All the new characters are great but we need GEAR!!

Prev1
Strumpoo
90 posts Member
edited July 2018
Devs, thanks for the recent explosion of characters. Could you please now add a way to start getting gear for them? At current gear drop rates and availability people with have these toons geared in 10 years. There are just waaay too many toons coming out and gear drops haven't adjusted to match.

Replies

• Stokat
    829 posts Member
    Options
    Exactly this. It is very hard to be excited about new characters, even if they are awesome, since you know you won’t be able to gear them for a very long time, at least not without abandoning all the other toons you already are working on. Why not focus on releasing new ships instead for a while? Give ppl a chance to catch up on stun guns, carbantis golden eyes and whatnot.
  • Options
    This. I’ve got a nice roster, everyone will be L85 by Monday/Tuesday, everyone is g7+, most are 7*, etc. I enjoy new toons to work on, I like the collection aspect. However, getting toons to g10, 11, 12+ is an absurd journey that hurts my enjoyment of the game. Gear is simply too hard to come by at a reasonable rate, especially with the influx of new characters. I appreciate the shard shop immensely, I appreciate the guild store immensely, but it’s just not enough.
    Ooba hutar.
  • Options
    Question - Want more gear? EA answer- spend crystals for gear packs.
    Think it’s by accident there is a gear bottle neck? :wink:
  • Kurrgan
    100 posts Member
    Options
    Yeah, too many too fast. Forget gearing them, how can we possibly farm them if they aren't putting new toons into the old shops. Five at once is too many. Bossk will be up soon as I finish Sion but I still am only 4 stars on Visas. Wasn't planning on working on the new scoundrels at all (except Nest) but I bet you Mission and Zaalbar will be LS scoundrels so they will probably use the new prepared mechanic as well. Ugh! I hope they are event based and we can take them to 5 stars immediately and then 7 next time an event rolls around (like a legendary style) otherwise this is too much.
  • TVF
    36605 posts Member
    Options
    Yes the gear crunch is real. But if you aren't willing to spend, you just have to make wiser choices. And while the need for gear has expanded, so have the options for getting that gear. The gear is better in the guild store and shard shop than it used to be. There's good gear in the GEC store if you're willing to forgo Hoda and Wampa. The ship table gives you more free energy and has fantastic gear at (from what I've both read and seen so far) very reasonable drop rates.

Resource management. Name of the game.
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • Mr_Sausage
    1869 posts Member
    Options
    At this point of the game, gear has never been more abundant as it is now. Shard shop has needed gear as well as guild shop and the guild event store. This is a luxury that players did not have a year/year and a half ago. Gear was farmed through light side/dark side nodes. With all of these new places to get gear, I haven’t farmed gear from LS/DS node in ages.

That being said new toons and new G12 pieces require the same gear that has been in such high demand since the game began. The crunch seems so bad because it really is a never ending supply of cuffs/guns/carbantis needed for everything.

I can’t see any new spots for gear to go in anytime soon.
  • Options
    Yep. With you there. Don't care about the 5 new characters from solo. And I was excited for the KOTOR era toons, then realized they won't be doing anything but collecting dust at 3* level 1.. sigh.. lol
  • Strumpoo
    90 posts Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    Even as a big spender, you can't gear the toons. The gear bottleneck still affects the spenders as well. They need to update the challenges or something to actually drop useful gear in decent numbers

I think the overload of toons has actually hurt their spenders. I know I have stopped buying all the toons to 7 star when they come out. It isn't worth it to me anymore since I can't gear them. I used to instantly get all characters to 7 stars, no more, since the just collect dust at gear lvl 6 and 7
  • TVF
    36605 posts Member
    Options
    Strumpoo wrote: »
    Even as a big spender, you can't gear the toons. The gear bottleneck still affects the spenders as well.

Not anywhere as much though. The advice to non-spenders is to bide your time and make wise choices. That advice applies to you too.
  • Strumpoo
    90 posts Member
    Options
    TVF wrote: »
    Even as a big spender, you can't gear the toons. The gear bottleneck still affects the spenders as well.

Not anywhere as much though. The advice to non-spenders is to bide your time and make wise choices. That advice applies to you too.

I am a big spender and it has affected me greatly as well
  • Options
    Devs, thanks for the recent explosion of characters. Could you please now add a way to start getting gear for them? At current gear drop rates and availability people with have these toons geared in 10 years. There are just waaay too many toons coming out and gear drops haven't adjusted to match.

