Grand Arena Megathread

Replies

• I would like to see 5 fleets vs 5 fleets with commanders aveilable on both defense and ofense + devastator as the 5th, now that would require strategy. PVP is a bit boring and feels repetative, I played all the GA since release and feel like I'm going against exactly the same thing, fighting a limited roster is somewhat boring and feels repetitive, the rewards are not very good for the time it requires and the teams are limited to what you can use so you just end up with the same X matches with the same team comps, risking a 1 unit wipe against a team risks to many points on loss therefore you might as well go with the suggested team comp and not risk anything. Issue is keeping your PVP on ofense as you need to break trough that 1 mirror team and if you fail that match you might as well give up...
  • Gannon
    1619 posts Member
    I would like to see all the weird TW ideas and stuff limited to GA, where nobody cares too much if they lose, and it doesn't negatively impact 49 other players if you fail.

I would like to see those who don't place defenses in GA disqualified and denied rewards and replaced with a random ai player, similar to gw.

I would like to see a place to test new ideas, combos, etc without risking losing rewards. Maybe turn GA into a sandbox playground with reward brackets based on full participation over wins, allowing multiple ppl in the first place spot.

I would like to see some indication that cg is reading anything we say here... Lol

I'll prolly never see any of that tho.
  • Gannon wrote: »
    Mzee wrote: »
    Gannon wrote: »
    3v3 is stupid and needs to stop. Game is designed for 5v5, not for 3v3. Every other game mode since inception has been 5 v 5, NOT 3v3. After winning 1, and then losing another I quit this dumb game mode today.

Most teams are built on a foundation of 3 toons. Once you figure out how they function in the 3v3 setting, you can even take our full 5 toon teams with only 3 toons. Bast, Yoda, and a tank. Jango, Boba, cad. The triumvirate. Ventress, Daka, zombie. Cls, han, chewie. There's so many examples of 3 key toons, and two replaceable. Why not do 3v3?

Because teams like JTR that are used as a solid counter to Bastille do not work in 3v3. Some teams do work in a 3v3 mode, but many do not.

Jtr is a terrible counter for bastilla, even 5v5. Basty will wipe them out under ai 9/10 times.
    But my point stands, the choir of that team is jtr, bb8 and r2 usually. It works the same against 3v3 teams as 5v5, as long as it's a good counter to begin with

I’m not sure who is offense and who is defense in what you say, but offense jtr against defense bastila is basically a guaranteed win, in 5vs5. And there are a lot of teams/matchups that don’t work the same at all in 5vs5 and 3vs3. Which is the entire and exclusive point of the change by the way.

I agree though, i much prefer 5vs5. It’s not that i don’t like 3vs3, it’s just that i find it less interesting. And i must admit, i’ve downloaded a game, i’ve played it for 15 months because i love it, and now it’s been 3 months since i had the chance to play a normal tw, and the only ga of the month is a clown one too. I’m starting to wonder if the game i’ve been playing all this time is just gone. People say things like « keeping it fresh » or whatever, i have nothing against that. But if i’ve playing for that long it’s because, unlike apparently a lot of people here, i actually enjoy the game. A special event here and there, yeah sure. What’s happening now is not keeping things fresh though, it’s a definitive change of something i loved to something i mostly despise. It’s not the end of the world, but I am genuinely disappointed.
  • No_Try
    4051 posts Member
    edited January 2019
    JohnAran wrote: »
    3v3 is stupid and needs to stop. Game is designed for 5v5, not for 3v3. Every other game mode since inception has been 5 v 5, NOT 3v3. After winning 1, and then losing another I quit this dumb game mode today.

Most teams are built on a foundation of 3 toons. Once you figure out how they function in the 3v3 setting, you can even take our full 5 toon teams with only 3 toons. Bast, Yoda, and a tank. Jango, Boba, cad. The triumvirate. Ventress, Daka, zombie. Cls, han, chewie. There's so many examples of 3 key toons, and two replaceable. Why not do 3v3?

Because teams like JTR that are used as a solid counter to Bastille do not work in 3v3. Some teams do work in a 3v3 mode, but many do not.

Jtr is a terrible counter for bastilla, even 5v5. Basty will wipe them out under ai 9/10 times.
    But my point stands, the choir of that team is jtr, bb8 and r2 usually. It works the same against 3v3 teams as 5v5, as long as it's a good counter to begin with

I’m not sure who is offense and who is defense in what you say, but offense jtr against defense bastila is basically a guaranteed win, in 5vs5. And there are a lot of teams/matchups that don’t work the same at all in 5vs5 and 3vs3. Which is the entire and exclusive point of the change by the way.

