Players Who Spent Malak GET on Gear

So. I’ve had a random thought exercise. Will cg attempt to investigate case by case for any player who doesn’t read the forums and spent GET on gear following receipt of unexpected Malak shards?

If we ignore the intent of the event (one can debate if the shards were earned or not until the end of time), the simple fact remains that to that player:
- the shards displayed as a clear reward for the event (similar to Talzin, Wicket, or Zombie/Spirit events)
- that player, if they do not read the forums, has only received one ingame mail stating that the event was incorrect, is canceled, and will be rescheduled. Nowhere in that ingame message was the reset or reset timeline mentioned.

Based on these two facts, it is not unreasonable to assume that any player in those circumstances would spend GET1 on gear. Keep in mind that this player would be aware that it took nearly 8 months for Malak to return, so if GAS were to follow a similar patten that player would have plenty of time to farm GET before the GAS return. Additionally, a player focused on finishing Malak this iteration is most likely not the bleeding edge tip of the spear, meaning this player may be focused on continued gearing (or even unlocking of Hoda, Wampa, or GAS pre-reqs).

I’m not saying there’s a lot of players in this boat, but is there any contingency or plan of action to address this? Would it involve refunding the gear for GET, telling the player that all that GET will never be used for Malak, or something else entirely?

Tldr:
- there’s been no mention of players who may not read the forums but spent the stockpiled GET on gear (as they may have believed the Malak shards to be legit)
- realizing that these players exist (and that they may not browse the official forums), maybe it’s time to consider rolling into this Malak shard mess.

Replies

• Entus
    161 posts Member
    edited October 2019
    Options
    Heres a random thought exercise. The people in the boat you are describing do not exist. Being part of discord and other places, people were rushing others to get the shards before CG realized what was going on. Those same people were worried cg could just take their shards back so they complicated the issue by spending GET and money on Malak so it would be more difficult for CG to remove him.

You and I both know this encompasses 99% of the players in that boat. If there is another 1% that lived under a rock without internet access, I get it.
  • Options
    I think that's probably what they were thinking when they added 5000 GET1 to the compensation for lower star Malak owners. Not that that is a perfect compensation, but it's something.
  • Options
    The question is also, what about the players who did not read the forums, did not took advantage of the extra shards from the event, BUT bought their shards AFTER the event started regular with GET because Malak was their until yesterday?!

Will these players also loses their shards AND the GET they spent for?
  • Options
    So. I’ve had a random thought exercise. Will cg attempt to investigate case by case for any player who doesn’t read the forums and spent GET on gear following receipt of unexpected Malak shards?

If we ignore the intent of the event (one can debate if the shards were earned or not until the end of time), the simple fact remains that to that player:
    - the shards displayed as a clear reward for the event (similar to Talzin, Wicket, or Zombie/Spirit events)
    - that player, if they do not read the forums, has only received one ingame mail stating that the event was incorrect, is canceled, and will be rescheduled. Nowhere in that ingame message was the reset or reset timeline mentioned.

Based on these two facts, it is not unreasonable to assume that any player in those circumstances would spend GET1 on gear. Keep in mind that this player would be aware that it took nearly 8 months for Malak to return, so if GAS were to follow a similar patten that player would have plenty of time to farm GET before the GAS return. Additionally, a player focused on finishing Malak this iteration is most likely not the bleeding edge tip of the spear, meaning this player may be focused on continued gearing (or even unlocking of Hoda, Wampa, or GAS pre-reqs).

I’m not saying there’s a lot of players in this boat, but is there any contingency or plan of action to address this? Would it involve refunding the gear for GET, telling the player that all that GET will never be used for Malak, or something else entirely?

Tldr:
    - there’s been no mention of players who may not read the forums but spent the stockpiled GET on gear (as they may have believed the Malak shards to be legit)
    - realizing that these players exist (and that they may not browse the official forums), maybe it’s time to consider rolling into this Malak shard mess.

