Getting burned out on marquee and hard node cycle.

Replies

• Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options
    Nauros wrote: »
    Kyno wrote: »
    evoluza wrote: »
    Alot of this comes down to long term plans. If you are trying to keep up with the release pace, be ready to $$$.

The game is a grind with a long cycle and a marathon pace, just make a plan and stick to the plan. Dont worry about the new and shiny unless that fits your plan.

You can't make long term plans. I did it now for almost 3 years. But all this bad updates and only marquee events make you think, if you still play when they release the character f2p and then there is a few month farm also.
    They could do that if we had good updates, some positiv we see and can focus.

Yeah, it was great back in the day when you had to spend $200 just to have a chance to use crystals to buy a toon that had no timeline for release and would just go away for a year, or 3 months (that always felt great when you bought those ones).

I'm not saying we need this structure, but the current release structure has allowed for people to plan. We all get the toons, and any toon worth its salt has been just fine at 3-4*. You can build the gear up and have a toon viable if you wish, and then worry about more accessibility (* count) as the time moves on.

Yeah, you don't get the point. I know you are in defense for marquee events. Better then before doesn't make it good.
    They HAVE to mix things up. Over a year straight marquees is baaad, really bad!
    Just try and it the food you like every day and nothing else. Tell me how it went.

Actually better than before is always good. I never said they don't have room to improve, but I will take this and other steps in the right direction over, leaving things bad until they have the "perfect solution" that makes everyone all warm and fuzzy.

They do have to mix things up, but legendary and HJ events require toons to be able to do it, and half the point of those events is to make them difficult to achieve, which comes from in game difficulty and roster building.(i.e.-panic farm) they needed to at least dead the waters before declaring open season.

Carrie posted on reddit. That a bunch of marquee and then a legendary/HJ that require those toons is better than, marquee right into Legendary/HJ, rinse and repeat. I would tend to agree with that. Right now we are given a chance to start planning and working on farming, vs immediately feeling forced into a focused panic farm.

I saw the scrennshot that says: people really liked marquees a the beginning. This means they made a lot of money.
    Then she said people responding not like before. Made less money, obviously.
    Why they make less money? Because of the points I already made. To much, always the same, no diversity, blabla...
    Always forcing us in panic farms want help them either. This hole situation comes from greed.
    They could easily hand out minor characters in a different way, like play an event for a month and you have the character at 7*. Our use energy to repeat the event and get more shards.
    But they stay the same, because it worked the first time..

Just because a company is for profit does not mean everything is based on greed.

You are right that too much of one thing can lead to boredom, and they need to find a balance. It's great that they seem to be listening too us, but from a business stand point they will always start on the aide of caution which means more money making opportunities for them and then dial it back to find the "somewhat happy medium".

They actually cant "just hand out" characters. They cannot know the whole value and future usefulness of a toon at release.

It is a pretty fair system to release everything at this level at the "same cost" and let the game/community decide its value. I'm sure they see toons not being bought at much and not being farmed as quickly.

I would also think the community doesnt want them setting the price based on what they see as the value. That would increase the p2p/f2p gap as really good toons would cost even more (if that's possible), really locking out f2p(crystal hoarders), and light spenders.

It's straight out greed, if they use every chance to milk everyone willing to spend.
    If someone can remember the last thing that was for the players and not only to generate money, please tell. I can't. That on top of that marquee Massacre.

Please explain, other than TBs, not a single one of these toons is required for anything. We can ignore them with no issues.

You can actually have every single toon they have released without any $$.

If they wanted to just do it to make money pure and simple, they would release them and then require them for an OP legendary while the packs were still available but the toons could be required no other way. Or to be nice, announce the legendary when they are packs only, then have the event when they are only available in the crystal shipment, or just went farmable forcing crystals use or paying for shards or refreshes.

Single hard node farms are essentially what you described, though. Unless the legendary is released over half a year after the characters, there is no way (barring insane luck) to have them ready without spending crystals. And the new pack seems to point towards something requiring the Solo characters, my personal guess being the original Falcon...

