Warning in arena

Prev1
There should be a warning saying that you’re in a battle or an enemy is in a battle before you actually go to battle them. Like maybe put “in battle” on the button that says “battle” on it. Or if you’re in a battle put “you’re in a battle” on it. I just wasted 50 crystals because I refreshed so I could jump from 6th to 2nd (200 crystal difference in payout) but someone was already in a battle with me. Payout happened a few seconds after they ended the battle with me and I ended in 10th.

Replies

• scuba
    14066 posts Member
    Options
    Even if they did that you could still waste the crystals.
    In the time it takes to acknowledge the using crystals and clicking battle in the squad selection screen someone could have started a battle with you.
    So then the complaints would be "it didn't say I was in battle so I refreshed then it said I was in battle.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options
    The issue with this is that you are not looking at "live data" the button press to refresh is what refreshes your data to see who is in what position. any "in battle" update would need to be tied to something like this anyway so it would be hard to fill the purpose of what you want.

to truly do this why would need to have a huge amount of server traffic and be pushing updates to all players in that screen.
  • xtended2l
    85 posts Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    Kyno wrote: »
    to truly do this why would need to have a huge amount of server traffic and be pushing updates to all players in that screen.

Tbh, informing client app that the battle is ended will even SAVE traffic, because currently, when players dont know the state of their squad, they just keep pushing "Battle" button dozen times to enter the battle faster and save valuable seconds.
    Returning the timeout for current battle will also show positive influence on traffic. As they can simply block buttons, and prevent spam of tries to enter the battle.
    inbattle="1"
    battletimeout="203"
    converting this to network packages will make it several bytes that will save a lot of Kbytes per client.
    Post edited by xtended2l on
    The balance? Never heard of that.
  • xtended2l
    85 posts Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    Simple like this:
    SWGOH_Arena_Screen.png
  • Options
    Well they could at least implement a check at the time you try to refresh and tell you that your refresh will put you up in a situation where you cannot immediately attack.

I also think that we all understand the concept of not seeing the live state in the arena battle selection screen. There is also no automatic update to the ranking if it changes while you look at the screen. I do not see the problem of adding useful information for players to make educated decisions. There might be the problem that a ticking counter suggest an up-to-date information, but this could be handled with a simple text like this: "The info displayed in this screen might not be up-to-date!"

@Kyno: We had the discussion about the effect on traffic before (on another similar topic post) and you might recall that i disagree with you for similar reasons that @xtended2l brought forth. For a moderator you should really hold back with stating your opinions as if they were facts.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options
    xtended2l wrote: »

Tbh, informing client app that the battle is ended will even SAVE traffic, because currently, when players dont know the state of their squad, they just keep pushing "Battle" button dozen times to enter the battle faster and save valuable seconds.
    Returning the timeout for current battle will also show positive influence on traffic. As they can simply block buttons, and prevent spam of tries to enter the battle.
    inbattle="1"
    battletimeout="203"
    converting this to network packages will make it several bytes that will save a lot of Kbytes per client.

So you are suggesting this would be what the players want? To have a refresh rate slower than they can press a button? The average refresh ->press battle->"acknowledge message"-> repeat, is over 1 second to make it any faster than that would increase traffic... but I dont think players would want to wait longer. Connectivity would play more into a system like that, where someone with a slower connection could be waiting long to "stop being locked out" and then not get into a battle...
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options
    YodaHeIs wrote: »
    Well they could at least implement a check at the time you try to refresh and tell you that your refresh will put you up in a situation where you cannot immediately attack.

I also think that we all understand the concept of not seeing the live state in the arena battle selection screen. There is also no automatic update to the ranking if it changes while you look at the screen. I do not see the problem of adding useful information for players to make educated decisions. There might be the problem that a ticking counter suggest an up-to-date information, but this could be handled with a simple text like this: "The info displayed in this screen might not be up-to-date!"

Kyno: We had the discussion about the effect on traffic before (on another similar topic post) and you might recall that i disagree with you for similar reasons that xtended2l brought forth. For a moderator you should really hold back with stating your opinions as if they were facts.

As a full time player I am also concerned about the game and its functionality. Just as you are.

I am only stating opinions, at no point did I say this cant work and here is the facts to prove it. I am sharing my understanding about the situation just as other are.
  • xtended2l
    85 posts Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    So you are suggesting this would be what the players want? To have a refresh rate slower than they can press a button? The average refresh ->press battle->"acknowledge message"-> repeat, is over 1 second to make it any faster than that would increase traffic... but I dont think players would want to wait longer. Connectivity would play more into a system like that, where someone with a slower connection could be waiting long to "stop being locked out" and then not get into a battle...
    I agree with your last statement, that's why the server has to send another package to the player, as soon as the battle is over. The game automatically updates the button and allows player to fight.

In addition to my previous image, this one will save a lot of traffic and player nerves as well:

SWGOH_Arena_Screen2.png

I think it is self-explaining.
  • Options
    Ok, i think what @xtended2l was suggesting is to have client local timers that run independent and with no interaction with the servers. Those will be as accurate as all the other information on that screen (i.e. the ranking and the possible selection of opponents). If you want the information to be correct, hit refresh. That way you will need two more variables per opponent transferred to the client (which is irrelevant looking at what all is available in the screen already (the team of the opponents each with number of stars and gear level, maybe even the stats that are available when clicking on the opponents characters). But you gain a lot of insight for the player base.
  • Options
    @Kyno I edited my comment and it disappeared again... This forum drives me crazy sometimes...
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options
    Kyno I edited my comment and it disappeared again... This forum drives me crazy sometimes...

