SIMPLE way to prevent solo teams in future raids

Prev1
As has been stated many times from the community - and recently indirectly in the Road Ahead, powerful teams being able to solo raids is a problem, and the power-creep makes the gap from best to worst team ridiculous.

This can be handled in a very easy way: make the regular 4 phases into 4 separate battles were your fight does not continue from one phase to another.Sure, with 4 "solo teams" you can still take down the raid alone, but it will require a lot more toons and teams than currently.

Example: In phase/battle 1 you use your SLKR team and solo the entire phase. In phase 2 you will then have to choose another team, because you already spent your SLKR team in phase 1.

Replies

• Options
    Good idea. Or Cap the maximum damage you can do. So you might tie for 1st place with others but without the whole alliance contributing, you can't defeat it.
  • MasterSeedy
    5072 posts Member
    edited November 2020
    Options
    I like the OP's idea as well.

Personally, I'd also like a time delay between phases, probably just 10 minutes, so that other people can finish their runs on that phase before the first person to finish can start the next phase. It just locks out everyone who isn't currently in the middle of a run from the moment the phase is first defeated.

I'm sure I would still solo HAAT, though now I'd have to look again at which squads I'd want there - I've only ever solo'd the raid with 2 different squads (well, 3, but two of them overlap by 4 characters), so it would be interesting to look over the squads that can solo all the phases. I'm sure I've got enough firepower, but it would make me think.

As for a damage cap, that would also work. Set it at 12% or so. You can finish the raid with 8 people maxing their damage + 1 person inflicting a mere 4%.

That requires a reasonable minimum number of participants (unlike the separate phases idea, where one player could still solo the raid if they used 4 different teams), but it doesn't require everyone to participate in an old raid that has gotten boring if that's not what they want, since by then you would expect to have a bunch of people maxing out their damage potential.
  • Options
    So what if a phase has 2% left why would someone want to waste a team to get minimal damage finishing the phase?
  • crzydroid
    7317 posts Moderator
    Options
    There could also just be a damage cap or a shorter enrage countdown.
  • Options
    Or just make it so mastery cant be increased in raids
  • Options
    LordDunbar wrote: »
    So what if a phase has 2% left why would someone want to waste a team to get minimal damage finishing the phase?

You would just use some crap team and be ready for the next phase

• Options
    I like the OP's idea as well.

Personally, I'd also like a time delay between phases, probably just 10 minutes, so that other people can finish their runs on that phase before the first person to finish can start the next phase. It just locks out everyone who isn't currently in the middle of a run from the moment the phase is first defeated.

I'm sure I would still solo HAAT, though now I'd have to look again at which squads I'd want there - I've only ever solo'd the raid with 2 different squads (well, 3, but two of them overlap by 4 characters), so it would be interesting to look over the squads that can solo all the phases. I'm sure I've got enough firepower, but it would make me think.

As for a damage cap, that would also work. Set it at 12% or so. You can finish the raid with 8 people maxing their damage + 1 person inflicting a mere 4%.

That requires a reasonable minimum number of participants (unlike the separate phases idea, where one player could still solo the raid if they used 4 different teams), but it doesn't require everyone to participate in an old raid that has gotten boring if that's not what they want, since by then you would expect to have a bunch of people maxing out their damage potential.

For outdated raids, I would prefer to just let guilds turn an option on that allows people to run the raid themselves. Give it 24 hours or so for people to do their runs and then all the scores are added together. This allows people to play it at their own pace.
  • Sewpot
    2010 posts Member
    Options
    I can see the devs putting faction requirements instead. Need relic charters to beat a raid with prizes that can’t be obtained anywhere else and you will see people relicing jawas if we had to. Lol
  • Options
    They don't seem to mind solo-teams.

It's that they don't want people to be able to solo it right out of the gate, is all.
    Ceterum censeo Patientia esse meliat.
  • Sewpot
    2010 posts Member
    Options
    NicWester wrote: »
    They don't seem to mind solo-teams.

It's that they don't want people to be able to solo it right out of the gate, is all.

