How far should I go with Phoenix?

Prev1
Hi everyone,

pretty new player here (Lvl 54) ... I made a few Rookie mistakes (e.g. buying the rather useless "Jedi pack" advertised for newbies), but after that I put all my efforts into getting the Phoenix team up and running.

I now have Ezra on 6* and Gear7, Chopper, Zeb and Kanan on 5* and Gear6, Hera on 4*. Sabine is still on 2* - just a pain to farm.

For the first few weeks I did pretty well in Arena (almost made it into the top 100) and GW (finishing most of the time). But now everyone seems to have either a better geared Phoenix team or some Nightsisters/First Order/ Rebel team I cannot beat ... quite a few fights just end with a draw or even a loss for me.

I'd like to add some variety to my gameplay but at the same time I want to avoid investing too much time in characters that are useless later. So what's your recommendation for me ? Any other team that might be interesting? Or should I just bite the bullet and get Phoenix to 7* first?

Other chars I have and like: Boba, Vader, Tarkin, Dooku, TFP, Ackbar, Leia, Biggs, ST Han (the last 3 are still 2*/3*)

Thanks for any input.

Replies

• FREEDOMfrom
    474 posts Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    i'd honestly say max 5 of them out (7*). So you can 7* Thrawn and Palp and it will help your rebel fleet.
  • Rojas
    336 posts Member
    Options
    You don't have to have them fully maxed (gear), just 7* them and Gear lvl 8-9 with decent mods to unlock Thrawn. I'd consider maxing out Ezra though. Have fun.
  • Monel
    2786 posts Member
    Options
    Rojas wrote: »
    You don't have to have them fully maxed (gear), just 7* them and Gear lvl 8-9 with decent mods to unlock Thrawn. I'd consider maxing out Ezra though. Have fun.

This! Ezra is pretty awesome and with Grand Master Yodas update Ezra will be awesome. But definitely get them to 7 stars, I'd say gear 9 just to make Thrawn somewhat easier and not so RNG based.
  • Options
    Phoenix can be really useful in territory battles and phase 2 of the sith raid as well, but they will fall off in arena before you can get them good enough to compete. So most players star and gear them for the Thrawn event but then choose a different arena team after that.
  • Jml727
    116 posts Member
    Options
    Go full gear or as much as you can. They have attached ships to them so the more gear they have the better the ship is.
  • Options
    Max Hera, Ezra, Zeb, Kanan, Chopper. You'll need them to obtain Grand Admiral Thrawn. g10 on each should be enough. Speed also.
  • Options
    JediRobb wrote: »
    They're useful in TW, LSTB, Ships, GW and LS battles up to the end of the table. Mine are level 81, gears 8-10, omegas on all uniques and one other ability. I have unlocked 7 star Thrawn and 7 star Palpatine using them, and should be ready for CLS when he rolls around next week. At some point I will bump them to level 85 to make their ships even stronger, probably next time Chimaera event comes around.

For CLS you need Old Ben, Storm Trooper Han, Leia, R2D2, Farmboy Luke?

• Poxx
    2288 posts Member
    Options
    They'll get u Thrawn and Palpatine. They r all pilots and have 2 good ships....1 good, 1 great actually. They r needed in next to last phase LS TB and make a solid TW team. I have them all gear XI except Ezra who's gear XII and zeta'd. I don't regret any of the time/effort I put into them.
  • Options
    They were my original Arena Team....they got me Thrawn, Palps and keep me top 50 in the Fleet Arena.
    Ezra and Hera are in my view the highest priorities to gear and throw speed at! They can bounce backwards and forwards between each other.
    I’d also recommend a slow Sabine Grind...you need her for one of the ships and once she’s 6/7* and geared out she adds so much to the Phoenix team (it will take ages! I’m still 6* 78/100)

The amusing thing is that Phoenix essentially replace themselves in the Arena!
    Palps, Thrawn - throw in Vader, TFP and Tarkin and add some speed! (If you need an alternate before unlocking Thrawn then RGuard imho).
  • IE4TAPPL3S
    482 posts Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    Their decent for Phase 1 of HAAT. If you want a better team for it only take them to gear 9 for Thrawn. It took me gear 9 and all the omegas to get him. Phoenix can also be nice for events and are good in guild wars on defense and also get you bonus guild event currency in territory war.
  • Options
    They're useful in TW, LSTB, Ships, GW and LS battles up to the end of the table. Mine are level 81, gears 8-10, omegas on all uniques and one other ability. I have unlocked 7 star Thrawn and 7 star Palpatine using them, and should be ready for CLS when he rolls around next week. At some point I will bump them to level 85 to make their ships even stronger, probably next time Chimaera event comes around.

