GAC advantage

Prev13
System
246 posts EA Administrator
This discussion was created from comments split from: Grand Arena Hitting Last an Advantage?.

Replies

• Options
    If its 3v3, I 100% believe it's definitely advantageous to go first, unless your gp is over 7.5-8 million. There's going to be some variety with all the squads that have to be set & you'll end up going against some squads that you don't have a hard counter for. If your focus is mostly on a full clear, I.e., going first, There's a tendency to overcompensate, whereas if I'm going 2nd, my primary focus is on banners, & riskier matchups is a consequence of that. There's less pressure going first (for me @ least) and I full clear opponents much more frequently than when I wait.
  • th3evo
    358 posts Member
    Options
    grassrox wrote: »
    If its 3v3, I 100% believe it's definitely advantageous to go first, unless your gp is over 7.5-8 million. There's going to be some variety with all the squads that have to be set & you'll end up going against some squads that you don't have a hard counter for. If your focus is mostly on a full clear, I.e., going first, There's a tendency to overcompensate, whereas if I'm going 2nd, my primary focus is on banners, & riskier matchups is a consequence of that. There's less pressure going first (for me @ least) and I full clear opponents much more frequently than when I wait.

You are 2 years late to the discussion.
  • TVF
    36643 posts Member
    Options
    th3evo wrote: »

You are 2 years late to the discussion.

Going last to win B)
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • NicWester
    8928 posts Member
    Options
    I said it in 2019, I say it again in 2021: Whatever advantage it gives is purely psychological. Just attack whenever is convenient and you have time. Did mine this morning in bed, felt great.

Will I win? I don't know. Will I get mad if I lose? No.
    Ceterum censeo Patientia esse meliat.
  • Nikoms565
    14242 posts Member
    Options
    NicWester wrote: »
    I said it in 2019, I say it again in 2021: Whatever advantage it gives is purely psychological. Just attack whenever is convenient and you have time. Did mine this morning in bed, felt great.

Will I win? I don't know. Will I get mad if I lose? No.

I only disagree that the advantage is "purely psychological". I think there is an advantage to going after your opponent - but only is they make mistakes and have to double tap a team or two. Then you know you can play it conservative and still win (not try to undersize, etc.) because you know if you just play clean you win.

That said, I don't think the advantage is that significant and I usually attack early, go for a clean sweep and put the pressure on my opponent to do the same. Honestly, I'd be fine if they changed it and fine if they didn't.
    In game name: Lucas Gregory FORMER PLAYER - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

In game guild: TNR Uprising
    I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
    *This space left intentionally blank*
  • Options
    Took me 2 years to figure out I get full clears more frequently when I attack 1st! I totally get the advantage of knowing exactly how many banners you need to win, but going 2nd definitely requires a more nuanced approach, & I think a lot of people feel the pressure & make more mistakes when facing a full clear. Going first definitely works well for me anyway when I don't worry too much about banners and just focus on winning matches/clearing territories
  • Options
    ...& yes, its totally psychological!
  • Nikoms565
    14242 posts Member
    edited June 2021
    Options
    ...& yes, its totally psychological!

No it's not. If I attack first, then my opponent has information he didn't have before I attacked. It gives him 3 valuable pieces of information:

1) If I made any "mistakes" - which helps him make decisions as to how conservative he can be or how risky he needs to be.

2) It also gives him a total banner count to beat. Which clues him in as to whether he can "waste" banners attempting feats. This is especially true when he's down to the last, weaker teams in the back. Should he run a solo GL for an easy 55 banners, or toss in Baze AND Cherrut for the feat - but run the risk of losing a couple of banners?

3) It can also clue him in as to if there are any nasty surprises waiting for him in the back row. If I put my Rey on defense, and my opponent, who has SLKR and JML/JKL, attacked first and can't clear her, there's a good bet that at least one of those teams is lying in wait in the back row. Me seeing his struggle give me valuable information - that I need to save at least one GL counter and not maximize banners in the front.

Are these advantages "significant"? Not enough to deter from attacking first most times. But they are not "purely psychological". Arguing differently simply assumes your opponent doesn't care or doesn't think.
    In game name: Lucas Gregory FORMER PLAYER - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
  • Options
    All these folks who see no advantage to going second, please DM me if we match up and volunteer to go first.

There's no argument to be had that the guy going 2nd has more information. He clearly does. He knows the score be needs to win; first guy did not.

The argument is whether that information is valuable. People have provided concrete examples where that information would be useful. So, those who still say it isn't are either being obtuse, don't know how to garner information from their opponent going first, or don't know how to use it.
  • Options
    It seems that people are trying to prove two different things.

A. It is useful to go second. This is true simply due to having more information to work with (as explained above).

B. People can still do well when going first. This is also true. With a combination of good scouting, knowledge of counters, and a careful strategy; a player can essentially calculate what will get the highest score.

There is no reason to continue to debate this. Everyone is (partially) right.
    3v3 FTW
  • Options
    I haven't heard anyone saying B isn't true. Some folks, however, are claiming that A is untrue.
  • Options
    I haven't heard anyone saying B isn't true. Some folks, however, are claiming that A is untrue.

