Mods.. the true meta?

Replies

• Options
    I had slower teams beat my team. So mods are important..sometimes RNG works in people favor. Mods/gear/team synergy/abilities used/targets picked is what's really important.

On the subject of mods..this past week I got 2 mods within minutes apart from each other that ended up being the fastest I've ever gotten.

https://imgur.com/a/7UiReWZ
  • Options
    MntMan wrote: »
    Ahh. OK. I see your reference point then. To be honest a few teams I have can solo heroic pit and I agree that speed is not a factor there. Not trying to brag, far from it, just more to point out that I'm talking more at the higher level of play. Arena, HAAT, TW, TB and Sith Raid speed becomes very important where you can have OK gear (not even maxed level 12 which is the 3 pieces), but if you have all great speed primary and secondaries you can beat out a maxed gear team with only mediocre speed mods.

Taking speed out of the equation, I would agree that mods otherwise aren't a deal maker. But that's kind of it. Mods are the only thing that provide major bumps in speed. So I kind of agree. Mods are not the factor. Speed is. If there was another way to bump speed in a big way we'd be talking about that instead of mods doing it.

As for your Pit team try Wedge Lead, CLS, Thrawn, Rex, and Raid Han. Rex will take care of any cleanse that may cause a hiccup in part 1 and of course thrawn can protect up and give TM as needed. Since I went that team I don't have to babysit at all. I used to use jyn but she wans't doing much for me.

Thank you for the suggestion. I will try that. Usually once the side pigs go, and the death mark is taken care of, I don't have to worry.
  • MntMan
    281 posts Member
    Options
    leef wrote: »

What's the difference between those 3 to 5 teams and good/amazing mods that makes the mods the true meta, and not those teams?
    It's a whole lot more difficult to do great in arena (offensively and defensively) with a non-meta team, but with amazing mods than it is with a meta team with "OK" mods. By non-meta i don't mean cup etc, more like a jedi team for example. With "OK" mods i mean 10-20 less speed on average, or even 10-30 less i dunno. I'm trying to be realistic and not outlandish.

OK so here's maybe the disconnect. We all agree with you that a super speed modded Jedi team is not going to beat an OK modded meta team. Btw a CUP team and a Jedi team aren't far off given how Jedi are for all intents and purposes. Realistically there are only a handful of meta team configurations right now. All things subject to change with future releases/updates.

Within those configurations there are a couple variations as well. Do you prefer Sith Trooper or GK. Stuff like that. At the top everyone is only running these teams and I 100% agree that team strategy (i.e. team versus the right team) is very very important. The thing is that at the top of the food chain anyone truly competing probably has 3-4 of the meta teams so they can counter/change/adapt as needed and when they do you bet they'll be moving their speed mods to the right team for the advantage.

What we're all saying is that given equal footing speed will make the difference. At the top everyone is on equal footing with teams/gear/etc for the most part or pretty close. I.e. they have maxed level/stars and abilities 3-4 meta teams in their stable they can pull from. Someone might have a meta team at G10 and not G12 and from what we saw the difference can be made up for with speed. If speed wasn't there then the likelihood of beating the G12 team (using the favorable match up team at only G10) is drastically lessened. It's also the case of having the same gear levels, but maybe only have a 6 star character or two and beating a team with all 7 star characters. No other stat makes up that difference. No one is scrambling to secondary their crit avoidance. So therefore one stat is more important than the others and it can mitigate things like lower gear levels. It's a shame that's the case, but I'm not sure what the solution is.

• Options
    Mods make a difference when it is like vs like. If JTR vs JTR. If one R2 and BB8 are faster, say near the 300s and the other is in the 260s for speed, the team with the 300s are going to have a huge advantage. It is one makes the difference in arena from say top 50 to top 10. Most people all have comparable toons in your shard. It is the mods that separates them.
  • ScottyLee
    221 posts Member
    Options

What's the difference between those 3 to 5 teams and good/amazing mods that makes the mods the true meta, and not those teams?
    It's a whole lot more difficult to do great in arena (offensively and defensively) with a non-meta team, but with amazing mods than it is with a meta team with "OK" mods. By non-meta i don't mean cup etc, more like a jedi team for example. With "OK" mods i mean 10-20 less speed on average, or even 10-30 less i dunno. I'm trying to be realistic and not outlandish.