Correct, but over that amount of time with a plan and smart choices those can be free crystals.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options
    I wish Carrie wrote what she wrote on reddit, on here. She basically said the marquee order this year is something they won’t do again. And we ll have less marquees in the 2nd half of the year with more legendary and hj “like” events.

It just goes to show what I know. I thought marquees were doing better because of Nest. Apparently not. Hard node farms are hard because they are soooo long. How many stopped farming holdo or visas for these new toons. Yes it’s a choice but they are extreme choices.
    This is the system we have but that’s not to say it can’t be improved.

Talking and giving feedback on the forums does produce change.

0sjlmvv22b09.jpg
    8olnjccj2fkb.jpg
  • Bz183
    170 posts Member
    Options
    I'm fine with the amount of marquees...

But the single hard node stuff is getting out of control.
  • Options
    I wish Carrie wrote what she wrote on reddit, on here. She basically said the marquee order this year is something they won’t do again. And we ll have less marquees in the 2nd half of the year with more legendary and hj “like” events.

It just goes to show what I know. I thought marquees were doing better because of Nest. Apparently not. Hard node farms are hard because they are soooo long. How many stopped farming holdo or visas for these new toons. Yes it’s a choice but they are extreme choices.

0sjlmvv22b09.jpg
    8olnjccj2fkb.jpg

Yep. Ty. I think devs just use reddit so they post there. Not going into that debate but it’s funny as soon as she posted that there- we got so many posts here saying “I’m tried of marquees” etc
  • Options
    This all boils down a very large portion of gamers wanting hand outs and to get things the easy way. I blame participation trophies. Those shiny trophies they started handing out in youth sporting events to let you know that your team **** but hey, you still "deserved" something.

It’s this simple, you want something good in this game that's deemed to be awesome and of great use? Be prepared to either spend $ or work hard grinding away for a while.

Everyone knew the good toons would be placed on hard nodes. Yet when it happens, people lose their sh**.

I wish this "easy mode" mentality would just vanish already.

I don't have an issue paying...but $400 a toon just to star them and then even more to gear them to a usable status (raid, tw, tb) is insane.
  • Options
    The problem with marquee events is that most of those new toons get added to single hard nodes when they become farmable. At least they could throw a bone to the players by making old useless hard-node-only toons farmable on GW shop, arena shop or cantina shop. I mean toons like Lobot or Urorrurrururur. With all the marquee toons getting added to hard nodes, the oldest ones should be made easy to get for platoons.
    New legendary events would be nice, too. My favourite part of the game was preparing for them: getting the toons, gearing them, testing them to learn how to play with them... Now that part of the game is lost.

This. They could have an event twice a week for all I care. The problem is that they then release it on a single hard node farm which will take months to a year to 7*.

I think the biggest problem with the nodes though is the drop rate, it's super discouraging sometimes to do all 5 tries and get 0-1 shards. This on top of the soul crushing experience of tier 1-6 of the sith raid just kills motivation.

I've got a bunch of toons I'm trying to gear and star but with so many good toons on 20 energy hard nodes I have little left to farm gear without refreshes. Making it worse is that sith raid rewards are so terrible the raid is just a mindless time sink that doesn't help with the farming of raid only gear. So if you want raid only gear you have to buy it with crystals (less refreshes) or guild currency (less currency to devote to high demand but farmable gear you can't really farm owing to so many good toons you need to star for tw, tb, or raids sucking up the energy).

Tl;dr Sith raid pretty much set up a perfect recipe for apathy. We devote time to content whose rewards do absolutely nothing to help us gear our toons. New toons on hard nodes too frequently get 0 shards a day which adds to the demoralizing impact of the sith raid. Topping it off is looking at tons of toons that all need the same gear whose farming has slowed to a snails pace because shard farming sucks energy away from it plus a useless raid that might as well give us 20 ally points for the lot of good the gear loot does us.

Perfectly said! I love the depressing reddit post that totals the amount of carbantis, stun cuffs and stun guns we need like 20k each give or take, you do a tier 4 or 5 or 6 sith raid/haat etc and they throw you 8-10 salvage if you're lucky (but plenty of challenge gear).

