As a player of almost 4 years, Dralak is the biggest mistake of this game’s history

Prev13
Check_It
376 posts Member
edited May 2019
I genuinely want this to be a constructive feedback post so CG may actually pay attention, so let’s try to keep it civil.

So first off, this isn’t some “woe is me I don’t have Dralak” post. I do have him.

I want to outline just what this team can do, in a simple, tldr fashion:

- 3/5 toons force your team to miss a turn in a turn based game, which can’t be evaded or resisted
- within 3 moves they have over +150 speed, which can’t be prevented
- Hk can hit for 200k+, which can’t be evaded
- Malaks entire kit and existence, which can’t be prevented or resisted
- public, direct, blatant nerfs to any theorycrafting or creative thought process to counter this team

Now, for a little more in depth explanation:

- 3/5 toons in a dralak lineup can inflict FEAR. 2/3 which can’t be evaded or resisted. In a TURN BASED game, you think it’s fair to have 3/5 toons inflict mass amounts of a debuff that makes it so toons can’t take a turn? This is THEE MOST overpowered debuff in the entire game. And it can’t be evaded or resisted, and can be inflicted on the entire team.
- Couple that with ferocity and Drevans leadership, which, for each debuff on themself, a unit gains 15 speed. Now not only does dralak stop your team from ever going, they also have double to triple the speed of your team. Now originally I thought +5 speed for each Jedi or OR was quite generous for Revan but you took it to insane ratios. Within 3 moves, the entire dralak team can have over +150 speed, making the majority of them in the 400-500 speed range. That seems fair to you?
- HK-47. I find it rather ironic that Anakin, the chosen one of the force, a Jedi general known for his strength, receives a nerf to his strength but some assassin droid can hit for over 220k. Which can’t be evaded. A little hypocritical.
- Malak. The most broken of them all. You think it’s fair that a toon, on top of all the taunting for any given scenario, and inflicting fear on basically everyone with a brain the entire match can then also take 3 bonus turns each of which can be followed by draining 100% of a persons max health which again can’t be evaded or resisted and ends up with 105% crit avoidance, health, tenacity and defense?

This entire team is the worst thing to ever come to Galaxy of Heroes. The fact it exists, and your response to players coming up with creative teams to beat it, has been extremely alarming. You have absolutely killed the spirit of this game and thrown it to a credit card vs credit card game on a never before seen, unprecedented level. And are no longer even trying to hide it.

Now, what I would propose:

DRevan:
- inflict fear on target enemy and leader. Target enemy can resist or evade, leader cannot. If the target is enemy leader, they cannot evade or resist and inflict fear on another random enemy which can’t be evaded or resisted
- Leadership speed buff dropped from 15 speed per debuff to 1-3 speed per debuff (open to debate on specific). 15 is BEYOND absurd. Increase defense penalty to -20%. Let’s be honest, defense doesn’t do anything in this game anyway, so the number needs to be a lot higher to notice its change.
- Health equalizing mechanic should be limited

Malak:
Inflict fear the FIRST time an enemy critically hits or dots Malak, which can’t be evaded or resisted. Thereafter it can be evaded or resisted. Or remove it all together. Deal damage equal to 75% max health. 100% is ridiculous, not does it follow the actual ability in Kotor wherein it only heals for about 30% of your characters health

BSF:
- Inflict fear on target enemy with a 50% chance (open to debate) to inflict fear on another random enemy. Which can be evaded or resisted.
- CBM cannot prevent “unique” debuffs. Aka isolate, fracture. Preventing those special debuffs makes no sense.

Some people are drastically missing the point of my post. Dralak in their current state is a whole nother level of crazy. Fear, albeit annoying, is a different mechanic and has added another level of strategy. Revans leadership adds another level of strategy. Malak adds another level. But they’ve been taken far too extreme. Keep the concept of fear, high offense, speed and low defense, but tone it back just a little. That’s all I’m saying.
Post edited by Check_It on

Replies

• thedrjojo
    954 posts Member
    Options
    Check_It wrote: »
    I genuinely want this to be a constructive feedback post so CG may actually pay attention, so let’s try to keep it civil.

So first off, this isn’t some “woe is me I don’t have Dralak” post. I do have him.

