Prev13
Dk_rek
3299 posts Member
edited July 2019
Setup : GAC

1) Match that's impossible to win
2) 3 Choices
a.) Set one team on D everyone loses
b.) Set EVERYTHING on D try to ensure they miss out on 500 points if they can't full clear 2 spots
c.) LET'S MAKE A DEAL.
aa) I set total trash on D you get 8 easy wins max points max feats
bb) You let me clear 7 teams all of which are feat and undersizeable
cc) Eight team I will lose on purpose 3 times then kill it for the full clear.

You get the win and 100% MAXIUMUM points. I still lose like I was anyway but maximize the loss. We are not in the same division and since you beat me your not competing with me.

I wish to make this a thing... AND anyone playing me feel free to accept this when the matchup is dumb. I will accept wholeheartedly. Everyone wins

This is vastly better than me placing one team on D or blocking areas hurting your score so you'll never see top 500.

This should be the new standard and I hope with this new standard we can have an honor system where people do not ruin our new standard with deception.

We will also need to creat a mocking thread for jerks who ruin our new unwinnable match standard.

Ethics people we need ethics to make this thing work

ETHICS is everything

Replies

• Jarvind
    3926 posts Member
    Options
    Ethics don't really work in competitions. You're supposed to crush your opponent. That's what a competition is.
    u58t4vkrvnrz.png

• RandomSithLord
    2325 posts Member
    edited July 2019
    Options
    Is it part of the ethics that you bump your opponent's score with a 64 banners average and several feats while others in the same division and similar power have actual defenses to face and will rank behind him/her no matter what they do?

I'm not saying you are doing something bad, but one way or another someone is put in unfavorable situation.
  • Options
    Make the deal. It maximizes your points in a losing effort...you described it perfectly. I am fully skeptical about the blowout monitor, so why not get the most you can out of this. It’s basically the new shard chat.

My matchup is a little closer but still a long shot. I wish it were a blowout so I would easily offer a deal.
  • Dk_rek
    3299 posts Member
    Options
    It’s basically the new shard chat.

yup as it should be. hmmm an even better idea as well taking it to discord much better chat function 100000x easier
  • Options
    You want to rig a match with collusion and you're talking about "ethics"??? Ohhhh, the irony, lol. Sorry, but I don't take it easy on anyone....I'd rather stomp them into dust.
  • Dk_rek
    3299 posts Member
    edited July 2019
    Options
    You want to rig a match with collusion and you're talking about "ethics"??? Ohhhh, the irony, lol. Sorry, but I don't take it easy on anyone....I'd rather stomp them into dust.

Riggin a match means someone that should have won lost..... as I have no chance to win... I'm not rigging anything. The guy who takes a dive in the 7th round....still could win if he want's too....

EDIT

1) I am totally for this...

2) The way I wrote the OP was supposed to be funny with the whole word play on ethics.... you people need to get right
  • DadKev
    314 posts Member
    Options
    Awful idea. Just play the game trying to win. If I ever am the higher player I would enjoy crushing you getting maximum points and you getting zero!
  • kieltrx
    129 posts Member
    Options
    Do what you think is best for you. The idea is good imo and there are no rules that would forbid making deals.
  • Dk_rek
    3299 posts Member
    Options
    DadKev wrote: »
    Awful idea. Just play the game trying to win. If I ever am the higher player I would enjoy crushing you getting maximum points and you getting zero!

Except you wouldnt get maximum points lose at least 500
  • 3pourr2
    1927 posts Member
    Options
    You're throwing of CG feedback of ga keeping match making feedback with out the blow outs. They said its designed to reduce blow outs but if you make that deal you feed the beast and prevent improvement
  • YaeVizsla
    3448 posts Member
    Options
    You're beginning from a position of assuming an impossible match. Which a lot of people do before trying, even in the face of modest disparity in assets.

Problem.

There is no such thing as an impossible match. There is also no such thing as a perfectly even match unless the rosters and players are perfectly identical. There is always an advantaged and disadvantaged party.

In any reasonable real world scenario, differences between the competitors are such that, at equal performance and luck, one side wins, period. However, in the real world, you don't get that perfectly equal luck or performance. Some play better than others. Some get lucky that day.

One side having an advantage over the other does not and will never make a match truly impossible. Rather, it impacts the margin by which the disadvantaged party needs to outperform and be luckier than the advantaged party.

As such, it is always in the best interests of the disadvantaged party to perform to the best of their ability in order to win.
    Still not a he.
  • Options
    I’ve done this twice now, I just drop a message to people I am likely to meet in the next round. Swap discord Id’s and sort it out there
  • kieltrx
    129 posts Member
    Options
    YaeVizsla wrote: »
    You're beginning from a position of assuming an impossible match. Which a lot of people do before trying, even in the face of modest disparity in assets.

Problem.

