It's about hope

Prev1
Star Wars is all about hope.

Up until now, if you did very well in Arena and Fleet, then you could earn enough crystal to keep up with all of the content. If you messed up or wanted to get ahead, you might throw in a little cash, but if you played very well you could get by on knowledge and dedication alone.

Most people aren't in that situation, but they aspire to be. Like the 'American Dream', anyone can succeed well enough to be at the top. Even if you pay no money in this game, there's still a tiny chance that you'll reach the top. You probably won't, but that chance exists, and everyone has a chance. Just as you do when you buy a lotto ticket: the chance of winning is tiny, but it's there - there's hope. So you'll fight for it.

Sure, we make most of our money from the big spenders, but we need things to be competitive and interesting for them. The range of players underneath does this - even when you spend the big money you improve your prospects, but it's still a challenge, it's still interesting.

Until now, every player had an incentive to do their absolute best, because anybody could win. The more money you paid, the better your odds, but everyone had a chance. But with the Revan event, a large chunk of the player base has no possibility of getting to the top.

Why fight when there's no hope?

Replies

• Options
    Fake news. There are plenty f2p getting Revan. No it’s not easy, and yes you had to plan well ahead. You didn’t, so learn from this and move on.
    Hodor
  • Options
    It's a game, Every single F2P game is like that.

If you buy a $30-$60 game, everyone has the same advantage and only difference is cosmetics. In a F2P game they need to figure something out to get the cash flowing. Most people talk trash about people who gain the advantage by spending money, But they're wrong about that aspect, because if there weren't people spending money, the game would be dead quick.

Instead of complaining about the advantage of P2P why not continue to strive in advancing your roster? Join a great guild that can farm HRancor HAAT and Sith raid (Doesn't have to be Heroic Sith) You'll get guild tokens, guild event tokens and all sorts of goodies. The arena shard can only take you so far, You eventually run out of toons to unlock with arena shard and as far as fleet goes, if you stay in the 100-200 area, you get 1,200 fleet tokens (That's fairly easy to do and that's 3 purchases @ 400 each).

You need to see it in a positive way, not a negative way. Allow the whales to play as the powerful beasts they are and thank them for keeping the game running for you.
  • Options
    BadAndy wrote: »
    Why fight when there's no hope?

Well I usually have fun playing this game, that’s why I fight. And I know I won’t be upset grinding to get Revan next time, because for me that’s part of the fun. I don’t care if whales just skip the grind, that’s their choice.

And I’m sure it will be possible to beat Revan, F2P will still have a shot at the top. CG has yet to release a completely unbeatable character.
  • Options
    r2steve2 wrote: »
    Fake news. There are plenty f2p getting Revan. No it’s not easy, and yes you had to plan well ahead. You didn’t, so learn from this and move on.

Are you one of them? Tell us how you did it...
  • Options

Started farming kotor toons as soon as they were dropped and didnt stop to get chewie. Ppl who dedicated themselves to get Revan , knowing these 5 toons would lead to him, will unlock him. The rest of us will have to farm and plan for his next go around.
  • HK22
    645 posts Member
    Options
    Galactic Power is built on hope!
  • Options

Started farming kotor toons as soon as they were dropped and didnt stop to get chewie. Ppl who dedicated themselves to get Revan , knowing these 5 toons would lead to him, will unlock him. The rest of us will have to farm and plan for his next go around.

You absolutely won’t have all 5 toons at 7* unless you paid money. You can probably be close. I’ve been attaching those 5 since they were released without a break. None is higher than 5*. Even with absolutely amazing drop rates you’d still be short
  • ctyc123
    328 posts Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    Star Wars is all about hope.

Up until now, if you did very well in Arena and Fleet, then you could earn enough crystal to keep up with all of the content. If you messed up or wanted to get ahead, you might throw in a little cash, but if you played very well you could get by on knowledge and dedication alone.

What hope? When the arena payout system is screwed up with 5-8 people able to get 1st at one timing, while there's only one person whose payout is at the following hour.

• Options
    RushGotti wrote: »
    It's a game, Every single F2P game is like that.

