Why GAC Matchmaking Doesn't Work

Prev13
Top 80 GP? Identical
Difference in G11/12 toons? 25
Therein lies the rub. My opponent has 5 extra G11/12 teams they can mix and match on defense, or use on offense if they fail an attack. This is the major flaw in GAC matchmaking imo
#CloneHelmets4Life...VICTORY!!!! :smiley: "I don't like sand. It's coarse and rough and irritating and it gets everywhere." The more you tighten your grip, CG/EA, the more whales will slip through your fingers (and go F2P or quit).

Replies

• Beaks
    73 posts Member
    edited July 2019
    Options
    @CaptainRex
    znlvqco90cqp.png
    shtoru1lg0vq.png

My opponent on top pic, my stat on the bottom pic, take a look at the huge difference in GP!
  • Ultra
    11509 posts Moderator
    Options
    post the full results of DSR bot
  • Options
    Stop crying about it and beat them. I beat two opponents with 500k more gp than me, more gear 12 and more zetas
  • Ultra
    11509 posts Moderator
    Options
    Beaks you should censor your opponent's name
  • CaptainRex
    2840 posts Member
    edited July 2019
    Options
    Beaks wrote: »
    @CaptainRex
    znlvqco90cqp.png
    shtoru1lg0vq.png

My opponent on top pic, my stat on the bottom pic, take a look at the huge difference in GP!

I see your point, but GP doesn't tell the full story. A lean 2.6M will crush a fluffy 3M. I believe CG went too narrow when they switched from just straight character GP.
    I do think straight character GP is the most fair imo
    #CloneHelmets4Life...VICTORY!!!! :smiley: "I don't like sand. It's coarse and rough and irritating and it gets everywhere." The more you tighten your grip, CG/EA, the more whales will slip through your fingers (and go F2P or quit).
  • Options
    Please be sure to post the results.
  • Options
    My last 2 matches were against opponents with a gp around 900k above mine. I dont understand why they are putting players from different divisions in the same group. 5 players in my group are division 1 (4.5+) while I'm at the low end of division 2 (3.9) Decided I'm just gonna sit this tournament out as it's just a waste of time for little payout. The championship store is amazingly unimpressive.
  • biggles
    1144 posts Member
    edited July 2019
    Options
    It's not meant to be fair it's meant to give whales a sense of achievement for beating lower gp because they can't compete with other whales. Keeps the whales happy and continued spending
  • Gannon
    1636 posts Member
    Options
    Depends what you mean by difference in g11&12
  • TVF
    36609 posts Member
    Options
    biggles wrote: »
    It's not meant to be fair it's meant to give whales a sense of achievement for beating lower gp because they can't compete with other whales. Keeps the whales happy and continued spending

Lol.
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • Keydash1
    503 posts Member
    Options
    I'd say whales are at a disadvantage in the new algorithm. They've cranked up their GP faster, meaning they are usually behind on zetas (and often behind on mods). Check out Endall Beall's videos for an example - the whales in the bracket are the ones who get crushed.

Having extra teams for backup and flexibility is useful, but there are still only so many viable teams. Having garbage toons at G12+ is no help at all.
  • Gannon
    1636 posts Member
    Options
    Keydash1 wrote: »
    I'd say whales are at a disadvantage in the new algorithm. They've cranked up their GP faster, meaning they are usually behind on zetas (and often behind on mods). Check out Endall Beall's videos for an example - the whales in the bracket are the ones who get crushed.

Having extra teams for backup and flexibility is useful, but there are still only so many viable teams. Having garbage toons at G12+ is no help at all.

