Bad Batch S1:E9 Chat (SPOILERS)

2Next

Replies

• RTS
    684 posts Member
    Options
    Granolo wrote: »
    RTS wrote: »
    One of the things I hate most about Disney redoing historical SW stuff is things like travel.

In “Legends” some travel across the galaxy took WEEKS - that’s because they would be traveling in hyperspace, but even hyperspace had speed limits.

What they do in SW now seems more akin to tesseracting, and it’s so annoying.

Sorry but it's not just Disney. Star Wars films have never been very accurate on traveling times. It's ok though, remember SW it's not Science Fiction, we don't need logical accuracy every time. There's a reason why the OT never even tried to elaborate around traveling times on hyperspace. Because it was irrelevant for the movies.

No, but consistency would be nice.

• V01D
    117 posts Member
    Options
    Xcien wrote: »

I’m pretty sure Rex was still alive, so why not the Bad Batch.

Rex would have been about 74 during the battle of Endor and 84 at the start of the Mandalorian season 1. The Bad Batch were cloned 1 year after Rex from what I could find. I believe they could all be alive and would love to see them in live action. However, they'd still be pretty old at that point.
  • Options
    V01D wrote: »

Rex would have been about 74 during the battle of Endor and 84 at the start of the Mandalorian season 1. The Bad Batch were cloned 1 year after Rex from what I could find. I believe they could all be alive and would love to see them in live action. However, they'd still be pretty old at that point.

Though somewhat combat ready. If Rex was fighting during the Battle of Endor, I don't see why Bad Batch wouldn't be having some fun still. I do wonder if the Kaminoans would correct the aging issue, or would they leave it alone. From a business perspective, having a customer needing to buy more clone soldiers is good business. If a clone has a shorter usefulness expectancy, the need for more units would always be there.
  • Xcien
    2436 posts Member
    Options
    V01D wrote: »

If Rex could still fight, then why why couldn’t the Bad Batch?
    I've found this whole experience to be very enlightening.

Thank you for evaluating. Your feedback is appreciated.
  • MasterSeedy
    5136 posts Member
    Options
    Rex would have been about 74 during the battle of Endor and 84 at the start of the Mandalorian season 1.

You mean not **actually** 74/84, but rather that Rex's body was in the shape of a 74 year old/84 year old, right?
  • V01D
    117 posts Member
    Options

You mean not **actually** 74/84, but rather that Rex's body was in the shape of a 74 year old/84 year old, right?

Correct. He'd only been "alive" for around 37 years. Since they age around 2x the speed, his body would be around the 74 year mark.
  • Options
    It's always a bit hard for me, not trained in cinema/film studies or anything similar, to separate "good" from "enjoyable" when I've had a really good time. (Oddly, it's easier when I have a crappy time to set aside those bad feelings and talk through the more objective aspects of a video's quality with myself.)

So let's just say, I had a really good time with this episode. The pacing seemed good, and the character choices were generally understandable and reasonable from their point of view. The only "stupid" thing any of the characters did was Omega failing to take off her comms & hide them somewhere that they could keep broadcasting to give the BB more time to home in on her.

As for any other criticisms, well, remember how traveling from Tatooine to Alderan supposedly took days? And yet the BB gets to Omega in minutes? I would have preferred if she was hiding out in an asteroid field, turning the life support off for a couple hours near the beginning until Cad Bane was gone, then bringing them back up to only a minimal value. We don't really know where everyone is in relation to each other, the BB was just somewhere in interstellar space, but "several minute" interstellar travel between stars that are far enough apart to count as "long range" for comms systems threatens to destabilize the entire SW universe.

It shouldn't take minutes to go from, for instance, Tatooine to Geonosis. It certainly didn't in Episode 2.

One of the things I hate most about Disney redoing historical SW stuff is things like travel.

In “Legends” some travel across the galaxy took WEEKS - that’s because they would be traveling in hyperspace, but even hyperspace had speed limits.

This kinda bugged me in the Frog Lady episode of Mando as well. No Hyperspace travel to go to another planet and/or star system would take [Sandlot voice] "FOR EV ER"
  • Xcien
    2436 posts Member
    edited July 2021
    Options
    It's always a bit hard for me, not trained in cinema/film studies or anything similar, to separate "good" from "enjoyable" when I've had a really good time. (Oddly, it's easier when I have a crappy time to set aside those bad feelings and talk through the more objective aspects of a video's quality with myself.)

So let's just say, I had a really good time with this episode. The pacing seemed good, and the character choices were generally understandable and reasonable from their point of view. The only "stupid" thing any of the characters did was Omega failing to take off her comms & hide them somewhere that they could keep broadcasting to give the BB more time to home in on her.

As for any other criticisms, well, remember how traveling from Tatooine to Alderan supposedly took days? And yet the BB gets to Omega in minutes? I would have preferred if she was hiding out in an asteroid field, turning the life support off for a couple hours near the beginning until Cad Bane was gone, then bringing them back up to only a minimal value. We don't really know where everyone is in relation to each other, the BB was just somewhere in interstellar space, but "several minute" interstellar travel between stars that are far enough apart to count as "long range" for comms systems threatens to destabilize the entire SW universe.

It shouldn't take minutes to go from, for instance, Tatooine to Geonosis. It certainly didn't in Episode 2.

This kinda bugged me in the Frog Lady episode of Mando as well. No Hyperspace travel to go to another planet and/or star system would take [Sandlot voice] "FOR EV ER"

It took about 2 days (I think, don’t know exact period of time), and that was with the Razor Crest half destroyed. So that bugged me as well.
    I've found this whole experience to be very enlightening.

Thank you for evaluating. Your feedback is appreciated.
  • Options
    CaroCanon wrote: »
    My friend (who also has a biology degree) suggested a crispr like situation in which the Y chromosome is deactivated in the embryo (not sure exact timing, my degree is in economics). I dunno if a single X chromosome would result in a girl, but she seems to be mostly prepubescent so presumably any fertility issues won’t have been noticed yet.

Also dunno if this would impact “purity” but…who knows. It doesn’t have to be perfect, technology is different in canon.

And I read some interview where (I think Filoni) said hyper speed travels at the speed of plot.

Or... plot twist, omega is a copy of Jango and so a genetic male, but has been referred to as a girl since the start. As she's a kid, it's still hideable.

Then she hits puberty, realises the disconnect and decides to be a genetic male identifying as a girl. Disney diversity squad happy and its just side enough to not have the woke background define the character, which is good for the mass audience.