CLS Tier3

Prev1
What is going on here? There simply doesn't seem to be remotely enough firepower between LS and STHan to take down anyone before the taunters kick in, and then what? They slowly but surely die, even with STHan's bluff and TM bumps.

It's not like they have lots of special abilities: you only have 2 abilities for Farmboy and 2 for STHan. Han either taunts or fires - and there are so many attacks, you have to taunt on your first to take proper advantage. Then Farmboy either basic attacks or stun-attacks. That's it.

So you don't really have any strategic choices to make. You just fire and then get attacked 72 times, then fire again ... until you inevitably die.

Why design something this way? I'm sure if I had these guys at gear11 I could take this level down easy, but the "gear up Luke" flash events don't get you any farther than gear 7. Mine is g8 and waiting on a fusion furnace for g9, but that's not something I can order up. It's not something I can earn in the Flash Event that's supposed to gear Luke up. There simply aren't any options for doing anything at all to advance the character except pray that RNG comes up positive in the raids.

I'd feel better if there was actually some strategy I could learn or at least try, but nope. We get told to work on Luke, I get all the right toons to 7*, and then we get absolutely nothing like an interesting challenge: you're either high-gear and it's easy or you're low gear and you're inevitably clobbered: there's no thinking involved, no game play skill involved.

This is more paper-pushing. Why is so much of your game just paper-pushing, EA/CG? Can't you think of any way to make encounters actually interesting/challenging? At least r2 has a diverse skill set so you could design a level where choosing the right ability at the right time would be to your advantage. A level that's only STHan and Farmboy? Pfft. Uninteresting as well as beyond the capability of the gear you provided to gear Luke.

Both LS and STHan are waiting on Mk5 Fusion Furnaces for g9. What are the odds that I'll get 2 complete FFs in the next 6 days? Anyone?

Geez, people.

Replies

• Options
    Tier8 Han ST, Tier8 Luke. Modules 3 lvl on Han, can`t handle without modules on Luke. Just set strong modules on Luke and u can handle this :)
  • Options
    Any actual strategy tips, or just make the character hit harder/go faster and everything takes care of itself?

Don't get me wrong, i'd like to unlock CLS, but if the secret to unlocking CLS doesn't have anything to do with brains or game play, if it only has to do with, "Well, you should have a more powerful toon," then it's still bad game design.
  • Options
    This is not a tactics games, it is a management game. You choose how to best manage your limited resources to upgrade your toons. So, of course your success comes down to the development of your toons.

If you do not enjoy that, then maybe you are playing the wrong game.

And what on earth do you mean you can't get a fusion furnace? Shard shop, guild store and shop shop all sell furnaces pieces. It sounds like a whole lot of buthurt to me...
  • Options
    I beat this tier with G8 Farmboy and G8 STH. The only tactics you have are to use STH as your lead, taunt as early as possible to utilize his ability, use Farmboy's special as frequently as possible, and to eliminate the lower health enemies as efficiently as possible to save the Elites for last as you will take far more hits trying to dispatch the Elites before removing the lower health targets.

Aside from that, yes, I modded STH with a Protection Arrow, Protection Triangle, and a Protection Circle, and gave Farmboy a Speed Arrow. That's really about all it takes.
  • Options
    My biggest problem is that both tier-2 and tier-3 said that I would get 55 Luke shards for completing it. I got nothing for either of them
  • APX_919
    2468 posts Member
    Options
    Plokoon187 wrote: »
    My biggest problem is that both tier-2 and tier-3 said that I would get 55 Luke shards for completing it. I got nothing for either of them

Just in case there's some confusion, you get CLS shards, not Farmer Luke shards.
    "Everything is proceeding as I have foreseen...mostly"
  • Options
    Because we haven't known for literally months that we needed to gear up and have farm boy Luke ready for this....
  • Ender22
    1194 posts Member
    Options
    I beat this without any mods on Like.. he's level 78 g8
  • Options
    My LSF was 6* and G8, STH 7* and G9. LSF has speed mods with crit chance secondary. I beat it first time through focused on LSF stun on heavy hitters, then STH taunt. You can do it, just shift your mods around.
  • Options
    Any actual strategy tips, or just make the character hit harder/go faster and everything takes care of itself?

