Power Creep: Slow Your Roll

Alright, so power creep has been a gigantic, obnoxious elephant in the room for years, now, but Darth Revan and his Sith Empire? You guys are going too fast.

I’m sure I’m not alone in believing the ideal arena would have a series of Rock-Paper-Scissors-like matchups in which everyone can be beaten by someone. Instead, what we are presented with meta after meta is a brutal game of Rock-Bigger Rock-Biggest Rock in which one team stands totally uncontested at the top of the pyramid.

This is because you guys are (and I say this with love) super bad at pacing your power creep. Every big new release needs to not only win, but totally annihilate all competition in such a way that it can’t be touched.

Not long ago it was announced that this game has a plan spanning at least 5 years into the future. This game was released not 3.5 years ago, in November, 2015. Knowing that, try to imagine what a Meta character might look like 5 years from now.

Some perspective for newer players: when this game was young, abilities that couldn’t be evaded or resisted hadn’t made their way into even the strongest of kits. Nowadays, fine print like this is tacked onto abilities left and right, and is all but necessary to qualify the character for “Mediocre” status.

This isn’t healthy game balance. You can’t just come up with more and more mechanics that straight up deny counterplay, because there is no end to it. There’s always a bigger fish, CG, and your fish are huge already. Eventually you’ll have kits running around that deny the enemy’s Leader Ability, or permanent debuffs that disable Uniques and can’t be dispelled.

Now you’ve gone and introduced “Can’t inflict debuffs” into the game with Fallen Bastila’s Corrupted Battle Meditation and I’m sorry, but I have to wonder: when does it end? How far is too far, and how many convoluted synergies, mechanics and counter-mechanics must a single character wield in order to compete in this increasingly complicated meta?

You’ve got to slow down the creep some time, or the future is going to get waaaay out of hand... just my two cents.

Replies

• Gryf
    95 posts Member
    Options
    Is this the first "Please nerf Revan" thread??? 🎉🎉🎉🎉🎉 Congrats on being first!!!
  • Calbear949
    839 posts Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    No...the ideal arena should not be rock scisscor or paper because why would anyone try to get anything new?

The ideal meta for me is an OP meta for like a month...then intro charcters that slowly weaken that meta for several months until new meta is introduced
  • Options
    Gryf wrote: »
    Is this the first "Please nerf Revan" thread??? 🎉🎉🎉🎉🎉 Congrats on being first!!!

It’s not, he hasn’t even been released. Think what you want, but know that you completely missed the point.
  • Slothmaster
    247 posts Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    Calbear949 wrote: »
    No...the ideal arena should not be rock scisscor or paper because why would anyone try to get anything new?

Maybe because this is a game about collecting your favorite Star Wars characters and battling with them? If you’re just in it to win it that’s cool too I guess
  • Gryf
    95 posts Member
    Options
    I forgot that I was on the forums and joking around is completely frowned upon. I apoligize
  • Options

Maybe because this is a game about collecting your favorite Star Wars characters and battling with them? If you’re just in it to win it that’s cool too I guess

That is not what this game is about...if you want to do that...go play pokemon.

Why have an arena system otherwise?
  • Options

It's not just arena, it looks like this Darth Revan team will be well nigh undefeatable for at least the first couple of months in GA and TW.
  • Options
    I agree, a Rock-Paper-Scissors system is best. Getting Metas every time means that F2P players like me can almost never get to the top. Also, a new Meta almost trashes the old Meta. Look at what happened to CLS+C3PO since JKR came out. Now, the kit for Darth Revan makes it clear that he is a counter for his light sided self. CG, please implement a Rock-Paper-Scissors system, for the sake of the players, the game and the idea of the franchise itself.
  • Options
    Isn't it a little early to declare a team that nobody has used yet undefeatable? Especially when in order to maximize synergy it has to devote at least two spots to D-List characters.
  • Slothmaster
    247 posts Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    Gryf wrote: »
    I forgot that I was on the forums and joking around is completely frowned upon. I apoligize

It’s cool, but don’t you dare let it happen again.

Are we playing the same game, dude?
    https://imgur.com/a/gJjdEO1
  • Slothmaster
    247 posts Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    Never mind, folks, pack it up. I posted something they didn’t want to hear, so they chucked it in the place all threads go to die... the Feedback
    Home. *shudders

This can’t reasonably be classified as character feedback since the focus of the thread is not on any one character, but the game as a whole.

But who cares, nobody reads this section, mods win again!

Edit: you’ll notice that positive feedback like the thread titled “Darth Revan Animations Look Awesome” gets to stay on the front page despite being explicitly about character feedback. Funny how that works.