Padmé Amidala’s Gear Requirements [MEGA]

Prev13
TyloRen
381 posts Moderator
edited May 2019
DEV POST
CG_TopHat wrote: »
With the release of Padmé Amidala’s kit yesterday, a number of players noted the stringent requirements to upgrade her gear level. After digging into those gear requirements, we realized she required more high-end gear than we intended. The following gear is in excess of her spec:
  • 100x Mk 8 BioTech Implant Component
  • 120x Mk 8 BioTech Implant Salvage
  • 50x Mk 3 Czerka Stun Cuffs Salvage
  • 50x Mk 5 A/KT Stun Gun Prototype Salvage

This was due to an error in the gear creation tool we use to design characters, which has been rectified.

First things first, we want to say thank you to the testers who jumped in to help us test Padmé over the last week. The first test was launched rapidly and the testers started looking at it with very little notice from us. Early on in the process, the play testers were focused on identifying bugs, potentially problematic synergy interactions, etc., and it wasn’t until fairly late in the process that we started looking at more subtle things like “Does this gear feel right commensurate with what you know about how Padmé will play and how she’s expected to perform.” We’ve taken a number of lessons away from this first test, including providing more time for the testers to give qualitative feedback early on in the process. Thankfully they brought this to us prior to the character launch, which has allowed us to come up with a solution that will reconcile our intentions without adding risk to today’s update. In the future, we’ll provide them more time, which will in turn allow us to rectify concerns or issues earlier.

To that end, we will not be changing any of Padmé Amidala’s gear as currently published. She’s tuned the way we’d like (using her current gear and stats), and -- given the closed beta -- we don’t want to lose the value of the work that beta group did on her balance. However, we do not want to “punish” players with what results in overly punitive gear requirements for Padmé. Additionally, changing her gear this close to release could introduce new risks into the build and the gear could potentially upset the release or break her balance.

We’ve decided that the best course of action to remedy this situation is to layer the excessive gear into the reward tiers of the Padmé event. Our thinking here is that we want to reward players who are making dedicated progress on 7-starring her with the gear intended to level her up. As such, the gear will be found in the following event tiers:
  • Tier V - 50x Mk 8 BioTech Implant Component
  • Tier V - 60x Mk 8 BioTech Implant Salvage
  • Tier VI - 50x Mk 3 Czerka Stun Cuffs Salvage
  • Tier VII - 50x Mk 5 A/KT Stun Gun Prototype Salvage
  • Tier VII - 50x Mk 8 BioTech Implant Component
  • Tier VII - 60x Mk 8 BioTech Implant Salvage

Special thanks to the players and testers who identified the inconsistency, which revealed the true nature of the issue. We apologize for any confusion this may have caused!

DEV POST

Replies

• dalosto147
    282 posts Member
    Options
    And again, worst decision ever.
    So I will get Padme at 5* and if I choose put her on G11 I will suffer much more who the "whales" to gear?
    How this is fair?
  • Klocko
    1017 posts Member
    Options
    Wow. That's actually really reasonable. Thanks!
  • Ultra
    11502 posts Moderator
    Options
    This is fantastic. Loving this news CG
  • Options
    Great solution.

One question - If it was over by a stun gun, wouldn’t there be an associated carbanti as well? Or is the assumption that the gearing might have had a carbanti in place of the stun gun, or something like that if not that exact scenario?
  • Ultra
    11502 posts Moderator
    Options
    dalosto147 wrote: »
    So I will get Padme at 5* and if I choose put her on G11 I will suffer much more who the "whales" to gear?
    How this is fair?

You get 50 stun gun, and a gold ball at T7 and she needs one gold piece needing both those pieces to go to g12 (Mk 6 Stun Gun)

They handled this situation in the best way possible imo
  • Omnitopus
    34 posts Member
    Options
    How this is fair?