I agree with this. It's very difficult to change your to 80 if you're a whale. But those that predicted this change, or advocated for it, have the advantage now. Anyone who built their roster for war, ga, etc are the ones who will succeed. You need to have all the metas and/or counters. Those that don't, aren't prepared for championships. Extra teams are great as a safety net, but generally if you can't wipe the board first try without any fails, you'll lose. That's just how difficult it is. Whining won't change that. It's championships for a reason.
  • Nikoms565
    14242 posts Member
    Options

Unless they have a Malak and 5-6 more g13 toons that the opponent does not have. In almost every case that's enough to block half the board.
    In game name: Lucas Gregory FORMER PLAYER - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

In game guild: TNR Uprising
    I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
    *This space left intentionally blank*
  • biggles
    1144 posts Member
    Options
    I fail to see how having every char at gear 12 and facing someone with 1mil+ gp less is a disadvantage in any way whatsoever. If some of them are losing it's because they either don't care and don't try or they are just plain terrible and don't understand the game properly.
  • CaptainRex
    2840 posts Member
    Options
    Gannon wrote: »

As in, my opponent has 25 more G11/12 characters than myself (in the 17-18k power range). I have a pretty focused roster, so I get exactly 16 usable teams for GAC, everyone else beyond that is basically trash.
  • Options

Actually from what i've seen of a bunch of 5.3m+ GP accounts is they are facing the same people they just fought last week. So it's not whales fighting little accounts. It's just the same s**t different week. There is no progression in who you fight, there is no let's actually see who is the best player in SWGOH. It's a joke. Some might say it will drive spending, but i've seen the opposite. It's possible the info I've seen is too narrow to make a broad claim.
  • Options
    CaptainRex wrote: »

As in, my opponent has 25 more G11/12 characters than myself (in the 17-18k power range). I have a pretty focused roster, so I get exactly 16 usable teams for GAC, everyone else beyond that is basically trash.

This matchmaking process really hurts the focused, lean rosters that people have been building for TW and previous GA's
  • Options
    yohann269 wrote: »

Actually from what i've seen of a bunch of 5.3m+ GP accounts is they are facing the same people they just fought last week. So it's not whales fighting little accounts. It's just the same s**t different week. There is no progression in who you fight, there is no let's actually see who is the best player in SWGOH. It's a joke. Some might say it will drive spending, but i've seen the opposite. It's possible the info I've seen is too narrow to make a broad claim.

That’s because getting to bronzium league basically only eliminates the people that don’t participate in GA. I could have gone 0-3 and made bronzium. So if the algorithm matches based on your league, it will perform almost no differently in rounds 1 and 2. We should start seeing a difference in round 3 when non-participants are probably still in carbonite and top tier players are now in chromium.

Just looking at my bracket, there are 2 guys that are clearly better than everyone else. I could probably get a win against them with luck and good strategy. And there are 3 people that I could easily crush (pretty sure my first opponent won’t even participate). If, somehow, the top 2 guys got paired against a bottom 3 guy, it would clearly be a blowout...the thing CG says they’re trying to prevent.

I think this algorithm is better than the last, but it’s still not good because GP is not a good measure of your roster’s strength. And if the goal is to prevent blowouts then roster strength needs to be matched (not resource investments).
  • Options

This matchmaking process really hurts the focused, lean rosters that people have been building for TW and previous GA's

I don’t think so. Prior to GAC, I rarely had a close match that required more than defensive teams x2 and then +2 (essentially the new MM plus 2 additional teams for occasional screwups). All a lean roster is losing is the depth to mess up and still win on a second or third try (which would probably mean losing the match anyway).

Now if you did like me and went lean with a bunch of g12 pilots, you’ll be hurt by the MM.
  • CaptainRex
    2840 posts Member
    Options

Seriously. I got matched against someone with 600k more GP, 20 more G12 toons, but our Top 80 is the same, so I guess that's fair.
  • Options
    This GAC matching will push me out of the game. I didn’t work for years polishing a good account to become a punching bag for ultra whales.
  • Options

This is actually true it's called engagement optimized matchmaking (EOMM) it's there to make spenders feel like their money was worth it and to pressure non spenders to pay money.

• Gannon
    1636 posts Member
    Options

This is actually true it's called engagement optimized matchmaking (EOMM) it's there to make spenders feel like their money was worth it and to pressure non spenders to pay money.