There is no such thing as an impossible match. There is also no such thing as a perfectly even match unless the rosters and players are perfectly identical. There is always an advantaged and disadvantaged party.

In any reasonable real world scenario, differences between the competitors are such that, at equal performance and luck, one side wins, period. However, in the real world, you don't get that perfectly equal luck or performance. Some play better than others. Some get lucky that day.

One side having an advantage over the other does not and will never make a match truly impossible. Rather, it impacts the margin by which the disadvantaged party needs to outperform and be luckier than the advantaged party.

As such, it is always in the best interests of the disadvantaged party to perform to the best of their ability in order to win.

I believed that, and believed in the new matchmaking until I saw my new group: there is this dude playing padme team somewhere around late 50s on arena, no g13, no malak, not even drevan present. Beside him there is this kraken guy with 10 g13 characters including full drevan/malak team, traya and half of galactic republic with twice as many speed mods. There are impossible matches, although, after first round outcome, they will probably not play against each other in this gac.
  • Options
    If you know your out matched, you maximize your points by setting minimal defense... Your giving your opponent easy max points which is not really fair to others in the division.

This will start happening more and more... Not what the devs intended, but if they do not want it to happen they should work on making a matchmaking system that works, and does not handycap players with certain play styles.
  • Kisakee
    1648 posts Member
    Options
    4e0xxin5ifm2.jpeg
    "Never make the mistake of believing forbearance equates to acceptance, or that all positions are equally valid."
    - Grand Admiral Thrawn
  • blmays
    27 posts Member
    Options
    I do this very thing. Had someone offer it to me because he got tired of people not filling and playing against him. I’ve paid it forward and only one person has turned me down. We don’t throw matches, but we talk about what feats I can help set up for my opponent. My request right now, for instance, is Wampas for a Boba Fett quest. I offer usually to go all in on offense in exchange for helping me with a few feats (recent Separatist or undersized squad feats). In fact I lost my last by 10 because he outplayed me on offense.

Until there are defense related feats and quests, I think this may be more common. Fight, compete, and get a little extra along the way if you can. And don’t fight if you don’t want to.
  • Options
    Update: I reviewed my opponent in detail and realized that I don’t want to spend hours strategizing for a longshot win. I offered the deal.

I’m not worried about messing up the blowout numbers. The way I see it, it took CG 4 months to remove ships from the matchmaking system and then another 2.5 months to evolve to our current system. While this is better than any previous version, it’s still not good. It doesn’t take a genius to figure out how to make a better system than this. If they can’t figure it out in 6 months, they either don’t want to make a good system or can’t figure out how to make a good system. Either way, I will maximize my rewards based on my current roster (in this case offering a deal to get max feats).
  • blmays
    27 posts Member
    edited July 2019
    Options
    The first person that offered it to me said, “Its us against the game” and. I had to chuckle. Another said, “Power to the players!”

I think it’s a fun twist in play :)
    Post edited by blmays on
  • CCyrilS
    6732 posts Member
    Options
    kieltrx wrote: »

Problem.

I believed that, and believed in the new matchmaking until I saw my new group: there is this dude playing padme team somewhere around late 50s on arena, no g13, no malak, not even drevan present. Beside him there is this kraken guy with 10 g13 characters including full drevan/malak team, traya and half of galactic republic with twice as many speed mods. There are impossible matches, although, after first round outcome, they will probably not play against each other in this gac.

A "kraken" should win. We aren't always going to play mirror rosters, but as you alluded to, players will be sorted and matches will become closer. I do agree that sounds a bit lopsided though, but the system is perfect, and this is still an exhibition tbf.

The players to whom Yae is referring are more closely matched than they probably think.
  • CCyrilS
    6732 posts Member
    Options

I think this a huge part of the problem. I'll bet there are a lot of "impossible matchups" where if the "disadvantaged" player handed their device over to a skilled player, a win is very feasible.

• Gannon
    1636 posts Member
    Options
    Just stop being such a defeatist lol
  • Rath_Tarr
    4944 posts Member
    Options
    CCyrilS wrote: »

I think this a huge part of the problem. I'll bet there are a lot of "impossible matchups" where if the "disadvantaged" player handed their device over to a skilled player, a win is very feasible.
    Too many people seem to look at the raw stats from a chat bot, declare defeat and just give up. Matches are won and lost with squads and strategy, not stats.
  • CCyrilS
    6732 posts Member
    Options
    Rath_Tarr wrote: »

Too many people seem to look at the raw stats from a chat bot, declare defeat and just give up. Matches are won and lost with squads and strategy, not stats.

They'd probably be better off not knowing the stats.

Han Solo said "never me tell me the odds" for a reason lol. Good thing he didn't listen to 3p0, he would have just surrendered.
  • kieltrx
    129 posts Member
    Options

Problem.

A "kraken" should win. We aren't always going to play mirror rosters, but as you alluded to, players will be sorted and matches will become closer. I do agree that sounds a bit lopsided though, but the system is perfect, and this is still an exhibition tbf.