You can still get the same rewards when she comes back. They did this to help alleviate our concerns. If they went back and changed her gear, they would need to completely re-tune her stats to compensate, then re-test it to ensure the outcomes are the same as the previous testing.

You just want to complain to complain, and quite frankly it just makes you look disgusting. I'm only getting her a 5* (if that) and I welcome this, as this shows that they are at least SAYING they will try to do better. This time they offered a full explanation of how they are going to improve next time, so if it continues to happen, yes be angry. Until then, please go sit in the corner, and wear this lovely dunce cap too.
  • Options
    Great solution.

One question - If it was over by a stun gun, wouldn’t there be an associated carbanti as well? Or is the assumption that the gearing might have had a carbanti in place of the stun gun, or something like that if not that exact scenario?
    That salvage is used for the G12 Stun gun which doesn't require carbantis
  • Drewbee
    50 posts Member
    Options
    So this still doesn't address the 300 pieces of whale gear required?
  • Options
    Great solution.

Got it, thank you! Honestly never realized the g12 was salvage only...learned something new today.
  • Nauros
    5429 posts Member
    Options
    Drewbee wrote: »

Yeah, the joke is getting old. Hopefully it gets added to some reasonable locations, but I am slowly coming to accept that we are going to be stuck behind an almost unpassable bottleneck forever...
  • Options
    Drewbee wrote: »

What’s there to address? Yes, there’s whale gear. It’s a new fact of life. The issue at hand was that it was supposed to alleviate some of the other gear, and that didn’t appear to be the case with this character.
  • USAFmedic129
    1538 posts Member
    Options
    While I appreciate the fix, I am not buying the testers told you folks anything. The kit was released at 11AM 4/30 on SWGOH.gg which I posted. By 2pm 4/30 outrage posts showed on these forums and pretty sure on Reddit as well. At 1 AM on 5/1 CG Erik posted Padme’s Gear was under review.

So when did the testers actually bring this to light? Before or after the kit release on SWGOH.gg? Just asking for a friend...
  • dalosto147
    282 posts Member
    Options
    Omnitopus wrote: »
    How this is fair?

You can still get the same rewards when she comes back. They did this to help alleviate our concerns. If they went back and changed her gear, they would need to completely re-tune her stats to compensate, then re-test it to ensure the outcomes are the same as the previous testing.

You just want to complain to complain, and quite frankly it just makes you look disgusting. I'm only getting her a 5* (if that) and I welcome this, as this shows that they are at least SAYING they will try to do better. This time they offered a full explanation of how they are going to improve next time, so if it continues to happen, yes be angry. Until then, please go sit in the corner, and wear this lovely dunce cap too.

Disgusting is a guy like you clap a untested char who only receive a excuse because players complain on reddit.
    There is NO ONE tester who see this coming?
    Come on, dont be naive.
    But this discussion ends here.
    You are free to buy anything you want.
  • Keydash1
    503 posts Member
    Options

Nauros wrote: »
    Yeah, the joke is getting old. Hopefully it gets added to some reasonable locations, but I am slowly coming to accept that we are going to be stuck behind an almost unpassable bottleneck forever...
    As far as I'm concerned, the new gear is crystals only. The farming locations are stupid slow and totally undermine necessary hard node farms. I'll just save up the crystals and buy in the shop. It sucks to dump 5000 crystals to get someone to G9, but that seems to be the new reality.
  • Nauros
    5429 posts Member
    Options
    Keydash1 wrote: »
    Nauros wrote: »
    As far as I'm concerned, the new gear is crystals only. The farming locations are stupid slow and totally undermine necessary hard node farms. I'll just save up the crystals and buy in the shop. It sucks to dump 5000 crystals to get someone to G9, but that seems to be the new reality.

What keeps me somewhat hopeful is the upcoming new TB, the gear could be added there as a reward and possibly released to stores at the same time as well. If the situation doesn't change, though, I'm not sure I want to play the game anymore.
  • Options
    You know what ... that works. Good to go.
  • DaBro1197
    35 posts Member
    Options
    Great solution.

