Armor could be game breaking

It could if we found out how it works. There should be a guide for advanced players where defense is explained and how flat equals to % defense and how the formula works, there is as of right now just speculations on reddit which doesn’t clarify much.
I did some testing and took the lowest defense toon which is acolyte and a few of the highest like fives and characters which uniques give +defense.
I did a bit of testing and used some characters:
Old ben: physical armor 33,73%, average damage taken= 4447,44, so round down to 4400
Acolyte: 9,71% physical defense, average damage taken= 5675,42 round up to 5700
Sith trooper: 33,71% (almost same as old Ben) +his unique granting him +100% defense, so in theory he should have 67,42% defense?
Average damage taken= 3258,16, round up to 3300
Which is only 1/4 less then old Ben while it should be 1/2
Then I tried the defense up buff, +50% defense, sith trooper average damage taken went to 2914,57, round down to 2900.
So how does it calculate? What does apply first and then second because in theory it should be his armor+unique *2 and then defense up *1,5, but it turns out while the unique does only half of what it is supposed to do, the buff only does 12,5% defense addition instead of the so told 50%.
I tried adding a defense leadership like savage granting every sith ally+ 75% defense which sounds amazing on paper with sith troopers+100%defense, but let the numbers speak for themselfs.
Sith trooper with savage lead no buffs, average physical damage taken=2754,8 round up to 2800 and and turns out it’s not much better then the +50% defens up buff.
Tried mixing everything together with lead and uniques and buff and ended up with: base physical armor 33,71%+unique 100%+lead 75%+buff 50%, average physical damage taken=2455 round up to 2500.
It turns out the defense numbers have a broken formula or something because it doesn’t add up to why it is still this high.
Tried sion out against the same enemies, he took 4000 damage roughly with out the enemy having pain and while the enemy had pain took 3000 roughly. So it is still a nice addition but it only adds 50% extra defense instead of 100%.
It is frustrating for me to see this because offense in this game works as intended, attack deals 1000+50% buff deals 1500 then but armor buff which has the same 50% only adds 12,5%.
The only real thing I can say works is adding flat defense mods, they increase defense by a lot, 5 flat armor is like 0,90% added armor, it does reduces damage and can make teams like sith trooper with good defense mods be nearly immortal. It went from
Acolyte taking 5700 damage with 10% to sith with all possible add on buff to 2400 but offense down would have done the same job.
All in all, can a dec or someone possessing the knowledge of how defense works please tell us how it works. A formula or a reference where we can get to know more, it is specially important with the new mod update that defense is getting a huge boost, we
Would like to understand and utilize it properly. Thank you

Replies

• HK666
    1263 posts Member
    Options
    From what I understand (which may be entirely wrong) is that defense has diminishing returns. The first X amount of defense blocks more the second X amount of defense

so whatever defense stat SiT has is doubled, but doesn't translate into straight up double damage prevented
  • Woodroward
    3749 posts Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    http://realityskewedgamers.blogspot.com/2016/09/defense-and-armor-calculator-version-2.html

This is a very good defense and armor calculator.

Your calculations are off because this game uses an armor rating system, where each point of armor or resistance increases the armor/resistance % by less than the point before it did.

For example, I had my k2 modded up to 47% armor in his panel, but after the 50% defense from CLS lead, it was around 57%, not 70%.
  • Huatimus
    3669 posts Member
    Options
    It’s been fully explained on the forums, just search for Defense Calculator. And as others mentioned, Armor has “diminishing returns” so it’ll never reach the point of game breaking.
  • Options
    Try this:
    Damage / (1 + base + unique + defense up + etc.) = damage received

For your Sith it would be:
    Base: 0.3371
    Unique: 0.3371 (100% of base)
    Defense up: 0.1685 (50% of base)
  • Options
    Woodroward wrote: »
    http://realityskewedgamers.blogspot.com/2016/09/defense-and-armor-calculator-version-2.html

Your calculations are off because this game uses an armor rating system, where each point of armor or resistance increases the armor/resistance % by less than the point before it did.

For example, I had my k2 modded up to 47% armor in his panel, but after the 50% defense from CLS lead, it was around 57%, not 70%.

Using that calculator you can build up some pretty insane defensive numbers now. I plugged in a rough full defense build of Fives under a Kenobi lead and got 85% physical mitigation!

I doubt the calculator really knows what happens if defense gets up that high, because it couldn’t happen in the past. If this is true though, this could be game changing...
  • Woodroward
    3749 posts Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    Woodroward wrote: »

Using that calculator you can build up some pretty insane defensive numbers now. I plugged in a rough full defense build of Fives under a Kenobi lead and got 85% physical mitigation!

I doubt the calculator really knows what happens if defense gets up that high, because it couldn’t happen in the past. If this is true though, this could be game changing...
    The armor rating system in use by the calculator is based on a formula worked out with numerous forum users and has been found to be exact.
    Now a max gear 5s has 59.5% base armor unmodded and that in and of itself is ridiculous.
    When i calculated a max defense 5s under GK, I came up with 80.55% defense. A roughly 20% increase from the new max defense amounts seems just about right to me. I'm thinking you probably didn't calculate the armor from current gear to get that 85% and ended up with a whole bunch of things mutliplying that shouldn't have. Or you could have higher defense secondaries than I do.

Either way, it seems correct to me.

• VonZant
    3843 posts Member
    Options
    Dont forget Vandor reduces all damage taken by 20% and can thow in clone Chewie or Dengar damage reduction and you gets some pretty froggy teams.
  • Huatimus
    3669 posts Member
    Options
    I'd rather just use Nest then.
    And whatever frogginess is still going to lose to Nihilus.
  • Tiggus
    766 posts Member
    Options
    Good experimentation! As others have said, there are diminishing returns. Defence is a hidden integer number (e.g. 450, base values range from ~200 to ~500), and is the one that gets all the mods applied to it. Then the result is changed into an "Armor" percentage (typically 20-40%), which is the real damage mitigation. And therefore even if you managed to boost Defence to 1000 or more, you'd still only boost Armor to say 45, 50%, do nowhere near as impressive.

But the damage reduction you measured above are still significant. 2500 instead of 5000+ means your tank gets to survive until he can pick up some more health again or get healed.

The original thread was at
    https://forums.galaxy-of-heroes.starwars.ea.com/discussion/67830/defense-armor-calculator
    ☮ Consular ☮ - https://swgoh.gg/u/tiggus/
  • Options
    Huatimus wrote: »

I hate Nihilus so much. Nihilus + Traya absolutely ruins defensive teams. He essentially puts a turn timer on every match, and it’s extremely hard to control him since you can’t debuff him.
  • VonZant
    3843 posts Member
    Options
    Huatimus wrote: »

If somone is forced to use a Nihilus team on a Scoundrel team to beat them in TW you are way ahead in the transaction.