Why would anyone think the Malak Epic Confrontation would change on the third appearance without any sort of notice or announcement?
  • Options
    Entus wrote: »
    Heres a random thought exercise. The people in the boat you are describing do not exist. Being part of discord and other places, people were rushing others to get the shards before CG realized what was going on. Those same people were worried cg could just take their shards back so they complicated the issue by spending GET and money on Malak so it would be more difficult for CG to remove him.

You and I both know this encompasses 99% of the players in that boat. If there is another 1% that lived under a rock without internet access, I get it.

Neither you nor I are aware of just how many of these types of players exist. The only entity who knows is CG. I do understand that this game is probably dominated by a large, silent majority who does not participate in the forums or Reddit (for example persons who do not speak English).
    Moreover, even if the efforts were not in good faith by the customers (spending GET on gear post-Malak shards), it is difficult to prove intent, especially on this mass scale. CG made a very smart decision to presume innocence on all individuals affected, this is merely taking a scenario and examining it through that lens.

I am merely pointing out that this situation also extends past the simple Malak shards, and affects an entire currency. The rollback should at least consider the use of GET on gear post-Malak, otherwise it may not be “fair” to an player who 7*d Malak then immediately used GET in one of its valid uses.
  • Options

Tldr:

Why would anyone think the Malak Epic Confrontation would change on the third appearance without any sort of notice or announcement?

If you got him the second time and wasn't active here, you might have assumed everyone else got 150 shards the second time too
  • Options

Tldr:

It’s not our mission to validate why people think what they think. I’m not trying to discuss if the event shards are valid, or if those players suspected it was a bug. I merely pointed out that without the forums, all ingame information pointed out that these shards MAY have been valid. As we have no prior epic confrontation history, no one knew what to expect (I understand this is a somewhat obtuse way to think. The point is, some players may have felt this way or may have acted in good faith with the belief that cg did the same).

At the end of the day, a layman could reasonably assume that the listed rewards for an event were intended for that event. Just because some of us are jaded with cg doesn’t make the event (as viewed in a vacuum) have a clearly stated reward structure.

• Options
    5000 GET
  • Options
    thedrjojo wrote: »

Tldr:

If you got him the second time and wasn't active here, you might have assumed everyone else got 150 shards the second time too

Also this. We can’t assume everyone uses these primarily English forums or primarily English based Reddit. The fact that this is a new type of event (and limited to Malak and GAS only), means we simply don’t know what to expect.

• Entus
    161 posts Member
    edited October 2019
    Options
    There current solution covers them. They get their gear back and they can open a ticket, wait 3 months, and get a cookie cutter response about resetting their password like everyone else.

My point is, no one exists in that boat. Everyone knew it was a mistake and if they say otherwise they are a liar or an extreme case in which one or two might exist.
  • Entus
    161 posts Member
    Options
    thedrjojo wrote: »

Tldr:

Also this. We can’t assume everyone uses these primarily English forums or primarily English based Reddit. The fact that this is a new type of event (and limited to Malak and GAS only), means we simply don’t know what to expect.

I hope they primarily use common sense.
  • Options
    So they don't read the forums or reddit, and they don't use discord or in game chat, or they do use discord and in-game chat but no one in the guild had unlocked malak previously, or they never watched a single guide on youtube from people who did it the first time around and then did it the second time around... Ok, let's make all those assumptions.

Did CLS ever give out extra shards? JTR? Chewie? Thrawn? Eveyone keeps talking about the talzin and wicket events, but those events don't give you a 5*+ character for beating it the first time. No one should have thought "oh this is normal" when one of the most powerful toons in the game was able to be taken to 7* just by waiting for a month and doing the event again. There was no precedent for it.
  • Options
    There current solution covers them. They get their gear back and they can open a ticket, wait 3 months, and get a cookie cutter response about resetting their password like everyone else.

My point is, no one exists in that boat. Everyone knew it was a mistake and if they say otherwise they are a liar or an extreme case in which one or two might exist.

Well, i guess you made the point of beeing extremely narrow minded.