I agree though, i much prefer 5vs5. It’s not that i don’t like 3vs3, it’s just that i find it less interesting. And i must admit, i’ve downloaded a game, i’ve played it for 15 months because i love it, and now it’s been 3 months since i had the chance to play a normal tw, and the only ga of the month is a clown one too. I’m starting to wonder if the game i’ve been playing all this time is just gone. People say things like « keeping it fresh » or whatever, i have nothing against that. But if i’ve playing for that long it’s because, unlike apparently a lot of people here, i actually enjoy the game. A special event here and there, yeah sure. What’s happening now is not keeping things fresh though, it’s a definitive change of something i loved to something i mostly despise. It’s not the end of the world, but I am genuinely disappointed.

I agree to a degree, default format can be balanced with special formats on %50. After all nonstop special formats also annuls the motivation to develop teams specifically for TW. Jawas will blow them away xD.

I guess the first bonused events were received well and was refreshing for me too. But they need to fine tune how much to boost stuff to not make rest of the frontier a non subject.
  • Ok guys at swgoh...it's a nonbrainer...take the darn ship gp out of the matchmaking equation.
    If we are not using ships, well, it is just "bass ackwards".7h41pddmewti.gif
  • Gannon
    1619 posts Member

Maybe jtr v basty was a bad example, cuz I run bast in arena and look for jtr teams and hit auto immediately. Always wipes em. Your experience seems different, but I don't know how meta your opponents usually are.

My point was that the core of the team is usually 3 key toons tho. Like bast, Yoda, tank. The other two just boost the damage really, but you can wipe the same teams with an "undermanned" squad as long add those toons are there.
    I don't mind 3v3 GA, cuz even in 5v5 we're given extra points for using under manned squads, so it helps ppl figure out what the core of the teams are.
  • My only request is in the setup phase please make it possible to change our defense teams after we place them down.

I accidentally set an offense team in a defense spot and seems kinda strange that it locks them as soon as we place them, rather than at the end of the setup phase.

Otherwise, I've really enjoyed the challenge of GA, especially the 3v3 as it's a unique play style that is a refreshing change in the game.
  • @CG_SBCrumb Is the auto-deploy feature still disabled? If a player doesn’t set a defense in Round 1, will the game auto-deploy from that player’s roster? If a player does set a defense in Round 1 but forgets to set a defense in Round 2, will the game auto-deploy the previous Round’s defenses? Thanks!
  • Ultra
    11423 posts Moderator
    Its disabled
  • yohann269
    375 posts Member
    edited January 2019
    @CG_SBCrumb Is the auto-deploy feature still disabled? If a player doesn’t set a defense in Round 1, will the game auto-deploy from that player’s roster? If a player does set a defense in Round 1 but forgets to set a defense in Round 2, will the game auto-deploy the previous Round’s defenses? Thanks!

if you set a defense in Round 1 it will auto deploy that same defense for Round 2 and 3
  • Gannon wrote: »

Maybe jtr v basty was a bad example, cuz I run bast in arena and look for jtr teams and hit auto immediately. Always wipes em. Your experience seems different, but I don't know how meta your opponents usually are.

My point was that the core of the team is usually 3 key toons tho. Like bast, Yoda, tank. The other two just boost the damage really, but you can wipe the same teams with an "undermanned" squad as long add those toons are there.
    I don't mind 3v3 GA, cuz even in 5v5 we're given extra points for using under manned squads, so it helps ppl figure out what the core of the teams are.

My experience is not different, you say that as if both were exclusive somehow. I have no doubt bastila can auto jtr on offense, bastila is the second most notorious ia abuser after nightsisters. Jtr does not auto bastila on offense but it’s extremely easy to win. Same as nightmare teams are free wins with jtr + c3, but i’m fairly certain nightmare teams can hit back safely too.
    I understand the point and i just partially disagree with it. Some mechanics are much more dangerous in 3v3 or much harder to play around, you can easily lack damage, or speed, or a taunt, crowd control is insane. So it’s true that some teams are fairly easy to build (cls han chewie for example), but there are tons of teams that are really not that obvious. Especially when considering offense and defense.
  • Mech
    11 posts Member
    edited January 2019
    Not fond of the matchmaking. When I started, I just played and leveled up toons. Now I have too broad contributing to Total GP and getting matched with folks that specifically farmed the top 50 toon maxed with g12, Traya and revan which I don’t have, and all the other toons they either not activated or level 1. So I messed up early on. I am sure I’m not the only one so it would be more fun for everyone to try to set better matchups. I just don’t participate anymore as it’s no fun to get your butt kicked everytime. Not asking for it to be perfect but the matchups I’ve been in since the start are impossible. Just a terrible experience and don’t feel like playing anymore or any other CG game.

