Let's make SWGOH great again!

I shudder using that phrase, but I thought it might garner more attention.

I'll start by saying that I enjoy the game and have for a year and a half, but every new bit seems to add to the slog and take away from that enjoyment. Rather than simply presenting a laundry list of complaints, I offer possible solutions (along with the complaints). Some of the following was gathered from other threads and are not original ideas.

1. Challenges are not challenging. Nor do they offer useful rewards. Add another tier to each challenge and make gear rewards relevant to that tier(and relevant to the player) instead of simply offering a greater number of gear items which are unusable.

2. Gear Glut. Not gear crunch - that's something worse. Having increased drops for some gear and making others available in only one battle leads to the accumulation of unneeded gear. For players sitting on 2500+ of the same gear piece unusable by any of their toons, why not offer an exchange system? Trade in 5 of a Mk. I item for a single Mk. II item and so on. The 5:1 ratio ensures your profits don't dip as no one has over 48 million Mk. I pieces to trade in for a single Mk. XII, but players can at the least get rid of useless gear in exchange for a bit of help towards progression.

3. Gear Glut II. This must have been brought up at an internal meeting at some point and for whatever reason, was ignored. There are 12 gear tiers and 9 tiers of Light Side/Dark Side battles. For tier 1 battles, use Mk I & II gear as rewards. For tier 2 battles, use Mk. II & III, all the way up to tier 9 battles with rewards of Mk. X & XI. The logic is built in: for new players, the rewards progress along with their own progression allowing them to advance at a steady rate. For long-term players, as they develop stronger teams, they can more easily access the gear they need. This is already done to a point, but only for some of the gear. The things we need the most of are generally available in one area. It may even be profitable as players who wish to will be powering through energy refreshes.

4. Welcome new players. Besides giving them a young shard in which they can be competitive, what incentive is there to join the game at this point? I actually don't know - do they start with several viable toons? Way back when, I think I started with Chewie, Jedi Consul and a loaf of stale bread. The epic events are few and far between. Requiring a wide selection of otherwise unused toons to acquire the latest OP toons ensures that new players are locked out of them. Further, the raid-exclusive toons and gear are unattainable. What guild would invite a player just starting out to join them? New players can look wistfully at the powers of the toons that will forever be locked in their inventory. You could add beginner-tier raids that award shards for toons that would be useful in the regular raids?

5. Ally points. This is a quality of life thing, really. Please, PLEASE - add a slider. We already need to log in 20X a day to do various things, requiring a free hour to blow through 100k ally points shouldn't also be necessary. Also, how about a refresh of the possible drops - by now, most long-term players have all the shards they need and no longer use any of the toons whose shards are possible drops. Likewise with the gear. Is it worth the time to mindlessly push that button, hoping that it isn't another Mk I gear drop? You've got our roster data. It might be fiddly, but when a toon reaches 7* in a player's roster, lower that drop rate while increasing the drop rate of unfinished toons by the equivalent amount. Or add the latest required event toons on a rotation basis? If that would upset your bottom line, you could add some different, older toons that don't see much use anymore. The latest addition of gear to the shard shop is nice, but that's a short-term thing as, eventually, we'll be swimming in several thousand of those gear pieces as well (if we're willing to use our vacation days at work to hit that bronzium button repeatedly hoping to to gather enough shards to trade-in).

6. Guild member point tallies. I think I remember it working at one point just after guilds were introduced. That might have been a dream.

7. Lighten up on the RNG. We don't live our lives by tossing the dice or flipping a coin before any action or endeavour. Except in-game. New toons are released at a break-neck pace with every 3rd or 4th one being more OP than ever before. Eventually, those legendary toons' shards go on sale but that, in itself, is a gamble. Listing 5~330 shards is disingenuous unless you reveal that there is an 80% chance at the low end and a 0.5% chance at the high end. Whether spending in-game currency or fiat currency, the odds are that your payment will effectively earn nothing - a few shards and the character remains locked. Whales might keep hitting that button (and thus have a better chance at the 0.5% chance), but the majority of players will be left with their few pitiful shards until you eventually release them as farmable (at 5 times/day with poor drop rates). Farming gear or shards is basically drops in a bucket at this point. Sisyphus would feel bad for the players. With an average drop rate of 20% and a single character requiring 200~400 of a single gear piece, one gear slot requires simming a single battle 1000~2000 times. Not entertaining. Further, refilling energy because you only need a few more pieces to craft, then going 0/45 is kind of a kick in the pants. Make the drops 1:1 - you sim, you get what's listed. We'll still need to spam the sim button 200~400 times, but you may see an increase in revenue as we'll be more willing to pay for crystals knowing that doing so will actually earn what we're after.