1. I live in EU, event went live at 09:00 local time. I checked event and saw I can play it and it gives shards. Why would I expect CG made a mistake?
    2. There was absolutely nothing to make me feel that way. Malak is now a third time, GAS event was over, new meta established.
    3. CG does NOT announce their decisions in advance allways.
    4. So I played and got 150 shards, combined with my 70 and up he went. You know, the time i guess you and the whole continent was sleeping.
    5. I sold surplus of 50 in shard store, because you have no option if you want to enter..
    6. I went to work and from time to time I followed discussions on discord, oeople were surprised, naively glad if that was to be practice...
    7. Late in the afternoon I saw first reaction from CG, that this is a bug.

So, I guess I'm pretty experienced, follow all kinds of info, a senior gamer so to say..
    You say it is my responsibility to double check every event and rewards that CG gives to us, to expect bugs and to act like I am QC or what?

I play this game in good faith besides that I have invested in this game plenty... 4.4 gp roster with all but GAS...
  • Options
    So they don't read the forums or reddit, and they don't use discord or in game chat, or they do use discord and in-game chat but no one in the guild had unlocked malak previously, or they never watched a single guide on youtube from people who did it the first time around and then did it the second time around... Ok, let's make all those assumptions.

Did CLS ever give out extra shards? JTR? Chewie? Thrawn? Eveyone keeps talking about the talzin and wicket events, but those events don't give you a 5*+ character for beating it the first time. No one should have thought "oh this is normal" when one of the most powerful toons in the game was able to be taken to 7* just by waiting for a month and doing the event again. There was no precedent for it.

To answer your first part, I’m not sure anyone I know discussed exactly how many shards they received for Malak (I know I wouldn’t mention not getting shards). Most of that other content is English based, as are a decent number of the primary youtubers.

To the second point, the statements regarding Malak were that his event was distinctly not the same as the legendary events. It might even make sense for some people that the event would let you naturally unlock Malak at 7* in two iterations of the event.

• Keydash1
    503 posts Member
    edited October 2019
    Options

1. I live in EU, event went live at 09:00 local time. I checked event and saw I can play it and it gives shards. Why would I expect CG made a mistake?
    2. There was absolutely nothing to make me feel that way. Malak is now a third time, GAS event was over, new meta established.
    4. So I played and got 150 shards, combined with my 70 and up he went. You know, the time i guess you and the whole continent was sleeping.
    5. I sold surplus of 50 in shard store, because you have no option if you want to enter..

I agree with you that Entus is mistaken, there will certainly be people in OP's boat - people who were hoarding GET to farm Malak once they unlocked him, then spent GET on gear when they saw they didn't need so much.

However, this does not appear to be your particular situation. It looks like you were farming Malak already, and had no GET hoard. Assuming CG succeeds in their rollback, you'll be put back to 5*+70 and actually come out ahead compared to many players with that extra 50 shards worth of shard shop.

I also think the number of players who were hoarding GET and then spent it on gear would be extremely low. Many in that situation would simply save their hoard for GAS. And if they did spend, they would target specific G12 pieces or Stun Guns, and not actually spend that much before the in game announcement regarding the rollback (that is, they would have spent less than 5000).
  • Options

To answer your first part, I’m not sure anyone I know discussed exactly how many shards they received for Malak (I know I wouldn’t mention not getting shards). Most of that other content is English based, as are a decent number of the primary youtubers.

To the second point, the statements regarding Malak were that his event was distinctly not the same as the legendary events. It might even make sense for some people that the event would let you naturally unlock Malak at 7* in two iterations of the event.

How would that make sense though? When has that ever happened in the game? You're basically trying to create this hypothetical person who has no knowledge of SWGOH outside of playing the game itself, and somehow they're concerned enough to gear up Malak instantly with GET because, even though they don't/can't/won't read forums/reddit/watch YT videos, they just throw gear on him with GET that they've saved up... hey, wait a minute, why would they have any GET saved up for gear?? Oh, was it for Malak shards? Hmmm... yeah, that's a real plausible situation.
  • Entus
    161 posts Member
    Options

6. I went to work and from time to time I followed discussions on discord, oeople were surprised, naively glad if that was to be practice...
    7. Late in the afternoon I saw first reaction from CG, that this is a bug.

