General Question about running a Guild and removing people

Stenun
851 posts Member
I've just had to remove someone from our Guild and it has made me curious as to how other Guilds run things and when they might remove people.

Our system is that we issue an Official Warning for:
a) scoring 0 in a Territory Battle despite being online during the period it is on
b) signing up to a Territory War and then scoring 0 points
c) breaking our Raid rules

Then if someone gets 3 Official Warnings, they're out of the Guild.
Additionally, if someone is ABOUT to get their third Official Warning then we might remove them at the last possible minute to stop them getting the reward for the activity. For example, last Territory Battle we were less then 1M away from getting another star and a Guild Member with a GP of 2.5M had not participated at all for the entire TB. So as this was their third offence, we removed them from the Guild when there was 30 seconds left of the TB.

How do you run things? Do you approve of removing someone with 30 seconds to go? Do you even issue Warnings or is it one offence and out? etc.

Replies

• UdalCuain
    5011 posts Member
    Options
    Stenun wrote: »
    I've just had to remove someone from our Guild and it has made me curious as to how other Guilds run things and when they might remove people.

Our system is that we issue an Official Warning for:
    a) scoring 0 in a Territory Battle despite being online during the period it is on
    b) signing up to a Territory War and then scoring 0 points
    c) breaking our Raid rules

Then if someone gets 3 Official Warnings, they're out of the Guild.
    Additionally, if someone is ABOUT to get their third Official Warning then we might remove them at the last possible minute to stop them getting the reward for the activity. For example, last Territory Battle we were less then 1M away from getting another star and a Guild Member with a GP of 2.5M had not participated at all for the entire TB. So as this was their third offence, we removed them from the Guild when there was 30 seconds left of the TB.

How do you run things? Do you approve of removing someone with 30 seconds to go? Do you even issue Warnings or is it one offence and out? etc.

Depends. Did you reach out to the player during the TB? What response did they give?
  • Stenun
    851 posts Member
    Options
    UdalCuain wrote: »
    Depends. Did you reach out to the player during the TB? What response did they give?

The first Official Warning is posted in the general Guild Chat.
    The second Official Warning is posted in the general Guild Chat AND a private message is sent to the person concerned and I make sure they see it.
    After that, it's up to them.

But now that you ask the question, I do wonder about maybe reaching out to the player but then again if they're on two Warnings, do I reach out to them for every TB after that forever more?
  • Ltswb1
    550 posts Member
    Options
    I have zero issue with cutting people right before rewards if they have been repeatedly warned. By that point their actions are either intentional or they are so apathetic that it shouldn’t matter to them anyway. Scoring points in TB and TW involve about 15 seconds worth of effort. If they can’t even bring themselves to do that....good riddance.
  • Options
    Cut that rebel loose.
  • Gifafi
    6017 posts Member
    Options
    Stenun wrote: »

I was with you up until this last part. seems super petty. If they are so bad boot them before. I mean, I get it, but still.

as for us, we don't have any of these problems, so idk
    Maybe End Game isn't for you
  • Yado101
    144 posts Member
    Options
    Seems fine to me, but if you could have waited until tb was over, if they didn’t participate they won’t get rewards, right?
  • Options
    I don't think the OP was being petty with the last 30 seconds part. I think they were giving them every opportunity possible to actually deploy and help the guild. It would be much less effort to just cut them loose earlier.

We kick inactive players for pretty much the same reasons as you, OP, (except we don't have any raid rules) but if they don't respond to an officer's direct message then they won't get any further attempts at warnings.
  • Options
    I am a guild leader, and I agree with your approach and patience. Sometimes, enough is enough.. Just one thing to add, I do reach out to my officers when I'm about to boot just to make sure we're on the same page.. Nice work..
  • Options
    All sounds reasonable to me.
    If you find that you are running into this fairly often, I’d suggest that you have a chat with members when they first join the guild. Make sure they know what you expect from your members and all that sort of thing. I’ve always found that making sure everyone is in the same page upfront is the most important.
    It also means that no one can play dumb when they don’t meet the guild rules or expectations.
  • ShaggyB
    2390 posts Member
    Options
    If they turn meter load when they do participate.... id think more punishment is in order
  • 50BC
    101 posts Member
    Options
    Communication is most important. Making the expectations clear to everyone up front. Reinforce/repeat those expectations often. Then if someone isn't meeting those expectations, reach out to them and ask them what is happening. Then move to punishments/removals from there.
  • Nikoms565
    14242 posts Member
    Options
    ShaggyB wrote: »
    If they turn meter load when they do participate.... id think more punishment is in order

Flogging for this. Definetly.
    In game name: Lucas Gregory FORMER PLAYER - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

In game guild: TNR Uprising
    I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
    *This space left intentionally blank*
  • Options
    I discuss the player with the other officers first. 14 days inactive without prior notice is an automatic, so is a 7 day period of inactivity in events for new members. Typically we try to warn them in game but if they aren't logging into the game to read messages our hands are tied and we just take action. We haven't found many of them to return anyway. Most players we've lost is at the disgust of GL introduction. They lose any interest in playing and won't commit to events because they feel defeated.