Game Changer Program

Replies

• Legend91
    2441 posts Member
    edited June 2019
    Options
    VonZant wrote: »
    The GG release is the most recent example but its not the only one. (Which by the way the knee-**** reaction by the forums of oh my god he sucks by 99% of people was wrong anyway and he is pretty awesome).

The problem with the GG release was that it was footage provided by CG which was highly manipulated and misleading (fully modded GG vs non-modded JKR, cherry picked matches, Chewie's max HP bonus dmg not working) so a huge portion of the playerbase was upset when they realized that GG can't slice through all the other meta teams with ease as it was shown in the video.
    This is also going to play a bigger role now for future releases: Never trust the gameplay footage provided by CG and look critically at it. The GC's would have given/shown you the results of their testing and told you that the win rate is only smth like 60% (so rather meh..) while CG is gonna cherry pick stuff and sell it to you as it#s the new super awesome 101% win rate meta thing.
    Legend#6873 | YouTube | swgoh.gg
  • Options
    With Ahnalds video pointing out communication increased during the release of MSF...

has anyone else noticed communication has increased again around the launch of Raid Shadow Legends?

Maybe I need to get Mobile's tin-foil hat.
  • kalidor
    2121 posts Member
    Options
    I always thought it was weird that CG would outsource release information through external youtubers. And those videos tended to be the least interesting of the bunch (and riddled with ads). Theorycrafting and game commentary are much more interesting, IMO.
    xSWCr - Nov '15 shard - swgoh.gg kalidor-m
  • Options
    Hardly any of those youtubers have anything sensible to say, game changers least of all.
  • Sewpot
    2010 posts Member
    Options
    Well now all the hype (and then possible let down) is all on CG’s shoulders.
    Wonder if the PR person can handle that kind of pressure lol
  • JacenRoe
    3016 posts Member
    Options
    The most absurd thing I heard from a GC is that they jumped all over Warrior because he mentioned a comical thing that the BB8 buff kind of looked like. It was such an insignificant thing. CG could have said, 'ha, it does kind of look like that,' laughed it off, and then it would have gone away. Instead he gets in trouble. That silly joke doesn't damage their brand at all. Having no sense of humor, and making a big deal out of nothing damages their brand.

The GCs all really like the game and seem to me to be genuine when they criticize it, which makes their support of the game on things they like more meaningful. Meanwhile CG spits carefully crafted half-truths filled with corporate double talk at us. THAT is damaging to their brand. THAT is what people find repulsive. CG Carrie said they have to obsesse over every word that goes into their communication with us. That's only because they can't be honest.

I'm glad the former GCs are no longer in a toxic relationship with a bad boyfriend. They are better off without that official tag. I do believe that there are lots of good people at CG who love SW and want to make a fun game. But their belief in this fake, sterile, insincere form of dishonest communication that all corporations use is what ruined the program, and does more damage to their image that an occasional meme or joke Disney doesn't approve.
  • JacenRoe
    3016 posts Member
    Options
    Austin9370 wrote: »
    While you don't have to agree with everything CG does or says, understand they were critical in the growth of your channel. Myself and many others probably wouldn't have given it another look if you weren't given exclusive content.

That's objectively false. Many of these l guys were well established on their own before the program existed. Later entries established themselves before they were approached about joining. I definitely am not alone in having watched/listened to some of the content creators for a very long time before the GC label existed. And they have done really well with ZERO support from CG the last 8 months.

CG couldn't legally bully them into saying exactly what they were told, or restrict what they were permitted to discuss, so CG didn't want to opperate under those circumstances.
  • Palanthian
    1262 posts Member
    Options
    evoluza wrote: »
    Palanthian wrote: »
    Carrie has always said that the Game Changers did not work for CG and could say anything they want. Then we find out they’ve been meddling regularly and actually requested a takedown.

When did she say that? The "they can say what they want" part.

I follow her on Twitter.
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    Options
    JacenRoe wrote: »
    While you don't have to agree with everything CG does or says, understand they were critical in the growth of your channel. Myself and many others probably wouldn't have given it another look if you weren't given exclusive content.

That's objectively false. Many of these l guys were well established on their own before the program existed. Later entries established themselves before they were approached about joining. I definitely am not alone in having watched/listened to some of the content creators for a very long time before the GC label existed. And they have done really well with ZERO support from CG the last 8 months.

CG couldn't legally bully them into saying exactly what they were told, or restrict what they were permitted to discuss, so CG didn't want to opperate under those circumstances.

objectively false?
    I think it's reasonable to assume that their audience grew due to them being a gamechanger.
    Save water, drink champagne!
  • Options
    leef wrote: »

objectively false?
    I think it's reasonable to assume that their audience grew due to them being a gamechanger.

I heard a GC just today say that their channel grew a bit after becoming a Game changer... (but the program was effectively **** down short after they joined) percentage wise... not sure. I’d guess 20%... but that’s still noteworthy. Whatever the % is... They noticed the growth.
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    Options

objectively false?

I heard a GC just today say that their channel grew a bit after becoming a Game changer... (but the program was effectively **** down short after they joined) percentage wise... not sure. I’d guess 20%... but that’s still noteworthy. Whatever the % is... They noticed the growth.