OK so here's maybe the disconnect. We all agree with you that a super speed modded Jedi team is not going to beat an OK modded meta team. Btw a CUP team and a Jedi team aren't far off given how Jedi are for all intents and purposes. Realistically there are only a handful of meta team configurations right now. All things subject to change with future releases/updates.

Within those configurations there are a couple variations as well. Do you prefer Sith Trooper or GK. Stuff like that. At the top everyone is only running these teams and I 100% agree that team strategy (i.e. team versus the right team) is very very important. The thing is that at the top of the food chain anyone truly competing probably has 3-4 of the meta teams so they can counter/change/adapt as needed and when they do you bet they'll be moving their speed mods to the right team for the advantage.

What we're all saying is that given equal footing speed will make the difference. At the top everyone is on equal footing with teams/gear/etc for the most part or pretty close. I.e. they have maxed level/stars and abilities 3-4 meta teams in their stable they can pull from. Someone might have a meta team at G10 and not G12 and from what we saw the difference can be made up for with speed. If speed wasn't there then the likelihood of beating the G12 team (using the favorable match up team at only G10) is drastically lessened. It's also the case of having the same gear levels, but maybe only have a 6 star character or two and beating a team with all 7 star characters. No other stat makes up that difference. No one is scrambling to secondary their crit avoidance. So therefore one stat is more important than the others and it can mitigate things like lower gear levels. It's a shame that's the case, but I'm not sure what the solution is.

One possible solution is lowering the top speed attainable on a mod, or making it much, much easier to get the top speed mods. Right now, the top speed on a mod is 29 I believe, and it's a unicorn, heck, 20 is a unicorn. But if everyone had a bunch of mods in the 20's on their arena teams, the playing field would level. However, this will bring RNG back into the equation much like ships is. Right now, the difference between top 10 arena players and everyone else the amount of high speed mods, plain and simple.
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    Options

So you agree that the team you're using is in fact more important than the mods you're using? wich is all i'm saying.
    For top tier arena you'll need both the team and the mods. No sollution needed, mainly because i don't see the problem.
    Save water, drink champagne!
  • Options
    Great post OP.

I wish secondaries in general had never been introduced. Mods should have only one primary attribute. That way you have to choose what mod sets you want to run based on your style of play and the characters you’re drawn too. If you want lots of speed and hit plenty of times before the other team that’s fine, but the counter would be lots of defense, health, protection etc. Or you could run lots of offense, crit damage, crit chance that cuts down enemies quicker. Or you could have a mixture where you sacrifice a little of each.

The point is secondaries let players have their cake and eat it too. With so called “god mods” you can be fast, tanky, and hit like Mack truck. Why not make players “choose” their play style...

That’s my two cents.
  • Options
    Great post OP.

I wish secondaries in general had never been introduced. Mods should have only one primary attribute. That way you have to choose what mod sets you want to run based on your style of play and the characters you’re drawn too. If you want lots of speed and hit plenty of times before the other team that’s fine, but the counter would be lots of defense, health, protection etc. Or you could run lots of offense, crit damage, crit chance that cuts down enemies quicker. Or you could have a mixture where you sacrifice a little of each.

The point is secondaries let players have their cake and eat it too. With so called “god mods” you can be fast, tanky, and hit like Mack truck. Why not make players “choose” their play style...

That’s my two cents.

That would streamline things, but the point of mods was to customize your characters. That doesn't happen much in arena since speed is the focus there. Since speed is the main priority, things like making Baze a tankier tank, or making Papa Palp the most potent character possible are all back burner after thoughts. A lot of the top players in my shard, undoubtedly the other shards too, will forego a mod set bonus for an extra 5+ speed. IMHO, that would make the point of having mod bonuses pointless, at least in the arena.
  • MntMan
    281 posts Member
    Options
    Whitefly I think that's exactly it. The secondaries should never have been included because you don't really need to choose now. You can search for your primary and secondary matched up, but to be honest even the bonus for sets matters less than the secondary speed. If they got rid of secondaries AND they made mods sticky like gear then you'd have to choose which mods to which toons and commit as opposed to collecting a set of nice mods and moving it to the team you are using at the moment. I think that may have been the original intent with the "destroy" option. So you could in fact switch or upgrade your mods, but you'd have to destroy it to do and given the rarity of god mods you'd never do that.

