Feats contradict the purpose of Grand Arena

Prev1
Ultra
11510 posts Moderator
Grand Arena was suppose to be a battle to determine who was the best player in the entire Galaxy of Heroes, and we were told it was going to be purely competitive with no bonuses or interference, which is why TW had Vanilla and special bonuses

With Feats, you are micromanaging our gameplay and forcing us to farm squads / toons for better rewards

Rather than use our entire roster against another, you are forcing us to use certain toons (separatists or Galactic Republic). What if I want to use my best GR on defense?

It also opens up predatory quests like "Use Darth Revan" or other exclusive toons on defense / offense which is very unfair for a game mode aimed to pit all players at an equal footing to determine the best of the best

It would be nice if Feats were optional for titles or portraits, but instead it seems necessary to obtain new currency or advance leagues

On paper it sounds awful, and I don't see it doing better in execution. I hope to be wrong about it though

Replies

• Options
    Nothing at all wrong with your opinion, but I disagree. I think they sound like fun.
  • sying
    982 posts Member
    Options
    Didn’t the quests already do that to an extent?

They’ve been micromanaging our gameplay for a while. God forbid we find a combination not intended to be good.

Finally, if you’re using your whole roster instead of playing for efficiency then you’re doing it wrong anyway.
  • Ultra
    11510 posts Moderator
    Options
    Nothing at all wrong with your opinion, but I disagree. I think they sound like fun.
    They are definitely fun but it seems like they are important to complete to promote in leagues and because of the new currency rather than optional.

Using Endurance on offense would mean that you might potentially be unable to defeat an opponent's **** defense because you went for a feat achievement leading you to a loss in an otherwise GA match you were shoed in for victory
  • Monel
    2786 posts Member
    Options
    Is it weird that I agree and disagree at the same time.

I agree that what we were told and what we are being given is two different things. I was under the belief that the winner would be the one with best roster/staregy. Giving bonus stats through feats doesnt necessarily make this true anymore.

That being said most ultra competitive people will also be the ones that are trying to complete the feats. So most likely they will still end up being the winner anyway.

That being said, I am happy for me cause I dont give a rotten potato about grand arena and now grand arena arena so I am happy for the opportunity and extra coinage.
  • Options
    Yep, don't like this at all. Some of the Feats are for Squad and Fleet Arena....why are they counting points towards the Championship Score for things that aren't even part of GA?
  • 3pourr2
    1927 posts Member
    Options
    i see boosting in the future. Chats created and teams placed for purpose of collecting feats rewards.
  • Options
    Ultra wrote: »
    They are definitely fun but it seems like they are important to complete to promote in leagues and because of the new currency rather than optional.

Using Endurance on offense would mean that you might potentially be unable to defeat an opponent's **** defense because you went for a feat achievement leading you to a loss in an otherwise GA match you were shoed in for victory

I don’t get the impression they are important to complete. It says they make up a small percentage of the score. Small is a subjective term, so we will have to wait and see how essential they are.

As for your example, I just think it’s a good thing the game is encouraging me to use something I normally wouldn’t, and rewarding people who can do so.

Again, I think your opinion is completely justified, and I’m not trying to say you are wrong or convince you otherwise. Just sharing a different opinion.
  • Options
    Yep, don't like this at all. Some of the Feats are for Squad and Fleet Arena....why are they counting points towards the Championship Score for things that aren't even part of GA?

Yes - exactly this. I don't mind the idea of feats, they don't appear to interfere with the win/loss of individual battles, only the league progression.
    But why on earth are non-GA activities included?
  • Options
    3pourr2 wrote: »
    i see boosting in the future. Chats created and teams placed for purpose of collecting feats rewards.

I agree this will be a huge problem.
  • Options
    Expectations...were too high?

Sorry, I had to say it.
  • Options

I didn’t even notice this. That seems wrong. I love the concept, and have been suggesting similar things for arena and fleet arena forever, although on a more massive scale. But why would it help you directly in GA?
  • Options
    Feats should be either GA or pve related.
  • Ultra
    11510 posts Moderator
    Options

Hmmm... I would have a hard time trusting my opponent tbh

I know one of my guild mates lied about his defenses in preview phase just to beat his opponent in the final round.
  • Options
    “Defeat an enemy in fleet arena using endurance”. Good luck. You’re gonna need it.
  • Calagon
    80 posts Member
    Options
    As bad as it is, this is just sort of the nature of the game now. They've snagged enough players and are making enough money to the point where corporate's no longer concerned with getting people interested, but are first and foremost concerned with how they can micromanage the product (as a service) and keep people spending. Disgusting what a fun game can become in the hands of the wrong people.
  • Bulldog1205
    3573 posts Member
    Options

I know one of my guild mates lied about his defenses in preview phase just to beat his opponent in the final round.