So, I guess I'm pretty experienced, follow all kinds of info, a senior gamer so to say..
    You say it is my responsibility to double check every event and rewards that CG gives to us, to expect bugs and to act like I am QC or what?

I play this game in good faith besides that I have invested in this game plenty... 4.4 gp roster with all but GAS...

You honestly thought they were giving away Malak shards...for free? With 0 precedent of that ever happening in the history of this game.

Then what you have good sir is a common sense problem. I knew instantly it was a mistake. CG does not simply give the best toon in the game away.
  • Options
    I think the idea of hoarding for GAS may not be super relevant. If a player had enough GET to take a 5* Malak to 7*, they can do that for GAS. But they aren’t going to sit on 70k GET and accumulate. If that player is dedicated enough to hoard get, but not a tip of the spear individual, they probably realize that we’re easily six months away from the next GAS, and can preemptively spend the value of any get they would accumulate in that time.
  • Options
    Then what you have good sir is a common sense problem. I knew instantly it was a mistake. CG does not simply give the best toon in the game away. [/quote]

Common sense tells me that the large majority of the playerbase couldn't care less about discord, Reddit, youtoube or forum content about this game. For most people this is at best a casual game, a lunch break filler or something they do on their 20 min train ride to work cuz you know, they like star wars and stuff.
    Do you think CG would charge what they do for their ingame goodies if they had 2 Million dedicated players? They might have a 100k, of wich 60k are Hardcore F2P's.
    As soon as they roll back this forum will drown in threads of brand new forum Accounts asking why their malak got demoted, i am sure of that.
  • Options
    I think the idea of hoarding for GAS may not be super relevant. If a player had enough GET to take a 5* Malak to 7*, they can do that for GAS. But they aren’t going to sit on 70k GET and accumulate. If that player is dedicated enough to hoard get, but not a tip of the spear individual, they probably realize that we’re easily six months away from the next GAS, and can preemptively spend the value of any get they would accumulate in that time.

That's true to some extent. Anyone planning to have 6 months to farm/gear for GAS round 2 is setting themselves up for disappointment though. Plan for 4 months, maybe 3, to be safe. Also, even though they can burn much of their stash and still be ready for GAS, it would be hard to burn more than 5000 in 2 days - especially for someone disciplined enough to hoard 70k GET.
  • Entus
    161 posts Member
    Options
    Naver666 wrote: »
    Then what you have good sir is a common sense problem. I knew instantly it was a mistake. CG does not simply give the best toon in the game away.

Common sense tells me that the large majority of the playerbase couldn't care less about discord, Reddit, youtoube or forum content about this game. For most people this is at best a casual game, a lunch break filler or something they do on their 20 min train ride to work cuz you know, they like star wars and stuff.
    Do you think CG would charge what they do for their ingame goodies if they had 2 Million dedicated players? They might have a 100k, of wich 60k are Hardcore F2P's.
    As soon as they roll back this forum will drown in threads of brand new forum Accounts asking why their malak got demoted, i am sure of that.
    [/quote]

Closer to about 250k players. If this is just a filler for the vast majority of the player base, it shouldnt bother them very much when its rolled back. Just a 10 minute filler after all.
  • Naver666
    292 posts Member
    edited October 2019
    Options
    I didn't say they don't care about their ingame experience / Progress. I said they don't care about all that 3rd Party or "community" stuff.
    Ingame Notification that this event wasn't suppoesed to give out shards came what, 5 hours after launch? And even then the event kept going on for quite some time.
    All i'm saying is i'm sick of all that "taking advantage of a bug" talking. They messed it up (again) and it's not our fault. If they rolback, fine. But better make sure something like this doesn't happen again and if they take back the shards they have the responsibility to refund everything that was spend due to their fault. $, GET, and gear
  • Entus
    161 posts Member
    Options
    Naver666 wrote: »
    I didn't say they don't care about their ingame experience / Progress. I said they don't care about all that 3rd Party or "community" stuff.
    Ingame Notification that this event wasn't suppoesed to give out shards came what, 5 hours after launch? And even then the event kept going on for quite some time.
    All i'm saying is i'm sick of all that "taking advantage of a bug" talking. They messed it up (again) and it's not our fault. If they rolback, fine. But better make sure something like this doesn't happen again and if they take back the shards they have the responsibility to refund everything that was spend due to their fault. $, GET, and gear