8. Seriously - lighten up on the RNG. RNG is not a substitute for AI. When I enter an Arena battle, I check out the other team - stats, mods, etc. I generally go in knowing I have a mathematical edge. I'll have 5~15k more power, better speed, potency and enough tenacity to fend off the nasty stuff. Then AI determines that initial speed is irrelevant and the AI will go first. I'll inevitably take a loss because my specials don't land while the AI never misses. Boo! Shame! I get that AI is hard to do and once players figure out how the AI works for different toons, they could win every time. But shouldn't they? They beat the odds in grinding out toon shards, then gear, somehow managed to to gather enough Zeta mats and mods (even the triangle!), did their research into the opponent's stats and... got stomped. I'm sorry that I don't have a solution here - just me whining.

9. Make push notifications accurate. Another quality of life thing. About once a week, I get a push notification: "Credit Heist has begun". Awesome! I love credit heists - another 7 billion credits, and everyone will be topped off and decently modded! Log in to the game - no heist. Do a hard reset of the app because usually, the credit heist/training droid event doesn't appear until after a reset. Still nothing.
Equally as frequently, a guild member informs the group of the event, we do a hard reset, finish it and the next day the push notification appears. I thought it was my old phone for a long time. It isn't.

10. Zetas. See above points on RNG. If you don't want players to have them, why did you add them? Finishing top 100 in fleet battles AND getting the occasional ("occasional" is maybe generous) one in ship challenges takes about 4~7 weeks to accumulate enough for a single zeta power (I admit, I spend on ship shards, too for the few I haven't finished). At that rate, a player could fully zeta CLS and R2 and still have 8 weeks left in a year. 1:1 drop in challenges or harder challenges with better drops would sort that out and you wouldn't have to slow down releasing zeta powers for every toon. I love them - but at this rate, I'll never get to use them outside of a few toons.

11. Squad Arena Tag-the-Top. I am of the firm belief that the large portion of the players in this game have lives that may not correspond to an in-game timer. Currently, as arena payout time nears, players must make an end-run to attain a higher rank and hope that others aren't targetting them at the same time. Nothing says "tough luck" like analyzing a mathematically inferior opponent (RNG be damned), attempting to make your move into the next tier with just 6 minutes remaining and then seeing "Someone is already battling you." Cheers. Maybe tomorrow.
Finding the online chat room for your shard and coordinating with other players based on their local payout time is one way to go, but what percentage of players actually does that? Instead, what about a tag-the-top system? Keep your timer in place, but, in the 24 hour cycle, determine the highest rank a player has attained - that should be the corresponding prize they receive at payout time. Haven't they earned it? They attained that rank at one point throughout the day which was convenient for them. Why should they be punished because they can't log in at a certain time or because the final fleet battle before payout crashes the game? Everyone will praise you as everyone will benefit.

12. Eliminate inconsequential timers. Yet another quality of life thing. You've already got us - we will log in 50 times a day to do various things. But you've added so much. Is a cool-down timer really required for challenges and daily bronzium cards? We could just sim them all in one shot and be done with that particular part of the game for the day. There's plenty of other things to keep us occupied and the rewards for challenges and bronzium cards provide no draw at all for long-term players.

