Why such a focus on PVP?

Prev13
Zippy_3000
110 posts Member
edited July 2019
This is an honest question. PvP in “turned based” games seems inherently flawed to me.. as it heavily depends on who goes first.
And yes, I know there is pve in this game.. but it’s pretty weak. It seems like there’s a lot of room for expansion/improvement here. Where’s the creativity? Also: please enlighten me- was the majority of the community really asking for all this grand arena crap? Look at the issues it’s been causing..
Post edited by Kyno on

Replies

• Options
    Zippy_3000 wrote: »
    Also: please enlighten me- was the majority of the community really asking for all this grand arena crap? Look at what a sh!tstorm it’s been causing..

Yes. Pretty much since the games inception the community has been asking for two things: more and better PvP (with the ultimate desire being live PvP), and access to beta testing (with the ultimate desire being access to separate beta servers).

GAC and the exhibition seasons seems to be CGs response to these requests.
  • No_Try
    4051 posts Member
    Options
    Currently I would say approx. half of the game's content relies on pve, though many like me consider that a necessary evil to reach pvp ends. And yeah there's major interest for pvp. No, pvp doesn't always rely on who goes first, who is fastest on most cases more like, but not the first toon to go if there are balancing factors on the other end.

The **** GAC causes is hardly because there's a GAC, I've yet to see topics that people ask for cancellation of GAC as a mode all together. Yours may be one, dunno.
  • Options
    jhbuchholz wrote: »
    Also: please enlighten me- was the majority of the community really asking for all this grand arena crap? Look at what a sh!tstorm it’s been causing..

Yes. Pretty much since the games inception the community has been asking for two things: more and better PvP (with the ultimate desire being live PvP), and access to beta testing (with the ultimate desire being access to separate beta servers).

Is that really so?
    You must be very wise, if you know so much about the 'ultimative desire of the community'.

Nice try, but cheap framing...
  • Options
    VaexquaGer wrote: »

Is that really so?
    You must be very wise, if you know so much about the 'ultimative desire of the community'.

Nice try, but cheap framing...

Feel free to search the forums. I'm not trying to say everyone wants live PvP (I don't), and so maybe the use of the phrase "the community" is a bit clumsy, but there is a pretty consistent flow of requests for live PvP with minimal opposition.
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    Options
    speed is king even in non-turnbased games. Ever played FIFA? haha
    Save water, drink champagne!
  • Options
    I just think the PVE that’s offered is pretty tired. It seems to me they can do better. And yeah, In most games, PVP is where it’s at - But in turn-based games, I personally find it kind of lame. And since CG just expects/wants you to just LAY OUT YOUR CREDIT CARD AND BUY STUFF TO STAY COMPETITIVE, while the F2P players are constantly trying to catch up, I don’t find the PVP particularly enjoyable.
  • Options
    evoluza wrote: »
    Pvp is the only good competition you get.
    Pve is at some point just a grind and needs dev adaptation to make it a new challenge, therefore more work.
    Going for more Pvp is the one thing that works for them and for us, as soon as these bugs are fixed.

And PVP in this game is all about how much money you spend. GG.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options
    I very rarely go first and have very few issues winning.

PvP is a huge part of the game and has been since the inception, the main lifeblood of income is the crystals earned from arena. This game mode and other like it are just an extension of that, and honestly could have only come later in game when more teams were developed.
  • NicWester
    8928 posts Member
    Options
    This is an honest question. PvP in “turned based” games seems inherently flawed to me.. as it heavily depends on who goes first.
    And yes, I know there is pve in this game.. but it’s pretty weak. It seems like there’s a lot of room for expansion/improvement here. Where’s the creativity? Also: please enlighten me- was the majority of the community really asking for all this grand arena crap? Look at what a sh!tstorm it’s been causing..

There's a lot of PvE in this game, though. Five full boards--eight if you count hard separate from normal--events every day, three different territory battle maps, every raid. PvP is just arena, fleet arena, territory wars (of which there's one, it's now always the same, and is boring af), and grand arena.

Who cares if the majority of the community was asking for something? This community is bad. The majority of requests by the majority of the community can be summed up as "I want free stuff and I want to win every time I do something." Grand Arena could be absolutely perfect, and you would still get a thousand complaints from entitled sore losers who are convinced they should have gone 3-0 every time, but "the game" cost them the championship.
    Ceterum censeo Patientia esse meliat.
  • TVF
    36623 posts Member
    Options
    leef wrote: »
    speed is king even in non-turnbased games. Ever played FIFA? haha

Is that the bribing game?
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • Kilker
    31 posts Member
    Options
    Pvp is probably easier to develop. It also scales with time. Things like tw or ga are always similar difficulty since the competition is another persons ever growing roster. Pve events get easier as new characters are released and it takes dev interaction to make the event harder.
  • Options
    NicWester wrote: »
    There's a lot of PvE in this game, though. Five full boards--eight if you count hard separate from normal--events every day, three different territory battle maps, every raid.