Leef - Honestly the only thing missing from this internet argument now is people insulting each other and i'm glad we haven't gone there. But seriously. No one anywhere has said team versus team doesn't matter. It was in the opening salvo where the joke was made about using a CUP squad. Of course no one is using a CUP squad, but no one would try and roll out a Jedi squad against Sith either. (Btw saw they updated Plo Kloon's leader ability icon. Finally. Ive been asking for that for ages. They really have their finger on the pulse). Everyone has access to the same strategy thanks to the internet so no one is getting an edge here. Just takes some farming and if you don't have the right toons you can't expect to be in the top 50 and you shouldn't expect it. And at lower levels speed helps too, but really whats the point.

I really don't know how to say it plainer, but I think others understand so I guess I'll take that as a win. All things being equal with two people having similair stables of characters you can allow for a variance of gear levels, star levels and toon levels (though who doesn't have 85 for all important). By this I mean some can have G10 and some G12 and you can over come that. But you can't have a variance of speed and expect to win. If you're behind on gear, stars or level you can mitigate with speed. You can't mitigate with potency, crit damage, etc. If you're behind on speed you're toast. That's it. Sure if you put together a trash squad you can have all the speed you want, but no one is doing that. We've all figured out the counter team or can figure it out with google.
  • Options
    Whitefly I think that's exactly it. The secondaries should never have been included because you don't really need to choose now. You can search for your primary and secondary matched up, but to be honest even the bonus for sets matters less than the secondary speed. If they got rid of secondaries AND they made mods sticky like gear then you'd have to choose which mods to which toons and commit as opposed to collecting a set of nice mods and moving it to the team you are using at the moment. I think that may have been the original intent with the "destroy" option. So you could in fact switch or upgrade your mods, but you'd have to destroy it to do and given the rarity of god mods you'd never do that.

I disagree with the destroy button, I would assume that it would have to do with credit crunch. Moving mods adds up and depending on where you are in the game, why waste credits removing a 1 or 2 dot mod for a 5 dot replacement? Secondaries are good, when speed is taken out of the equation, or setting up a raid team. For raids you do want speed, but those secondaries become more important.
  • superallywatp
    39 posts Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Mods are meta sums it up almost but not quite.

Speed mods are the meta. With constant new game-breaking characters like Sion getting introduced and more and more people with 120+ x5 speed mod rosters we are quickly seeing the true issue of this game.

Nothing will be ‘balanced’ until speed is fixed. Nothing will bring back those quitting the game until that is balanced.

I won’t hold my breath.
  • Options
    Mods are meta sums it up almost but not quite.

Speed mods are the meta. With constant new game-breaking characters like Sion getting introduced and more and more people with 120+ x5 speed mod rosters we are quickly seeing the true issue of this game.

Nothing will be ‘balanced’ until speed is fixed. Nothing will bring back those quitting the game until that is balanced.

I won’t hold my breath.

I wouldn't say speed is broken. Speed upgrades with mods is fine. The drop rate is awful for speed secondaries, but that keeps us in a state of having to choose between farming mods for speed, or farming vets. Having to choose which portion of the game, as frustrating as it is to slip in arena, gives the player control of what they want to be important. It's been said elsewhere, but the only reward from arena is crystals, which speed up the game. Most of the valuable characters from the arena store should be 7*, depending on how long one has played. I only have 1 ug shard and am working on CUP because hes the last there is, then its credit currency.
  • Achilles
    1380 posts Member
    Options
    The real META is RNG.
    Left by design.
    The fixed payout times are the worst part of this game and makes it absolutely family-unfriendly.
  • Options
    Achilles wrote: »
    The real META is RNG.

I'm not so sure. During a certain point of the game, on the tables, maybe. I've had times where it seemed like I was never going to get an attack in, but landed up winning because I played my hand just right. Poor RNG can be overcome with careful strategy.
  • Achilles
    1380 posts Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Poor RNG can be overcome with careful strategy.
    Sometimes, not always ...
    Worst example is Fleet arena ... usually the player (bc of more intelligent control) wins, but once RNG decides to be against you, you have no chance in turning it back to a win. No matter what strategy you choice. In really bad cases your fleet gets destroyed without your capital ship getting a single turn (=no reinforcement), just because of bad RNG. And im not talking about a beginners 250k fleet fighting vs a 450k fleet. Its a 450k+ vs another 450k+ fleet, meaning TIE maxed and all the other pilots maxed or at least G12.

