Construction Delays: What does this mean?

Prev1
MasterSeedy
5046 posts Member
So, of course I'm disappointed with the lack of interesting content that I can play on the regular. I don't say that there's no new content, because yes, even if more than 99% of the player base can't access it, a GL even is new content. Likewise Assault Battles challenge tiers are new content - just not the content I'm looking for.

But if this "Construction Delays" post honestly represents what's going on here, then rewriting the game's code to be more stabile and creating new tools for making future content development easier and quicker can only mean one thing: they expect to do enough new content development over the long haul to make this investment now pay for itself over time.

I know that many people will be skeptical about whether this can happen or is likely to happen. But every organization has a 5-year plan and whatever, but mostly it's just aspirational. It means very little in practice.

So... let's suppose they're actually spending money on upgrading the base code and the development tools. Businesses don't do that kind of thing out of the kindness of their hearts. That's for non-profits.

So my take is that this news, as frustrating as another delay might be, is long-term good (again, assuming it's true).

Any other takes, especially from people with experience in programming?

Replies

• ShaggyB
    2390 posts Member
    Options
    It means they are using the extra time, aka the delay, to be constructive, aka do something.

Whether you believe it or not.... thats up to you
  • Options
    They are making a program that will allow them to cookie cutter different content. So the things that you see are all different, but from the code end it is all the same inputs, outputs, and variables. Like, why can't we have another Pit Raid but instead of the pit it is that crazy monster that was released on the Millenium Falcon in Episode VIII (forgive if wrong Episode). They shouldn't have to change much to make that raid just new cinema and images, but they do for some reason. They are fixing that.

Oh, you guys want a new raid? Copy/paste code, load new images, set new parameters, don't do any testing but here you go. Bam! New content.

What would be really cool is if they started doing 1 time events and 1 time rewards, and I'm not talking silly profile pics of P Leia.
  • Potato211
    473 posts Member
    Options
    What would be really cool is if they started doing 1 time events and 1 time rewards, and I'm not talking silly profile pics of P Leia.

That one was a long time coming
  • kalidor
    2121 posts Member
    Options
    The original code, written in 2016, probably didn't scale up as the game developed. Graphics-wise, they want higher poly counts, better shading, and more animations. My guess is that the display code has a few non-trivial limitations that need to be resolved before that can happen (since they can't ask everyone to go out and buy a new device).

As for scripting, they've added a lot more status effects and interactions over the years. We've already seen a lot of the consequences of that not working right - game hangs, unintended interactions, bugs. I'm guessing they're past critical mass on addressing this and need to do something about it yesterday before they can pile on more, lest it all collaspe.

It doesn't seem like a good situation. Developers never want to be in the position that they're forced to stop adding features because the foundation needs work. Working on base architecture stuff is never much fun or rewarding, and they probably ignored it for longer than they should have because of other pressures. Hopefully this works out for the better, because I really do enjoy playing this game :smile:
    xSWCr - Nov '15 shard - swgoh.gg kalidor-m
  • Options
    They have to rebuild the one laptop they all use
  • Monel
    2786 posts Member
    Options
    They are making a program that will allow them to cookie cutter different content. So the things that you see are all different, but from the code end it is all the same inputs, outputs, and variables. Like, why can't we have another Pit Raid but instead of the pit it is that crazy monster that was released on the Millenium Falcon in Episode VIII (forgive if wrong Episode). They shouldn't have to change much to make that raid just new cinema and images, but they do for some reason. They are fixing that.

Oh, you guys want a new raid? Copy/paste code, load new images, set new parameters, don't do any testing but here you go. Bam! New content.