If you buy a $30-$60 game, everyone has the same advantage and only difference is cosmetics. In a F2P game they need to figure something out to get the cash flowing. Most people talk trash about people who gain the advantage by spending money, But they're wrong about that aspect, because if there weren't people spending money, the game would be dead quick.

Instead of complaining about the advantage of P2P why not continue to strive in advancing your roster? Join a great guild that can farm HRancor HAAT and Sith raid (Doesn't have to be Heroic Sith) You'll get guild tokens, guild event tokens and all sorts of goodies. The arena shard can only take you so far, You eventually run out of toons to unlock with arena shard and as far as fleet goes, if you stay in the 100-200 area, you get 1,200 fleet tokens (That's fairly easy to do and that's 3 purchases @ 400 each).

You need to see it in a positive way, not a negative way. Allow the whales to play as the powerful beasts they are and thank them for keeping the game running for you.

Agreed, when i started for maybe a month i was in a small guild of 6M GP(had some friends it) then decided with a buddy to leave due to inactivity to a guild of 30M, now our guild is 80M, doing Hranc, HAat, T6 sith.
    There is lots of options to work on, having all hope dependant on getting Revan next week seems like a fairly narrow view on what you can do.... Especially when details of the event and Revans kit arent even announced.
  • Options

I don't know about him but I had hoarded 80k crystals before the event purely from F2P earnings. Dropped 28k crystals on the OR faction pack and I'm well on track to farming them all to 7* by the end of the event. So I've still got a nice 50k buffer for the next big panic farm.
  • Options
    To measure success or failure in the game as getting new event characters at seven stars the first time is pretty silly. He's going to come back. There's always next time.

CG is adding new content. That new content is not just Revan. It is not just Revan and the Revan event. It is Revan, the Revan event, and a set of goals to work toward in order to unlock Revan. That last part is the game. Galaxy of Heroes is a resource management game with a fighting minigame.
    Still not a he.
  • Options
    YaeVizsla wrote: »
    To measure success or failure in the game as getting new event characters at seven stars the first time is pretty silly. He's going to come back. There's always next time.

CG is adding new content. That new content is not just Revan. It is not just Revan and the Revan event. It is Revan, the Revan event, and a set of goals to work toward in order to unlock Revan. That last part is the game. Galaxy of Heroes is a resource management game with a fighting minigame.

Louder for the people in the back!
  • No_Try
    4051 posts Member
    Options

So went the legend. They reside in Galapagos I guess. I've seen 1 so far with a 40k crystal savings. Yet to see another. But hey, they are out there!
  • dad2my3
    1561 posts Member
    Options
    Disney didn’t acquire Star Wars for four billion dollars because of hope. They did it for money. That is the only hope involved—they hope they make a profit and get a huge return on their investment.
  • Options
    Huatimus wrote: »

I don't know about him but I had hoarded 80k crystals before the event purely from F2P earnings. Dropped 28k crystals on the OR faction pack and I'm well on track to farming them all to 7* by the end of the event. So I've still got a nice 50k buffer for the next big panic farm.

Might as well stop playing at that point. :V
    What's the fun in hoarding so much? Also, Isn't it better spent on improving your roster further? (Yeah i know you've got a great 3m ftp roster, but still.) Hoarding pretty much kills the fun part of the game imo.
  • Options

Might as well stop playing at that point. :V
    What's the fun in hoarding so much? Also, Isn't it better spent on improving your roster further? (Yeah i know you've got a great 3m ftp roster, but still.) Hoarding pretty much kills the fun part of the game imo.

Yes, my roster can be improved, like I could have 7* Enfys Nest but that wasn't a necessity so I decided to skip it(Didn't need it for Arena, and still useable in TW at less than 7*). 30k crystals isn't going to significantly change my roster in any way though. And I just splurged 30k crystals on OR/Revan, does that count as living a little and having fun?

