Is F2P dying a slow death?

Prev13456710
alaskanseminole
223 posts Member
edited August 2018
Am I the only F2P/Dolphin who feels like after a dozen or so Marque events that the game is slowly being built towards whales, thus leaving us long-dedicated F2Ps out in the cold watching the game pick up light speed as we watch it blast away?

Replies

• Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options
    Not at all, there is currently no use for those toons and anyone farming them should be making plans according to what they believe will happen.

There is more than enough time (as of right now) to make smart choices and plans to help service your future.

The dev team have mad comments that they felt it was better for the community to push out a bunch of toons on the front end, and then line up events for them on the back end of the year. This would be preferable to them releasing toons, having an event where they are needed and then rinse and repeat.
  • Options
    No.
  • Truf
    32 posts Member
    Options
    I am f2p. I don’t get this feeling at all. I actually think the devs have done everything lately correctly.

Just remember it’s a game to be enjoyed how you want to. You don’t have to chase the meta if you don’t want to.

I think if it wasn’t for the group of chaps in my guild and the banter we have with each other I probably would have quit the game long ago.

• Truf
    32 posts Member
    Options
    I also resign myself to doing legendaries the second time around. I could chase that initial release but I know it isn’t feasible so just pump away for round 2 and then I can learn lessons from people that did it first time
  • Options
    I’m F2P. The HSTR was behind a paywall. Gear 12 Pieces are behind a paywall.. the best Marquee toons are behind a paywall. & now 6• mods will behind a paywall. Each “paywall” expires after 5ish months to make room for the next paywall. Yet F2P can still be competitive. I’m top 5 in ships every day
  • Options
    I’m F2P. The HSTR was behind a paywall. Gear 12 Pieces are behind a paywall.. the best Marquee toons are behind a paywall. & now 6• mods will behind a paywall. Each “paywall” expires after 5ish months to make room for the next paywall. Yet F2P can still be competitive. I’m top 5 in ships every day

This. You can pretty much kiss any chance of being at the forefront of a meta shift as ftp but if you don't try to chase the meta the whales follow you can do plenty well with the ftp toons available.
  • Options
    If anything more are going F2P. Pay to win is not as popular as it was once.
  • Options
    But the best of these new toons (so far) are useable at 3*. Bast and Nest. I don’t really see anyone running new BH, Solo Scoundrels in arena.
  • Options

I feel like that is more an unintended consequence of how much everyone hates sith raid than anything else. Instead of motivating whales in non-hsith guilds (and whales that fail to make top 10) to shell out they spent the last 6 months letting the gap between top 1% of whales and everyone else explode exponentially, convincing the community that if you aren't already at the top there's no point spending trying to get to the top .

At least I very much doubt they intended to convince would be whales that spending money in the game wasn't a good choice because the gap was too large.
  • 3pourr2
    1927 posts Member
    Options
    We just got out throats cut on new mod table that doesnt even give the opportunity to all the slice mats.
  • Nurgle
    252 posts Member
    Options
    Didn‘t it say something about „legendary“ in the newsletter for Mission and Zaalbarbeing in the Chromiums?

It‘s too bad that you can still only delete newsletter instead of being able to mark them as read like in MArvel Strike Force.
    I‘M PICKLE RICK!
  • EAS
    89 posts Member
    Options
    But the best of these new toons (so far) are useable at 3*. Bast and Nest. I don’t really see anyone running new BH, Solo Scoundrels in arena.

oh ok, so your ship shard isnt full of 7* g12 double zeta hounds tooths not dying with anything
  • Atlas1
    1713 posts Member
    Options
    Nah, I’m keeping pretty good pace and I haven’t bought since they removed 21 day packs. In a good guild, complete dailies. Just stay focused on your farming.
  • Options
    I'm F2P and am doing very well. Gearing my guys up at a good pace, getting Zetas at a good rate, and farming who I want at a good rate. I still recommend this game to people looking for a good F2P team-building game.
  • Aliea
    63 posts Member
    Options
    Just feels like a constant money grab with no care for F2P players. I admit that I spend just to "try" to catch up but it is getting to get the point where I am about to say "F" it. I like the game but not the constant money game grab. They don't seem to have respect for those things that just want to play and stay competitive. I mean really $15 for 4 mods and 1 mil credits. Just crazy
  • IC3M4N
    267 posts Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    I have several guys in my alliance already talking of leaving the game. I imagine they were small spenders. And we are doing Hsith
  • Options

I feel like that is more an unintended consequence of how much everyone hates sith raid than anything else. Instead of motivating whales in non-hsith guilds (and whales that fail to make top 10) to shell out they spent the last 6 months letting the gap between top 1% of whales and everyone else explode exponentially, convincing the community that if you aren't already at the top there's no point spending trying to get to the top .