Don't get me wrong, i'd like to unlock CLS, but if the secret to unlocking CLS doesn't have anything to do with brains or game play, if it only has to do with, "Well, you should have a more powerful toon," then it's still bad game design.

Its a bit of rng whwther luke actually stuns. As for strategy, i would let luke absorb some of the damage before taunting. If you taunt immediately han will die and luke will be alone. Let luke take a beating, and them han will take all damage whem he taunts . Use the first few turns to focus attacks on a specific toon and hope for a stun.
    Intergalactic space slugs are recruiting. Pm me if interested in entering the slug life. ~°° ♡
  • Tiggus
    766 posts Member
    Options
    I had a St Han G11 and the farmer boy level 60 G7 and it was kind of long, but got through. The officer shoots a lot with his water gun (a few hundred damage), which gives incredible TM and he regained protection in almost equal amount through health steal. Keep that guy alive until the very end, he's actually helping you.
    ☮ Consular ☮ - https://swgoh.gg/u/tiggus/
  • Options
    That phase and the OB phase aren't about tactics, they're a gear check. Move some mods around would be my suggestion, it's the cheapest route.
  • Options
    I slapped my Biggs mods on Luke had no problem
  • Options
    I had this issue too...had Luke at lvl 70 and Han at lvl 72, both G8 6*. Did a quick boost for booth to level 74 and pushed their skill levels as far as that level could give them, each with average 3* mods, and then swapped them around as leaders (luke was first), and it suddenly made all the difference.
    My Han taunted immediately, and each couple of hits gave Luke tm to fire back in response...with Luke at that level he suddenly started hurting a lot more, and took down both Stormtroopers before Han's taunt wore off (I admit I had some lucky RNG there too).
    Ignore the officer and later, the desert trooper...they may fire a lot faster but they do much less damage, have too much health, and their attacks on Han help boost Luke's TM even more. I did lose Han at that end but by that time Luke was on a roll against the last 2 troopers...the desert trooper never stood a chance...
  • Options
    @Easybee

Now you're just being deliberately obtuse for the opportunity to take jabs at other players.

This:
    This is not a tactics games, it is a management game. You choose how to best manage your limited resources to upgrade your toons. So, of course your success comes down to the development of your toons.
    If you do not enjoy that, then maybe you are playing the wrong game.

Is obviously not true if you mean that a "management game" is a game in which tactics don't matter. If that was true, you could auto every battle and your team would either 3* the thing or fail entirely and you making decisions instead of auto'ing the battle would make no difference whatsoever in the outcome.

MOREOVER, you're making this comment on the official "Squad and Character Strategy" page of the official forums for the game. If you have no strategies to offer other than "Bee real strong. Smash hard." then maybe you're commenting on the wrong forum.

Of course, since other people had useful things to say, maybe you just didn't invest enough in character development.
  • Hskull55
    2263 posts Member
    Options
    Tiggus wrote: »
    I had a St Han G11 and the farmer boy level 60 G7 and it was kind of long, but got through. The officer shoots a lot with his water gun (a few hundred damage), which gives incredible TM and he regained protection in almost equal amount through health steal. Keep that guy alive until the very end, he's actually helping you.

Lol, that's true
    My collection https://swgoh.gg/u/Hskull55/
    Sorry for my English :]
  • Ruyen
    46 posts Member
    Options
    Having so much trouble with t3, tried nearly 100x and it's extremely aggravating.