13. Have reasonable toon-gates. (toons as requirements for the next great thing) I'm currently panic-farming a dozen different things (and making barely noticable progress with any of them because of this). OP toons come out - gotta build up an entirely new squad around them for arena battles. Next must-have toon is coming - better get that never-before utilised team in shape.
TB battles add a further two full teams to that list plus several toons that get bonuses as well as being required. I need to star-up and gear 12 toons just to stay approximately as competitive as I was previously.
I am thankful that you're reworking toons that have been outdated and non-viable. Good work, but doing that shortly before an event requiring toons which were previously on permanent "back-burner" status is not very nice. A perfect metaphor was Old Ben. I joined the game just as his meta was ending. He got placed on the back-burner. But in order to get CLS, I panic-farmed until I had calluses. I geared him up all along the way, finally got that 7th star with several hours to spare and then the battle required the player to sacrifice him in the 3rd round.This was a major moment in the movie. As a game requirement, it was just anticlimactic. I don't think I've used him since (although his update does give him much better utility).
Before the Thrawn event, Phoenix were non-viable outside of a GW alt-team. First Order for the upcoming BB8 event at least gave us some warning, but still, not a team the majority of players would pursue unless everything else was off of their plate.
Double Drops are nice (and thank you for them), but without a better drop rate, double of nothing is still nothing (see point 7).
Hoth Scout and Soldier have been available forever, but the pure definition of "back-burner" toons until they became requirements. With these events, you're effectively telling us how to play - "Put what you're currently working towards on hold because unless you develop these toons, you'll be missing out." I understand that the devs put exactly as much work into a Coruscant Underworld Police toon as they do into a CLS and it's cool that the red-headed step-children are getting to see the light of day but if we're required to pursue these toons, please give more of a heads up (the rumour mill does work quite well), make them viable outside one specific area of the game and only make us work on a few at a time (also refer to points 1, 2, 3, 7 & 10).

14. Spice up the inventory. The myriad in-game currencies and associated shops where each currency is required is novel each time a new one opens up. The inventory rotation isn't so hot. In fact, a lot of the stores' inventory is well-past the sell-by date. This is one area where new players get a helping hand - everything is beneficial to them (if they can afford it). Long-term players have an accumulation of the various credits because they don't require any of the options on offer (except shards for the shard shop until they run out of stuff to buy there). You could offer a simple exchange rate between the various currencies. I'd happily trade 10:1 from credits I never use for credits that I can use. Please, please do something like this before ship gear and its associated shop is released.

15. GW consistency. Sort something out and inform players. I'll go 6 days where my node 12 is against the "3 Star No Synergy All-Stars" and then 4 days where nodes 9, 11 and 12 are G12, zeta as far as the eye can see. I wish I had an arena team with a single one of those glorious toons. Then its back to the "One AOE and We're DOA" squads for another few days. No rhyme or reason between zero challenge and no chance. I don't have time to attempt each of the last 4 battles with various teams 7 or 8 times until I get through with acceptable losses - there's too much other stuff to do in-game. No simple solution for you here again, but I'll wrap up with a softball for you.

16. Give Ugnaught a faction. Poor little guy. All alone with his blow-torch/welder thingy.

Help us, devs. You're our only hope.

Replies

• Olga
    1333 posts Member
    Options
    strerd wrote: »
    8. Seriously - lighten up on the RNG. RNG is not a substitute for AI. When I enter an Arena battle, I check out the other team - stats, mods, etc. I generally go in knowing I have a mathematical edge. I'll have 5~15k more power, better speed, potency and enough tenacity to fend off the nasty stuff. Then AI determines that initial speed is irrelevant and the AI will go first. I'll inevitably take a loss because my specials don't land while the AI never misses. Boo! Shame! I get that AI is hard to do and once players figure out how the AI works for different toons, they could win every time. But shouldn't they? They beat the odds in grinding out toon shards, then gear, somehow managed to to gather enough Zeta mats and mods (even the triangle!), did their research into the opponent's stats and... got stomped. I'm sorry that I don't have a solution here - just me whining..[/i]
    I don't think that's RNG, it's just how the game is coded. The numbers seem heavily stacked about 50% of the time and that's my biggest complaint with the game. I think the recent stats bug was also evidence of this stat stacking. What's the point in playing if the game is just gonna cheat? Why give us 5 arena attempts if they only want us to win 3? Well I think I know why they do it. It's so that players get stomped by the enemy team and think 'Oh those characters are so OP, I better farm them up for myself'. So it's a way to get people farming characters, but for more experienced players, you know the characters aren't as OP as they appear and the game is cheating too often.

