Think I might be stuck...

Prev1
Been playing for a few months now. I am focusing on Phoenix squad but I think I may be stuck.

Here's a link to my roster. https://swgoh.gg/p/511976973/characters/

I can't seem to get anyone past gear level 8 and even with Hera, Zeb and Kanan @ 7 stars, Ezra and Chopper are 6 I can't complete the Galactic War anymore. I get to the last battle and get wrecked. I hover around 900 ranking in arena.

I thought by switching my priorities to an Empire team I could do better but no dice. Just not sure where to go from here or maybe I don't know exactly how to play with my current roster? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Replies

• Options
    Oh, the gear problem. The main problem is that you're stuck at a starter guild. For a lot of Gear lv8 gear, they can only be farmed in raids and TB. And for that you need a good guild. The officers in my guild's talking about recruiting players lately. If you want I can ask them if we can add you.
  • Options
    As for galactic war, a very important concept is the pre-loaded TM. After each battle, not only your HP, Protection and cooldowns are saved for the next battle, but also the turn meter. So if you load your Empire team with like 80-90%TM in the early easy nodes (do this by using Phoenix and swapping in 1-2 empire at a time, just make sure the two Imperials end the battle with high TM, swap them out until the last node, then swap in other Imperials and repeat the process). Then all your Imperials would have so much TM that they basically get a bonus turn and you can just start your turn meter train straight away.
  • Options
    For the general direction, you're doing great right now. Continue gearing up the Phoenix until you get Thrawn to seven stars. Then you can either work on CLS (you have the empire toons for R2); or you can start working on Padme, who will be more difficult, but she's one of the top-tier teams even in very old shards. You already have Anakin, Ahsoka, and Yoda. Together with C3 or General Kenobi (you need a good guild for that) they're very, very formidable. You need a G12 Separatist team to get her to 7 stars.
    And finally, MODS!!! Almost all your mods are terrible. Come on, read some of the online guides, they're amazing. With good mods you can easily double the value of your squad.
  • DeMoDragon69
    15 posts Member
    edited May 2020
    Options
    For the general direction, you're doing great right now. Continue gearing up the Phoenix until you get Thrawn to seven stars. Then you can either work on CLS (you have the empire toons for R2); or you can start working on Padme, who will be more difficult, but she's one of the top-tier teams even in very old shards. You already have Anakin, Ahsoka, and Yoda. Together with C3 or General Kenobi (you need a good guild for that) they're very, very formidable. You need a G12 Separatist team to get her to 7 stars.
    And finally, MODS!!! Almost all your mods are terrible. Come on, read some of the online guides, they're amazing. With good mods you can easily double the value of your squad.

The only thing I disagree with in this is the gear requirements for the padme lineup. You only need a gear 11 Nute gunray seperatist team to get padme.I actually used a gear 10 Nute as the leader and everyone else as a gear 11. I would say Nute Gunray, Dooku, Assaj, Magna Guard, and either Grevious, or Geonosian Spy. Nute is a beasttttt
  • Options

The only thing I disagree with in this is the gear requirements for the padme lineup. You only need a gear 11 Nute gunray seperatist team to get padme.I actually used a gear 10 Nute as the leader and everyone else as a gear 11. I would say Nute Gunray, Dooku, Assaj, Magna Guard, and either Grevious, or Geonosian Spy. Nute is a beasttttt
    Oh my apologies you're right I just checked more videos. I used Geos. I guess that's the problem
  • Options
    Thanks for the replies. Been reading about mods today. Looks like some guys have been farming mods for months with no luck. I'll keep reading to see if I can figure it out. Seems overly complicated.

I don't mind spending a few dollars here and there but the $100 hyper drive bundle seems ridiculous to me.

I wouldn't mind trying a decent guild to see how much faster I could progress because at this point I don't see how to move forward no matter how much I play without paying.
  • Skies439
    60 posts Member
    Options
    Farm bastilla and max out yoda. Yoda is the main differences in the early game. Empire won't hold for the end game. You already got anakin, ahsoka and yoda. Max out those 3 and also anakin, ahsoka ships.
    Use bastilla lead with ezra/yoda/anakin/ahsoka or swap one with kanan. I just started another account and finish galactic war daily. And arena top 500. ships in the top 50.