For CLS you need Old Ben, Storm Trooper Han, Leia, R2D2, Farmboy Luke?

Yes, and to get R2 you need Empire (Palp and Thrawn qualify), and Phoenix helps you get those characters.

Thought so, seems like ages since I got mine.
  • uhdea
    49 posts Member
    Options
    you want to get your phoenix team to 7* level 80 g8 so you can get 7* thrawn. they will also make emp palp a breeze. then you can transition to your empire team
  • Options
    Till you can unlock Thrawn 7*

lvl 80ish
    omegas on all abilites
    about gear 8 to 9 (kanan,ezra,hera most important)
  • Options
    okay - thank you all for your ideas and comments. I'll concentrate on my Phoenix team then and save the rest for later.
  • Options
    Oh and one other thing. Phoenix also make a solid if predictable defence team for TW. You'll be wanting speed though.
    Hey, it's still better than MSF
  • Options
    The consensus seems to be: Phoenix is "decent", but not "end-game". Which is fitting, based on their "Rebels" series. They're not top-tier, but they're the "boots on the ground" team that will help lead to victory.

I enjoy using them, they are the definition of 'synergy'. Focusing on, and advancing them, really taught me how synergy squads work.

And they're not that hard to farm. Focus on them for a week or two, and they'll help you to the next level.
  • Options
    Moogaroosh wrote: »
    The consensus seems to be: Phoenix is "decent", but not "end-game". Which is fitting, based on their "Rebels" series. They're not top-tier, but they're the "boots on the ground" team that will help lead to victory.

I enjoy using them, they are the definition of 'synergy'. Focusing on, and advancing them, really taught me how synergy squads work.

And they're not that hard to farm. Focus on them for a week or two, and they'll help you to the next level.

To get all but Sabine to 7* takes about 33 days. Zeb is quickest (330/15=22days) is you complete gw every day. Chopper is probably second fastest (3 energy refreshes gives about 900 cantina so 11 shards a day, 330/11=30 days). Kaanan depends on area rank but if you are top 200 you get 10 shards/day (330/10=33days). Ezra and hera share cantina energy but at 3 refreshes I averaged 23 shards a day (660/23=29days). Sabine, you get like 1.5 shards/day (330/1.5=220days).
  • uhdea
    49 posts Member
    Options
    Sabine IMO isn't worth farming past unlock (just for the ship). after that better to use the energy on gear
  • Options
    uhdea wrote: »
    Sabine IMO isn't worth farming past unlock (just for the ship). after that better to use the energy on gear
    I’m 6* 80/100 on Sabine despite Phoenix being Arena retired months and months ago! She takes ages!!!
  • Options
    Kind of stopped farming shards on hard nodes as I need many, many, many stun guns of the MK V variety.

Mercifully the drop rate isn't completely horrific but I need nearly 400 of them.
    Hey, it's still better than MSF
  • YKMisfit
    730 posts Member
    Options
    I think that if you farm them to the point of getting Thrawn, you'll discover their uses in the other areas of the game fall off at around the same time depending on how aggressively you're gearing them. 7*, Gear 8-9 is all you need for Thrawn, so once you've done that, I would suggest being on your way to having a replacement team in the works.
  • Options
    Sabine is definitely worth the long grind to get her. Yes, it will take a while, but don't stop at unlock "just for her ship" because said ship will be horrible if you don't gear and star her.

She is also a key player in P2 squads for Heroic Sith Raid, FWIW.
  • uhdea
    49 posts Member
    Options
    Sabine is definitely worth the long grind to get her. Yes, it will take a while, but don't stop at unlock "just for her ship" because said ship will be horrible if you don't gear and star her.

I wouldn't really place her as a priority. Between getting up Rey (and possibly FOTFP) and getting phoenix,empire,first order, CLS event, and JTR event teams to at least G8 sabine takes a bit of a back seat in my opinion.
  • Options

There's a lot of better options for hstr phase 2
  • Options
    Thanks again, guys.

BTW: I managed to set up a swgoh.gg-account. So here's what I have:

https://swgoh.gg/u/marverel/collection/
  • uhdea
    49 posts Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    you're on the right path. focus on phoenix to 7* so you can use them for thrawn. he should be coming within the next couple of months, then for palp at his next event. you already have vader, tarkin, and tfp which are the rest of your empire team, focus on getting them up to 7* once you max out phoenix. once you get palp lead for your empire team you'll be more competitive in the arena. when I had phoenix i dipped below 100 for like 1 or 2 days but otherwise stayed in top 150. with palp lead i've never finished over 100 and since zpalp never over 50 (and my shard has a good number of paying players)