Troop arena as well ... letting Traya out now, the most common squads are palp/vader combos and rex/wampa combos ... Vader usually goes first and uses his force crush followed by culling blade (if not the opponent team goes next) ... now, in many battles, you have 5 vs 5 chars having all 100% TM bc of palps and rex leader ... whos turn is next? first in - first out? No. The fastest speed? No. Who else? RNG ... its pure random who moves next. In case your Thrawn wins, try Grand Admirals Command, guess who gets the turn. The one you've choicen? No ... Its again RNG. IMO the most stupid and pure coded part in this game.

Not to mention the 70% chance palp has on his aoe-ability. in case the opponents palp stuns your entire team, you have nearly no chance to turn the battle back into a win (assuming the teams are equal powerful).
    Left by design.
    The fixed payout times are the worst part of this game and makes it absolutely family-unfriendly.
  • Options
    Poor RNG can be overcome with careful strategy.
    Sometimes, not always ...
    Worst example is Fleet arena ... usually the player (bc of more intelligent control) wins, but once RNG decides to be against you, you have no chance in turning it back to a win. No matter what strategy you choice. In really bad cases your fleet gets destroyed without your capital ship getting a single turn (=no reinforcement), just because of bad RNG. And im not talking about a beginners 250k fleet fighting a 450k fleet. Its a 450k+ vs another 450k+ fleet, meaning TIE maxed and all the other pilots maxed or at least G12.

Troop arena as well ... letting Traya out now, the most common squads are palp/vader combos and rex/wampa combos ... Vader usually goes first and uses his force crush followed by culling blade (if not the opponent team goes next) ... now, in many battles, you have 5 vs 5 chars having all 100% TM bc of palps and rex leader ... whos turn is next? first in - first out? No. The fastest speed? No. Who else? RNG ... its pure random who moves next. In case your Thrawn wins, try Grand Admirals Command, guess who gets the turn. The one you've choicen? No ... Its again RNG. IMO the most **** and pure coded part in this game.

Not to mention the 70% chance palp has on his aoe-ability. in case the opponents palp stuns your entire team, you have nearly no chance to turn the battle back into a win (assuming the teams are equal powerful).

But it still is possible. I try to use my Thrawn to get whoever was stunned by palp moving again, usually Nihilus, and then Nihilus goes next. I'm not saying RNG doesn't play a role, but it's not the end all, be all. I have recovered from a full team stun and won. I don't play arena more than I have to. 2x and I'm content to be between 100-50.
  • Options
    Well the average speed on the top 10 best teams in my shard is about +600 speed for the squad. On occasion I have seen people with +60 speed squads with mods that don't even make sense (think defense set on an attacker) climb to one if we aren't vigilant. So while good mods certainly make your life easier, you can evidently win without them.
  • Achilles
    1380 posts Member
    Options
    But it still is possible. I try to use my Thrawn to get whoever was stunned by palp moving again, usually Nihilus, and then Nihilus goes next. I'm not saying RNG doesn't play a role, but it's not the end all, be all. I have recovered from a full team stun and won. I don't play arena more than I have to. 2x and I'm content to be between 100-50.
    Ic, well i play arena 2-10 times, depending on start position, bc i try to get into Top3 every day.
    Left by design.
  • Options
    Ic, well i play arena 2-10 times, depending on start position, bc i try to get into Top3 every day.

I've always attributed drop rates to RNG, not really arena matches. All I can go on is what I experience and I've won a couple matches that I was certain I would loose. Maybe the RNG is the Force and it smiles on me from time to time.
  • ScottyLee
    221 posts Member
    Options
    The real META is RNG.