My stats:
    Han Level 77, 7*, gear 8/5 (16k hp, 12k protection, +17 speed)
    Luke Level 70, 5*, gear 7/4 (±45 speed, +30% crit chance)

I've tried everything I can think of, and barely make it to wave 2. Among the things I tried besides the basic strat...
    -Tried Speed mods on Han before going full Prot,
    -Tried not Taunting ASAP so Luke takes hits down below 50% to activate Plan B and make Han live longer while Luke life-steals back up
    - Even tried Luke in lead. Lol

What am I doing wrong?

Seems the only thing I haven't tried is modding Luke for crit damage but I assumed %chance was better for him to trigger TM on his basic and Stun.
  • Options
    @Ruyen - Can you get Luke up to level 78+ so that you can omega his abilities?

Crit damage for Luke isn't a bad idea, actually. CLS3 can be pretty brutal and if you're going to be trying multiple times for the right RNG, you might as well be waiting for a 32% chance of crit instead of a 38% chance of crit.

The thing about Stun is that so much of your early effort is spent on the Taunters, who don't really hurt you much if you don't stun them. Getting your stun to land isn't as important as getting an early kill.

When I finally beat this thing, it was after I got crits from both Luke and Han to start the first encounter. I had them both targeted on the Scout Trooper and just barely managed to kill him, then the taunts came. yes, taking a lot of hits, but they are puny hits and then if you get Han's taunt off with your 2nd Han action, Luke can start walloping people.

When Luke shoots the Taunters, have him focus on the trooper that started taunting last (kill that one and the other's taunt ends earlier & you're back to killing real threats sooner).

Without enough damage to take out Scout Trooper in your first 2 attacks (1 Luke, 1 Han), you have the hardest hitting enemy hanging around for turn after turn when you could be taking a lot less damage if he was gone.

Farmboy has always been useless to me, but I had a good set of speed + crit chance + crit damage mods on my Lando (crit chance set bonus, crit damage primary on the triangle, speed primary on the arrow). So in the morning I did GW, then I transferred my strong Lando mods, then I tried a bunch that day. Didn't finish. Next day I reset GW and did two or 3 nodes where I had no need of Lando so I didn't have to switch the mods back. Then later that day I finished tier 3 and moved the Lando mods back.

If you have a toon with speed + CC + CD, you might just consider moving that whole set of mods over.

and don't forget to level up your Farmboy.
  • Ruyen
    46 posts Member
    Options
    Awesome stuff @MasterSeedy
    Especially didn't know about Scout hitting the hardest. On my attempts to kill a DPS first, I mostly went for Snowy, thinking his crit buff was the most dangerous and that Scout just put up that debuff. But that's probably a good benchmark for a good start, killing one in the first two hit. I just wasn't close so eventually I just moved to hitting a tank first.

Speaking of, I was going for the last taunter, then moving back to DPS when all taunts were down.

So since writing last, I did strip my Arena Biggs' crit dmg mods for Luke but it cost him a decent amount of speed from the good crit chance mods that had some secondary speed. So the results were about the same. I lucked out with some raid rewards and got Luke to 5 of 6 towards gear 8, and only a mk4 laptop short. And Han is still a pricey Furnace short of gear 9. I would be willing to get both if those if I knew it would guarantee a win, but at this point, I'm just not too sure. So far, I've spent about 19 mk3 ability mats, a couple of gear levels and a dozen normal levels for Luke and about 6 for Han, and the results aren't drastically different.

I can barely take down the tank that keeps getting healed in wave 2 before they're dead.
  • theanswer3
    23 posts Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I was having the same problems as those above, could not beat tier 3...but i finally got through it. Han and luke both at level 85 gear 8 both needing the last final piece to go to gear 9, so i started changing mods around then made it to second round, changed a few more then finally beat it, it was not easy by any means but it is doable. Your best bet is to change around your mods until you find ones that work. Did the same for leia and got through all the tiers except ben vs vader. Wating for ben to be 7* i am at 66/100 but i hope i am in good shape after some more refreshes tonight. Im excited because i did not think i would beat that tier 3 either.