I want to outline just what this team can do, in a simple, tldr fashion:

- 3/5 toons force your team to miss a turn in a turn based game, which can’t be evaded or resisted
    - within 3 moves they have over +150 speed, which can’t be prevented
    - Hk can hit for 200k+, which can’t be evaded
    - Malaks entire kit and existence, which can’t be prevented or resisted
    - public, direct, blatant nerfs to any theorycrafting or creative thought process to counter this team

Now, for a little more in depth explanation:

- 3/5 toons in a dralak lineup can inflict FEAR. 2/3 which can’t be evaded or resisted. In a TURN BASED game, you think it’s fair to have 3/5 toons inflict mass amounts of a debuff that makes it so toons can’t take a turn? This is THEE MOST overpowered debuff in the entire game. And it can’t be evaded or resisted, and can be inflicted on the entire team.
    - Couple that with ferocity and Drevans leadership, which, for each debuff on themself, a unit gains 15 speed. Now not only does dralak stop your team from ever going, they also have double to triple the speed of your team. Now originally I thought +5 speed for each Jedi or OR was quite generous for Revan but you took it to insane ratios. Within 3 moves, the entire dralak team can have over +150 speed, making the majority of them in the 400-500 speed range. That seems fair to you?
    - HK-47. I find it rather ironic that Anakin, the chosen one of the force, a Jedi general known for his strength, receives a nerf to his strength but some assassin droid can hit for over 220k. Which can’t be evaded. A little hypocritical.
    - Malak. The most broken of them all. You think it’s fair that a toon, on top of all the taunting for any given scenario, and inflicting fear on basically everyone with a brain the entire match can then also take 3 bonus turns each of which can be followed by draining 100% of a persons max health which again can’t be evaded or resisted and ends up with 105% crit avoidance, health, tenacity and defense?

This entire team is the worst thing to ever come to Galaxy of Heroes. The fact it exists, and your response to players coming up with creative teams to beat it, has been extremely alarming. You have absolutely killed the spirit of this game and thrown it to a credit card vs credit card game on a never before seen, unprecedented level. And are no longer even trying to hide it.

Anyone who didn't get them first time around that isn't pouring all effort and resources to get them next time around is a fool. I wasn't ready first time, but I now have close to 17500 power on all but t3 and Juhani, and started my hoarding gear and zetas to get Dr to 17500 power on unlock. I'll worry about Malak and his stuff in due time (wanted to hoard GEC but decided to get them to 17500 was more important than having gec for Malak shards I couldn't buy if I don't unlock him)
  • Check_It
    376 posts Member
    Options
    Yeah they would be a fool, but that’s kind of the point. The team is ridiculous and shouldn’t exist in the first place. At least not as is.
  • TVF
    36610 posts Member
    Options
    I'm having more fun now then when I was getting knocked outside the top 100 for running CLS. Shrug.
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • Options
    I will get DR next go around but I’m not even caring about malak. By the time he comes around and then I make that gear investment, the next rey or whatever will have come. I’m not rushing to get malak as by the time I do, something else will be more of a priority.
  • Scuttlebutt
    1190 posts Member
    Options
    I will get DR next go around but I’m not even caring about malak. By the time he comes around and then I make that gear investment, the next rey or whatever will have come. I’m not rushing to get malak as by the time I do, something else will be more of a priority.

Not sure how this thread got so quickly turned into one about being a fool for not trying to get DR and Malak the second time they come around...

I agree with the OP on everything except the premise that this bad state started with DR and Malak. I’ve been playing since the release of Phoenix. I remember when CLS was released and created the “haves and have nots.” I couldn’t complete GW when he was in there, my guild didn’t have him and couldn’t win TW shortly after it released, and I obviously couldn’t advance in arena. To me, the game went from fun to almost unplayable in 1 month. Darth Revan and Malak seems like a natural progression of power creep that has happened over many toon releases.

This will probably continue to happen until it collapses in on itself. This is like building a tower straight up without enhancing the base as you go. Eventually, it will buckle under its own weight.
  • Huatimus
    3669 posts Member
    Options
    882 pure F2P unlocked Malak.
    Even more unlocked Malak without spending a dime despite spending in the past.
    And even more unlocked Darth Revan without spending a dime.

So no, it doesn't have to be credit card vs credit card wars. It is still a resource management game at its core, or rather a resource hoarding game.
  • TVF
    36610 posts Member
    Options
    Oh @Huatimus you don't know anything about hoarding ;)
  • Huatimus
    3669 posts Member
    Options
    Yes, we should listen to the Master of Hoarding, Edward ;)
  • Options
    While I agree they started this trend with CLS, the scale changed with DR and Malak. Until now, EVERY meta has had a viable f2p counter meta. And that kept things competitive and fun. Skill was rewarded as well as amount spent. It was a beautiful thing for all types of players.

