154M's answer to the gear exchange question, needs clarification.

Prev1
"A: 154M - You'll be exchanging both lower-level and higher-level gear for new materials. There's currently no plans to have an "exchanger" of low to high level gear. We think that's already covered by the Shard Shop."

This isn't correct. We can't exchange gear in the shard shop... Could you please clarify this answer?

Thank you :)

Replies

• CCyrilS
    6732 posts Member
    Options
    What's not correct? He's talking about something that doesn't exist yet.
  • AnnerDoon
    1353 posts Member
    Options
    It seems clear to me. You can already get get higher level gear in the shard shop. They don’t want us to have more ways to get that gear. It’s a designed bottleneck.

Further, you will need both low and high level gear to exchange for new materials. No upgrading of low level gear to higher level gear... not new gear, either. It’s new materials. Who knows what those new materials will be, but I’m guessing it’s the new epic stuff (or whatever they’re calling it) like Yoda’s stick, Vader’s mask, etc..
  • Options
    The "exchanger" of low to high level gear is exchanging shards for 'low to high' level gear, it's not not gear for gear like your reading it
  • CCyrilS
    6732 posts Member
    Options
    JDIII wrote: »
    b6lcmqsu9mv0.png

Good point. The gear is needed for jawas to beat geos.
  • Options
    The confusion of the responses here, is exactly my point... How is the exchange of low to high gear covered in the shard shop already???
    Yes you can convert excess shards, but that has nothing to do with excess gear. That is what I was asking for clarification on ;)
  • Options
    The confusion of the responses here, is exactly my point... How is the exchange of low to high gear covered in the shard shop already???
    Yes you can convert excess shards, but that has nothing to do with excess gear. That is what I was asking for clarification on ;)

Excess gear will be traded for new materials as a way to power up your epic items... what's not to understand?
  • Options
    Not the question I'm asking... How is low gear exchange covered in the Shard Shop. You can ONLY exchange shards NOT gear.
  • CCyrilS
    6732 posts Member
    Options
    Not the question I'm asking... How is low gear exchange covered in the Shard Shop. You can ONLY exchange shards NOT gear.

Ohhh i get it now. That actually is a good question.
  • CCyrilS
    6732 posts Member
    edited August 2019
    Options

Well, 154M had just said there was no plan to let us exchange low gear to high gear. This includes the shard shop.

What even is your question? The shard shop lets us farm things (shards) that we can exchange for high gear. The fact that you cannot exchange low gear is both well-known, trivial, and there's no plan for it according to this dev.

Right. So what is covered by shard shop? How is it relevant to the question?
    Post edited by CCyrilS on
  • Options
    Thank you CCyrilS! Finally someone gets it :)
  • nabokovfan
    535 posts Member
    edited August 2019
    Options
    Thank you CCyrilS! Finally someone gets it :)

They already said in the Q&A that older, hoarded gear is going to be used in the character unique items they are releasing. The comment about shard shop is specifically commenting on hoarded shop currency that people have saved up.

This is the full question and response. Along with the "clarification" you're asking for.
    Q: Will there be a system implemented to use up our overly stockpiled low level gear to hopefully use as an exchange rate to gain higher level gear? This would give us use for the thousands of gears just stock piling away.

A: 154M - You'll be exchanging both lower-level and higher-level gear for new materials. There's currently no plans to have an "exchanger" of low to high level gear. We think that's already covered by the Shard Shop.

Q: Could you imagine something like a Jawa junk trader where different lever tier gear can be traded for other gear of higher tiers?

A: 154M - Utinni!!!
    A: TopHat - We could absolutely imagine it. ;)
    A: CG_Sven - That's actually pretty close, spiritually, to where we started with this idea.

Q: Is the idea that we're trading in lower level gear pieces for higher level gear pieces of the same kind, i.e., trade in 10 mk4 stun guns for 1 mk5 stun gun? Or for something entirely new?