The players to whom Yae is referring are more closely matched than they probably think.

I would agree with you if this was the first round of gac. But now we have the second round where some things should be sorted out as promised by the devs. What is the second factor of sorting apart from top65 character gp? It would seem it should be the championship score accumulated in the first round. So let me bring the numbers:
    No g13 guy: 11k score and #23000 in the division
    Kraken guy: 21k score and #1500
    Of course it's the score counting the first match in this round but even if you take away the 3k from kraken and 2k from the other guy it's 9k score difference! How did they end up in the same group in the second round of gac?
  • kieltrx
    129 posts Member
    edited July 2019
    Options
    Ok my bad, the score mentioned above is lifetime but the place in division is based on the current gac score which I can't check for them. Anyways it's still the difference of 21500 players between those two in the division so there is the 'sorting mechanism' -_-
  • Options

Problem.

I would agree with you if this was the first round of gac. But now we have the second round where some things should be sorted out as promised by the devs. What is the second factor of sorting apart from top65 character gp? It would seem it should be the championship score accumulated in the first round. So let me bring the numbers:
    Of course it's the score counting the first match in this round but even if you take away the 3k from kraken and 2k from the other guy it's 9k score difference! How did they end up in the same group in the second round of gac?

The leagues are supposed to be another layer of filtering for matchmaking, but someone didn’t pay attention to the point system when making leagues. If you just participate in the first round of matches (going 0-3), you’ll make it to Bronzium. At the same time, it’s not possible for anyone to get to chromium after the first round. So basically everyone moves to bronzium and matchmaking functions the same for the first two rounds.

There should be a little more filtering after round 2, but it’s basically the same thing. I just made chromium after setting my defense for the second match. I’m currently 3-1, so I would imagine most people that are trying but have worse records will make chromium by the end of round 2. So the next round’s matchmaking will be almost identical again.

Matches won’t get better until we adjust GP (at least the GP used for MM) for GAC.
  • Rath_Tarr
    4944 posts Member
    Options

Problem.

The leagues are supposed to be another layer of filtering for matchmaking, but someone didn’t pay attention to the point system when making leagues. If you just participate in the first round of matches (going 0-3), you’ll make it to Bronzium.
    Let's actually do a little math shall we...

In Division 5 you deploy 5 squads and it takes 3,250 points to get to Bronzium. That's 1,080 points per round.

450 for deploying - that's participating.

That leaves 630 points per round from defeating squads and completing feats

There are a couple of feats that are so easy a total loser could do them but then they get significantly tougher.

The easiest territories are 150 + 16-64 banners each but it's not uncommon for weaker opponents to fail to defeat a single squad.

So no, not everyone moves up to Bronzium by the end of the first GA and you can confirm that for yourself simply by looking at the in-game leaderboards today.

Somebody clearly wasn't paying attention to reality when he wrote his post.
  • Options
    Rath_Tarr wrote: »

Problem.

The leagues are supposed to be another layer of filtering for matchmaking, but someone didn’t pay attention to the point system when making leagues. If you just participate in the first round of matches (going 0-3), you’ll make it to Bronzium.
    Let's actually do a little math shall we...

In Division 5 you deploy 5 squads and it takes 3,250 points to get to Bronzium. That's 1,080 points per round.

450 for deploying - that's participating.

That leaves 630 points per round from defeating squads and completing feats

There are a couple of feats that are so easy a total loser could do them but then they get significantly tougher.

The easiest territories are 150 + 16-64 banners each but it's not uncommon for weaker opponents to fail to defeat a single squad.

So no, not everyone moves up to Bronzium by the end of the first GA and you can confirm that for yourself simply by looking at the in-game leaderboards today.

Somebody clearly wasn't paying attention to reality when he wrote his post.

I’m in division 3. I didn’t check the other division scores when making my comment (looks like you didn’t either). It’s 3250 to move up to bronzium.

My matches require 6 defenses (540 points). So 540x3=1620. Clearing 1 front and 1 back territory is 3 team (x60 for easy math) +180+150=510. 510x3=1530.

1620+1530=3150. I’m only adding 100 extra points for easy feats. That doesn’t seem unreasonable for someone that tries.

And no, simply setting defenses is not participating. The game does that for you even if you don’t log in.

Maybe I didn’t clarify what I count as someone participating: in my experience, if someone consistently cannot clear a single territory then they will not participate in GA matches. I know many people like this.
  • kieltrx
    129 posts Member
    Options
    Yeah I forgot about the leagues, my bad. In other words the only real sorting will happen between rounds 2 and 3 of gac where some people will reach aurodium, most stay chromium and a handful in bronzium.
  • Acrofales
    1363 posts Member
    Options
    It's a prisoner's dilemma. And the Nash equilibrium is in both defecting. Sorry. Gonna continue playing as if my enemy is the enemy.