This
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options
    Hard node farming and gear crunch are wrecking the game. Kyno will argue untill hes blue im the face that its not true.

He'll say $$$$ to speed it up but how many times have you all refreshed and simmed 14 missions just to drop 1 piece of salvage or done your 5 hard node battle and dropped 1 shard then refreshed energy and the node only to get 0 shards the next time.

So 6 months to a year to farm 1 character out of dozens that you cant gear anyway unless you buy full pieces at £20 each.

Please show me where I said they were good for the game. I will wait...
    @UnstopableSteve
  • Options
    Another character, another ship, but unfortunately the vast majority of this community won't be able to to enjoy them for another few months. Meanwhile more characters join the single hard node farming, Enfys getting behind a nightmare node too.

I miss the feeling of being able to play a character at 7 stars from release and not only months after they are introduced into the game. I despise having to watch that character on YouTube do all the cool stuff, while I have to wait for 2 seasons to pass before I can do the same.

I am not a greedy person but can we at least acknowledge that once in a while we deserve something for free just because of our commitment to the game? Last week my godson was asking me how long I've played this game, I told him that I've played this game every day for the past 2+ years and his reaction was like "wow!!!".

If I could some how calculate the amount of time I've spent on the game and the time I've spent on discord and line for guild activities, adding the time spent on YouTube and Google researching and watching content about the game, I would probably end up with severe depression. I've easily spent over 200$ on the game which is over 100$ per year which is more than triple A games cost and yet I feel like after all of this, my contribution is not being appreciated!

I am not entitled but I don't think there's something wrong about having some new shiny toon right from release, or at least with minimal effort, it's not like it will come leved up, geared and modded. Neither it is entitlement to ask that the single hard node farm becomes less of a trend. Please take these words into consideration.
  • Options
    Flugsvamp wrote: »
    CaptainRex wrote: »
    A G11 4* toon is almost as good as a 7* G12 toon, which is why I'm mostly okay with the marquee model.
    That being said, the marquee to hard node farming is just...boring :sleeping:

In what reality do you live? It's a massive difference.

I said mostly.
    #CloneHelmets4Life...VICTORY!!!! :smiley: "I don't like sand. It's coarse and rough and irritating and it gets everywhere." The more you tighten your grip, CG/EA, the more whales will slip through your fingers (and go F2P or quit).
  • Mzee
    1777 posts Member
    Options

"For sure, we've been going round and round on the Marquee thing for a few months now. Going into this year, everything that we saw in data told us "wow, people really like Marquees!" and there were lots of reasons for that, but our first focus was to make sure there was predictability (remember how sometimes you could do the Marquee and wouldn't end up with a 3-star character? We wanted to get rid of all that uncertainty.

Then we get midway through the Solo squad and people aren't responding the way they did last year, but for a few different reasons and I will get into this in more detail when I write my memoir, but suffice to say, we knew we needed to look into it.

Now we had always planned to be bringing out more Legendaries and Heroes Journey "like" adventures in the second half of this year (and when I say half, our fiscal year starts April 1, so the Marquee march for me starts with Bossk), but the mistake I made is that we should have interspersed them more between the Marquees to give you guys a break.

The upside to this (and I'm not saying I would do this again the same way next year) - but the upside for you all is that with so many Marquees coming in the front half of the year, they will all be on the table by the time you could possibly need them (which as a part of the Character Release Cadence is something we are trying to be bullish about sticking to), and on the table longer than if you got Marquee - Marquee - Legendary that requires said Marquee (rinse, repeat).

Now it's Marquee - Marquee - Marquee (ad infinitum) and hopefully a decent amount of Legendaries and other fun stuff that you're already on track to farming. You guys are smart and we've laid clues, so umm, you know."

Her comment from Reddit.