Besides, once I finish panic farming the OR characters, I'd have so few characters to farm that I should get positive crystal income again after that which will be hoarded till the next big release.
  • Options
    JK_47 wrote: »

You absolutely won’t have all 5 toons at 7* unless you paid money. You can probably be close. I’ve been attaching those 5 since they were released without a break. None is higher than 5*. Even with absolutely amazing drop rates you’d still be short

That's odd. Completely f2p here, and I've had Bastila at 7* for a month purely through buying shards with crystals. Not a single simmed battle. Zaalbar near to 6 with a combination of both, and the others at 3 or 4 but only started farming them in battles & stores in last week. Granted, I include the use of crystals as farming, but I've not spent a penny to get above 5*, which you say should have been impossible.
  • Options

You saved 80k crystals? You ignored Chewbacca or did you already have bounty hunters geared and you got Chewbacca anyways? To me it sounds an awful lot like you have some inside information of what's going on precisely...
  • Options
    CHFC22 wrote: »

That's odd. Completely f2p here, and I've had Bastila at 7* for a month purely through buying shards with crystals. Not a single simmed battle. Zaalbar near to 6 with a combination of both, and the others at 3 or 4 but only started farming them in battles & stores in last week. Granted, I include the use of crystals as farming, but I've not spent a penny to get above 5*, which you say should have been impossible.

So what you're saying is that as a f2p even after using all of your stocked crystals you're only going to get 1 of 5 to the necessary 7*? Pretty sure that's what the op is saying.

I'm f2p and have the hard node characters just past 6* but the cantina farm is rough. T3 is Just short of 6* and mission is just short of 5*. Even with 3 refreshes a day I'm not going to get close on that front. I'd need about 30k stockpiled crystals. I had around 10k but went for chewie as I didn't think they'd put them so close together. Now it appears it was a deliberate ploy.
  • Options
    DavieJG wrote: »

So what you're saying is that as a f2p even after using all of your stocked crystals you're only going to get 1 of 5 to the necessary 7*? Pretty sure that's what the op is saying.

I'm f2p and have the hard node characters just past 6* but the cantina farm is rough. T3 is Just short of 6* and mission is just short of 5*. Even with 3 refreshes a day I'm not going to get close on that front. I'd need about 30k stockpiled crystals. I had around 10k but went for chewie as I didn't think they'd put them so close together. Now it appears it was a deliberate ploy.

Nope. Not saying that. No hidden message - just pointing out the problem with sweeping statements. The op specifically stated you could not have any of the 5 above 5* unless you had paid. That's factually incorrect. Lots of hyperbole in this forum meaning you're more likely to be at best ignored. For what it's worth, not sure I'd ever have got Revan even if I'd started farming in earnest from day 1, but that's very different from saying what the op said.
  • Options
    The op specifically stated you could not have any of the 5 above 5* unless you had paid. That's factually incorrect. Lots of hyperbole in this forum meaning you're more likely to be at best ignored. For what it's worth, not sure I'd ever have got Revan even if I'd started farming in earnest from day 1, but that's very different from saying what the op said.

I'm the OP and I never said that. I have 3 of 'em at 6*, the other two on 5*. I started mad farming the moment they came F2P, and if I spend a bit then I might actually make it. Like most, I'm finding the cantina farm to be a real problem.

The bit I'm sad about is they just seem to be squeezing that lemon too hard these days. It's locking too many people out.
  • Options
    The op specifically stated you could not have any of the 5 above 5* unless you had paid. That's factually incorrect. Lots of hyperbole in this forum meaning you're more likely to be at best ignored. For what it's worth, not sure I'd ever have got Revan even if I'd started farming in earnest from day 1, but that's very different from saying what the op said.

I'm the OP and I never said that. I have 3 of 'em at 6*, the other two on 5*. I started mad farming the moment they came F2P, and if I spend a bit then I might actually make it. Like most, I'm finding the cantina farm to be a real problem.

The bit I'm sad about is they just seem to be squeezing that lemon too hard these days. It's locking too many people out.