I use geos to get padme cos i can use their 3 ships as well.
    This is my current account
    https://swgoh.gg/p/848692196/
    And i just started another one still in level 80
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    Options
    As DesertFox also mentioned, you really should join a real guild. An guild with high level of activity. One that runs heroic tier pit raids and preferably also heroic tier tank raids. That along with territory battles and wars will increase your gear income significantly.

Regarding your roster:

If you take Ezra and Chopper to 7* you will be able to also take EP and Thrawn to 7*. Those two along with Vader, Tarkin and a 5th empire character will help you unlock R2D2. Add Leia, Old Ben, ST Han and Farmboy Luke yo unlock CLS - your first major mile stone. You will need them all at 7*.

I see you're farming jedi for GM Yoda as well. Luminara is not really worth it. You will need Old Ben, Bastilla Shan and Jolee at some point any way, so farming those 3 (along with Ezra and Kanan) you have the 5 jedi required for GM Yoda. Ahsoka and JKA are great too. JC might be OK still, since he pilots a shop which does well midgame.

Biggs' ship is great. For your ships a milestone is to have 5 non-capital dark side shops at minimum 4* and 8 non-capital shops of any alignment at 5* to gain access to the zeta ability material challenge. Another milestone is farming rebel shops to unlock the Chimaera, and bountyhunters shops to unlock Han's Falcon.

You will need a team of scoundrels for the credit heists which will reward credits that help build your roster. ST Han and the BH pilots (especially Boba Fett) are great choices.

• Options
    Any tips on finding a real guild?

Took Ezra to 7* today, 50 more shards to get chopper there. I've been using Dooku as the 5th empire character. Should I switch him out for someone else?

I can't do anything with my roster of ships. Most of the time I can't even win in fleet arena.

I started farming Old Ben and I'll start on Bastilla asap.

Thanks again guys. I figured there had to be a better way to play. I finally hit the 50 milestone in GW today, so that's one good thing. lol

• Options
    Credits are a huge problem as well. Even if I farmed good mods , I wouldn't have the credits to upgrade them. I've been selling mods to get credits to level up characters. I don't have much left after that
  • ThodaJesey
    6 posts Member
    edited May 2020
    Options
    Concerning mods. I thought each shape had certain values, but you can have different colors, letters, primary and secondary values. Is it better to get speed on a certain shaped mod or does it matter?

I'm a network engineer by trade and it took me less time to learn how to setup and configure VPN's and firewalls. ugh....
    Post edited by ThodaJesey on
  • Desertfox1024
    207 posts Member
    edited May 2020
    Options
    Skies439 wrote: »
    Farm bastilla and max out yoda. Yoda is the main differences in the early game. Empire won't hold for the end game. You already got anakin, ahsoka and yoda. Max out those 3 and also anakin, ahsoka ships.
    Use bastilla lead with ezra/yoda/anakin/ahsoka or swap one with kanan. I just started another account and finish galactic war daily. And arena top 500. ships in the top 50.

Arena top 500, ships 50?! You got to be kidding! This is a shard after the launch of the hyperdrive bundle! to achieve ship top 50 it's impossible because top 70 are all hyperdrives. Proved in three different accounts. It is possible only if you start focusing on ships starting from level 20
  • Options
    ThodaJesey wrote: »
    Concerning mods. I thought each shape had certain values, but you can have different colors, letters, primary and secondary values. Is it better to get speed on a certain shaped mod or does it matter?

I'm a network engineer by trade and it took me less time to learn how to setup and configure VPN's and firewalls. ugh....

For primary speed mods, the only place you can get them are the arrows. for others aim for speed substats.
  • Options
    ThodaJesey wrote: »
    Any tips on finding a real guild?

Took Ezra to 7* today, 50 more shards to get chopper there. I've been using Dooku as the 5th empire character. Should I switch him out for someone else?

I can't do anything with my roster of ships. Most of the time I can't even win in fleet arena.

I started farming Old Ben and I'll start on Bastilla asap.