Oh also i did not have speed mods, it was mostly defense and health for han and crit damage and health for luke. Sucks having to take my arena mods but it is only temporary.
  • Beasthunt
    53 posts Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I'm G8 STH and G8 Luke and I get demolished. I barely make it to round 2 with a yellow bar Luke and a dead Han.

No pro-consumer thought was put into this. More carrot dangling. Such a shame.
  • Ruyen
    46 posts Member
    Options
    @theanswer3 @MasterSeedy
    What's the strat and kill order in Round 2? Is it somehow easier than it looks, because it looks worse than R1, which is terrible.
  • Options
    level 85 gear 8 both needing the last final piece to go to gear 9

This. I was only level 80 (having a credit crunch) but was in exactly the same place on gear, so those last 5 levels probably didn't mean much.

@Ruyen

Since both @theanswer3 and I eventually completed it at that gear, I would imagine that if you get Luke to g9 it will be even easier.

Took about 12 total attempts for me, including 4 or 5 when I was just doing my first two attacks, seeing if they kill Scout, then starting over hoping to get both Luke & STH to crit in the same effort.

So even after you get g9 you'll still probably have to try more than once, but you should be able to do it if you try a few times.
  • Options
    @ruyen

I honestly don't remember the second battle too well, since I only got to it 3 times and the first time was a blur of (my) death.

If I remember correctly, though, there's a Scout Trooper in round2 as well, and I'd kill that one first. The big boss is like the boss in the first fight where he does minimal damage lots and lots of times, so you want to keep him around to feed you TM when Han taunts.
  • Ruyen
    46 posts Member
    Options
    @MasterSeedy
    The r2 boss is a commander who heals, and one taunting ST. I'm guessing you save up Luke's special from r1 and try to down one before a heal or taunt goes off, but there are two magmas, a Snow and maybe a Scout.

Also, which mods ended up working for ya? Speed or hp for Han? Crit chance, dmg or Speed for Luke?
  • theanswer3
    23 posts Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Beasthunt wrote: »
    I'm G8 STH and G8 Luke and I get demolished. I barely make it to round 2 with a yellow bar Luke and a dead Han.

No pro-consumer thought was put into this. More carrot dangling. Such a shame.

I was in the same boat trust me. Thought there was no way i would beat it. First i wasnt at level 85 so i did that after credit heist, then went up a gear level for han and took it as far as i could before gear crunch. My han and luke are both gear 8/5. You really do need to slap on your 5 star mods, I went crit chance, crit chance(with crit damge secondary), health for luke. For han it was health health defense. I did end up taking mods from my arena team so it was all 5 dot mods.

@Ruyen
    2nd battle i did the same strategy as the first, I attacked twice with han before i used his taunt. And i was lucky. Got a crit one shot kill with luke in both rounds to make it easier.
  • Options
    @Ruyen

I used 2 crit chance sets, with a speed primary on the arrow, 1 health set, and as much offense as I could get on the secondaries.

The primary on my Triangle was Crit Damage. I had about +12-15% (total 46%, I think) crit chance, +35% or so crit damage.
  • Options
    Anyone beat it that wasn't even 80 yet? If so, any additional tips?
  • Options
    Ruyen wrote: »
    Anyone beat it that wasn't even 80 yet? If so, any additional tips?
    Anyone?
    I'm prepping to spend most of the last day trying again, after another round of upgrades and mod-work but, if I can't beat it after that, I'll be breaking my phone.
  • Options
    Sorry. I'm level 85. I'm recent to level 85 and low gear compared to a lot of folks (I have 0 characters with gear 11 and about 10 above gear8). My r2d2 was still g6 until yesterday or the day before when I went g7. But I guess that doesn't matter on the STHan/Luke level.

But just so you know, even if my player level is 85, none of my toons were above level 80. They were all level 76, 78 or 80 (since even numbered levels are required to unlock omegas & I only leveled them as much as I needed). I think my Luke was 76 and my STHan was either 78 or 80 when I finally beat tier3. I leveled them all up to 80 and Leia up to 82 before i finally earned my Commander Luke.