Retrospect: Ships 2.0

Replies

• Options
    Ships are great....and ready for a raid
  • CosmicJ
    348 posts Member
    Options
    Ships are alright. **** narrowed the meta just like jkr like bulldog said, but 3v3 is fine. I like this reinforcement idea, was a nice change.

I agree that a raid or some other ship based game mode would probably enliven this part of the game though.
  • Scuttlebutt
    1190 posts Member
    Options
    I really enjoyed the first month of ships 2.0. I realized much later that I enjoyed it so much because CG downgraded all ship’s damage and then gave everyone the opportunity to get it back with ship omegas. For that first month, when most people didn’t have ship abilities maxed, it required tactics and planning to win. Now, it’s just max out terrible toons (bistan and srp) for best speed or RNG your way to some wins.

Hound’s tooth and Han’s falcon have made this game mode terribly stale. I think they need to work on a ships 3.0 to balance these two with others.

I think the idea of ships 2.0 makes sense (changing from ships 1.0), but the execution was poor. Ships aren’t balanced and there isn’t a rock-paper-scissors scenario if there’s also 1 fleet that’s designed to be better than the rest. Fix overpowered ships, downgrade all ships damage, and then you’ll have a better fleet evironment.

• Options
    Problem is the lack of capital ships. Imagine how stale arena would be if there were only 4 leader toons? Need way more capital ships and ships.
  • Naw
    969 posts Member
    Options
    TL;DR: I auto every single ship battle and I don’t do more than that 1 needed attack to stay within top 50.
  • AntiHeld
    237 posts Member
    edited May 2019
    Options
    Actually I was quite happy with ships 2.0. The 1.0 favored the face rolling Executirx meta too much and 95% of the battles were the same with some minor differences in the lineup.
    With 2.0 for a short time you saw more diversity in capital ships. With HT the diversity faded a bit. With HMF you have the least diversity, but at least it is fast and absolutely NOT rng dependant, if you have your stuff geared a bit. Or, before ppl start trying to explain what rng means again: Even if you have a bit of bad luck, you will normally win, if you don't experience the darkest, doomed and forsaken bad luck day of your life.

And yes - some kind of raid or other new content for ships would be nice. Not sure how a raid could look like with max 4 fleets per player, but would be nice to see something like that.
  • Options
    Hounds tooth is the real problem.

Could you imagine a nest with stacking protection turn meter gain, auto-cleanse, bear unremovable taunt etc etc. There’d be a riot.

Hound is horrific.
  • Nauros
    5429 posts Member
    Options
    Hounds tooth is the real problem.

Could you imagine a nest with stacking protection turn meter gain, auto-cleanse, bear unremovable taunt etc etc. There’d be a riot.

Hound is horrific.

Comparing HT to Nest isn't really fair, you can dispel HT's prot up. But I agree that it's too much and makes ships as a whole worse.
  • VonZant
    3843 posts Member
    Options
    The solution could be something like LS ships only work on LS caps, etc. Then you could make 2 op ships for each side and get sone diversity.

But we need more caps. That wouls be a good kick in the rear.
  • Scuttlebutt
    1190 posts Member
    edited May 2019
    Options
    Problem is the lack of capital ships. Imagine how stale arena would be if there were only 4 leader toons? Need way more capital ships and ships.

Lol Darth Revan, JKR, Traya, and ???

I don’t know what rank you compete for, but I’m in a tough shard and compete in top 200. From my rank to the top is almost entirely DR or JKR leads. I get your point that there’s options for other leaders, but to be realistic, there’s not good options for other leaders.

Edit: Add Padme and maybe even take off Traya. Padme is new so I forgot her.
  • Jarvind
    3926 posts Member
    Options
    I didn't get to play much of 5v5 ships. I stopped playing before ships were released, and picked the game back up shortly before the switch to 3v3. I will say that from what I remember, 5v5 ships felt extremely chaotic and it didn't really feel like I could employ any strategy other than "kill things fast," but I also was playing it with very low level ships.

I'll certainly agree that Hound's Tooth and Han's Falcon have caused some stagnation. HT made the entire mode about finding ways to kill HT, and the Falcon has added a huge element of RNG where you can just luck into a win by having the Falcon cause a ludicrous assist chain that instakills a target.
    u58t4vkrvnrz.png

• Options
    Jarvind wrote: »
    I didn't get to play much of 5v5 ships. I stopped playing before ships were released, and picked the game back up shortly before the switch to 3v3. I will say that from what I remember, 5v5 ships felt extremely chaotic and it didn't really feel like I could employ any strategy other than "kill things fast," but I also was playing it with very low level ships.

I'll certainly agree that Hound's Tooth and Han's Falcon have caused some stagnation. HT made the entire mode about finding ways to kill HT, and the Falcon has added a huge element of RNG where you can just luck into a win by having the Falcon cause a ludicrous assist chain that instakills a target.