Yes, but once you have done this stuff, and reach 85, it’s almost completely devoid of any challenge, or any decent reward.. or anything interesting.. once we’ve completed some of the more interesting events, we’re not even allowed to repeat them- even just for the challenge. I’m fine with anyone who likes the PvP in this game, (even though I personally don’t really enjoy it) I’m just asking for more interesting PVE content.. because I think it’s a reasonable request.

It’s undeniable that if you want to REALLY COMPETE in this game, IT REQUIRES YOUR FULL CARD NUMBER, AND EXPIRATION DATE. That is the key to winning .. once you have done that, skill will become a deciding factor.

• APX_919
    2468 posts Member
    Options
    NicWester wrote: »
    There's a lot of PvE in this game, though. Five full boards--eight if you count hard separate from normal--events every day, three different territory battle maps, every raid.

Yes, but once you have done this stuff, and reach 85, it’s almost completely devoid of any challenge, or any decent reward.. or anything interesting.. once we’ve completed some of the more interesting events, we’re not even allowed to repeat them- even just for the challenge. I’m fine with anyone who likes the PvP in this game, (even though I personally don’t really enjoy it) I’m just asking for more interesting PVE content.. because I think it’s a reasonable request.

It’s undeniable that if you want to REALLY COMPETE in this game, IT REQUIRES YOUR FULL CARD NUMBER, AND EXPIRATION DATE. That is the key to winning .. once you have done that, skill will become a deciding factor.

Money spent =/= skill. Penny wise, pound foolish after all (spending smartly can be done for well under $100 a month). You can spend 10k on useless junk (getting ME, CUP, Ugnaught to g12) or 100 total on smart buys (bundles, gear for needed toons).
    "Everything is proceeding as I have foreseen...mostly"
  • Jarvind
    3926 posts Member
    Options
    The issue with PVE content is that it takes a long time to develop and tune properly, while PVP is relatively dynamic and self-regulating. Obviously new releases need to be balanced against what already exists, but that probably isn't as daunting as figuring out the exact stats and abilities to give a new raid boss to ensure it's extremely challenging while still being beatable.

Personally I do prefer raids to PVP, but Grand Arena is actually my favorite addition to the game. It rewards building multiple strong teams, rather than the "sink all your best mods into one team and ignore everything else" methodology that made sense when Squad Arena was the only game in town.
    u58t4vkrvnrz.png

• jhbuchholz
    1966 posts Member
    Options

I deny this statement. First because there are plenty of people that compete without spending. And second because skill is not a deciding factor in any current PvP. Lack of skill can be, but when every interaction is against an AI there isn't a great deal of skill needed.
  • Options
    I deny this statement. First because there are plenty of people that compete without spending. And second because skill is not a deciding factor in any current PvP. Lack of skill can be, but when every interaction is against an AI there isn't a great deal of skill needed.

I’ve heard this a million times.. but the top players in the game spend lots of money to get all the latest toons (usually toons that are ‘broken op’) while CG slowly releases them later on for f2p players.. nerfing them along the way...

I’m f2p.. been playing for 3+ years.. I’m basically stuck in between rank 100 - 200 in squad arena. I win about the same amount as I lose. It’s become very boring, and stagnant.

GA, and GAC aren’t any more interesting for me.. it also very frustrating, because some of my “ability “ is measured by toons i focused on 2 years ago, when they were relevant. CG has, unfortunately, released a ton of new characters that constantly usurp the role of “best/must-have to compete” .. there’s no way to get these when they’re released without your credit card.

Since I elect NOT to ”pay to win”, or if you like: “pay to be competitive”, I rely on PVE content to find enjoyment in the game.. and sometimes stuff comes along that shows some imagination.. but less and less as time goes on ..
  • Boba_The_Fetter
    3393 posts Member
    edited July 2019
    Options
    What are you talking about? Geo TB literally just came out

I would argue the opposite. PvE content is difficult to introduce and manage in this game because it very quickly becomes out dated and if they scale the difficulty up then it becomes a problem of the carrot constantly moving forward and is unfair. PvE content is intended to be challenging and eventually conquered.

Marvel strike force has a problem in this regards for example it scales it's raids more difficult as players grow and you never truly move forward
  • jhbuchholz
    1966 posts Member
    Options

I’ve heard this a million times.. but the top players in the game spend lots of money to get all the latest toons (usually toons that are ‘broken op’) while CG slowly releases them later on for f2p players.. nerfing them along the way...