Anyone who has been on the forums for 6+ months has seen this kind of post again and again as new toons are released. CG balances creating new ways to earn gear with the sheer fact that people will spend $$ to acquire more gear. So far, despite the STR rewards debacle, I think they've struck a decent balance between expanding gear availability and letting top spenders gain the advantage. So don't panic :)
  • TVF
    36605 posts Member
    Options

Not nearly as much as a f2p. How can you not understand this?

You just don't have to manage your resources as wisely as a f2p because you have more of them. Perhaps you need to reassess where you put those resources?
  • Strumpoo
    90 posts Member
    Options
    And to clarify, I think more gear is needed for BOTH ftp and paying players. Ftp players will NEVER gear up their toons, seriously, it will take years to gear some of these teams. By then they will be obsolete. It isn't fun to always be behind and chasing, it is just frustrating.
  • TVF
    36605 posts Member
    Options
    HAAT gear isn't great by any means but at least it's not much work for the return on investment, versus STR.
  • Options
    After adding the same gear bottle neck at g12+, how can people even expect them to alleviate the gear problems at g9,10 lol.

It was deliberate, lets just move on and suffer together.
  • Options
    I've said it before, and I'll probably say it 1000 more times. They can resolve the entire excessive gear crunch by simply removing challenge gear from raids and increasing carb drop to 5 - 7 in the challenge (where it was originally). Right now it takes a week to farm enough salvage from challenges to craft a full MkIII carbanti. ROLO requires 9. That means it takes 9 weeks to farm enough carbs to get her to G11 and that doesn't even include the guns, cuffs, and raid gear needed. It also means you can't gear another character... at all... because they all need carbs. So over the course of 9 weeks you are only gearing a single character. So at this rate, you'd get 6 toons to G11 / G12 over the course of a year as F2P? That seems super excessively "grindy".

Yes, I know you can also buy carbs from the guild store and shard shop, which I do, but for early stage players they need to be farming toons from the guild store. Yes, need to be. With as many characters as there are now new players need to be focused on gaining toons since they can't gear them fast enough to feel they are making progress. And thus the problem I think CG is encountering, newer players aren't feeling enough progress so they're not engaging enough with the game to become a paying player. Hence why they've released so much content designed specifically to get players "sticky" (e.g., mod set recommendations, beginning guilds, quests, etc.)
  • Strumpoo
    90 posts Member
    Options
    Lol I guess they expect people to start the game when they are 20 and finally gear their toons by the time they retire at 65 or so. Lolz
  • Options
    And those purple mats, we need them in the 1000's for all these new toons, or they just sit around and hit like wet noodles, I need about 2000 at this point and figure it would be a YEAR or more until my current squads have the purples they need, nevermind all the new toons I have and will get
  • TVF
    36605 posts Member
    Options
    And those purple mats, we need them in the 1000's for all these new toons, or they just sit around and hit like wet noodles, I need about 2000 at this point and figure it would be a YEAR or more until my current squads have the purples they need, nevermind all the new toons I have and will get

Like everything else, manage it. I keep track of the toons I care most about and set a minimum of 100 purples. Every Wed, Sat, and Sun, I look at my list and spend back down to 100 on a toon or two I'm working on.
  • Options

This one I'm less sympathetic about. Yes, it requires a lot of purple mats. Yes, it probably requires about a year to get 30 - 40 toons abilities maxed. That actually seems reasonable to me. It'll get a lot better later on. I've been playing for over 2 years and I have over 200 purple mats sitting in reserves and will probably have 400+ by the time the new characters drop.

This specific item I can confidently say "hold on, it gets better"

The gear crunch at G8, G9, G10, G11, G12, and now G12+ has been lightened slightly, but never gets better.
  • BrtStlnd
    1094 posts Member
    Options
    A decent percentage of the new characters are essentially worthless though and you do not need to level them.

I mean do you really see anyone using the BH, Qi’ra, new Lando, Han, Holdo, Rose, the Vets, etc?

You just need to be selective in who you give resources to.
  • Options
    BrtStlnd wrote: »
    A decent percentage of the new characters are essentially worthless though and you do not need to level them.

I mean do you really see anyone using the BH, Qi’ra, new Lando, Han, Holdo, Rose, the Vets, etc?

You just need to be selective in who you give resources to.