Thanks again guys. I figured there had to be a better way to play. I finally hit the 50 milestone in GW today, so that's one good thing. lol

For guilds, go find one in this forum. Most of them are good.
    For 5th empire character, go for TFP if you aim at R2 and CLS. Otherwise Dooku's fine.
    For ships Chimera lead; Ghost, Vader, Biggs starting; Phantom, TIE Silencer, Ahsoka reinforce is solid and tested in both 2019 and 2020 accounts. Anakin's great as well.
    If you're going for Old Ben and Bastila, try out this arena team: Bastila Lead, Old Ben, Ezra, Thrawn, Palpatine. Yoda's a more than ideal substitute for Palp or Old Ben. It holds the record of defeating zNihilus lead sith that had 63% more power. I had the speed advantage though.
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    Options
    Alternatively use the in-game guild search feature. Aim for a 50 million+ GP guild and hope the one you join has a high level of activity. If the first guild doesn't suit you move on to the next (there's a limit for how often you can do this every day).
    Some guilds may have a set of rules which often include participating in guild events, and contributing with up to 600 tickets daily - but it varies from guild to guild.

Dooku's not Empire. He's Sith and Separatist. Although he has some synergies with EP and Vader through his Sith tag and shocks he won't be available for unlocking R2D2.
  • Options
    Skies439 wrote: »

Arena top 500, ships 50?! You got to be kidding! This is a shard after the launch of the hyperdrive bundle! to achieve ship top 50 it's impossible because top 70 are all hyperdrives. Proved in three different accounts. It is possible only if you start focusing on ships starting from level 20

Not necessarily. My ship shard has 16 hyperdrives in the top 50. (I started in February). I was getting top 50 easily ftp. Same with top 500 in arena. Top of arena is impossible though. I have a kraken with both GLs in my arena, the rest of the top 50 is reliced revans, padmes, geos, etc.

I'm no longer ftp, but 500/50 is attainable ftp
  • Skies439
    60 posts Member
    Options
    agqrggll0xtb.jpg
    @Desertfox1024 arena not in top 500 currently still got 4 hrs to get to top 500. Im start attacking just half an hour b4.
  • Options
    Arena top 500 is easy if you spend 50 crystals to get 10 attempts like once two weeks. In my two March F2P accounts, one of them is 330 and the first order account often varies from 200-1000 and I have to time the climbs. Ship arena though... @snowbird you're lucky. The worst fleet shard as far as I know is the early March shard, the one that had like more than 80 hypers. Late March shards are better though.
  • Options
    It sounds like you're doing better in Galactic War but I wanted to add to DesertFox1024's post. The AI in this game uses special abilities right away 90% of the time and the last 3 nodes in Galactic War are suppose to be the hardest. One thing I use to do was sacrifice my level 1 characters in these nodes on matches I struggled with. I would load a team of five level 1 characters and the AI would use their special abilities on them. This allows you to take out important characters on the enemy squad before their abilities come off cooldown.

I also want to note that Jedi Bastila (not Sith) is amazing in Galactic War because her protection up refreshes between every battle. Once I got her as my leader I never struggled with Galactic War again.
  • Options
    I forgot to mention my team. I use Bastila lead, GMY, Old Ben, Luminara and Qui-Gon Jinn.
  • Options
    It sounds like you're doing better in Galactic War but I wanted to add to DesertFox1024's post. The AI in this game uses special abilities right away 90% of the time and the last 3 nodes in Galactic War are suppose to be the hardest. One thing I use to do was sacrifice my level 1 characters in these nodes on matches I struggled with. I would load a team of five level 1 characters and the AI would use their special abilities on them. This allows you to take out important characters on the enemy squad before their abilities come off cooldown.

I also want to note that Jedi Bastila (not Sith) is amazing in Galactic War because her protection up refreshes between every battle. Once I got her as my leader I never struggled with Galactic War again.