Some things you will need to trust them. But that’s what those servers are for. You lie you get banned from the server and you only get to screw someone once. But things like win a match with Endurance? Both people to agree to put a bad team on defense. If they don’t, I’ll still stomp it with my Falcon, so oh well.
  • Ultra
    11510 posts Moderator
    Options

Some things you will need to trust them. But that’s what those servers are for. You lie you get banned from the server and you only get to screw someone once. But things like win a match with Endurance? Both people to agree to put a bad team on defense. If they don’t, I’ll still stomp it with my Falcon, so oh well.
    Oh yeah, for stuff outside GA like Squad or Fleet arena, this is defo open to chats working together
  • Vos_Landeck
    1666 posts Member
    Options
    Oh yeah, for stuff outside GA like Squad or Fleet arena, this is defo open to chats working together

Yep, this part of it will definitely be ripe for collusion.
  • Options

Yep, this part of it will definitely be ripe for collusion.

If you can convince them to let you in
  • Options
    us39gij46h74.jpeg

The way I see it the one circled in red promotes you to the next league.

The one circled in blue is the currency for GAC store.

While do think these are fun and different I kind of wanted to see who was the best in swgoh.

They did mention they want to see how we interact with it so we ll wait see and try it.

A lot of info today which I’m thankful for. Means it’s coming soon. Still a lot of questions though.

I’ll hold off on judgement till I play. If it’s truly inconsequential to advancing maybe nbd at all.

Mace and endurance rework confirmed.

Also what does g13 do to ships?
  • Options
    The feats are always changing. As a player if you dont have those toons because you arent developed yet then you wouldnt place them on defense. Feats are there for the really end game players that want to test themselves. If you lack.depth then you must make the best strategy possible to win. If you are interested in winning. Some players just want to have fun and test stuff out.
  • VonZant
    3843 posts Member
    Options
    To me it sounds like small help and incentive for people that dont make it into the highest league.

If you are at the top ignore them and do what it takes to win.

If you are not keep fighting and try to complete some for fun and profit.

Truth is a large percentage of people will just flat quit after a loss or two or never even attack once because people are, generally, lame. This will keep some percentage of those active and interested.

I like it, and honestly think it will be needed. Otherwise lots of people Will just mail it in for rewards and ruin it for the rest.
  • HK22
    645 posts Member
    Options
    VonZant wrote: »
    To me it sounds like small help and incentive for people that dont make it into the highest league.

If you are at the top ignore them and do what it takes to win.

If you are not keep fighting and try to complete some for fun and profit.

Truth is a large percentage of people will just flat quit after a loss or two or never even attack once because people are, generally, lame. This will keep some percentage of those active and interested.

I like it, and honestly think it will be needed. Otherwise lots of people Will just mail it in for rewards and ruin it for the rest.

I agree with your perspective Von Zant. I initially was okay with GA, but became ambivalent about it due to constantly being out-modded or the opponent having Darth Revan/Malak/Traya and I did not. While I always attacked and set proper defense, I grew to not care and stopped using the swgoh bot on discord to compare stats. I know that I am not alone in this feeling.

I see feats as away to keep players engaged with GAC and still being able to progress once they hit a wall. I am a collector type player and will soon cross the 4 mil mark. I am going to reach a point where regardless of how skilled I am as a player where I am going to be beaten by better mods/gearing and key characters I don't have. Feats give me an opportunity to continue growing and gearing my squad while possibly advancing up the hierarchy. It won't make me competitive against players that have better skills or teams, but it will keep me engaged unlike normal GA.
  • Angelloyd
    365 posts Member
    Options
    Considering they are giving us double drops to prepare for GA, and that ends on the 19th....I am not that convinced it will come shortly. I wanted to...at least the exhibition part
  • Vos_Landeck
    1666 posts Member
    Options
    HK22 wrote: »

I agree with your perspective Von Zant. I initially was okay with GA, but became ambivalent about it due to constantly being out-modded or the opponent having Darth Revan/Malak/Traya and I did not. While I always attacked and set proper defense, I grew to not care and stopped using the swgoh bot on discord to compare stats. I know that I am not alone in this feeling.