Got it for you
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    edited April 2018
    Options
    I agree with your last statement, that's why the server has to send another package to the player, as soon as the battle is over. The game automatically updates the button and allows player to fight.

In addition to my previous image, this one will save a lot of traffic and player nerves as well:

SWGOH_Arena_Screen2.png

I see what your getting at, sorry for my misunderstanding.

The issue with this would be "is it accurate"

Not all battles take the same or even the full time. I'm not sure how you address the "player in battle" without server updates, currently it is a manual process which reduces traffic. Here would be server side which forces a base level of traffic.
  • Options
    Kyno I edited my comment and it disappeared again... This forum drives me crazy sometimes...

Got it for you

• TVF
    36612 posts Member
    Options
    Do you really run into this problem that often? I see it maybe once every few days.
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    Options
    Isn't this just one of the risk you take when refreshing in order to snipe someone?
    Save water, drink champagne!
  • Options
    @TVF: I think so. In my payout there are several active players that we cannot get into our chat which cause massive needs for interlocking ourselves and timing the next lock very accurately. I only ran into it once myself, but i would assume that some of the non shard chat player might run into this more often.

@leef: It does not have to be a case of sniping. If I end my climb close to the payout, and do not know if the person on the position is in the same payout it might be a legitimate attack. This mechanism would make it more obvious who is actively playing. Also it will help if multiple people are trying to get up to indicate that another one was faster than you were.
  • Options
    Which brings me to another suggestion, so listen up devs:
    It would be nice if there was an indicator for all opponents with payout coming up at the end of the hour. This could also alleviate a lot of back and forth.
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    Options

leef: It does not have to be a case of sniping. If I end my climb close to the payout, and do not know if the person on the position is in the same payout it might be a legitimate attack. This mechanism would make it more obvious who is actively playing. Also it will help if multiple people are trying to get up to indicate that another one was faster than you were.

Regardless of who you chose to attack, it's the risk you take when refreshing just before pay-out. Changing it would make sniping easier no matter how you slice it, so i don't think it's a desirable change.
    Save water, drink champagne!
  • TVF
    36612 posts Member
    Options
    It would be nice if there was an indicator for all opponents with payout coming up at the end of the hour. This could also alleviate a lot of back and forth.

That would be fantastic, I just don't know how difficult it would be to put in place.
  • Options
    Ha, I just started a thread about this very thing in the same section a couple hours ago...
  • Options
    Macattack9 wrote: »
    Ha, I just started a thread about this very thing in the same section a couple hours ago...

Sorry, i didn't mean to steal your idea, I honestly didn't read it before posting it here. But I agree with you.
  • Options
    No worries; it's a good idea!
  • Options

SWGOH_Arena_Screen2.png

Not all battles take the same or even the full time. I'm not sure how you address the "player in battle" without server updates, currently it is a manual process which reduces traffic. Here would be server side which forces a base level of traffic.

I tried to collect all my thoughts here:
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1hj8JjEM_YH9aoXR0ma4UnOkL1nONI79gZmMztLI37Z0/edit?usp=sharing
  • TVF
    36612 posts Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    Deleted because the post I responded to disappeared.
    Post edited by TVF on
  • Options

SWGOH_Arena_Screen2.png

I have created a comparison table of how it should be, imo:
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1hj8JjEM_YH9aoXR0ma4UnOkL1nONI79gZmMztLI37Z0/edit#gid=1506187983
  • Options

This is the internet. If they added that there would be dozens of people intentionally sniping you to a lower payout for lolz with that added info.
  • Options
    DuneFlint wrote: »

This is the internet. If they added that there would be dozens of people intentionally sniping you to a lower payout for lolz with that added info.

I doubt it. Those people who intentionally sniped you are accountable for that and would be prone to getting sniped at their own payout as retribution. So just in the name of self-interest, most would not maliciously snipe. And those who did would learn better soon enough.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options

SWGOH_Arena_Screen2.png

I have created a comparison table of how it should be, imo:
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1hj8JjEM_YH9aoXR0ma4UnOkL1nONI79gZmMztLI37Z0/edit#gid=1506187983

I understand your points but I still think it will have a lack of accuracy, and once you start locking out buttons that lack of accuracy can start to cost players more battles.

When you enter a bottle there is anywhere from a 10-20 second delay. I dont know if this is on my end or the server side but that could cause a discrepancy between the client and server timing.

There can also be a delay on the back end of the match if the timer runs out, that you show as locked to others.

Maybe these can all be ironed out or maybe they are built in "debounce" to account for communication and server handling. This becomes a bigger issue when you start talking about locking people out of being able to press the button.

It's all speculation on the difficulty but it does make for a lot of background work just to make it viable. Just to replace the "simple" push to check button we have now.

On a side note, there is also elements of strategy and gameplay to this that are just as useful to over come the situation you describe. It's in part a big game of chicken at PO, knowing you opponent and how quick you can beat them, waiting to the last second to attack or lock someone else.....
  • Options
    I agree on the strategy part kyno. In my fleet shard it's a huge game of chicken. How much time do i need to take 1st back if they lock me out before i lock them out? How much time am i leaving them to take 1st if i lock them out first?
  • Options
    Maybe these can all be ironed out or maybe they are built in "debounce" to account for communication and server handling. This becomes a bigger issue when you start talking about locking people out of being able to press the button.

Players can push update button anyway, if they do not trust automatic update from the server...
    On a side note, there is also elements of strategy and gameplay to this that are just as useful to over come the situation you describe. It's in part a big game of chicken at PO, knowing you opponent and how quick you can beat them, waiting to the last second to attack or lock someone else.....

I am using these strategies everyday btw... I forgot about this aspect))) Can't say its fair though, but I play this chicken game beter than opponents in my shard))