P Leia? I don't remember her ever going to the bathroom. Luke however was in a diaper in ESB. Ooooo, maybe that is who the major character is Diaper Luke!
  • MasterSeedy
    5046 posts Member
    Options
    They have to rebuild the one laptop they all use

You know, this would actually explain a LOT.
  • Nauros
    5429 posts Member
    Options
    The problem is that they have been talking about this tool for new content for half a year now and explicitly said that the RA is coming this month. Now they repeat the same thing with more words and delay another month. Don't get me wrong, making new tools and fixing the spaghetti code is great, but it's dragging on. There's a limit to how much one's patience can be stretched.
  • Gifafi
    6017 posts Member
    Options
    Nauros wrote: »
    The problem is that they have been talking about this tool for new content for half a year now and explicitly said that the RA is coming this month. Now they repeat the same thing with more words and delay another month. Don't get me wrong, making new tools and fixing the spaghetti code is great, but it's dragging on. There's a limit to how much one's patience can be stretched.

Or is there
    Maybe End Game isn't for you
  • MaruMaru
    3338 posts Member
    Options
    They are making a death star, so it takes years in the making and planetwide resources.
  • Monel
    2786 posts Member
    edited May 2020
    Options
    Gifafi wrote: »

Or is there

3e7ytiwdqn3g.jpg

Even Plastic Man has his limits!
  • LordDirt
    5011 posts Member
    edited May 2020
    Options
    Double post
    Why wasn't Cobb Vanth shards a reward for the Krayt Dragon raid? Why wasn't Endor Gear Luke shards a reward for the Speeder Bike raid?
  • LordDirt
    5011 posts Member
    Options
    4dcom9kavhwx.jpeg
    Why wasn't Cobb Vanth shards a reward for the Krayt Dragon raid? Why wasn't Endor Gear Luke shards a reward for the Speeder Bike raid?
  • Exletion
    649 posts Member
    Options
    Honestly, the fact they are being vocal and honest with what they are doing is incredibly refreshing. This has been my favorite game for years and I hope this time they are taking does wonders for the game as a whole.
  • raybron99
    129 posts Member
    Options
    NikoSWGoH wrote: »
    So they made plans, they validated them and started the construction.
    The construction is delayed.
    Now what I fail to understand is why they still can't talk about those plans...

This is what I don't understand. The road ahead is just a preview. Why wouldn't you just tell us what's coming? Why is there this inane need to be super secretive? I know features and content can be delayed for obvious reasons, but why the hell is the preview of the stuff delayed?
  • LordDirt
    5011 posts Member
    Options
    Because people would hold them to it
  • Nauros
    5429 posts Member
    Options
    The later they tell us, the less time we have to prepare. Simple as that. Especially if the major character is legendary/journey/epic, which it probably is.
  • Nauros
    5429 posts Member
    Options
    ZAP wrote: »
    The later they tell us, the less time we have to prepare. Simple as that. Especially if the major character is legendary/journey/epic, which it probably is.

Lovely.

Another grind

There's always a grind. That's the nature of the game.
  • Legend91
    2441 posts Member
    Options

Gonna be Baby Yoda because he's such a beloved character. Release him and all the "I'll NEVER spend again on this crap!" people will go "OMG it's Baby Yoda! He's sooo cute! Here CG take ALL my money!!!" and all the last months will be forgotten.
    Legend#6873 | YouTube | swgoh.gg
  • Nauros
    5429 posts Member
    Options
    Legend91 wrote: »

Gonna be Baby Yoda because he's such a beloved character. Release him and all the "I'll NEVER spend again on this crap!" people will go "OMG it's Baby Yoda! He's sooo cute! Here CG take ALL my money!!!" and all the last months will be forgotten.

Not sure about that. Something to tie up the Mando releases can be expected, but I'm not sure if they would let us kill a child. A badass, force-choking, rhino-levitating child, but a child nonetheless. I think full-beskar Mando is more likely, possibly with the Child as an untargetable summon.
  • Turasleon
    179 posts Member
    Options
    Legend91 wrote: »

Not sure about that. Something to tie up the Mando releases can be expected, but I'm not sure if they would let us kill a child. A badass, force-choking, rhino-levitating child, but a child nonetheless. I think full-beskar Mando is more likely, possibly with the Child as an untargetable summon.

Personally I could see a character type that can't attack or be attacked, just a hardcore support. Like he's immune to damage but can still get hit with status ailments (so similar to Hoda, except he can't be damaged), and is defeated when the rest of the party goes down.