If you've heard it a million times then maybe you should be asking, "what can I do to be competitive as a F2P player" instead of declaring it undeniable that F2P cannot be competitive. Believe it or not, there are helpful folks on the forums and if you post your swgoh.gg account or ally code you'll get some good suggestions.
  • Options
    APX_919 wrote: »
    Money spent =/= skill. Penny wise, pound foolish after all (spending smartly can be done for well under $100 a month). You can spend 10k on useless junk (getting ME, CUP, Ugnaught to g12) or 100 total on smart buys (bundles, gear for needed toons).

To me, $100 a month is way, wayyyy too much money to spend. That’s more than buying one, full AAA title WITH all the bonus content.

Do you really think it’s reasonable that CG expects us to do that to stay competitive?

Games like fortnite are free, but you can compete right out of the box .. it doesn’t require you to spend $100 a month “smartly” as you say, to play a competitive game.

At the end of the day, I’m just asking for what I want in the game.. more pve content.. since the PVP has become so very dependent on how much money you spend on it..
  • Options

If you've heard it a million times then maybe you should be asking, "what can I do to be competitive as a F2P player" instead of declaring it undeniable that F2P cannot be competitive. Believe it or not, there are helpful folks on the forums and if you post your swgoh.gg account or ally code you'll get some good suggestions.

Show me some 100 percent f2p players (no money spent from day one) that are in the top twenty.

Even the very best advice, from the very best player, wont get me to the point of being competitive.. unless I use my credit card to stat buying crystals galore for gear 13, and all the must have toons.

People who are willing to do that are obviously gaining an advantage.. CG likes it that way.. If you look around, there are lots of other free to play games where you can compete without paying to win. League of Legends for example..
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options

I’m f2p.. been playing for 3+ years.. I’m basically stuck in between rank 100 - 200 in squad arena. I win about the same amount as I lose. It’s become very boring, and stagnant.

Then you are doing something wrong, and that has nothing to do with $$.
  • Options
    Jarvind wrote: »
    The issue with PVE content is that it takes a long time to develop and tune properly, while PVP is relatively dynamic and self-regulating. Obviously new releases need to be balanced against what already exists, but that probably isn't as daunting as figuring out the exact stats and abilities to give a new raid boss to ensure it's extremely challenging while still being beatable..

This is a good point.. and a solid observation.
  • jhbuchholz
    1966 posts Member
    Options
    I believe that both @leef and @Liath are completely F2P and are among the 882 that unlocked Darth Malak without spending a cent. I also believe that both are at the top of their arena shards. You could also ask @Edward .
  • Options
    Kyno wrote: »
    Then you are doing something wrong, and that has nothing to do with $$.

Could I improve? Absolutely. Will I get into the top 20 WITHOUT spending money. NOPE.

GG .. no re (unless you pull out you credit card)

• VonZant
    3843 posts Member
    Options
    GAC, once set up, will hold us for a long time because small tweaks to maps and feats can make for new experience.

PVE we are about to get a 2nd new TB and then shortly after that at least one or two raids (ground and ship).

Game is in a good place right now.
  • Options
    I believe that both @leef and @Liath are completely F2P and are among the 882 that unlocked Darth Malak without spending a cent. I also believe that both are at the top of their arena shards. You could also ask @Edward .

I will look at them, thank you for the suggestion. :)

I still would rather more PVE content though.
  • Liath
    5140 posts Member
    Options
    Also: please enlighten me- was the majority of the community really asking for all this grand arena crap?

I think what people have asked for fairly consistently is a way to compete against each other that utilizes more of our roster than 1 (or sometimes 2 or 3) teams of 5 and nothing else. Grand Arena may not be everyone's cup of tea, but it's certainly an attempt to meet that request.

Show me some 100 percent f2p players (no money spent from day one) that are in the top twenty.

There are 882 of us that have Malak. I imagine most if not all of us can finish top 20 regularly.
    Even the very best advice, from the very best player, wont get me to the point of being competitive.. unless I use my credit card to stat buying crystals galore for gear 13, and all the must have toons.

The best advice is not just about how to play the game itself, but how to manage your resources to get yourself into a position where you can get those must have characters. Everything that can be done with money can instead be done with saved crystals.
  • Options
    The best comment so far is "all you have to do is spend $1200 a year and you can be semi-competitive. Lol.

$1200 a year on a freaking mobile game. Lol.

Real video games cost around $100 with all DLC.

For them to expect this kind of money commitment from people, and that people pay it so willingly, is why PVP is king.

PVP makes them tons of money from people chasing gear and that last +1 speed.

No, FTP players are not competitive in this game. Not at high levels anyway. There may be 1 or 2 out of 1000 that can compete but to compete you must spend. CG Carrie even said so, I think she said they expect $2000 a year from you to stay competitive.

Stop lying about FTP being competitive.

TLDR,

PVP makes them tons of $$ , that's why there is lots of it.