Well, you don't have to like her in the movie, but holdo's a good toon with a great kit.
    #AcolyteShootsTwice
  • Options
    they're not worthless, they're just not arena viable. The purpose is to create an array of factions from which to choose. You'll always need them in PvE. They've added diversity to sith raid. And the Chewie squad is surprisingly useful in TW.
  • Options
    The issue that is being ignored by many of the players who are taking the standpoint of management resource is this: Events and character/faction requirements of a high caliber.

Yes, this game has a high competence level requirement in resource management. And a higher ceiling for optimal management and planning. But the issue goes beyond that.

On one hand, at the rate that the game is expanding in roster, it is no longer reasonable for anyone but 3+ year veterans to have a complete collection. And Im sure that comes wijth a dollar prixe as well.

But I can see it as an impossibility for most spenders (Bottom 99% of spenders) and I think that is a problem. If you put, say, 5k + per year in to this game, there is ZERO reason you shoudnt be able to maintain G10 + all characters and 7*. I dknt have math to back up this statement, admittedly, but I can almost guarantee this is not possible anymore, when it once was.

I have spent a collective of likely 1500 max, on this game over the past year. I was a casual spender. I have, in the last several months, moved to a free to play style play as Ive realized no matter how much I spend, I will not catch up to the meta, I will always be playing from behind. So I might as well do it for free.

Honestly, I dont think dropping every one of my paychecks would help much. Theres too many characters and gear cap is expanding. The rate of these two factors exceeds gear acquisition expansion, so the problem is continuing to grow, though perhaps at a slower rate than before shop updates.

Requirements for characters and factions of high caliber for faction events, mythic tiers, TB platoons, TB battles, raid optimal teams (STR requiring 5+ top tier faction squads alone for progressing guilds), ship pilots. MANY of these require 7* G9+, which is a heavy investment as is. Let alone mythics. And for any player looking to optimize INCOMING resources, they will have ALL of these things to build for. Lets not forget about the typical 6 month lasting metas which demand G12 7* meta characters that you'll switch like a revolving door or be forced to sit lower than top 500.

THIS ABOVE PARAGRAPH DESCRIBES OUR TRUE PROBLEM!!

The result is a game where we are not realistically allowed to use our imagination and love the game for the fantasy that it could provide without being bottom tier leaches to our guilds. And I think thats very unfortunate. This grind to remain competitive is the very reason I have stopped spending money. The new feel of the game is gone. The fun of maxing a new toon is lackluater, he'll be useless in 12 months. I will contjnue to play. I do love this game and the community that Im involved in. But Id be lying if I said I still find it fun. Its a nice consistent thing in my daily life that has a small satisfaction granted from goal completion. But I can not say I enjoy it enough to warrant spending, unfortunately.

• Strumpoo
    90 posts Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    evoluza wrote: »

Tell this the big spenders I know... They are really not affected.
    You can call you again a big spender when you don't have to complain about gear.

Lol again, I am a big spender and I am complaining about gear drops. They are too slow.
  • Options

Like everything else, manage it. I keep track of the toons I care most about and set a minimum of 100 purples. Every Wed, Sat, and Sun, I look at my list and spend back down to 100 on a toon or two I'm working on.

LOL, its being managed, and I am still 2000 short and it will take a year or more to get them, "managing" that makes no difference to the short fall, sure prioritizing is important, doesn't solve a dam thing though
  • jayjonbeach
    697 posts Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    Rebel_yell wrote: »

This one I'm less sympathetic about. Yes, it requires a lot of purple mats. Yes, it probably requires about a year to get 30 - 40 toons abilities maxed. That actually seems reasonable to me. It'll get a lot better later on. I've been playing for over 2 years and I have over 200 purple mats sitting in reserves and will probably have 400+ by the time the new characters drop.

This specific item I can confidently say "hold on, it gets better"

The gear crunch at G8, G9, G10, G11, G12, and now G12+ has been lightened slightly, but never gets better.

I agree that the gear crunch is MUCH worse, and has a bigger effect for sure, it is just depressing the purple mat shortage and using all these toons, a 100 or more, for Raids, etc at very sub-optimal levels.

I actually find the purple mat crunch is almost worse, or worse, than the credit crunch, both are bad and do effect squads a lot, maybe the credits have a worse effect but I need more purples than credits it seems
  • TVF
    36605 posts Member
    Options

LOL, its being managed, and I am still 2000 short and it will take a year or more to get them, "managing" that makes no difference to the short fall, sure prioritizing is important, doesn't solve a dam thing though

If that's how you think, then yeah, it won't solve anything.