The problem for me with Marquee events is I don't get excited by characters I have to wait forever till I can really use. First it takes a long time till they become farmable and then when they throw them all on single hard nodes it takes quite a few more months before I can 7* them so I can begin get them to gear 12 and use in raids, and other events. They also all share the same energy currency. Gear is also a heavy grind that really hasn't gotten much easier since even the later tiers require the same bottlenecks of guns and cuffs. Too many tiers require the same gear for my comfort level. I wish they would bring back making characters farmable in more than one location or spread them out through the stores. Single hard nodes began by being reserved for the most valuable characters like Baze, Shoretrooper, and Nihilis, but now it feels like every character. The general attitude I see is that no one looks forward to when characters become farmable because of the single hard nodes.

They also released too many marquee characters in a short period of time so it lost the impact that they had, and this was the only mechanism of release. I have been just autoing them for a long time now without even bothering to pay attention to their abilities. No point really if I am not going to be able to use this character for many months down the road anyway.

If characters had more usage before gear 10/11 for us late game players that have heroic sith on farm then I could see Marquee events being more interesting. The problem is that I see them as an all or nothing purchase. If I am going to purchase the shards then I don't see the point unless I go all the way and 7* them, which would be a few hundred dollars. Occasionally i may purchase 1 pack to go up to 4* like I did with Sion cause I used him in my arena team, but that was it.
  • CaptainRex
    2840 posts Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    @CG_Carrie If you're reading this, here are my thoughts. I've said marquee's are boring, but never actually proposed a solution (which is something I try to do when I have a complaint).
    The ATST and NS events were a lot of fun. Still are. Maybe we have something like that, where you fight something different (and there's a LOT of different in the Star Wars Universe), but instead of having them run once a month, make them run once a week. I believe it took me 5 months(?) to 7* Sion solely farming his hard node after the marquee, so something along those lines if that timeframe is acceptable to you.
    You can add the option to refresh for crystals, of course, so those who spend $$$ can still get the character faster.
    This model is sustainable for quite a while, in my opinion.
    #CloneHelmets4Life...VICTORY!!!! :smiley: "I don't like sand. It's coarse and rough and irritating and it gets everywhere." The more you tighten your grip, CG/EA, the more whales will slip through your fingers (and go F2P or quit).
  • Options
    The problem with marquee events is that most of those new toons get added to single hard nodes when they become farmable. At least they could throw a bone to the players by making old useless hard-node-only toons farmable on GW shop, arena shop or cantina shop. I mean toons like Lobot or Urorrurrururur. With all the marquee toons getting added to hard nodes, the oldest ones should be made easy to get for platoons.
    New legendary events would be nice, too. My favourite part of the game was preparing for them: getting the toons, gearing them, testing them to learn how to play with them... Now that part of the game is lost.

Move old chars to the stores and have multi hard nodes for new chars? I love that idea!
  • Options
    TheBigHert wrote: »

Move old chars to the stores and have multi hard nodes for new chars? I love that idea!

Where will u find the energy for all of them?
  • Nauros
    5429 posts Member
    Options
    CaptainRex wrote: »
    @CG_Carrie If you're reading this, here are my thoughts. I've said marquee's are boring, but never actually proposed a solution (which is something I try to do when I have a complaint).
    The ATST and NS events were a lot of fun. Still are. Maybe we have something like that, where you fight something different (and there's a LOT of different in the Star Wars Universe), but instead of having them run once a month, make them run once a week. I believe it took me 5 months(?) to 7* Sion solely farming his hard node after the marquee, so something along those lines if that timeframe is acceptable to you.
    You can add the option to refresh for crystals, of course, so those who spend $$$ can still get the character faster.
    This model is sustainable for quite a while, in my opinion.

Hopefully they continue in the vein of the BH event, the second iteration has decent options. It would be nice to see a different galactic bounty each week in a month...
  • Options
    I think biggest issues that has a number of people burnt out are:

1. Cantina store -done
    2. Cantina nodes - done
    3. Arena store - done
    4. LS hard nodes -done
    5. Fleet store - done

Everything keeps getting dumped into DS hard nodes. The stores will never update. For the first time in forever, something was finally dropped into cantina nodes.... but seriously, after the split to mod currency, cantina nodes are about to become pointless.

