Why the Phoenix squad is good for the game

Prev134
2findaz
90 posts Member
One of my biggest problems with these forums in general is everything is looked at an end game perspective. Everything brought into the game gets ripped because it doesn't change the meta or isn't viable in the arena for players who have been maxed for ages. Of course this is understandable, many of the hardcore players on the forums only care about what affects them. But EA also has to take into account mid game players and new players and most importantly future players

Which brings me to the Phoenix squad. Now yes, if you are maxed player, you hate the idea that you have to farm this team that you will never use just to get a legendary character. You may see it as a money grab by EA and in some ways it is. But look at it from a new player's perspective. You now have a full squad that is pretty easy to farm and will be viable in the beginning and mid game. More importantly, you have a squad that can get you TWO Legendary characters. So a new player can farm the Phoenix squad with relative ease right away, except for sabine and then will be able to unlock 2 Empire Legendary characters who will then help you to unlock R2D2 another legendary character. And of course by farming the Phoenix you have also farmed 2 Jedi characters who will help you get Yoda.

Pretty clever move by EA

Replies

• Options
    Boba is easy for mid players and destroys phoenix. He is also useful for Credit heist
  • Options
    Phoenix squad being chosen was done so for many reasons imho. It will appeal to fans of the show. It wasn't being developed by players so it was a safe choice. Obscure team to obtain a desired new hero. It gives players something to do, a carrot to chase. Hopefully renews lost interest in the game. Possibly causes a revenue increase. Most everyone has Yoda, and EP. So they needed a new shiny to catch our attention. Enter GAT.

• Vaylin
    39 posts Member
    Options
    New players can double down and run EP and Thrawn event with PS. Plus Kanan and Ezra can be used in the Yoda event.
  • 2findaz
    90 posts Member
    Options
    Boba is easy for mid players and destroys phoenix. He is also useful for Credit heist

boba destroys lots of characters, but thats not the point.
  • Options
    I don't think they are horrible. Sure they stink in arena but toons like Sabine and Ezra are useful elsewhere. Honestly if they improved Kanan and Zeb from the utter grabage they are now, it could make for an interesting team in arena
  • 2findaz
    90 posts Member
    Options
    Phoenix squad being chosen was done so for many reasons imho. It will appeal to fans of the show. It wasn't being developed by players so it was a safe choice. Obscure team to obtain a desired new hero. It gives players something to do, a carrot to chase. Hopefully renews lost interest in the game. Possibly causes a revenue increase. Most everyone has Yoda, and EP. So they needed a new shiny to catch our attention. Enter GAT.

Yea I agree, they did it for lots of different reasons, as you stated above, But I do think one of reasons and benefits is for the new player coming into the game. It's a big turnoff for new players to see some amazing characters they cant get and wont be able to get for a very long time. Now they have two legendary characters who they can easily acquire by farming the phoenix squad which is a pretty easy farm. And the squad will be useful for them until they get around lv 70 or so, then again depends on their shard. And hopefully the ships become farm-able too
  • Options
    It just as easy to farm the older rebels than to farm PS ( Lando Wiggs STHan Chirrut or others) that are insanely poweful at entry and mid level, but also can be meta in endgame (Wiggs, Chirrut). They also give you 2 scoundrels for the heists.
    To me the really serious problem for entry and mid level is the lack of a equally viable DS team compared to rebels. Having a second very useful and powerful team at this levels, also a rebel team, is just another FU to DS users and to the balance between LS and DS.
  • 2findaz
    90 posts Member
    Options
    It just as easy to farm the older rebels than to farm PS ( Lando Wiggs STHan Chirrut or others) that are insanely poweful at entry and mid level, but also can be meta in endgame (Wiggs, Chirrut). They also give you 2 scoundrels for the heists.
    To me the really serious problem for entry and mid level is the lack of a equally viable DS team compared to rebels. Having a second very useful and powerful team at this levels, also a rebel team, is just another FU to DS users and to the balance between LS and DS.