The prob with that theory is that it's mostly whales or those who went full lean for previous GA matching that I've seen complaining. Everyone in between is pretty well off atm. Although I have noticed the difficulty gets harder each match for me, so maybe they actually are using a tournament style progression?
  • Options
    Idk if this is any indication, but I'm going to be fighting not to get last this next round. Up until GAC, I had never failed to make it to the championship round of GA.
  • Options
    srwhitewvu wrote: »
    Stop crying about it and beat them. I beat two opponents with 500k more gp than me, more gear 12 and more zetas

As someone who won the first group, has the highest character GP in 2nd group, and is currently 0-2 in that same group....

My anecdotal evidence says the algorithm is working like it should be.
  • CaptainRex
    2840 posts Member
    Options
    srwhitewvu wrote: »

As someone who won the first group, has the highest character GP in 2nd group, and is currently 0-2 in that same group....

My anecdotal evidence says the algorithm is working like it should be.

I guess I had my expectations wrong. I was thinking CG would match straight character GP, like usual, and if you won your GA, you'd move on to face other people who share your GP, and also won their GA. Too simple?
  • Drazhar
    784 posts Member
    Options
    Problem is, it is surely WAI. But what is I?
  • Options
    Nikoms565 wrote: »

Unless they have a Malak and 5-6 more g13 toons that the opponent does not have. In almost every case that's enough to block half the board.

If you don’t have a counter to malak yet, you’re not going to win GAC. There are several counters, and he’s by no means a new problem. If you’re properly prepared (have all legendary/journey toons by their second pass, totally doable FTP) there shouldn’t be any team capable of blocking half the board. If you’re struggling against Malak, I’d recommend practicing against him in the arena. There should be plenty of teams available there for you to work on your technique.
  • Legend91
    2441 posts Member
    Options
    - I'm mostly F2P (spent a total of maybe 100-120 bucks from 2015-2018 and didn't spend a cent since then).
    - Since I don't spend anything I also got all the latest chars/ships (7* 3PO, 5* HMF, DR, Malak, 7* Padme) the f2p way.
    - I have a good mod depth but in no way am I one of these RNG gurus who have all these 25+ speed mods and their +170 DR's/BSF's.
    - I (sitting at ~4.5m) got matched vs both people from div 1 with ~5m GP aswell as people with smth like ~3.8m GP and the guy at 3.8m was actually one of the hardest matchups yet (funny, huh?).
    - I'm yet undefeated in GAC.

But what am I talking...the whole thing is bad, GP is everything and this whole thing is only for whales.
    Legend#6873 | YouTube | swgoh.gg
  • Gannon
    1636 posts Member
    Options
    Legend91 wrote: »
    - I'm mostly F2P (spent a total of maybe 100-120 bucks from 2015-2018 and didn't spend a cent since then).
    - Since I don't spend anything I also got all the latest chars/ships (7* 3PO, 5* HMF, DR, Malak, 7* Padme) the f2p way.
    - I have a good mod depth but in no way am I one of these RNG gurus who have all these 25+ speed mods and their +170 DR's/BSF's.
    - I (sitting at ~4.5m) got matched vs both people from div 1 with ~5m GP aswell as people with smth like ~3.8m GP and the guy at 3.8m was actually one of the hardest matchups yet (funny, huh?).
    - I'm yet undefeated in GAC.

But what am I talking...the whole thing is bad, GP is everything and this whole thing is only for whales.

You are focused on metas, so it really just favors you. Most whales have useless junk up in their top 80, making them face ppl like you. Not saying thats a bad thing, but it's usually whales or leans complaining. If you're undefeated, you've prolly been favorably matched or your just better. Either way, I'm in the same boat. It's been getting harder each round for me tho, maybe cuz there's fewer defeatist matched with me the higher I get. Really, nobody should be complaining at this point tho. Everything seems to be wai, moor so each round