Got it, thank you! Honestly never realized the g12 was salvage only...learned something new today.

So you are saying they put the wrong G12+ on this toon? Not likely they expect us to overlook the fact we still need the carbanti.
  • Monel
    2786 posts Member
    Options
    I like the solution, now just put new gear in other achievable areas.
  • Bulldog1205
    3573 posts Member
    Options
    Gear is still absolutely brutal.
  • Options
    While I appreciate the fix, I am not buying the testers told you folks anything. The kit was released at 11AM 4/30 on SWGOH.gg which I posted. By 2pm 4/30 outrage posts showed on these forums and pretty sure on Reddit as well. At 1 AM on 5/1 CG Erik posted Padme’s Gear was under review.

So when did the testers actually bring this to light? Before or after the kit release on SWGOH.gg? Just asking for a friend...

Testers told them about it in the 2pm 4/30 outrage post, u mentioned the post but failed to see the connection.
  • Options
    Now you see the issue can you go back and do something about Malaks requirements, punishing players and now you bring out a new toons to devalue that effort of gearing.
  • Options
    Toooo Many characters....Ill never catch up...But i am loving the rock paper aspect.
  • EnderStark
    8 posts Member
    edited May 2019
    Options
    While the gesture is much appreciated I still don't think you understand the amount of gear she will take to max out. I thought when you introduced the new gear you said that it would coincide with reducing the amount of other gear that is commonly used by other characters? How does requiring 3 of the new pieces but also requiring 4 stun guns, 5 eyeballs, and 5 stun cuffs align with that promise? Sure you are giving 1 stun cuff, 2 eyeballs and 50 stun gun salvage but that means we still need to come up with the 3 new pieces plus 4 cuffs, 4 carbantis and 150 stun gun salvage for the other 3 complete stun guns. Why not just give a whole stun gun instead of 50 salvage of just 50% of a gun?

I get that she is a Legendary character and should have a high gear threshold, but why not invent new gear pieces that let players utilize the gear we have literally thousands of? Why not create a piece that requires 300 of three of the least used gear from the challenges? After 4 or 5 new characters that gear will not be in massive reserves and then people have to smartly decide what to farm. You could easily create a new gear that gives the same stats as a carbantis or cuffs but uses old salvage components. Or allow players to trade old salvage for the commonly used gear, like 1000 of one salvage for 25 carbanti salvage.

Can we expect future legendary characters to also require 3 of the new pieces PLUS 4 stun guns, 5 eyeballs and 5 cuffs? If so let us know now so I can just quit. I already spend enough on this game to just get characters I have no desire to spend 30-40k crystals to just get a character to g12 let alone another $100+ to max her/him out.

That is a long way of saying the lack of creativity and transparency is depressing....if you are going to continue to lack creativity to solving issues like this at least be transparent about it and let us know what the new norm will be so players can decide now if the future of the game is something we want to be a part of.
    Post edited by EnderStark on
  • Javin37
    367 posts Member
    Options
    If she counters malak then she should have the same gear requirements.

It seems your testers want another participation trophy to go along with anakin...so hey, might as well appease the masses.

And while you're at it only require the entry level gear Anakin takes to get to g11. LOL.

Oh and if you can...please soup up teebo to do 200k crits on all galactic republic..you know...for the good of the game. You have reward the casual equal to everyone else!
  • Options
    TyloRen wrote: »
    DEV POST
    With the release of Padmé Amidala’s kit yesterday, a number of players noted the stringent requirements to upgrade her gear level. After digging into those gear requirements, we realized she required more high-end gear than we intended. The following gear is in excess of her spec:
    • 100x Mk 8 BioTech Implant Component
    • 120x Mk 8 BioTech Implant Salvage
    • 50x Mk 3 Czerka Stun Cuffs Salvage
    • 50x Mk 5 A/KT Stun Gun Prototype Salvage

This was due to an error in the gear creation tool we use to design characters, which has been rectified.