cant disagree with that. Dark side needs some love for the early to mid player. More than just Gar Saxon and that other guy
  • Vaylin
    39 posts Member
    Options
    I don't think they are horrible. Sure they stink in arena but toons like Sabine and Ezra are useful elsewhere. Honestly if they improved Kanan and Zeb from the utter grabage they are now, it could make for an interesting team in arena

If they add a zeta to kanan, it should be an auto taunt like Baze and Shore Trooper. Then, kanan could be used by new players. He still wouldn't be as good compared to Baze, GK, or even Shore Troop[er, but he would be worthy farm and it would add an auto tank to the jedi faction.
  • Boreas
    508 posts Member
    Options
    It's really interesting that lately, some people who have around 20-50 posts in the forums up to now, which means they are relatively new players (are they?) are bombing the forums with information about Phoenix, how good they are, all the others who do not like or want them are completely wrong etc.One cannot stop but wonder... Are they really players? Or what?...
  • 2findaz
    90 posts Member
    Options
    lol never said they were really good, Just that they are viable for lower level players, and an easy farm but more importantly they can help you get two legendary characters
  • Options
    2findaz wrote: »

cant disagree with that. Dark side needs some love for the early to mid player. More than just Gar Saxon and that other guy

Since we don't know were Gar and ISC will be farmable not even they are a solution for an entry or mid level player who wishes to use a DS team.
  • danflorian1984
    986 posts Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Boreas wrote: »
    It's really interesting that lately, some people who have around 20-50 posts in the forums up to now, which means they are relatively new players (are they?) are bombing the forums with information about Phoenix, how good they are, all the others who do not like or want them are completely wrong etc.One cannot stop but wonder... Are they really players? Or what?...

Or maybe since they are new players they have a different view on toons than that of older players with huge roosters?
  • Boreas
    508 posts Member
    Options

Or maybe they are new players with a different view on toons than that of older players with huge roosters?

Anything is possible of course, and it's not about this post, I see too much of a coincidence, nevermind...
  • 2findaz
    90 posts Member
    edited June 2017
    Options

Or maybe they are new players with a different view on toons than that of older players with huge roosters?

Anything is possible of course, and it's not about this post, I see too much of a coincidence, nevermind...

I think its simply that a lot of toons are decent for the early player but aren't viable at all for the high level player.
    Just a different perspective.
  • dad2my3
    1561 posts Member
    Options
    I haven't enjoyed playing with them in the last two weeks. After I get Thrawn to 7*, I will pull all the mods off my Phoenix characters and never look at them again.
  • Options

To be fair, did anyone see Darth Vader running around with a bunch of Sith?

DS needs love for sure but it's very limited as most of the DS doesn't contain more than 2 characters and a bunch of troopers.

There are a good many benefits to Phoenix, they are viable for HAAT (there's vids of them doing 1m+ dmg on p2), they can give you an early that should do well in GW, Cantina and hard modes as well.

I'm in the been 85 awhile and am annoyed I have to farm a squad just for 1 character I want boat, but that being said if I can pump out an extra 1m dmg in p2 if I have to then at the end of the day that helps for haat and the guys that don't have an over the top team or their rebels aren't there are going to be that much more effective.

The perspective of "does this give me the 6-12m dmg I'm looking for" is a lot of what causes the disdain, but if you take that away (even for whales) this team still has value IMO.
  • Options

To be fair, did anyone see Darth Vader running around with a bunch of Sith?

DS needs love for sure but it's very limited as most of the DS doesn't contain more than 2 characters and a bunch of troopers.

There are a good many benefits to Phoenix, they are viable for HAAT (there's vids of them doing 1m+ dmg on p2), they can give you an early that should do well in GW, Cantina and hard modes as well.