Ya sith raid was something they thought wouldn’t be beat for probably 7 months and was beat in less then a month. Now it’s cheaper and easier to just go back and put extra tiers in old raids. NEW CONTENT if you look at it that way lol!
  • Options
    Rancor's Snack: first rancor action is to eat the stronger character, prioritizing GLs. Thematic and efficient imo. You theorycraft a 4 characters team.
    This could be used in future raids in various ways: put her/him in stasis, debuffed so she/he can use basic only and watnot.
  • Options
    @Bulldog1205
    For outdated raids, I would prefer to just let guilds turn an option on that allows people to run the raid themselves. Give it 24 hours or so for people to do their runs

Sure, but the OP was specifically about future raids, not current/outdated raids.
  • Options
    A raid that only allows a 1 toon team. Without a support team, even SLKR can't solo a raid tuned higher than the HSTR. And it could let random junk characters shine if they have funky mechanics and the raid mechanics are tuned for a weak faction or something
  • Options
    all the fun is taken away from a raid if there is no path to eventually soloing it imo. That is half the reason I play raids so hard to figure out the teams and work on the teams that can solo raids. Take that away and raids are boring. Instead of taking away the fun just invent new more challenging raids when solos become easy in the previous raid and allow for raids that have been out for a while and can be soloed easily to be simmed. Not sure why all you want to take away the fun of raids with damage caps etc.
  • Options
    all the fun is taken away from a raid if there is no path to eventually soloing it imo. That is half the reason I play raids so hard to figure out the teams and work on the teams that can solo raids. Take that away and raids are boring. Instead of taking away the fun just invent new more challenging raids when solos become easy in the previous raid and allow for raids that have been out for a while and can be soloed easily to be simmed. Not sure why all you want to take away the fun of raids with damage caps etc.

Not sure why a guild activity with 50 people working together to beat a god-tier boss should inherently be solo capable? Why is that the metric you measure your raid enjoyment in?
  • Options

Not sure why a guild activity with 50 people working together to beat a god-tier boss should inherently be solo capable? Why is that the metric you measure your raid enjoyment in?

better dispersion of rewards is what should be talked about. taking away the fun of soloing a raid is like keeping training wheels on a bike just because the other kids around you need training wheels. this wouldnt be an issue if the raid rewards were better dispersed which is what people really want in the end imo.
  • Options

better dispersion of rewards is what should be talked about. taking away the fun of soloing a raid is like keeping training wheels on a bike just because the other kids around you need training wheels. this wouldnt be an issue if the raid rewards were better dispersed which is what people really want in the end imo.

No it's because if all raids were supposed to be solo capable, then there would never have been guilds in the game. Guild content is there for guilds, contrary to your apparent belief. I agree the rewards are a huge issue, but making it so that even some of the most guild-centric content is *meant* to be single player defeats the purpose of guilds at all.
  • Options
    Or, guaranteed enrage after each phase, with good old ESCAPE button with 20-40 % chance of escape after 70% of the raid and lowering.
  • MasterSeedy
    5072 posts Member
    edited November 2020
    Options
    Enrage timer shared across all phases?

Obviously it resets if you bring in a new team, just as it does now.
  • Options
    so people find a team to solo each phase and then they can solo the entire raid with 4 teams instead of one. what difference would that make? i remember the days when hatt was somewhat new I used multiple teams to solo the raid. did as much damage as i do now with one team. Your not going to stop people from getting to the point they can do similar things in a raid. Thats what you are all griping about.
  • Options
    so people find a team to solo each phase and then they can solo the entire raid with 4 teams instead of one. what difference would that make? i remember the days when hatt was somewhat new I used multiple teams to solo the raid. did as much damage as i do now with one team. Your not going to stop people from getting to the point they can do similar things in a raid. Thats what you are all griping about.

That's why we've been proposing things like phase delays so others can jump in, or higher tuned difficulties so it requires full guild participation like HSTR when it was first introduced, or with a mechanic that neutralizes the strongest character like Rancor picking out GL's which would force people to theorycraft with 4 v 1 teams. We've been trying to be productive, which is more than you comparing guild friendly content to training wheels.
  • Options
    well i have asked for a new raid thats harder for sometime. the idea that powercreep wont happen and eventually a new harder raid become soloable as well is not realistic. power creep is always going to happen in games like this. the new rancor difficulty isnt really a new raid and just lazy work on the devs part.
  • Shadowmaster4
    475 posts Member
    edited November 2020
    Options
    well i have asked for a new raid thats harder for sometime. the idea that powercreep wont happen and eventually a new harder raid become soloable as well is not realistic. power creep is always going to happen in games like this. the new rancor difficulty isnt really a new raid and just lazy work on the devs part.

