Nice long list of reasons:
1. The toughest event of all time just to unlock a 5* character, and my enthusiasm died the moment I realised it would be a 5* unlock.
2. Nothing short of a 7* can access G12, G13 or 6E mods, so GAS will be miles behind the curve for 99% of people unlocking him.
3. A 5* GAS can't use relics, the much-hyped brand new feature in the game, so he's effectively 3-4 gear levels behind other characters, as well as the star deficit.
4. A 5* GAS can't be used in the soon-to-be-released LS Geo TB, sabotaging the new content before it's even released.
5. Geo TBs reward just over half the amount of GET that Hoth TBs do, so players who want a fast GAS farm are going to be tempted to ignore the new LS Geo TB before it's even released!
6. Players seeking out Hoth-only guilds are going to break up established guilds and relationships, because - as good as Negotiator and Wat are - the GET2 characters are by no means required for anything at all.
7. GET can't be monetised, so CG loses money on either starring up GAS to 7* or gearing him up to G13, and slotting relics to R7.
Based on the above, I think this is - hands down - the dumbest move for the game that I've seen in recent times. I've spent the whole morning trying to make sense of it, and there is no sense to be had.
It's just a bad, bad decision, at a time when a record number of players are deserting the game.
This was a chance to finally put a smile on some faces, new content, a new meta - and it's just another update that leaves a bad taste in the mouth.