GAC Playback Feature

Wrathe
205 posts Member
I would love an option to be added to allow for GAC playback.

No video needs stored, so it shouldn't be much space or traffic increase.
Each fight can be stored as a text audit log of actions. Then use that log to enable the client to playback each fight. Both Offense and Defense open to replay.

I had the opportunity to play against a Streamer in GAC last night, and it was a really neat experience to see how my teams actually performed on Defense. (It was also a cool experience meeting a Streamer and his community; shout out to Gridan and his followers)

Anyways, only the audit log needs to be transferred to the client, all the rendering would happen client side so I'm imaging it being very little overhead.

Thoughts?

Replies

• Rath_Tarr
    4944 posts Member
    Options
    It would be neat, though it might take rather more effort than you think.

If you don't mind me asking, who was the streamer and did you coordinate with them to both attack on stream?
  • ImaSmakya
    1068 posts Member
    Options
    Rath_Tarr wrote: »

If you don't mind me asking, who was the streamer and did you coordinate with them to both attack on stream?

Gonna take a stab and say it was Gridan.
    https://swgoh.gg/p/319514721/
    DISCLAIMER: Post is subject to change.
  • Wrathe
    205 posts Member
    Options
    Rath_Tarr wrote: »

Hehe, as ImaSmakya caught, it was Gridan (it was in my OP). :)

No, I didn't realize he was going to stream it until after my attack was done, or that might have been neat to pre-record footage of each other's attacks and sharing it after the fact. I wouldn't want to share until after since knowledge of what each other use on Offense is secret until after the match, and should be for strategy concerns.
  • Rath_Tarr
    4944 posts Member
    Options
    Doh! Can't read this afternoon.

If anyone else finds themselves facing a streamer, I highly recommend contacting them. Those guys love to have live opponents because it makes things more interesting and fun all round. :)
  • Edison
    154 posts Member
    Options
    This reminds me of Halo when you could go into the theater and watch every battle, from every angle, with full cam capabilities to move around and check out different angles. That was seriously one of the coolest features of a game, ever. But the best part was it really was just stored data that was recreated as needed in the game itself. I remember having my mind blown by it, and now years later I'm still mindblown.
  • Nikoms565
    14242 posts Member
    Options
    Edison wrote: »
    This reminds me of Halo when you could go into the theater and watch every battle, from every angle, with full cam capabilities to move around and check out different angles. That was seriously one of the coolest features of a game, ever. But the best part was it really was just stored data that was recreated as needed in the game itself. I remember having my mind blown by it, and now years later I'm still mindblown.

This. The technology and ability was present decades ago. It wouldn't be that difficult to implement here - especially in what amounts to a 5 minute, turn-based game with 10-12 peices.
    In game name: Lucas Gregory FORMER PLAYER - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

In game guild: TNR Uprising
    I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
    *This space left intentionally blank*
  • Yado101
    144 posts Member
    Options
    This would be amazing. Idk how some of my defensive squads do because I don’t use them anywhere other than on defense in GAC and TW
  • Antario
    996 posts Member
    Options
    It's a nice idea, but I'm not sure it is that simple as using a text log of actions. You also need to consider storing the mods data of each character for the client to playback (basically auto replay the fight). And what about RNG data?
  • Rath_Tarr
    4944 posts Member
    Options
    A log could give you the actions and associated RNG results. There's a fair chance that's part of what they use to detect cheating.

The other parts needed are, as you say, snapshots of all toons / ships involved in the battle, which must be stored server-side and retrievable by the appropriate game clients and also a way to replay that battle on the game client in a view-only mode, using the captured data.

Even if they do capture battle logs today, there would be a considerable amount of client and server work required to enable us to replay it. If they don't capture battle logs today then it would be even more work.

It would be cool though.
  • Wrathe
    205 posts Member
    edited July 2020
    Options
    Antario wrote: »
    It's a nice idea, but I'm not sure it is that simple as using a text log of actions. You also need to consider storing the mods data of each character for the client to playback (basically auto replay the fight). And what about RNG data?

That data is all static, once the match is played. Ever see a log of chess games? Like professional chess players memorize previous game logs and can recite the entire game. Fundamental part of computerized chess are these "transposition tables".

These tables are just logs of simple text that relay positions and actions taken. So if you read the log (or memorize it) you can replay the log and see the game develop as the players saw it develop.

No RNG occurs, as it's just playback of events, like watching a recorded Soccer game. Just because you're re-watching it doesn't mean the game outcome will be any different. There's no new events to occur, it's already happened.

The amount of data required to store text logs, even at massive scale, is negligible. The work would be more about coding the feature itself.

We already have an API to export out results w/ minimal data. We see this on SWGoH w/ everyone's GAC History. It would be expanding the data exported out and adding in an interface to read the exported data and play it back locally.