• Options
    That's quite possible, too.
  • Options
    +1
    I would dare say that all of your points are spot on and I couldn't agree with you more! Let's HOPE the devs listen. I've been on the forums for over 1 year and 1/2 and I've seen MULTIPLE threads about QOL suggestions similar to this, but not quite as many solutions that you offer, so kudos to you. I just doubt See-Gee and Eee-Aay (They Who Shall Not Be Named ... otherwise they shut my forums account down) really, but I mean REALLY, listen to you on this post as well as many more of us on here. Yeah, sure, they say they do - whatever. When I see an update with 3 points of the 16 you brought up (and there's much more! Just search them!) then I'll respect them more. It's been over 8 months since I've spent a dime on this game and that's because the end-game is stale. If they want me to spend money then many of these points need to come to fruition ASAP! I'm starting to play other games more often, or spend time with my, uh, what was it called... oh yeah! Family because this game isn't fun anymore. Other points you could bring up is:

1) New Characters the Forums Suggest
    - I haven't seen ONE SINGLE suggestion of "Veteran Smuggler Han/Chewie", 3 new Ewoks, etc. Yet, we get them. Wasn't it "Rebel" Chewie many people proposed? These smuggler versions were out of the blue and not many are farming them, at least in my guild. Rather, I've seen many "Character Proposals" of Revan, Jango Fett, Shaak Ti, Droideka, C-3PO, General Pong Krell, Mother Talzin, Padme, etc. and we have yet to see them. Let alone hear about potential future release dates. Which leads into my other point...

2) Why Is Everything So Secretive?
    I do really appreciate the devs coming out at least once every 2 weeks (sometimes 2 or 3 times per week) and updating us on what we will get within the next few days. But why wait til the last minute to tell us? Kind of like you mentioned, it's frustrating farming on such short notice. I get that they want us to buy the packs, and the monthly calendar works great and is very informitive, but why not just tell us at the end of the update something like:

"Our plans over the next 6 months are focusing one way or another on the following factions or characters/ships. Everything is subject to change.

October - First Order rework and new characters. Ships rework and new ships added.

November - New Ships and a new Ships Raid. Mace Windu Rework.

December - New Resistance and First Order. Slight Resistance rework. QOL update from popular forums votes and suggestions. General Grievous Rework.

January - New Faction!! (Knights of Ren or Galactic Republic characters - Padme, Naboo, Gungans) and their ships!

February - Jedi Rework (Kit Fisto, Plo Koon, Eeth Koth, and more!) and New Jedi with their ships! (Shaak Ti, Quinlan Vos, Ki-Adi-Mundi and more!)

March - Separatist rework and new Separatists (Droideka, Pong Krell). Bounty Hunter Rework and new BH (Jango Fett, Bossk). New ships (Souless One, Invisible Hand, more!)

April - Nightsister Rework. Mother Talzin. Clones Rework and new clones.
    New Character - Revan.
    New ships!"

Something like that ^ would be outstanding news and would drive people crazy! I would prepare my paychecks and wallet for news like that. But having 2 days notice is all has overwhelmed me and many of my guildmates the past year. Our GP is 64 million and I'm pretty certain that all of us are F2P now due to not having much to look forward to other than "Quick! Farm this or that because we said so!!"

3) Just Listen to the Forums
    First and foremost, I will hand this to the devs. They have been very open with the community and have listened to our fanboy complaints and suggestions since day one. This game has come very far and improved tremendously since its opening. I've been very impressed over the first year SWGOH was downloaded on my phone. R2D2 was appreciated by many. I remember myself coming in and just making a "Thank You" thread. After QOL 1.0 came out, I commented on many "Thank You" threads agreeing with many and sharing my thanks as well. Obi-Wan verse Vader in the CLS event - awesome! Classic! Nostalgic! Even though I'm sure farming him was rough like you mentioned. I had him when he was meta. However, I feel that over the past 9 months, the devs haven't been listening to us much. Character proposals are getting ignored, ships are getting ignored, many people wanted a Death Star Ship Raid, rather we get random TB which NOBODY wanted/suggested. I understand they want to be original, but from a business perspective, if someone told me they wanted something that I could potentially and easily provide based on my skills and they would pay me good money for it, you bet I would listen and do what they want for themselves AS WELL as throw in my own original ideas. Now people are demanding a "Dark Side" related TB because so many players like me and Ahnald from YouTube prefer the Dark Side. Think we'll ever get it? I personally doubt it, but again, let's HOPE they LISTEN. Let us come on here mostly saying "Thank You" threads rather than complaining - which is what many threads have turned into. Myself included sometimes.