I'm in the been 85 awhile and am annoyed I have to farm a squad just for 1 character I want boat, but that being said if I can pump out an extra 1m dmg in p2 if I have to then at the end of the day that helps for haat and the guys that don't have an over the top team or their rebels aren't there are going to be that much more effective.

The perspective of "does this give me the 6-12m dmg I'm looking for" is a lot of what causes the disdain, but if you take that away (even for whales) this team still has value IMO.

There are plenty of named DS toons they could use if they wanted. Also there are already plenty of DS toons in the game, the problem is just that they are both a lot harder to get and weaker than their rebels counterparts. Also having easy acces from the beginning to OP rebel toons, especially compared to any other toon available then, that are also viable at the highest levels is **** at best to me.
  • 2findaz
    90 posts Member
    Options
    dad2my3 wrote: »
    I haven't enjoyed playing with them in the last two weeks. After I get Thrawn to 7*, I will pull all the mods off my Phoenix characters and never look at them again.

what level are u?
  • Hskull55
    2263 posts Member
    Options

I have a few posts/replies because I created an account last month, but i started playing year an a half ago
    My collection https://swgoh.gg/u/Hskull55/
    Sorry for my English :]
  • Options
    I'm not anti-Phoenix or for them, but I found a use for them. I'll be making them my starter "expendable" team for Galactic War. That way I can save my better teams/best character for later on. Mainly the second half of Galactic War. But Sabine and Ezra were the only two I actually wanted to level up and planned to level up and use for teams of random characters or what some people call "hybrid" teams, although "hybrid" is more of randoms that synergize well but are in different factions. But yeah. I plan to use my Phoenix as my starter team with Galactic War and not weaken my "good" teams right away.
  • BulYwif
    1977 posts Member
    Options
    Ezra is really the best character of the Phoenix toons especially for Jedi users. Kanan is a good tank for people not having GK and also playing Jedis. Sabine is useful in several parts of the game. And Zeb imo can really fit in a team with Krennic and DT.
    And yes for new players, it allows to play several events using the same toons (EP, Thrawn, Yoda) so it's a good investment. Not everybody has a deep roster and started playing more than a year ago.
  • 2findaz
    90 posts Member
    Options
    I'm not anti-Phoenix or for them, but I found a use for them. I'll be making them my starter "expendable" team for Galactic War. That way I can save my better teams/best character for later on. Mainly the second half of Galactic War. But Sabine and Ezra were the only two I actually wanted to level up and planned to level up and use for teams of random characters or what some people call "hybrid" teams, although "hybrid" is more of randoms that synergize well but are in different factions. But yeah. I plan to use my Phoenix as my starter team with Galactic War and not weaken my "good" teams right away.

Thats the biggest problem with this squad overall. There arent that many uses for them, If someone does get them early on, once they grow past them, there is no use. I guess just ezra for jedi. but other than a suicide squad for gw, there isnt much.

However, for the beginner player they are great. i usually just tell people to farm lando boba stHan biggs right away. But now there isnt anything wrong with farming phoenix so you can get two legendary characters rather quickly

• 2findaz
    90 posts Member
    Options
    BulYwif wrote: »
    Ezra is really the best character of the Phoenix toons especially for Jedi users. Kanan is a good tank for people not having GK and also playing Jedis. Sabine is useful in several parts of the game. And Zeb imo can really fit in a team with Krennic and DT.
    And yes for new players, it allows to play several events using the same toons (EP, Thrawn, Yoda) so it's a good investment. Not everybody has a deep roster and started playing more than a year ago.

exactly
  • Options
    Phoenix squad being chosen was done so for many reasons imho. It will appeal to fans of the show.

AKA 6 year olds bc the show sucks and anyone that cares for the Star Wars universe hates it bc it shouldn't exist. In addition, the characters offer nothing and are boring, much like in this game.
    It gives players something to do, a carrot to chase. Hopefully renews lost interest in the game. Possibly causes a revenue increase.