Edited for langauge. - EA_Cian
    Post edited by EA_Cian on
  • yohann269 wrote: »
    @CG_SBCrumb Is the auto-deploy feature still disabled? If a player doesn’t set a defense in Round 1, will the game auto-deploy from that player’s roster? If a player does set a defense in Round 1 but forgets to set a defense in Round 2, will the game auto-deploy the previous Round’s defenses? Thanks!

if you set a defense in Round 1 it will auto deploy that same defense for Round 2 and 3

It didn’t reset previous defenses for round two this time for me
  • I don’t like how fleet GP is calculated in match making even when they aren’t used. They definitely need to work on the matching system. 4 in my bracket of 8 don’t stand a chance against me, 2 are about even with me and 1 is far superior. The algorithm they are using needs serious work.
  • I'll take as many Grand Arena events as possible. As for structure, as long as there are no character bans, I'm up for trying anything. Same goes for TW.
  • @CG_SBCrumb @CG_Carrie please pay attention to your players. For once

Buff the rewards because it’s not worth it right now. When you had 90 salvage you were on the right track. Taking away salvage for THREE zeta mats or THREE omega mats shows you have no idea what we want or need.

Stop factoring ship GP in when ships aren’t being used. It’s dumb and pointless and creates too many mismatches.

Stop doing blanket 3v3. Mix it into 5v5.
  • I would like to see something different than 5v5 or 3v3. There are so many possibilities:
    -8v8
    -8v8 with 2 leader slots per squad
    -territory requirements (e.g. defense must set imperial troopers only; offense has to us ewoks and c3p0) ***this would also be a great opportunity to introduce more Clones***
    Ideas that challenge the depth of players factions/synergies.
    You obviously have to increase match lengths. But I think 4 territories, one 8 character squad per territory, 8 minute matches, would be more interesting than the 10 three character squads we are doing now.

On a separate note, it would be great to have intra-guild competition. Maybe a challenge, accept, reject matchmaking process.
  • 3pourr2
    1927 posts Member
    I would like atleast one vanilla tw a month.
  • Dk_rek
    3299 posts Member
    3pourr2 wrote: »
    I would like atleast one vanilla tw a month.
    ycj0p0cmy6tl.jpeg

• Gannon
    1619 posts Member

My experience is not different, you say that as if both were exclusive somehow. I have no doubt bastila can auto jtr on offense, bastila is the second most notorious ia abuser after nightsisters. Jtr does not auto bastila on offense but it’s extremely easy to win. Same as nightmare teams are free wins with jtr + c3, but i’m fairly certain nightmare teams can hit back safely too.
    I understand the point and i just partially disagree with it. Some mechanics are much more dangerous in 3v3 or much harder to play around, you can easily lack damage, or speed, or a taunt, crowd control is insane. So it’s true that some teams are fairly easy to build (cls han chewie for example), but there are tons of teams that are really not that obvious. Especially when considering offense and defense.

Yea that's true. But I mean that there are key toons to any line, and in 3v3 you have to use only those and hope you got the right ones. Like you said with cls Han and chewy, some are really easy. Some like Ns can be interesting, cuz if you run Daka as lead with ventress and zombie it can often hold better and be more annoying. Some teams like ps are really difficult to figure out, but once you see it, it seems pretty obvious and easy you know?
    Once you figure out how to 3v3 tho, it makes 5v5 feel easier, or at least it did for me. Now I routinely throw 3 man teams at 5 man teams in everything (except standard arena cuz it wouldn't hold lol)
  • MadHatSam
    21 posts Member
    edited January 2019
    50% TWs should be vanilla

Bonuses should be on single toons, not whole factions

Bans feel bad, cannot be so wide ranging

PS 3v3 GA isn't that fun.
  • I love the guys defending current matchmaking, try this 'fair' and 'rare' and 'unlucky'. All of my 7 opponents have more char GP, ranging from 80k to 300k difference.

Right now:
    My char GP: 2 128 096
    Current opponent char GP: 2 350 015
    Difference: 221 919
    Avarage combat ready 7* G11 or G12 w/o Zetas = 17-18k GP. 221919/17000 = 13.05. Sure, the difference can be in zetas, or G12+ gear, and in garbage, but nevertheless it approximately equates to 4 full 3 char squads or two full 5 char squads.