Unless they plan to reveal something higher than Galactic Legend, there won't be a huuuuge power creep left other than relics. So if they tuned a new raid to high relic level GL squads, then it wouldn't solo capable for years unless they really speed up the update schedule.

Also, "Content meant to be challenging for a group of 50 people and potentially upward of 100 GL's is definitely something that should and will eventually be solo-capable" just sounds stupid. They can tune raid content infinitely higher to meet power creep, that's what new content is for. Even if it becomes solo-capable, at this point we've hit the point where power creep is entirely dependent on relic levels because all future GL's are supposed to be "on par" with the past ones.
  • Options
    Maybe they can make new raid content limited to 3 or even 1 attempt. That way it's impossible to solo the entire raid at all unless one team could beat two phases. Then you implement something like faster enrage cooldown or a GL eating Rancor and suddenly beating all 4 phases with only 3 teams becomes impossible until they add new mechanics to the game or we hit relic 10 or whatever.
  • Options
    Even if they make a new raid that SLKR can't solo, he will still be able to do an impressive amount of damage, and it's likely SLKR owners will always be the rank 1 raid contributor in your guild

Right now, SLKR remains the best investment in the game.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options
    Even if they make a new raid that SLKR can't solo, he will still be able to do an impressive amount of damage, and it's likely SLKR owners will always be the rank 1 raid contributor in your guild

That is not true, they can easily make mechanics that would keep him in line.
  • Shadowmaster4
    475 posts Member
    edited November 2020
    Options

Oh yeah that's indisputable. But if we limited the attempts each person can make and had a mechanic that somehow made it impossible (or at least highly unlikely) that anyone could take a full phase + some on the next using a single team, then solo-ing the entire raid won't be possible for any one person until relics get out of control, and reward distribution will be fixed as such. Obviously an SLKR team could probably still take a full phase+ under this system, but that's why I suggested (jokingly at first but I kind of like it the more I say it) a mechanic where the boss targets higher power characters first. This would lead to better theorycrafting of either 5 person squads focused on supports or a 4 person squad with someone to take the hit. An SLKR squad without SLKR can't solo a raid, especially not one tuned to a higher standard than HSTR where most of his squad is dead behind him by the end anyway.

Alternatively they could make it so there are more than five phases so that no one needs to lower their attempts to avoid someone solo-ing the whole thing. A six phase raid would be wild :D
  • Options
    Kyno wrote: »

Yeah they could... Like anti first order synergy or something. Idk if they would do that though. Doesn't make sense lore-wise with the rancor.

• Options
    Kyno wrote: »

I believe that they could, I just don't think that they would. Nor do I think they should single out a specific character, if anything they'd have to reign in all GL's somehow with a mastery manipulating raid boss, but I feel like that's a way down the road.
  • Options

Oh yeah that's indisputable. But if we limited the attempts each person can make and had a mechanic that somehow made it impossible (or at least highly unlikely) that anyone could take a full phase + some on the next using a single team, then solo-ing the entire raid won't be possible for any one person until relics get out of control, and reward distribution will be fixed as such. Obviously an SLKR team could probably still take a full phase+ under this system, but that's why I suggested (jokingly at first but I kind of like it the more I say it) a mechanic where the boss targets higher power characters first. This would lead to better theorycrafting of either 5 person squads focused on supports or a 4 person squad with someone to take the hit. An SLKR squad without SLKR can't solo a raid, especially not one tuned to a higher standard than HSTR where most of his squad is dead behind him by the end anyway.

Alternatively they could make it so there are more than five phases so that no one needs to lower their attempts to avoid someone solo-ing the whole thing. A six phase raid would be wild :D

I don't see anything there that would give any of the other heros in the game an edge over SLKR

Sure you can make the Rancor target the highest power hero on your team but that means he will also target Rey, JML, SEE, etc. And the amount of time from start of battle to the time the GL is eaten, SLKR would still put out a lot more damage than the others.

So yeah making the raid not able to be solo'd is easy, but i still think SLKR teams would do the most damage.

Unless they add mechanics that are actually anti-SLKR and visibly/obvious anti-SLKR. But idk if they would do that.