Fix matchmaking GA

I thought they said they were gonna fix this. Thought they said they wanna keep it fun. How is 5.1gp vs 4.4 fair OR fun?

Replies

• Options
    Last 3 games me 3.8m playing vs 4.9m div 1 players with 4-5 g 13 chars...
    Working as intended
  • DocDoom
    532 posts Member
    Options
    In each bracket I've been totally outclassed, come in 7th or 8th, and the next bracket I'm up against exactly the same type of opponents. I thought the whole idea was that if you lost your faced easier opponents and if you won you faced tougher ones.

It does not come across as any sort of improvement whatsoever.
  • Gannon
    1637 posts Member
    Options
    Geez, try reading how it works, or the actual megathead about it. It's fine
  • ArdenPulsar
    372 posts Member
    edited August 2019
    Options
    DocDoom wrote: »
    In each bracket I've been totally outclassed, come in 7th or 8th, and the next bracket I'm up against exactly the same type of opponents. I thought the whole idea was that if you lost your faced easier opponents and if you won you faced tougher ones.

Same for me. Since they've reworked the match making I've only won twice. Had 4 matches that were pretty even, the rest I was crushed and had no chance. This round the guy I'm facing is ranked 1836 in division 1, while I'm ranked 16,032 in division 2. This is not someone who's lost often. Why am I facing him if I've only won twice?

The matchmaking is busted. I had much better matches before the change and a lot more fun. I won roughly 60% of the time before. Now I'm starting not to care.

GA used to be my favorite event, now I hate it
  • Gannon
    1637 posts Member
    Options

This round the guy I'm facing is ranked 1836 in division 1, while I'm ranked 16,032 in division 2. This is not someone who's lost often. Why am I facing him if I've only won twice?

he's lower ranked than you, even tho he's in a higher division with more points for placements, etc. That's someone who's lost as much as you most likely. 😂
  • Xlor1
    107 posts Member
    Options
    Gannon wrote: »

It's not fine. How is 10 g13s, malak, and 1.1 mill more gp than me fine? I've 4.1 mill, no malak, one g13. It's impossible. It's like Mr bean fighting Mike Tyson.
  • Xlor1
    107 posts Member
    Options

Same for me. Since they've reworked the match making I've only won twice. Had 4 matches that were pretty even, the rest I was crushed and had no chance. This round the guy I'm facing is ranked 1836 in division 1, while I'm ranked 16,032 in division 2. This is not someone who's lost often. Why am I facing him if I've only won twice?

The matchmaking is busted. I had much better matches before the change and a lot more fun. I won roughly 60% of the time before. Now I'm starting not to care.

GA used to be my favorite event, now I hate it

Same.
  • Options
    3 easy fixes:
    1. Only allow battles inside division.
    2. Expand relevant gp to include 30% more characters.
    3. Reweigh g13
    Hard to think about how any of these changes would lead to anything but more fair matchups. Or, at minimum, not less fair.
  • Xlor1
    107 posts Member
    Options
    A zeta v a g13 finisher. What's the difference in gp? Some of the first zetas I did, which were needed at the time ie zsid, zcody, zmaul etc are worthless now but theyre in my top 80 because of the huge gp increase a zeta gives them. They definitely don't stack up against any g13 I'm afraid. I give in. Matchmaking is poor.
  • Options
    Matchmaking is significantly better now. I will say that players should not be paired outside their division. (Never happened to me but I see it as incredibly unfair.) Also the g13 boost to power is much higher than the boost to gp; it needs to be rescaled.
  • Options
    Matchmaking is significantly better now. I will say that players should not be paired outside their division. (Never happened to me but I see it as incredibly unfair.) Also the g13 boost to power is much higher than the boost to gp; it needs to be rescaled.

A G13 finisher is worth about 200 GP. It’s worth about the same as an omega ability. A zeta ability is worth about 2.5k GP.

So to use the example of Maul above, if you could remove that zeta and upgrade 12 characters to g13 your matchmaking score would be about the same.

• Rath_Tarr
    4944 posts Member
    Options

A G13 finisher is worth about 200 GP. It’s worth about the same as an omega ability. A zeta ability is worth about 2.5k GP.

So to use the example of Maul above, if you could remove that zeta and upgrade 12 characters to g13 your matchmaking score would be about the same.
    Makes you wonder why g13 finishers are valued so low, given the big benefits they offer. They use significant amounts of new components which ought to open up the possibility of valuing them higher without disrupting existing gear pieces.
  • Options
    Rath_Tarr wrote: »

Makes you wonder why g13 finishers are valued so low, given the big benefits they offer. They use significant amounts of new components which ought to open up the possibility of valuing them higher without disrupting existing gear pieces.

I can't say I know, but my best guess would be 1 of 2 things. 1) They don't want character GP to increase further because of territory battles. 2) They want to make sure taking characters to G13 is worth the boost in Grand Arena. Right now you clearly want to add G13 characters, because it's absolutely worth the 200 GP increase. I don't think we can say the same about a lot of the zeta skills. They might be good, but are they worth drawing a harder opponent for?
  • Gannon
    1637 posts Member
    Options
    Xlor1 wrote: »
    Gannon wrote: »

It's not fine. How is 10 g13s, malak, and 1.1 mill more gp than me fine? I've 4.1 mill, no malak, one g13. It's impossible. It's like Mr bean fighting Mike Tyson.

Because your top number gp is the same, so you equalized somehow. Maybe you have way more zetas and t6 mods. Imo, that's more helpful than gear in most instances, so I win. Total gp isn't factored into matching, just what's needed by the board, so you both have an equal chance to win, depending what you have that high up. I've beaten similar matches multiple times, with no Dr or Malak.
  • Options
    I would like GAC to show us who the very best accounts are in the game but this style will not yield those results.
    Why can’t we just be matched based on our rankings and then everyone will eventually settle out where they are evenly matched.
    This would also tell us who the best players with the best accounts in the game really are.
  • Options
    3 easy fixes:
    1. Only allow battles inside division.
    2. Expand relevant gp to include 30% more characters.
    3. Reweigh g13
    Hard to think about how any of these changes would lead to anything but more fair matchups. Or, at minimum, not less fair.

I couldn't disagree more. It's definitely not that easy.

1. This does nothing to solve matchmaking and will only create a different problem where the advatage will go to the whales and hoarders at the top of their divisions that invest heavily after division locks.

2. Where did 30% come from? Clearly the old system of using total GP or total character GP was worse. For those that go heavy with undersized squads, they aren't even using all the toons included in the calculation now and expanding relevant GP will only make it easier for those at the top.

3. The same problem at G13 impacts all gear levels. GP is a measure of investment, not character value. The whole GP calculation needs to be replaced by one that's based on character stats and abilities.