The worst part is the new fleet hard nodes. 100 crystal refreshes & doesn't count towards your 600.

Single hard node farms used to be pretty exclusive for very good toons or used as a wall to make getting a legendary toon a little harder. Now, it's where EVERY toon goes, good or not.

Zero diversity... there is no resource management involved. Instead of working on a team, you now work on a single toon.... only to have to repeat that 4 more times to build something viable for HSTR.

It's almost as not-fun as the RNG in HSTR.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options
    Hard node farming and gear crunch are wrecking the game. Kyno will argue untill hes blue im the face that its not true.

He'll say $$$$ to speed it up but how many times have you all refreshed and simmed 14 missions just to drop 1 piece of salvage or done your 5 hard node battle and dropped 1 shard then refreshed energy and the node only to get 0 shards the next time.

So 6 months to a year to farm 1 character out of dozens that you cant gear anyway unless you buy full pieces at £20 each.

Please show me where I said they were good for the game. I will wait...
    @UnstopableSteve

I didnt say you said its good, just not an issue.
    So lets see you say it then. Hard node farming and gear crunch is having a negetive effect on peoples enjoyment of the game and needs to be addressed.

Say it or argue against like I said.

Someone's enjoyment of the game is on them. I think, as I have said, that the current release structure allows for planning and is better than it used to be as far as getting toons into the game.

I have also said that hardnode farms are not great.

I have never said they are not an issue, but they are a 100% free way for anyone to get a toon and with some smart planning and strategy can get a ton they really want quicker using free crystals to speed up the farm.

Whether or not someone is going to enjoy the game, is really more of a personal question. All we can do is hope they change iteams we dont like for a positive growth experience. This is always going to be evolving and changing.
  • Options
    I understand that the people of CG have a hard time, on the one hand the community who feels burnt out, on the other hand there's the company people who want to see numbers. It must be very hard to find a balance that will satisfy all, however this is a big problem with games in general. We've entered a new era where people who are disconnected from gaming will invest into it, hoping for nothing but dollars. They are hurting the industry as a whole, just look at games like Fifa and NBA2k just to mention a few.

We as gamers have to adapt and possibly look for a middle ground, this isn't @CG_Carrie 's fault, but we expect somebody to "represent" us too. We want a person who will stand up to the corporatists and explain how some things aren't just about money. We're all Star wars fans, we spend money on the franchise as a whole and not being able to enjoy our favorite characters in our favorite game because we can't afford the 2-350$ price tag feels like it's too much.
  • 3pourr2
    1927 posts Member
    Options

Ya I’m amazed they even post there considering the first thread is dedicated to bashing the game in the most vulgar way.
  • t0neg0d
    616 posts Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    Whether or not someone is going to enjoy the game, is really more of a personal question. All we can do is hope they change iteams we dont like for a positive growth experience. This is always going to be evolving and changing.

Sorta...

If your customers become NOT customers, than it may be time to take some of that responsibility on.

I'm 99.9% sure that the next hero's journey will require 4 single hard node farms & a new legendary that potentially requires another 5 single hard node farms. Why? Because there isn't anything else to choose from now =(

EDIT: Actually, I completely disagree that my enjoyment of the game is on me. They want my money... gimme something I can enjoy & I'll give them it. Sounds exactly the opposite of my enjoyment of the game is on me.
  • Options
    t0neg0d wrote: »

Sorta...

If your customers become NOT customers, than it may be time to take some of that responsibility on.

I'm 99.9% sure that the next hero's journey will require 4 single hard node farms & a new legendary that potentially requires another 5 single hard node farms. Why? Because there isn't anything else to choose from now =(

EDIT: Actually, I completely disagree that my enjoyment of the game is on me. They want my money... gimme something I can enjoy & I'll give them it. Sounds exactly the opposite of my enjoyment of the game is on me.