I see feats as away to keep players engaged with GAC and still being able to progress once they hit a wall. I am a collector type player and will soon cross the 4 mil mark. I am going to reach a point where regardless of how skilled I am as a player where I am going to be beaten by better mods/gearing and key characters I don't have. Feats give me an opportunity to continue growing and gearing my squad while possibly advancing up the hierarchy. It won't make me competitive against players that have better skills or teams, but it will keep me engaged unlike normal GA.

If the feats help you progress into a league that you wouldn't have otherwise gotten into based on your GA performance, then you're just going to get your clock cleaned by those people and be right back to your state of ambivalence at being outgunned in your match-ups.
  • BobcatSkywalker
    2194 posts Member
    edited June 2019
    Options
    Feats appear to open up GAC to being exploited by players outside of that GAC.

GA rounds should be only between the 8 accounts matched together in that weeks GA. If players get bonus points for winning with GR/separatists in Arena people will set weak defenses in squad or fleet arenas on purpose then kill each others teams racking up points. the players colluding in squad/fleet for free GAC points have no reason not to collude and help each other because they will be in different GA brackets.

Plus this alternative path to league up without winning in GA devalues the achievements of players who actually win GA and move up.

Very very bad news.
    GAC is definitely not really a who's got the best roster.

Maybe it can be a who's got the most friends willing to set teams that endurance beats? That sounds promising
    Post edited by BobcatSkywalker on
  • Iy4oy4s
    2937 posts Member
    Options
    Grand Arena was suppose to be a battle to determine who was the best player in the entire Galaxy of Heroes, and we were told it was going to be purely competitive with no bonuses or interference, which is why TW had Vanilla and special bonuses

With Feats, you are micromanaging our gameplay and forcing us to farm squads / toons for better rewards

Rather than use our entire roster against another, you are forcing us to use certain toons (separatists or Galactic Republic). What if I want to use my best GR on defense?

It also opens up predatory quests like "Use Darth Revan" or other exclusive toons on defense / offense which is very unfair for a game mode aimed to pit all players at an equal footing to determine the best of the best

It would be nice if Feats were optional for titles or portraits, but instead it seems necessary to obtain new currency or advance leagues

On paper it sounds awful, and I don't see it doing better in execution. I hope to be wrong about it though

Fair points and I agreed with you until I reread this:

Why feats? Well, Grand Arena Championships are five-week long events, and we know that you don’t always best your opponent. Feats were added as an opportunity for you to continue to work on your Championship Score and be able to keep working your way up the Leagues, or to a higher Leaderboard position, regardless of your Grand Arena win-loss record or banner count.

I know being a long time player that jacked up my GP to help my guild, I’ve been put against opponents that are much more focused at my GP, so when I can’t win, at least I can make some progress.
  • Options
    Sith_Lord wrote: »
    Yes - exactly this. I don't mind the idea of feats, they don't appear to interfere with the win/loss of individual battles, only the league progression.

this is my huge concern and i think the main point of contention, as long as they don't effect our wins, i think most will be OK with them. hopefully they are only a very small portion of leauge progression, but still it might be frustrating if they keep asking things you can't do

• HK22
    645 posts Member
    Options
    If the feats help you progress into a league that you wouldn't have otherwise gotten into based on your GA performance, then you're just going to get your clock cleaned by those people and be right back to your state of ambivalence at being outgunned in your match-ups.

I believe your point could very well be true regarding league up, but I do not believe it is a definite. For example, a player that does very well in two matches, but gets curbstopped in a third match might just be a few points shy of a league promotion. That player completes some feats and leagues up. Potentially, they could face off against other players that used a similar method to rank up and face equal opponents, but at the same time they are just as likely to face players that curb stomp them as you mentioned. There are just too many variables to predict how it will go, especially since they will be using a new matchmaking scheme.

Regarding personal ambivalence, I think feats will alleviate part of that issue. If I face a guy I can't beat, I might be able to fulfill feats such as killing a team with full GR and still get rewards coming in. The Prestigious Quests that were released alongside GA were quite enjoyable and I see feats as an extension of that.

Honestly, I understand Ultra's point and for players like him that wanted a pure GAC to see who was the most skilled player in the game his argument makes sense. I see feats as an attempt to get players that loathe GA to spend more time in that game mode. While money is often the most talked about metric, time spent game is also an important metric for CG and if a significant amount of players are not touching their new game mode then it could be perceived as an issue. By providing rewards for different activities, those players might be enticed to see if they can rank up for better rewards in the end, especially with the G12 finisher in the mix. The more people that spend time in the mode/game provides CG with the opportunity to show EA that it is a success. I could be wrong about this rationale, but it does make sense.
This discussion has been closed.