I agree with everything you said, except the last part.. And thats because Im being honest. Most of the people that grabbed his shards and then spent money knew 100% it was a bug. This is just as much their fault as cgs and the fact that some wont acknowledge that makes it difficult to have a conversation. Thats why, I assume, CG is keeping quiet here. There is literally nothing they could say or do that will not **** a bunch of people off. If this community could engage in some honest discord, instead of whining about everything that happens and plays victim, they may be willing to engage the community.

I havent seen a single solution to this problem that wouldnt **** a ton of people off. And when that occurs, the best thing to do is keep quiet. Married men understand this. So does CG.
  • Options

Okay mr. potato, CLS/JTR are Hero Journeys. They do not reappear once you've completed them. Thrawn as a legendary returns as a MYTHIC tier, once you've 7*'d him. Talzin and Wicket are just run of the mill events that reward character shards for tier 1 and then zeta mats for tier 2. You don't seem educated enough on the subject to start making nonsensical complaints like this.

The point is, CG released the event and people played it. It said plain as day "earn Malak shards." People who did the event are not cheaters or exploiting the game. On top of that, it took some 12+ hours before CG said anything and took any action (almost entirely from the playerbase uproar, not from any testing or findings of their own). CG never should have let a mistake like that slip through the cracks, that is obvious. But to make it seem like some of the players were being shady by playing the game as CG presented it to us.... well that's a great way to inflame your players, as the last several days have been pretty clearly depicting.
  • Options

Okay mr. potato, CLS/JTR are Hero Journeys. They do not reappear once you've completed them. Thrawn as a legendary returns as a MYTHIC tier, once you've 7*'d him. Talzin and Wicket are just run of the mill events that reward character shards for tier 1 and then zeta mats for tier 2. You don't seem educated enough on the subject to start making nonsensical complaints like this.

The point is, CG released the event and people played it. It said plain as day "earn Malak shards." People who did the event are not cheaters or exploiting the game. On top of that, it took some 12+ hours before CG said anything and took any action (almost entirely from the playerbase uproar, not from any testing or findings of their own). CG never should have let a mistake like that slip through the cracks, that is obvious. But to make it seem like some of the players were being shady by playing the game as CG presented it to us.... well that's a great way to inflame your players, as the last several days have been pretty clearly depicting.

Oh I'm not educated enough, but it's somehow passable for an event to magically give away shards on the third iteration that it never gave away on the second iteration, and that all the "educated" players shouldn't have thought otherwise? Ok, sure. That makes a lot of sense.

Since you can't seem to grasp a simple concept, I'll spell it out for you; no character unlock event that I can remember has EVER awarded extra shards. Period. The only ones I can remember that are replayable without being mythic are marquee events, and you don't get extra shards playing those battles over for practice. Mythic legendaries don't give extra shards, even though the first level of the mythic event is essentially the final tier for the regular event.

I'm not saying any of the players are cheaters or exploited anything. I just find it hard to believe anyone out there
    A) truly believed you could replay the Malak event to 7* him since it hadn't happened before
    B) truly believed the epic confrontation would have such a major change without an announcement
    C) would spend money to gear and relic Malak in a few short hours unless they knew it was a mistake and were trying to "force CG to not do anything
    D) truly, 100%, has never looked up anything SWGOH related outside of the app itself and then got extra shards to take malak to 7* and then immediately dropped thousands of crystals/hundreds of dollars to gear and relic him just because

Blame CG for whatever you want, I don't really care, but some notion that correcting a bug is a "punishment" and that players "rightfully didn't know it wasn't intentional" is laughable at best. This had never happened before, not even with the second Malak event.