Don't worry, soon you may have subscription content
  • Options
    I think biggest issues that has a number of people burnt out are:

1. Cantina store -done
    2. Cantina nodes - done
    3. Arena store - done
    4. LS hard nodes -done
    5. Fleet store - done

Everything keeps getting dumped into DS hard nodes. The stores will never update. For the first time in forever, something was finally dropped into cantina nodes.... but seriously, after the split to mod currency, cantina nodes are about to become pointless.

The worst part is the new fleet hard nodes. 100 crystal refreshes & doesn't count towards your 600.

Single hard node farms used to be pretty exclusive for very good toons or used as a wall to make getting a legendary toon a little harder. Now, it's where EVERY toon goes, good or not.

Zero diversity... there is no resource management involved. Instead of working on a team, you now work on a single toon.... only to have to repeat that 4 more times to build something viable for HSTR.

It's almost as not-fun as the RNG in HSTR.

Actually. I think cantina nodes are actually more important with this move. More toons being added there. And I always wanted mods to have separate energy.

The best and easiest solution I see with this. Push hard nodes back to 8. The simple reason is that there are so many hard nodes to farm now. It’s hard to get the forums to agree on anything- most agreed it was great.

As the game ages I think it’s essential to change certain restrictions from the past. And little recalibrations go a long way. 600 is an old issue -
    So do something that benefits the players. Mod and ship energy count towards it.
    Change hard nodes to 8 attempts. That’s your crystal purchase right there.

The eventuality of level Cap increase will come. Add more nodes. Cantina, ship, mod, ls and ds.

We have long asked for more toons in stores. For whatever reason this path was not chosen. So let’s work on what we have.

I know it’s kind of hard to believe but I feel like this regime actually does listen to the player base. Th Sith raid is a mess and I believe that is because they wanted it to be a challenge for a long long time and was just too much.

Ships- they are trying - but need to diversify ships and metas. (HT does that.)

Tldr- throw us a bone! Increase hard node attempts to 8 again :)
  • Nauros
    5429 posts Member
    Options

Sorta...

There is - Solo. One guild store, two Cantina, one hard character node and one hard ship, both low energy. Plus Nest on a killer node, but she isn't really a part of the crew so I wouldn't expect her to be required. And we just got a Solo bundle...
  • Options

Sorta...

There is - Solo. One guild store, two Cantina, one hard character node and one hard ship, both low energy. Plus Nest on a killer node, but she isn't really a part of the crew so I wouldn't expect her to be required. And we just got a Solo bundle...

Who are you thinking they'll be needed for?

And preparation H didn't really pan out in HSTR unfortunately =( at least last I saw. Did something change there?
  • Atlas1
    1713 posts Member
    Options
    @kyno I get where you’re coming from but it’s like you’re choosing between bad or worse. CG ought to be more creative with character releases so as not to irritate the player base with every new toon release. I for one am also burned out on marquee releases and single hard mode farms with a 5 attempt daily limit.
  • Nauros
    5429 posts Member
    Options

Sorta...

Who are you thinking they'll be needed for?
    My guess is the original Falcon. It makes sense, Solo was basically all about why it's so awesome and how Han got his hands on it. The only issue is that we still don't have original Chewie.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options
    Atlas1 wrote: »
    kyno I get where you’re coming from but it’s like you’re choosing between bad or worse. CG ought to be more creative with character releases so as not to irritate the player base with every new toon release. I for one am also burned out on marquee releases and single hard mode farms with a 5 attempt daily limit.

100% agree. I was just pointing out this was a step in the right direction, they should have followed it up with one or 2 more. 8 attempts was a another good one, but they back out.
  • Nauros
    5429 posts Member
    Options
    Atlas1 wrote: »
    kyno I get where you’re coming from but it’s like you’re choosing between bad or worse. CG ought to be more creative with character releases so as not to irritate the player base with every new toon release. I for one am also burned out on marquee releases and single hard mode farms with a 5 attempt daily limit.

100% agree. I was just pointing out this was a step in the right direction, they should have followed it up with one or 2 more. 8 attempts was a another good one, but they back out.

And the current 5 attempts are still a step up from the "good" old days of 3.