Yep. And I think that’s the devs goal. They will just release another ship that counters the falcon. Which is fine and how metas are produced. But I think we cling to a hope that ship arena can be/should be better than toon arena. Obviously the devs aren’t aligned to our thinking. Hopefully Carrie meant ship arena with more diversity too.
  • Rath_Tarr
    4944 posts Member
    Options
    Not hard to imagine it with only 2 viable leaders...
    2ufk9i.jpg
  • RevanRevanMalak
    41 posts Member
    edited May 2019
    Options
    ships gets more boring the longer you play it.
    very one-sided and undynamic.
  • Options
    I think we need some more Capital Ships. We need an OR ship or maybe a GR ship headed by Grievous. And then a corresponding Light Side ship. And they need Luke's X-wing and Dengar's Toilet Seat. Basically, they just need to keep adding to keep it fresh.
  • Options
    Always been a fan of ships, especially when I saw how much easier ships were vs squad arenas. Been top 10 in fleet forever, I disliked 2.0 at first but have gotten used to it. I will echo the sentiments expressed about RNG, its truly a coin toss sometimes, I won against this guy yesterday, losing now, nothing changed except RNGesus hates me today.
    Cap ships please, so that we CAN have more content and use more than 4 fleets in said content.
    Make Bronzium autoplay opening an option.
  • Options
    3v3 is the worst thing they could’ve done for ships. Literally went from 2min matches to literally 4 min per match. It’s as stale as it’s ever been. And the devs seem to not want to touch this thing with a ten foot pole or increase viability or versatility with any ships that aren’t rebel or shipments restricted.
  • Ultra
    11504 posts Moderator
    Options
    I think it would be very interesting if they dropped 2 capital ships simultaneously rather than one, both equally good and good enough to stand up against the meta.

Leveling up capital ship abilities can take months, so it would be nice for players to choose one of the two (from looking at the kits) and then battle it out until they can acquire the other
  • MastersRising
    347 posts Member
    edited May 2019
    Options
    I was committed to ships from the jump. I was just finishing my empire based team. Ships 2.0 was like pulling the rug out from under me. Stabbed in the back so to speak. It was a reshuffling and probably profitable. I liked th old ships better also.
  • Tarah
    202 posts Member
    Options
    I like the 3v3, but yes, It's time for 1 or 2 new Capital (sith, GG, resist, FO, OR) and 1 more ship team in Ga
  • Options
    I enjoy more the 3v3 than the previous 5v5, but gotta to agree that it killed the support ships
  • SemiGod
    3001 posts Member
    Options
    Devian wrote: »
    I said it before, I'll say it again:
    Real trouble is durable meta.
    It matters not if it's 5v5, 3v3, 4v4, 6v6.
    As long at there are meta units which purpose is to withstand any damage - there won't be any fun.
    Right now there's no difference between 3v3 and 5v5. (Though the more units there are on board - the more versatile battle is)
    I think devs made 3v3 simply to ease their own life with testing.
    P.S Mace's ship rework was horrible

WE WANT YODAS ESCAPE POD IN THE GAME!
  • Options
    Yes, yes we do.
    Make Bronzium autoplay opening an option.
  • Dk_rek
    3299 posts Member
    edited May 2019
    Options
    Reddit showed meh quarter for them as game perceived to get worse and worse.... hopefully we get some ship content to mess with for a year before EA pulls the plug
  • Captain_Apollo
    423 posts Member
    edited May 2019
    Options
    i think reinforcements was the right way to go instead of mods. I do think they made a mistake with falcon's rng assist, I've had days where nothing could stop me and other days where I'm lucky to win 2 out of 5 just because of that rng assist.

I'm not a fan of the 3v3 format because it largely renders reinforcements for the underdog moot. Like i could come back from a 5v4 with the right tactics. 3v2 though is really hard to come back from, especially in the current meta where the falcon basically ensures you other remaining ship gets focused hard to make it a 3v1.

I also don't feel some ships have kits that fit in a 3v3 format. Almost all support ships since the kit almost relies on 3-4 other ships being in play. Likewise some kits like Vader that were/are devistating when you get 3-4 other target lock applying/benediting ships but doesn't bring much to a 3v3.

Ultimates also felt more ultimate in 5v5 and could swing a match in your favor. Now if you get to it at all it's just a "eh i already won but i guess i should use it" or "too little too late to give me a chance at a win."
  • AntiHeld
    237 posts Member
    Options
    From my perspective (played H1 since 5vs.5 and normally ranked top 5) the Problem with the never-to-be-seen Ultimate ist more a meta problem. The fights with HMF got quite fast. Before HMF dropped I did see the Ultimates more often. And actually it was a race against time, because the Executrix Ultimate (witch was the capitlal I fought 95% of the times) actually did end the match most of the time. So from the perspective of a former non meta player they are ultimate enough. But yes, i can imagine, that an Executrix player didn't see the ultimate quite often, since the inherent damage boost made fights quite fast and easy I guess.
  • Options
    I love ships. Partial to the Ebon Hawk for some reason. I just can’t put my finger on why....