Oh my I never thought about that. Going to try it out in my late March account right now.
  • Options

I just tested it out in 36 battles. It mainly depends on what type of team you're using. The main problem is that when you send in the trash toons to waste their special, you're also giving them pre-loaded TM. This way you lose you enormous speed advantage, which is always crucial in Galactic war.
    So if you're using a power team, which means a team that just hits and hits and hits, feel free, because ruining their specials make your life way easier.
    But if you're running a control team, (i.e. TM oriented, relies on debuffs), never, ever to this. Losing your pre-loaded TM advantage means you can't stun all or most of them (in the case of Dooku) before they start killing you. Don't forget that the last node's brutal and your pre-loaded TM is the only reason Galactic war is even playable.
  • EA_Joz
    4056 posts EA Staff (retired)
    Options
    Joining a good guild makes a huge difference. I was in your shoes when I first started, found a really good guild and that changed the whole landscape for me.
  • Options
    Probably the best team you can have for Galactic War at your level is Geonosian BroodAlpha-led Geos.

You don't even have to have a full squad, just Brood Alpha (L), Spy, Soldier + 1 more (I would go with Sun Fac b/c he has a ship).

The last toon can be Poggle, if you have him, but can also be someone who uses stealth and has decent self-heal (even just high HealthSteal). NightSister Acolyte and Princess Leia and Dooku are all fine choices.

Remember that whatever Turn Meter you have at the end of one battle you get to start with in the next battle that character fights in, even if it's not actually the next battle. So you should give Turn Meter to a few backup squads on Nodes 1-3, where it's easy and they won't lose much (if any) health or protection. That way when you hit the limit of what your Phoenix squad (or your Geos, later) can do, you have toons with pre-loaded turn meter to help.

BroodAlpha Geos are also excellent for other things, like GAC. They're not spectacular for Arena, but they're a lot better than Phoenix, even backed up by Dooku instead of a 5th Geonosian.
  • Options
    The enemy team in GW getting pre-loaded TM doesn't matter if they don't have special abilities. They will use their basic abilities on you and that's it (if you can sacrifice enough level 1s). Before I had Jedi Bastila, my team was really awful and this strategy was important for me to win. My main team was: Barris, Captain Plasma, Clone Wars Chewbacca, Luminara, and Darth Sidious. I would swap out Captain Plasma with Jawa when I needed more damage. My full clear rate was 1 every 3 days or so. It depended on what meta teams I fought and I had to use the retreat strategy as well (didn't like the outcome, retreat, move characters around in the squad, and try again). Moving characters around in your squad changes the outcome of the battle in several different possible ways: the same moves will land instead of resisting, the AI will focus a different squad member, and what abilities the AI chooses to use change as well.

Background on me: I played the game in the first year but quit until several months ago. A lot of the synergy teams we have today didn't exist back then.
  • Options
    Oh, also. I got enough wins by the time I hit Level 85 that I was able to sim it right away (I think I had half of the wins needed before I started using Jedi Bastila).
  • Desertfox1024
    207 posts Member
    edited May 2020
    Options
    That thing about no need to worry about pre-loaded TM applies for the situation where you squad is Bastila lead or has protection regen; or in cases before Gear 8, healers also do. In these cases it's better to get rid of their specials.
    But when you don't have these, every single HP is precious. I prefer heavy control teams with lots of stuns and ability blocks and fears and TM reduction, and attempt to get out of a battle by keeping the enemy controlled and suffering 0 to 2 basic hits (heavy control teams can easily take care of the special abitilies with ability block and cooldown increase). In this case any enemy that even takes a turn can ruin everything. I don't want even basics hitting me; the gear disadvantage is often too large and even basics deal considerable damage.
  • Desertfox1024
    207 posts Member
    edited May 2020
    Options
    By the way I've ran Phoenix; Phoenix with Thrawn; Mace lead Jedi with Lumi(sucks); Bastila lead Phoenix (actually works); Bastila lead with Yoda; Bastila lead with Thrawn and Palp; Empire; Ackbar lead rebel; First order with Sith trooper; first order without Sith Trooper; Nute Lead Separatist; Dooku Lead separatists; Geo bugs; and Dooku lead with BSF. In multiple accounts in GW. Before level 85
  • Options
    I finally hit 50 wins in GW. Once I reach level 85 I'll be able to sim right away. My empire team was a huge help in getting past the last couple battles. So happy I hit 50 wins before level 80.
    I've ran into Ahsoka and the clones. They whip me bad. :)
  • Options
    I also found a great guild.