It's hard to put a number on it, even if you pull up the youtube analytics.
    One thing is for sure though, none of them quit the program of their own volition while they arguably had reason to do so. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Save water, drink champagne!
  • JacenRoe
    3016 posts Member
    Options

objectively false?

I totally agree with you that it probably grew their audience some indeterminate amount. It was not critical.

They had an audience beforehand, couldn't get in until they already had a growing channel, and continued doing fine with no support at all. The vast majority of their content is not any different. The only real difference I have seen is that the kit reveal videos come out a few hours after a new character is announced on the forum instead of a few hours before.
  • Options
    I'm glad the former GCs are no longer in a toxic relationship with a bad boyfriend. They are better off without that official tag. I do believe that there are lots of good people at CG who love SW and want to make a fun game. But their belief in this fake, sterile, insincere form of dishonest communication that all corporations use is what ruined the program, and does more damage to their image that an occasional meme or joke Disney doesn't approve.

Really well put, thank you.

I think it's good news that the GCs are now free from scrutiny and control. I enjoy their videos, and I think they'll get even better now.

• Gorem
    1190 posts Member
    Options
    JDIII wrote: »
    They can speak their mind fully (without being under someone’s control) so we can hear the full truth about everything.

This really, I mean immediately we see them all actually talk about stuff that went on behind the scenes, the letters they got and other things going on. CG breaking off with them has already cost them players, more players then the project would have cost if it continued going. Their name continues to be dragged a long the dirt on every sidewalk in the world. They have earnt our distrust for everything they say.

Even trying to control AhnaldT by sending a letter containing lines from a contract that didn't exist.

CG does not deserve this game. They do not deserve our loyalty. And its obvious that star wars, that the guild mates we have here, are the only reason this game exists. Apathy is creeping in, people are giving up.
  • Options
    every other ea game has the program, and almost all are very successful. so the one at cg is the outlier? I don’t know so can’t comment. a general statement about companies: culture in any company is ultimately top down.

there is a lot of constructive criticism on these forums in addition to the whining and negative pointless criticism, but it is so rarely officially acknowledged, or is only after a crash and burn, that it makes you wonder: is there a ‘we know better than you so stop pointing things out and go away’ attitude? i have no idea.

talking up other ea games once and a while worried cg that some of their players would migrate away to a competing game? if true, here’s my response: improve THIS game and make it BETTER by tapping into the player base. it will be competitive in the market and you will retain, and attract new, players. business basics.

isn't there some verbiage in the forums posting guidelines about not being critical of cg in these forums? thus, the following is NOT critical, but rather constructive, feedback: cg, please listen to your player base and consider its suggestions more often.
  • VonZant
    3843 posts Member
    Options
    I'm completely guessing here, but the difference between this and other EA games may be its format. A New meta or keystone pve toon here means a huge amount of new income to them. And here one person not buying something because of a bad video hurts more than in another type of game. Or when a video comes out that says "this team is great" and its not after people spent a bunch of money on it has a lot more backlash for the same reasons. I dont know if EA has other FTP games, but they probably don't have the Star Wars license is the same format.

It doesnt matter to me personally either way because I'm not an impulse buyer. The very little money I have spent on the game was always after a few weeks of the toon being tested by other folks first. The only people that really get hurt by videos either way are those that have to have the toon day 1.
  • TVF
    36603 posts Member
    Options

Anyone who compares something this insignificant to a "toxic relationship with a bad boyfriend" has, in fact, put it quite poorly.
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • JacenRoe
    3016 posts Member
    Options
    TVF wrote: »

Anyone who compares something this insignificant to a "toxic relationship with a bad boyfriend" has, in fact, put it quite poorly.

I didn't say physically abusive. A toxic relationship is one that is bad for you. I've had toxic friends I've had to avoid because they drag others down.

By way of a small sample CG jumped down Warrior's throat, and made him apologize over a silly nothing joke. They threatened Ahnald to comply with their demands. They froze out Mobile Gamer because he wouldn't obey. They threw their weight around to control people in ways they had no legal right to, and lied about having such a legal right. They stopped responding to calls when they didn't get their way. Those petty, harsh, manipulative bully tactics are all behaviors I've observed out of a few people that I choose not to be around. It's not drastically hyperbolic to apply the term "toxic relationship" to this situation. It was the actual way that real live humans the GCs had a working relationship with treated them.
  • Stokat
    829 posts Member
    Options
    This will overall be better for them and give them more freedom to talk about things that CG screw up on without fear of breaking any "rules".
    I think it's good news that the GCs are now free from scrutiny and control. I enjoy their videos, and I think they'll get even better now.

If the game changers were so badly censored by cg and they got so little out of the game changers program they were always free to leave it anytime they wanted. They could have done the same videos just without early access to new content. Yet they all (?) chose to remain until the program was disbanded, so maybe it wasn’t such a horrible abusive relationship after all? But then again I never watched any of the game changer videos so what do I know.
  • Options
    What do you guys think will happen?

In regards to what?

• vincentlondon
    4527 posts Member
    edited June 2019
    Options
    Too bad. I think the meme review videos were funny. Now noone will continue to do that
    Post edited by vincentlondon on
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options
    What do you guys think will happen?

In regards to what?

The content they make. Do you expect huge changes? I say no.
    They still have the YouTube guidelines to keep it civil.

Change, no.

More "variety" of output, yes. I think we have already been seeing this increase in "other opinions".