K um no. There are already way too many "carrots to chase" especially for a mid-level player. That's the crucial time to find the strategy you want to stick with and upgrade towards the wanted outcome, and that's when ships become more important to gaining characters they want. The last thing people should worry about is trying to gather shards to this sucky team in addition to their rebel team and empire team. Those are the teams needed to gain legendary characters, and those teams are fun to create because people are familiar with the characters and there are more than 6 different characters to choose from. The game is so much more fun when you can develop a strategy using completely different characters, finding a way to make them work together well.
    But when Star Wars rebels characters came out, there's just 6 boring characters and it almost feels like they're forced onto you and forced to work together, because their unique abilities only work well with each other if Hera is leader. All the other rebels are awesome because they're strong individually as well.

If they want to renew a lost interest in the game, give us Jedi Luke sky walker, the most iconic Star Wars character of all time and make Han Solo obtainable to mid-level players, but still have it take a while to get him.
  • Options
    Phoenix squad being chosen was done so for many reasons imho. It will appeal to fans of the show.

AKA 6 year olds bc the show sucks and anyone that cares for the Star Wars universe hates it bc it shouldn't exist. In addition, the characters offer nothing and are boring, much like in this game.
    It gives players something to do, a carrot to chase. Hopefully renews lost interest in the game. Possibly causes a revenue increase.

K um no. There are already way too many "carrots to chase" especially for a mid-level player. That's the crucial time to find the strategy you want to stick with and upgrade towards the wanted outcome, and that's when ships become more important to gaining characters they want. The last thing people should worry about is trying to gather shards to this sucky team in addition to their rebel team and empire team. Those are the teams needed to gain legendary characters, and those teams are fun to create because people are familiar with the characters and there are more than 6 different characters to choose from. The game is so much more fun when you can develop a strategy using completely different characters, finding a way to make them work together well.
    But when Star Wars rebels characters came out, there's just 6 boring characters and it almost feels like they're forced onto you and forced to work together, because their unique abilities only work well with each other if Hera is leader. All the other rebels are awesome because they're strong individually as well.

If they want to renew a lost interest in the game, give us Jedi Luke sky walker, the most iconic Star Wars character of all time and make Han Solo obtainable to mid-level players, but still have it take a while to get him.

Because what mid level players need is more rebels obtainable, not better empire, jedi, clones separatists etc. for that level, suuure.
  • Options
    From my own perspective once you have some decent teams you only need two things:

1- A new team to increase your rank in arena (if you still need that)

2- A new team to help achieving raids.

Why would anyone need a team not quite useful in arena nor in raids, at least for now ? For GW completion one can already build a resistance or a Rebel team, they perfectly do the job and still you need them for challenges, raids and events.

Phoenix has just been organized and rushed to make more money out of desperate Empire players. I saw a lot of videos about Thrawn achievements, not a single about Phoenix prowess.

A mid level player don't need to invest in such things, he needs to complete heist events, jawas/scoundrels challenges, build a viable team to complete his GWs each day and a decent arena team to ensure enough crystals to help him buying mandatory gears/toons and help his guild to achieve raids if they're still struggling.
  • Options
    Phoenix, Thrawn and other new characters only have one Sense: "Bring EA more Money". The Prizes nowadays are barefaced. F2P Players are no longer wanted in the Game.
  • Options

Good.... good.... let the hate flow (and the salt)
  • Bhaalor
    1724 posts Member
    Options
    I think one of my major beef's with the Phoenix Squad is that they are very very turtleish. Yes you have Ezra and Sabine that can hit. Then you have the rest of the squad. "Its my turn, oh no I couldnt possibly, how bout you go? Who Me? Oh I dunno, Hello sir, have a buff! Oh my why thank you, but I couldnt possibly be the only one buffed, how bout you have a buff too! OMG Thank you! Lets invite the enemy to a tickle party!!!!"