A: 154M - The latter.
  • Options
    JDIII wrote: »
    . An example could be to change 10 pieces of mk4 stun guns, to 1 piece of mk5 stun guns

I'd be happy with a 100:1 ratio, even 1000:1 in some cases! :)
  • Options
    I think he ment its conceptually the same, even if practically different.

Your taking something excess and usless (be it gear or shards) and trading it for something usefull.

The concept is whats covered by the shard shop. Could it have been clearer? Yes. Was it hard to figure out? No.
  • miketo
    139 posts Member
    Options
    There are low level gear pieces that you always need to farm. They aren't hard to get, takes 36 energy to get the one or two you need.

I will guarantee these will be the low level gear pieces you will need. Just another farm added.

I will wait and see, but as my above line indicates, I am not hopeful.
  • Options
    Basically so far every single person's questions AND answers AND expectations all seem to be wrong or misunderstood or misquoted or vague...or all of the above.
    What it comes down to seems to be this:
    Q1) Will we be able to exchange stockpiled low-level gear for higher gear?
    A1) No
    Q2) Will we be able to exchange stockpiled low-level gear in the same way excess shards go into the shard store for buying other stuff including high-level gear?
    A2) No
    Q3) Will this new "Iconic Items" feature let us use up all our stockpiled low-level gear without also requiring already bottlenecked high-level gear that we are already struggling to get enough of?
    A3) No. The new items will require both stockpiled gear AND higher value gear, so really it'll just be another way to bottleneck higher level scarce gear pieces while also throwing some of the stockpiled gear into it at the same time - but that is really no more helpful or 'giving' of them than it would be if they changed the game to, for instance, require 50 Mk.3 Carbanti, 50 Mk.5 Stun Guns AND 50 Mk.4 BAW Armor Mods for a Stun Gun, we'd still need the harder to get more scarce items but we'd ALSO need some of the stockpiled gear
    Q4) Won't requiring high-level gear alongside stockpiled low level gear for the new Iconic Items just create a new higher level gear bottleneck without really giving us anything for our low level gear?
    A4) Yes, it will do exactly that.
  • SemiGod
    3001 posts Member
    Options
    "There's currently no plans to have an "exchanger" of low to high level gear. We think that's already covered by the Shard Shop."

Theres a reason why theres a period there.

Hes basically meaning the shard shop is already meant to be a place to get high level gear.
  • Options
    SemiGod wrote: »
    "There's currently no plans to have an "exchanger" of low to high level gear. We think that's already covered by the Shard Shop."

Hes basically meaning the shard shop is already meant to be a place to get high level gear.

Furthermore
    It's an "exchanger" of...low to high level gear.

Meaning you can exchange items (currently excess shards) for low OR high level gear.

It does NOT mean that you can exchange low gear to make high gear. This doesn't need clarification, you just need to read it properly.
  • CCyrilS
    6732 posts Member
    Options

Furthermore

Meaning you can exchange items (currently excess shards) for low OR high level gear.

It does NOT mean that you can exchange low gear to make high gear. This doesn't need clarification, you just need to read it properly.

We did read and understand, and that's what brought up the question. It just doesn't seem to be a relevant comment.
  • Options
    CCyrilS wrote: »

Furthermore

We did read and understand, and that's what brought up the question. It just doesn't seem to be a relevant comment.

It's relevant by showing the "exchange" mechanism for exchanging something (shards) for gear (low to high) already exists in the shard shop.
  • Options
    I think he ment its conceptually the same, even if practically different.

Your taking something excess and usless (be it gear or shards) and trading it for something usefull.

The concept is whats covered by the shard shop. Could it have been clearer? Yes. Was it hard to figure out? No.

This guy gave a good explaination, yes some of its inferred. The point remains he was talking about the concept of an exchange being covered.
  • CCyrilS
    6732 posts Member
    Options
    I get that. But to me if the question is exchanging low gear for new gear, I don't see how the shard shop would even come up.

For instance if someone asked me if there was a place in town to buy fishing tackle, I wouldn't answer "No, but there's a burger king"