Sorry dude - twas someone else!
  • Options
    It's so funny how everyone now is f2p, first the majority of the community was together seeing that this event is totally rushed, and the businnes model is outrageous, now after all the complaints everyone will get Revan and everyone is f2p. This happens a lot on this forum, that's why CG keeps doing this, this community is always divide, and is getting worse, they're coming with more and more hardcore p2p events! Good job to all the "smart and luck F2P" people who will get Revan!
  • Options
    I think it's completely fine that there is stuff we don't have. Jump into a younger guild for a week - there are guys stoked about getting Rey right now or working towards CLS.
    Having played a long time or having spent money previously doesn't guarantee us anything that is new.
    I WISH that the Revan announcement had come with a disclaimer that itt will be difficult to achieve unlock on the first go - packs will be available for people who want to get him early.
    I think that we can expect this level of difficulty going forwards.
  • Options
    Hoarding crystals crystals can lead to holes in roster. It's less visible in old accounts and profitable (if at all) as long as you get 1 rank in both arenas. Will it turned out to be profitable with new Revan? We don't know yet.
    But personally I would rather not compare something possible to something realistic.

Basing on my own farm and crystals I would have chance to get Revan if I did ignore chewbacca event and didn't spend about 15k crystals on try hard boba fett team :wink:. Anyway that time I coudn't foresee that the event will come so quickly without yet farmable characters. I think CGs posts caused me to believe that eventually I will have enough time... and if not, there will be some magic pack with which I will have enough shards.. cuz I am not saying I have never spent money.

At the end I think that I can never get again journey character (hopefully I can legendary :sweat_smile: ) in first run :#
  • Options
    Hanzo wrote: »
    It's so funny how everyone now is f2p, first the majority of the community was together seeing that this event is totally rushed, and the businnes model is outrageous, now after all the complaints everyone will get Revan and everyone is f2p. This happens a lot on this forum, that's why CG keeps doing this, this community is always divide, and is getting worse, they're coming with more and more hardcore p2p events! Good job to all the "smart and luck F2P" people who will get Revan!

Personally i’m not too suspicious about the number of ftp on the forum (a lot of people are ftp). I’m much more suspicious at the number of ftp apparently constantly securing top spot in both arenas. I don’t know how many shards are out there, but we have a spectacular number of ftp top 5 in both ship and squad on the forums.
    They also seem able to hoard massive amounts of crystal on top of that.
    But hey can’t prove anything so i won’t make any kind of accusations.

Plenty of f2p getting Revan is indeed a fake news. A extremely low number of f2p will get Revan.
    Still it was in a way possible and I don’t mind getting him on the second appearance, but lies and bad faith bother me.
  • Options
    JohnAran wrote: »

Personally i’m not too suspicious about the number of ftp on the forum (a lot of people are ftp). I’m much more suspicious at the number of ftp apparently constantly securing top spot in both arenas. I don’t know how many shards are out there, but we have a spectacular number of ftp top 5 in both ship and squad on the forums.

haha, I think some are f2p only for a while
  • Options

Plenty of f2p getting Revan is indeed a fake news. A extremely low number of f2p will get Revan.
    Still it was in a way possible and I don’t mind getting him on the second appearance, but lies and bad faith bother me.

At its prime, leaderboards were being filled every 2 days. Even now it's being filled like once a week. Assuming it was average of 4 days to fill, and launched almost 3 years ago, that's approximately 250 leaderboards.
    There are 30+ distinct timezones but assume that only the 6 most populated are being utilised, there's like 1500 players who are getting double number 1s. Multiply that a few times to get those with consistent top 5 payouts. Minus the whales, that's still a LOT of top 5 F2P.
  • Options

I think that "succcessful" f2p players recognize that they need to hoard to keep pace. That probably means not having as many teams highly geared but allows them to unlock all the new characters if they continue to guess and invest in the right places. If the millenium falcon legendary is right around the corner you will a fewer number of f2p with the reserves left to get that one too.
    I think that if CG could do this year over they would have changed the release dates a bit...separate the legendary/heroics a bit to breakup marquees....as it is it feels like they intentionally wanted to eat away some of the crystal reserves before Revan. That makes complete sense though, I am sure their reports were showing a massive numebr of players hoarding crystals and gear.