At least I very much doubt they intended to convince would be whales that spending money in the game wasn't a good choice because the gap was too large.

Actually more are hitting the boredom wall and getting off the hamster wheel. This type of game has no real new content, it's more rehashing existing. But many like it so...
  • Options
    Aliea wrote: »
    Just feels like a constant money grab with no care for F2P players. I admit that I spend just to "try" to catch up but it is getting to get the point where I am about to say "F" it. I like the game but not the constant money game grab. They don't seem to have respect for those things that just want to play and stay competitive. I mean really $15 for 4 mods and 1 mil credits. Just crazy

with guaranteed speed primary arrow and speed / protection secondaries. That's an ideal arena setup right there. Sure the secondaries aren't guaranteed to roll, but relative to the original mod store, these prices are super reasonable.

They HAVE to make money somewhere. And if I were really motivated to increase rank in arena (because you know, more crystals) then $15 is a gamble worth taking for guaranteed +45 speed on a toon.
  • Options

Actually more are hitting the boredom wall and getting off the hamster wheel. This type of game has no real new content, it's more rehashing existing. But many like it so...

This is me. I’m just bored...and my boredom gets worse each day. I use to care about arena until STR and Traya took over. I’m still completing dailies and participating in guild events but I’m definitely not dropping cash or planning anything long term. There’s literally nothing to work toward right now.
  • Options
    Jarvind wrote: »

Any headline that ends in a question mark can also be answered by the word yes.
  • Options
    Depends when the FTP started

This is the best F2P roster I've seen. Fellow 2015 starter. But thats nearly 3 years of time

https://swgoh.gg/u/sloweagle/

Starting these days... gee it would be hard to be competitive. If you are lucky to get on a non whale shard you are halfway there.

• Options
    No one leaves this game! They take a break and always come back! Lol
  • Options

This. You can pretty much kiss any chance of being at the forefront of a meta shift as ftp but if you don't try to chase the meta the whales follow you can do plenty well with the ftp toons available.

This This.

I play to be playing; not have had played. I enjoy the animations ("C'mere! I'm gonna use Thrawn's Fracture! Check it out!")

I'm pretty much a minnow (though I see myself more as a cuttlefish), and I have always been aware that the whales play a different game. That's fine. Good for them.
    When my (almost-)FTP Troopers can take out a stronger squad, I feel a real sense of accomplishment. Without Zetas, even. Knowing that I earned (almost) every shard on the tables gives me a real sense of ownership.

YMMV, of course.
  • Gorem
    1190 posts Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    I really feel for the people who try and play this game f2p now, it used to be so much better like a year ago, but whales and the dev's/EA's Cash grabs being fed by the whales have really downplayed this game immensely. 3k crystals for something you know only exists cause EA knows whales still pay for it regardless, because fairness and fun can't exist, it has to be all about the mula.

Also, you realise how terrible the excuse is that "f2p shouldn't be able to win or be top"? Like, I've literatlly never seen someone give up that much hope and even make up excuses as to why a game can't be good or better.
  • Options
    I play f2p, started last year , i love the game , yeah the whales get an advantage, but guess what , they pay for it , which keeps the game going.
    THERE is no truly f2p game , cause if the company makes no money then you have no game.
    If you want to be top of the arena or beat hsith , yeah you have to pay , but guess what , if you dont you can be free to play and still enjoy the game.
    If you stopped worrying about what everyone else has and enjoy what you have, the game is more fun. But don't forget what this game is , its a grind, thats the point of it. If everyone had everything maxxed , why play ?
  • Options
    I disagree.... You don't NEED all of these multiple marquis characters maxed out..... Some of them will be needed for legendary down the road, but they will be farmable by then..... Just accept that you won't be able.to get that legendary first pass and start farming for the next one .... It's really not that big of a deal......

We are in an era where anyone with a brain can be arena competitive, and it doesn't require money...... Be happy about that....
  • Options
    BubbaFett wrote: »
    I disagree.... You don't NEED all of these multiple marquis characters maxed out..... Some of them will be needed for legendary down the road, but they will be farmable by then..... Just accept that you won't be able.to get that legendary first pass and start farming for the next one .... It's really not that big of a deal......

We are in an era where anyone with a brain can be arena competitive, and it doesn't require money...... Be happy about that....

This, so much
  • Options
    Definitely interesting to read all the different perspectives.