This time, they not only created toons designed specifically to prevent counter metas, they also blatantly nerfed or upgraded the team to prevent counters the community discovered.

I have DR and Malak as well, and I’m extremely disappointed. They’ve killed the competitive spirit and diversity of the game by doing this.
  • NasRegal
    142 posts Member
    Options
    Really? Interesting because in my opinion it is the JKR team that did this. Just my opinion however.

I actually blame Traya.
    Her kit was quite an upgrade on everyone else, so that prompted the JRev kit, which was made worse by Jolee, and now we snowball onwards...
    Oh, I actually like Traya, worthy of a raid boss reward, not like Revan, chump with a mask.
  • Liath
    5140 posts Member
    Options
    NasRegal wrote: »
    Really? Interesting because in my opinion it is the JKR team that did this. Just my opinion however.

I actually blame Traya.
    Her kit was quite an upgrade on everyone else, so that prompted the JRev kit, which was made worse by Jolee, and now we snowball onwards...
    Oh, I actually like Traya, worthy of a raid boss reward, not like Revan, chump with a mask.

I can see why some would feel that way. The problem with this comparison however is you don't and won't see any DR or Traya sith team pushing 14m+ in hstr and soloing HAAT.

Is JKR soloing HAAT? I wasn’t aware of that. JTRey is doing those things you mentioned, so does that make her the real problem?
  • Huatimus
    3669 posts Member
    Options
    JKR can solo HAAT but you need pretty good mods, and it is also not on Auto so...
  • Options
    In before they bury this in feedback lol
  • TVF
    36610 posts Member
    Options
    In before they bury this in feedback lol

Nothing gets buried if you know how the forum works.

https://forums.galaxy-of-heroes.starwars.ea.com/discussions
  • Options

This will probably continue to happen until it collapses in on itself. This is like building a tower straight up without enhancing the base as you go. Eventually, it will buckle under its own weight.

Very good comparison. And this is exactly what will be happening soon if they don't recognize the main issues.

It'll happen either way. It's the nature of these sorts of games. (Yes, there are exceptions, I know)
    In order to keep the people who pay money happy, they have to have something even more shiny to aim for.
    Nobody wants to pay for a toon that can't beat the current META.

This game seems to have reached it's "half-life".
    Where it no longer attracts enough new players to keep the underlying economy going system-wide.
    So it begins to more actively cultivate the whales.
    This eventually leads to plankton die-off, which will eventually kill the whales as well... but it'll take time.
    All the more so because as a Star Wars property, people are more willing to pay a premium than they may otherwise be.

This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken..” -Thomas Covenant the Unbeliever
  • Liath
    5140 posts Member
    Options
    Liath wrote: »

I actually blame Traya.

I can see why some would feel that way. The problem with this comparison however is you don't and won't see any DR or Traya sith team pushing 14m+ in hstr and soloing HAAT.

Is JKR soloing HAAT? I wasn’t aware of that. JTRey is doing those things you mentioned, so does that make her the real problem?

How many JTR's have you seen within the past year up in top 20?

A couple with C3PO. So your problem with JKR is that he’s good at all game modes and not just one or two of them?
  • Options
    I am curious as to how Old Republic got the green light from LucasFilm and Disney to basically kick the teeth in of established Star Wars iconic legends like Luke, Palpatine, Kenobi, Anakin etc. And most of all kill their new Flagship characters from Episode 7 & 8 outright and within seconds of the fight starting.

Seems counter intuitive to marketing to label video game characters Uber powerful against the New Star Wars movie to the emerging Chinese market. They have no idea who Revan / Old Republic are or the original and prequel characters are. Those movies and video games were all banned under Mao. They are seeing Star Wars for the first time through the JJ versions. It’s also counter to Disney’s marketing strategy with that market.

Not sure what the total global response to Old Republic has been, since this forum is a small sample size, but seems evenly split hate/love. But EA/CGs Revanue from another thread seems to support the love or is it just people saw new and shiny and meta regardless of the character?
  • JacenRoe
    3016 posts Member
    Options
    The devs said they wanted more of a rock/paper/scissors situation in arena. We had JKR who was 90% of top teams. Then they replaced him with DRevan/Malak which is 84% of top teams. So... improvement?!?

For a few brief moments we had a 60/30/everything else kind of split. That was WAY too close to what they said they wanted. They had to kill that as quickly as possible. Can't risk being honest.
  • Scuttlebutt
    1190 posts Member
    Options

Very good comparison. And this is exactly what will be happening soon if they don't recognize the main issues.
    In order to keep the people who pay money happy, they have to have something even more shiny to aim for.
    Nobody wants to pay for a toon that can't beat the current META.