In arena, RNG becomes less of a factor the better your speed mods are
  • Poxx
    2288 posts Member
    Options
    The only way I can see them balancing mods is to release 6*/7* mods, do away w/ speed sets and speed secondaries altogether and bump up the benefits of the new mods to a level where ppl don't have an edge by running old 5* speed sets/secondaries.
  • Options
    Cyggy wrote: »
    Cyggy wrote: »
    So just had a thought, but the characters are not so much the meta as mods are, simply because everyone can get the character, but mods you have to be lucky to get. Anyone else feel this way?

You must be new. That's sooo cute!

Well newish started dec 2017, but didnt start hitting top 10 daily most days top 5 until mod farming became more prevelent for me. Spending my weekends hoping for 1 upgrade has launched me from top 500 to top 10. But theres still so much rng if a gold mod with soeed rolls, plus gettjng speed to begin with on the mod.. but thanks for being patronizing

Don't mind the trolls. You started a good conversation.
    Great post OP.

That’s my two cents.

Mostly agree. The whole reason to introduce a "mod set" and different primaries is to encourage some amount of variability so players can strategically craft around toon attributes. The secondaries are a cool feature, but should have been capped with a much smaller variance and fewer options. e.g., offense, defense, health, protection, speed (capped at +10)and that's it. I think having such a large range in possible speed secondaries also makes it difficult on the devs to develop content for players to enjoy. It's probably a constant struggle for them to evaluate "do we tune an event to +150 speed or just +50 speed?"
  • Achilles
    1380 posts Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    ScottyLee wrote: »
    The real META is RNG.

In arena, RNG becomes less of a factor the better your speed mods are
    Even then:
    Who decides, if you get mods having speed secondaries? RNG
    Who decides, if your speed secondaries go up on mods level-up? RNG

But ya, i got your point. A 250 speed Palp will usually win against a 122 speed Palp, even on bad RNG.
    Left by design.
  • locodiel
    92 posts Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Why complain about mods when Palp meta rules? You can go as high as top 30-50 with crap mods. Because even far better mods and +10k power can`t compensate for the RNG factor. And raw speed you get from mods is not that important anymore either since TM reduction/gain mechanics are much more powerful currently. That might change or not. Just gear and level and zeta your Palp meta squad and put crap mods on and enter RNG hell.
  • MntMan
    281 posts Member
    Options
    locodiel wrote: »
    Why complain about mods when Palp meta rules? You can go as high as top 30-50 with **** mods. Because even far better mods and +10k power can`t compensate for the RNG factor. And raw speed you get from mods is not that important anymore either since TM reduction/gain mechanics are much more powerful currently. That might change or not. Just gear and level and zeta your Palp meta squad and put **** mods on and enter RNG hell.

Ha. What you think you're seeing as RNG is actually speed kicking you in the butt or visa versa. Speed trumps. If you're talking about your papa palp squad with zadar if you toss out you DOTs followed by a culling blade first and are able to immediately follow with a DN and you modded those two it's not RNG it's speed. (Though to be fair the number of dots/debuffs you cause and can debuff are RNG mostly) and it's likely you can predict how the rest of the round will go. I mean if your whole squad is flush with speed and you've also gotten a fracture and/or palp stun then it's game over. For me facing similair squads it goes like this; My zadar Dots and Culls. Their zadar dots, my GK taunts and they cull, my DN sets them back a turn for abilities and now it's off to the races.
  • Options
    Against Palp teams with my FO squad, victory is usually determined by who go first between my FOO or their Vader.

Speed is the single most important stats in this game. I would be okay if they removed it from secondaries or if they capped it for every characters.
  • Gifafi
    6017 posts Member
    Options
    is this thread real life?
    Maybe End Game isn't for you
  • Platzman
    284 posts Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Try thinking around next corner, what would happen, if speed was dethroned?
    Most important toon stat would be unmodded speed. Without possibility to sacrifice something to get more speed (like sacrificing damage or mod sets on mods to gain extra x speed), turn order is given with many ties possible.
    Some toons become totally unusable, since there would be no way they would go before another toon that "precounters" them.
    And another mod stat would just sit on the abandoned throne... Probably flat offense.

Mods actually work for variety and depth...
  • ChickenFett139
    1484 posts Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Platzman wrote: »
    Mods actually work for variety and depth...

With speed being the deciding factor.

If a character who grants TM on every attack has the fastest speed, the entire team gets TM every time that toon attacks. So speed wins again.