Their reasoning for A being false is just reasoning for B being true. That’s why the word partially is there.
    3v3 FTW
  • Options
    Sounds like I misunderstood you. I took your post to mean that everyone is partially right and therefore also everyone is partially wrong. As I now understand it, you mean everyone is at least partially right. Is that correct?
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    Options

A. It is useful to go second. This is true simply due to having more information to work with (as explained above).

B. People can still do well when going first. This is also true. With a combination of good scouting, knowledge of counters, and a careful strategy; a player can essentially calculate what will get the highest score.

C. Going last doesn't increase your max. potential score. All it does is give you room for slacking and playing a less stressful offense if your opponent registered a low score.
  • Options
    Waqui wrote: »

C. Going last doesn't increase your max. potential score. All it does is give you room for slacking and playing a less stressful offense if your opponent registered a low score.

So you agree that the information gained by going second can be advantageous. Seems like you agree with A but want to phrase it differently. Cool
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    edited June 2021
    Options

So you agree that the information gained by going second can be advantageous. Seems like you agree with A but want to phrase it differently. Cool

If you agree that going second doesn't help you win the round then I guess we may agree. Having a less stressful offense could be regarded as "useful", yes.
  • TVF
    36643 posts Member
    Options
    I like to ask my opponent what they would prefer. It's called being a good friend.
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • Options

If you agree that going second doesn't help you win the round then I guess we may agree. Having a less stressful offense could be regarded as "useful", yes.

Do you really not understand this? Or are you trolling for the lulz?
  • ImaSmakya
    1068 posts Member
    Options
    If you believe it is an advantage to go last, do so. If you don't, go whenever you want.

On this particular matter why should anyone give a wet fart what anyone else thinks?
    https://swgoh.gg/p/319514721/
    DISCLAIMER: Post is subject to change.
  • Options
    ImaSmakya wrote: »
    If you believe it is an advantage to go last, do so. If you don't, go whenever you want.

On this particular matter why should anyone give a wet fart what anyone else thinks?

I find ignorance frustrating. And for some reason, I think people are rational creatures who will change their viewpoint when presented with clear evidence to the contrary. However, my viewpoint that others are rational actors is clearly one I need to change based on the evidence in this thread alone.
  • Legend91
    2441 posts Member
    Options
    Q: Hitting last an advantage?
    A: Yes.
    Q: Why?
    A: Information advantage.
    Legend#6873 | YouTube | swgoh.gg
  • Gifafi
    6017 posts Member
    Options
    Seems like it’s clearly a slight advantage, but so what? Not only does it not matter but there’s no fix for the situation.
    Maybe End Game isn't for you
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    Options

Do you really not understand this? Or are you trolling for the lulz?

If you have anything useful to add I'll gladly discuss. Your trolling doesn't help anyone.

• Options
    Gifafi wrote: »
    Seems like it’s clearly a slight advantage, but so what? Not only does it not matter but there’s no fix for the situation.

The fix would be that there is no information about how your opponent has done until the fight is over.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options

But players do say they go first always and win (probably not always on the win) and players that go second dont always win. This would seem to mean that any advantage is a "personal preference" rather than any true advantage.
  • Options

The fix would be that there is no information about how your opponent has done until the fight is over.
    That's not a good solution. Sometimes you might need to intentionally drop a battle to complete a feat.

I do want to see how my opponent is doing mid battle and I'm sure many others would agree.
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    Options

Fix? Fix for what? Whatever you score when going second you could also score when going first.

Hiding your opponent's score would remove the thrill when you both attack at the same time and have an even battle. The most exciting rounds I had were when that happened.
  • Gifafi
    6017 posts Member
    Options
    Kyno wrote: »

But players do say they go first always and win (probably not always on the win) and players that go second dont always win. This would seem to mean that any advantage is a "personal preference" rather than any true advantage.

Anecdotal lol. I mean, I don’t see how it isn’t obvious that more info>>less info, but the fix mentioned above (no info) sounds awful. The fact that people win going first seems irrelevant to the question imo.
    Regardless, I just go when I have time.
    Maybe End Game isn't for you
  • Rath_Tarr
    4944 posts Member
    Options
    Hiding your opponent's score would remove the thrill when you both attack at the same time and have an even battle. The most exciting rounds I had were when that happened.
    Attacking simultaneously is by far the most fun I have in GAC. I was lucky enough to have one such match this last bracket and even luckier to have a friendly opponent who was up for chatting about it afterwards.

But I just attack whenever I am ready, which is usually before my opponent and most of the time I win (10-12 wins each GAC). If I lose it's because I made too many mistakes and/or my opponent was uncommonly good which is fair enough.
  • Nikoms565
    14242 posts Member
    Options
    Kyno wrote: »

No offense, but that's not even a logical point. All you "proved" above was that going second doesn't always guarantee a win. That doesn't mean that it doesn't provide you any advantage.

I am legitimately surprised at the people in this thread who insist that acting with more information than your opponent is not an actual advantage.