For me, the prices in this game are simply too steep. I wouldn’t mind paying some money (I did when I first started), but the thought of $300-$500 for 1 character is insane. One of the better deals I see is the $10 pack for new marquee characters, but 30 shards and gear to get them to g7 is nothing in this game. I get almost the same value when I donate $10 to United Way.

To prevent whales eating all the plankton, I don’t understand why we can’t have more useful, balanced characters along with cheaper prices. $10 should get you one 7* character. It would certainly make modes like TW and GA more compelling to a wider base and probably create more smaller purchases from a larger group of people.
  • Scuttlebutt
    1190 posts Member
    Options
    I am curious as to how Old Republic got the green light from LucasFilm and Disney to basically kick the teeth in of established Star Wars iconic legends like Luke, Palpatine, Kenobi, Anakin etc. And most of all kill their new Flagship characters from Episode 7 & 8 outright and within seconds of the fight starting.

Seems counter intuitive to marketing to label video game characters Uber powerful against the New Star Wars movie to the emerging Chinese market. They have no idea who Revan / Old Republic are or the original and prequel characters are. Those movies and video games were all banned under Mao. They are seeing Star Wars for the first time through the JJ versions. It’s also counter to Disney’s marketing strategy with that market.

Not sure what the total global response to Old Republic has been, since this forum is a small sample size, but seems evenly split hate/love. But EA/CGs Revanue from another thread seems to support the love or is it just people saw new and shiny and meta regardless of the character?

It will change later this year. It’s on a 6ish month cycle. Probably as we get close to the next movie, we’ll see new legends and heroes related to that movie. Their abilities will be “if the enemy is labeled as Old Republic or Sith Empire, you win the match.”
  • Options
    In an evolving ecosystem where the code is refined and the play is supposed to evolve to be better, power creep is expected. I also respect the “protection” of the effort put into acquire the toons. The rng and insanity of the latest events almost makes you require it. But what happened to protecting the work put in on Traya and these other “difficult” to acquire toons? Or respecting the community’s ability to think out solutions to these super niche teams? As much as I love KOTOR, it’s wrecked the trajectory of our game.... I hope some dev somewhere is listening to this OG player....
  • Dk_rek
    3299 posts Member
    edited May 2019
    Options
    Huatimus wrote: »
    882 pure F2P unlocked Malak.
    Even more unlocked Malak without spending a dime despite spending in the past.
    And even more unlocked Darth Revan without spending a dime.

So no, it doesn't have to be credit card vs credit card wars. It is still a resource management game at its core, or rather a resource hoarding game.

LOL wish you people would start saying 882 of 2,000,000 or 4,000,000 or 1,000,000 or whatever

Everyone like WOW 882 when in fact that's such a small pathetic percentage of the game it's laughable...

That said I Don't care about this converstation only the 882 nonsense

Malak sucks DR sucks they are horrible for the game...disgusting for the game same with JKR...

but it's not gonna change....we need to start accepting the stupid decisions being made because they not going anywhere
  • Liath
    5140 posts Member
    Options

I actually blame Traya.

How many JTR's have you seen within the past year up in top 20?

A couple with C3PO. So your problem with JKR is that he’s good at all game modes and not just one or two of them?

My problem with jkr is he's one of those teams that after one uses it why switch to any other team when it's obviously still the best team in the game and most used. I understand power creep and how it is involved but the fact is they went WAAAAY overboard with his kit and now CG is back peddling ways of getting around it. But I don't think this was intentional at all. I think CG testers are just terrible and they didn't see the synergy that would soon take place with gmy/Jolee/GK/Bastila. A well modded jkr team can still beat any team currently in this game and I hate to say it but this will continue to be the case in the future. The farther down JKR's sink in arena, the more older teams are rendered 100% useless and that's a problem.

See I think the problem is not that the testers are horrible, it’s that people demanded this level of power to justify the unprecedented difficulty of unlocking the character the first time around. I believe they actually delayed the kit reveal because GCs or whoever it was were not satisfied with JKR’s dominance initially. People catch on to how these characters are obtained and start preparing, so the devs keep raising the bar on what’s required to get them in order to keep making money, but the people spending that money expect a commensurate increase in the power of the character to allow them to dominate those who don’t get it. I think this cycle really started with CLS (who was both king of arena and the first character capable of soloing a raid all by himself, plus great everywhere else as well), and is extraordinarily difficult to back off from without making people feel like they are wasting their money/resources getting the new shiny thing.