow guild members as i have done the same mistakes as you.

Farm 1 team and only give resources to them.
    Farm shards for a second team only after you have completed your first team.
    And if they have questions on who to farm i ask what part of the game are they trying to get better at because certain characters are better at certain parts of the game.
  • SikrouDeco
    338 posts Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Dhoey321 wrote: »
    good advice lol thats exactly what i tell my fellow guild members as i have done the same mistakes as you.

Farm 1 team and only give resources to them.
    Farm shards for a second team only after you have completed your first team.
    And if they have questions on who to farm i ask what part of the game are they trying to get better at because certain characters are better at certain parts of the game.

Spot on, agree 100%. As leader I see so much lost time by some, and we harp on them to build one team, get it to g9, 7*, then rinse and repeat. Some listen, some..
    Post edited by SikrouDeco on
  • Options
    The single biggest mistake is thinking those that spend advance faster. The game is balanced so we all have the same chances. How many times have I seen posts about someone spending a lot on paks only to have a ton of shards for a hero they didn't want and won't use. There is a reason behind this. We all progress at a certain rate. Ok, buying paks can help but it's not the end all be all of the game. As much as we wish it to be so, you can't throw thousands at the game and have a maxed team overnight. Even "Whales" scream in outrage at the RNG. This is also why teams rise and fall in popularity. To remove the stranglehold they currently have. Plus it lends to the feeling of Galactic War, and the balance of power shifting back and forth.
  • Options
    Great advice, OP and like what you've done here! Work on one squad at a time and stay focused on those toons. I'm not a F2P, for the record, and my experience is that Gear 9 isn't always as easy as you're implying, though... but it all comes down to what your long-term goal is.

Getting a team from Gear 8 to 9 was much more difficult for me. I need Raid gear for some of my toons to get to 9 that I have not seen as of yet. On thing I have notice about Galactic War is that as soon as I had 2 Squads at Gear 8 and 1 Squad all at Gear 7/8... it seem to get much easier all of a sudden.

Using your strategy on Scoundrels 1st would be one of the best things I could have done for myself... nice work.
    https://swgoh.gg/u/speedokillz/

December 2016 Arena Shard
  • Options
    Great advice, OP and like what you've done here! Work on one squad at a time and stay focused on those toons. I'm not a F2P, for the record, and my experience is that Gear 9 isn't always as easy as you're implying, though... but it all comes down to what your long-term goal is.

Getting a team from Gear 8 to 9 was much more difficult for me. I need Raid gear for some of my toons to get to 9 that I have not seen as of yet. On thing I have notice about Galactic War is that as soon as I had 2 Squads at Gear 8 and 1 Squad all at Gear 7/8... it seem to get much easier all of a sudden.

Using your strategy on Scoundrels 1st would be one of the best things I could have done for myself... nice work.

Thanks. Indeed scoundrels are useful, credits come in handy.
  • Options
    I've followed this advice, mostly. I haven't been strict about it, specifically in 2 things. First, my main squad ranges from 3*-6*. This is for a couple reasons. Baze Malbus is my main squad tank and isn't easily farmable at this point; also, I've been keeping up a moderate Sith/Empire squad for the DS battles. Second, and maybe this has been wrong, I've been spending to get the shards for clones and stuff like that. I haven't been leveling them at all, just getting them as able so I can build that squad when I'm ready.
  • SikrouDeco
    338 posts Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Dralkyr wrote: »
    I've followed this advice, mostly. I haven't been strict about it, specifically in 2 things. First, my main squad ranges from 3*-6*. This is for a couple reasons. Baze Malbus is my main squad tank and isn't easily farmable at this point; also, I've been keeping up a moderate Sith/Empire squad for the DS battles. Second, and maybe this has been wrong, I've been spending to get the shards for clones and stuff like that. I haven't been leveling them at all, just getting them as able so I can build that squad when I'm ready.

I have been grabbing Clones also, but I have several strong teams, Sith/Empire, Rebel, Jedi, Scoundrels, etc.. I mainly want players to start working smart, not hard. Deep Rosters are key, especially in GW. I have hit teams that have forced me to use darn near every hero I have. But having them made a win possible.

Maybe a slight addendum is warranted. Some teams gear faster then others. My main thought was/is focus on the TID, especially when gearing. Then really plan it out. If I was doing things all over again, I would have geared RG first. She has been so integral to my teams, beating nodes etc. But I'm old school. Tank/DPS/Healer. Some habits are hard to break,
  • evanbio
    1505 posts Member
    Options
    The only thing I would add is to consider where you are happy with in Arena. What I mean is, determine if you are willing to put in the effort to be at the top, or if being in the top 50 is ok. On my shard, getting into the top 25 seems to require spending crystals to refresh. I'm not going to do that. So I don't necessarily need to get my toons to G11, because G10 is enough to hold top 50. I hope that makes sense. Yes, some toons get to G11 easier, or are more critical to have at that level. But others can be good enough at G10, and I can then work on the next toon/squad. Not everyone can be top 5.
  • Options
    SikrouDeco wrote: »

I have been grabbing Clones also, but I have several strong teams, Sith/Empire, Rebel, Jedi, Scoundrels, etc.. I mainly want players to start working smart, not hard. Deep Rosters are key, especially in GW. I have hit teams that have forced me to use darn near every hero I have. But having them made a win possible.

Maybe a slight addendum is warranted. Some teams gear faster then others. My main thought was/is focus on the TID, especially when gearing. Then really plan it out. If I was doing things all over again, I would have geared RG first. She has been so integral to my teams, beating nodes etc. But I'm old school. Tank/DPS/Healer. Some habits are hard to break,

I've had GW nodes like that. I typically use my weaker characters as fodder to wipe off the protection and make them use their special ability.

Since they released nihilus i use him on all my nodes. I can do about half the nodes with:

Nihilus(L)
    Assassin
    Sidious
    Boba
    Cad Bane

And the other half:

Nihilus(L)
    Vader
    Palpatine
    Savage
    Dooku

My point, nihilus kicks ****, if you have him, build him up. Mines still a 3* G8 lol.
  • SikrouDeco
    338 posts Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    evanbio wrote: »
    The only thing I would add is to consider where you are happy with in Arena. What I mean is, determine if you are willing to put in the effort to be at the top, or if being in the top 50 is ok. On my shard, getting into the top 25 seems to require spending crystals to refresh. I'm not going to do that. So I don't necessarily need to get my toons to G11, because G10 is enough to hold top 50. I hope that makes sense. Yes, some toons get to G11 easier, or are more critical to have at that level. But others can be good enough at G10, and I can then work on the next toon/squad. Not everyone can be top 5.

Very True. I hover around 140 - 180 and I'm happy there. I use Arena as a tool, to gain rewards that I convert into credits (I have no need of all the heroes there, I have those I want to 7* already) and use the gems for gear and/or energy. Chasing the #1 is of no interest to me. I spend more time working on my AAT Raid roster, ands trying new combos.
    SikrouDeco wrote: »

I've had GW nodes like that. I typically use my weaker characters as fodder to wipe off the protection and make them use their special ability.

Since they released nihilus i use him on all my nodes. I can do about half the nodes with:

Nihilus(L)
    Assassin
    Sidious
    Boba
    Cad Bane

And the other half:

Nihilus(L)
    Vader
    Palpatine
    Savage
    Dooku

My point, nihilus kicks ****, if you have him, build him up. Mines still a 3* G8 lol.

Much the way I view RG, she is a very useful hero, that lends her talents to my playstyle. I have Nih, for now he is sitting at g8. I'm focused on my Sith/Empire team and finishing them to g11.