First things first, we want to say thank you to the testers who jumped in to help us test Padmé over the last week. The first test was launched rapidly and the testers started looking at it with very little notice from us. Early on in the process, the play testers were focused on identifying bugs, potentially problematic synergy interactions, etc., and it wasn’t until fairly late in the process that we started looking at more subtle things like “Does this gear feel right commensurate with what you know about how Padmé will play and how she’s expected to perform.” We’ve taken a number of lessons away from this first test, including providing more time for the testers to give qualitative feedback early on in the process. Thankfully they brought this to us prior to the character launch, which has allowed us to come up with a solution that will reconcile our intentions without adding risk to today’s update. In the future, we’ll provide them more time, which will in turn allow us to rectify concerns or issues earlier.

To that end, we will not be changing any of Padmé Amidala’s gear as currently published. She’s tuned the way we’d like (using her current gear and stats), and -- given the closed beta -- we don’t want to lose the value of the work that beta group did on her balance. However, we do not want to “punish” players with what results in overly punitive gear requirements for Padmé. Additionally, changing her gear this close to release could introduce new risks into the build and the gear could potentially upset the release or break her balance.

We’ve decided that the best course of action to remedy this situation is to layer the excessive gear into the reward tiers of the Padmé event. Our thinking here is that we want to reward players who are making dedicated progress on 7-starring her with the gear intended to level her up. As such, the gear will be found in the following event tiers:
    • Tier V - 50x Mk 8 BioTech Implant Component
    • Tier V - 60x Mk 8 BioTech Implant Salvage
    • Tier VI - 50x Mk 3 Czerka Stun Cuffs Salvage
    • Tier VII - 50x Mk 5 A/KT Stun Gun Prototype Salvage
    • Tier VII - 50x Mk 8 BioTech Implant Component
    • Tier VII - 60x Mk 8 BioTech Implant Salvage

Special thanks to the players and testers who identified the inconsistency, which revealed the true nature of the issue. We apologize for any confusion this may have caused!

DEV POST

@CG_TopHat Uhh but yet it was OK to punish players who unlocked Malak, right? Are you serious with this? We got a bunch of portraits and titles for unlocking the first ever Mythic event character and only got to unlock him at 5 star after a grueling event to boot....And we got Jack squat. And on top of that you put his gear behind a hug paywall...And people unlocking padme a legendary that requires any separatists toons get all of this gear on top of it...Seriously....
  • SNAKEMAN
    470 posts Member
    Options
    Great Response Guys! I like this approach and happy to see quick action!
    IGN: RANKMAN
    Line: xSNAKEMAN
  • CaptainRex
    2840 posts Member
    Options
    Great solution.

LOL Because everyone was so worried about the G12+ gear, not the stun gun to get her to a usable gear level. Don't get me wrong, I think the devs handled this very well, and the solution is great imo, but c'mon now.
    #CloneHelmets4Life...VICTORY!!!! :smiley: "I don't like sand. It's coarse and rough and irritating and it gets everywhere." The more you tighten your grip, CG/EA, the more whales will slip through your fingers (and go F2P or quit).
  • Options
    Special thanks to the players and testers who identified the inconsistency, which revealed the true nature of the issue.

Can you be a little more clear about the true nature of this issue, the impact it has had on the game, and what "it has been rectified" means for us? Have previous characters been shipped with more high level gear than intended? What makes Padme's gear "punitive" but not, say, Shoretrooper or Darth Revan? If the community had been more vocal about how difficult DR is to gear, would this error have been discovered sooner or is it a new error that only affected this one character? I guess I just want to know if I would've had an easier time gearing characters like DR if this had been rectified sooner.
    Also, since the error has been rectified does that mean we can expect future character releases to be less demanding gear-wise? How will future releases be affected by this fix to your gear creation tool?