Seems fair? Am I too invested into the ships? Well, yes and no! My fleet arena shard is quite competitive in top15. Asked others top shardmates and they are getting screwed the same way.

• Ship power should not be used for matchmaking if there is no ship territory present. And when there is one ship territory ship power should be calculated as (ship territory max possible points in attack and defense)/(total possible points)*ship power, because if my ship power is 40% of my total power its dumb that you get from it only 10-20% points. This way you are penalizing people that invested time and money in ships.
  • First time posting. New player (Nov) and first GA. Just had a match where he set no defense. I win by default but he wiped my guys (I saved my good teams for offense). He gets money and I dont. Absolute garbage. If you dont set a defense you should not get offense rewards. Based on his roster this was a fair fight. He shouldn't get cash if I cant even try. He obviously did this before as he did not default set a defense based on comments above. Need the cash to raise levels. Of course EA wont care because I will end up buying crystals anyways. HINT to the developer - Noise like this makes me think about downgrading from kraken to dolphin.
  • I'd like to see about 50/50 vanilla and themed TWs. Also, fewer GAs. GA is pretty boring at the 4-million plus area, I've found. The game, overall, is taking way too much time, too. Surely it's time to roll Pit, Tank, and Territory Battles in to daily rewards, rather than making us repeat the same content regularly. Just let us sim the lot.
  • VonZant
    3843 posts Member
    Sturrock wrote: »
    I'd like to see about 50/50 vanilla and themed TWs. Also, fewer GAs. GA is pretty boring at the 4-million plus area, I've found. The game, overall, is taking way too much time, too. Surely it's time to roll Pit, Tank, and Territory Battles in to daily rewards, rather than making us repeat the same content regularly. Just let us sim the lot.

Should probably just let us log in to one free 7* g12 character a day and let us choose our arena rank while they are at it.
  • Liath
    5140 posts Member
    I love the guys defending current matchmaking, try this 'fair' and 'rare' and 'unlucky'. All of my 7 opponents have more char GP, ranging from 80k to 300k difference.

Right now:
    My char GP: 2 128 096
    Current opponent char GP: 2 350 015
    Difference: 221 919
    Avarage combat ready 7* G11 or G12 w/o Zetas = 17-18k GP. 221919/17000 = 13.05. Sure, the difference can be in zetas, or G12+ gear, and in garbage, but nevertheless it approximately equates to 4 full 3 char squads or two full 5 char squads.

Seems fair? Am I too invested into the ships? Well, yes and no! My fleet arena shard is quite competitive in top15. Asked others top shardmates and they are getting screwed the same way.

I have the lowest character GP of my group too and I expect it to make approximately zero difference to the result. I actually do think matching should separate out ship GP, but I think in most cases it’s not nearly as big a factor as people are making it out to be.
  • @Liath "but I think in most cases it’s not nearly as big a factor as people are making it out to be" That is not entirely true. Difference in char power is from 30-120k and that is much more felt in 3vs3 then regular 5vs5. 30-120k more power means 3-12 20k power characters instead of mine 3-12 10k characters. So he will have 1-4 more fully upgraded teams. And all that is happening because ship power is calculated when it should not be.
  • Gannon
    1619 posts Member
    Coa020 wrote: »
    @Liath "but I think in most cases it’s not nearly as big a factor as people are making it out to be" That is not entirely true. Difference in char power is from 30-120k and that is much more felt in 3vs3 then regular 5vs5. 30-120k more power means 3-12 20k power characters instead of mine 3-12 10k characters. So he will have 1-4 more fully upgraded teams. And all that is happening because ship power is calculated when it should not be.

That's true, but there's still a set number of teams. The number of nodes is based on your gp and what your minimum number of teams should be at that point, half for defense, half for offense. So any teams beyond that is just a safety net if you fail attacks, which shouldn't ever happen if you want to be competitive at all, cuz we've all known all the best counters for a long time now..
    So that guy will just have a bigger safety net on offense, but if he's competent he shouldn't need it.
  • At my 3,25m GP i need 10 teams on offense and 10 teams on defense, and that is 60 chars. I have 21 g12; 11 g11; 9 g10 and rest is g8&9. So again your argument is not true. Instead of 3-12 crappy 10k power g8&9 chars they have 3-12 almost fully geared chars. and that will most certainly get you one full team short to deal with enemy defense.