4) Faction Reworks the Forums Suggest
    Based on the tally that SmithieD did, Ewoks were a very small desired rework. Yet, we got 3 new ones in July and their Rework as well as a super cute event out of the blue instead! It's disappointing, really, when all I read here on the forums back in January-June was a "Separatist" or "Nightsister" Rework than many people suggested. Don't believe me, then just search it and see how many threads come up. It's almost as if the devs read them and said in their meetings
    "Well, we have 5,000 unread messages in Feedback that were originally posted in General Discussion in the year 2017 and most of the keywords are: Clone Helmets, Separatist Rework with Pong Krell, General Grievous Rework, New Ships, a Ships Raid, QOL suggestions, Mace Windu Rework, Nightsister Rework, Bounty Hunter Rework with Bossk and Jango Fett, C-3PO, and Revan. We've only added Luke and R2D2 so we're doing them a service! Now we see a lot of DS TB but let's ignore that for now. Hmmm... so about this taking gear out of the Fleet Store..."
    Like I said, Business Perspective. If you want me to help your company pay the bills then give us what we want! I know this comment is pretty "complainy" (not a word, I know), but please just listen to us devs! Give us the QOL update in the OP as well as new characters, reworks, and ships!
  • Options
    something like:

"Our plans over the next 6 months are focusing one way or another on the following factions or characters/ships. Everything is subject to change.

October - First Order rework and new characters. Ships rework and new ships added.

November - New Ships and a new Ships Raid. Mace Windu Rework.

December - New Resistance and First Order. Slight Resistance rework. QOL update from popular forums votes and suggestions. General Grievous Rework.

January - New Faction!! (Knights of Ren or Galactic Republic characters - Padme, Naboo, Gungans) and their ships!

February - Jedi Rework (Kit Fisto, Plo Koon, Eeth Koth, and more!) and New Jedi with their ships! (Shaak Ti, Quinlan Vos, Ki-Adi-Mundi and more!)

March - Separatist rework and new Separatists (Droideka, Pong Krell). Bounty Hunter Rework and new BH (Jango Fett, Bossk). New ships (Souless One, Invisible Hand, more!)

April - Nightsister Rework. Mother Talzin. Clones Rework and new clones.
    New Character - Revan.
    New ships!"

Where do I vote to put you in charge of release schedule?

• Options
    These are all great ideas.
    strerd wrote: »
    Way back when, I think I started with Chewie, Jedi Consul and a loaf of stale bread.

I remember those days. That stale loaf of bread was my best character. :p Try telling that to the kids today...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Xe1a1wHxTyo
  • Options
    I remember those days. That stale loaf of bread was my best character.

I built my arena team around it. :D

• Options
    More or less. I think there is some issue between older and younger players (and there always is) where our options were very few when we started - the game was far more straight forward. But now the games shifts a lot faster and demands a lot more from a new player. I don't know how much that can be fixed.

The fact that it's confirmed that the game messes with damage and RNG far more then was stated... and a lot more like we already thought it did... is annoying. Cost of playing I suppose, but if there was a 5% add to damage while on defense - it should just be stated. Defensive team gets home base bonus - just say it.

Which leads to the shroud of mystery you mentioned. IDK. New events are one thing... when events passed are going to pop-up again are something else. RNG when grinding is very streaky - why not just say it is or isnt coded to be that way. It's disheartening that so much information on here is via guesswork or 'elbow grease' from dedicated players and Excel, and no wonder people get the wrong information all the time.
    #AcolyteShootsTwice
  • Options
    Waaahhhhhhhh