Wonder will omnicroms be renamed?

Replies

  • NicWester
    8748 posts Member
    edited November 2021
    Unless it's politics you agree with, of course, then it's not politics at all. 🙄

    We all know what you're really saying, so just go ahead and say it already...
    Ceterum censeo Patientia esse meliat.
  • TVF
    31749 posts Member
    Boosk
    The CGDF is no more. Now we hate CG because of the change to the shipment tab. Say hi in our Discord! https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • Of course, silly me, I forgot the Galactic Legend on that list: Ray.
  • LordDirt
    3318 posts Member
    edited November 2021
    NicWester wrote: »
    Unless it's politics you agree with, of course, then it's not politics at all. 🙄

    We all know what you're really saying, so just go ahead and say it already...

    Say what? Two party system is just two sides of the same coin? They protect themselves and dont care about the people
    Post edited by LordDirt on
    Forget the gear crunch, why can't we sim the Sith raid yet?
  • E3P0 wrote: »
    Maybe they'll rename it to Omnicron, and give in to the bad spellers everywhere (seriously there's 3 of the past 9 threads with this misspelling in the title, it's not that hard, people).

    While we're at it, they can make other similar "we give up" changes:

    - Enjoy the newly retitled story of how the Death Star plans were stolen (in a makeup kit?): Rouge One.
    - We can also enjoy some newly renamed toons: Jedi Counsellor, Assaj Ventress, General Greivous, Ashoka Tano, Ayala Secura, and The Mandolorian.

    Always wondered why Mando was short for Mandalorian
    Forget the gear crunch, why can't we sim the Sith raid yet?
  • E3P0 wrote: »
    Ashoka Tano
    I've never spelled it A-s-h, but on any given day there's a 50/50 chance I'll spell it Ahsoka or Asohka.
    LordDirt wrote: »
    NicWester wrote: »
    Unless it's politics you agree with, of course, then it's not politics at all. 🙄

    We all know what you're really saying, so just go ahead and say it already...

    Say what? Two party system is just two sides of the same coin? They protect themselves and dont care about the people?
    How much are clove cigarettes these days, anyway?
    Ceterum censeo Patientia esse meliat.
  • NicWester wrote: »
    E3P0 wrote: »
    Ashoka Tano
    I've never spelled it A-s-h, but on any given day there's a 50/50 chance I'll spell it Ahsoka or Asohka.
    LordDirt wrote: »
    NicWester wrote: »
    Unless it's politics you agree with, of course, then it's not politics at all. 🙄

    We all know what you're really saying, so just go ahead and say it already...

    Say what? Two party system is just two sides of the same coin? They protect themselves and dont care about the people?
    How much are clove cigarettes these days, anyway?

    You tell me, those were horrible back in the day.
    Forget the gear crunch, why can't we sim the Sith raid yet?
  • LordDirt wrote: »
    Always wondered why Mando was short for Mandalorian

    It's a nickname, and nicknames often don't make sense like that. Similar to Jimbo being a nickname for James, or Billy being a nickname for William.
  • TVF
    31749 posts Member
    Manda
    The CGDF is no more. Now we hate CG because of the change to the shipment tab. Say hi in our Discord! https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • cboath7 wrote: »
    The didn't skip letters. It's the name the variants in order, but we only hear about the ones that are noteworthy.

    I mean there weren't covid 1-18 pandemics/scares (though i think SARS was one)...

    While the second part (Covid 1-18) is false, as has been said repeatedly, I believe the first is correct for the most part (Xi may have been skipped, as well as maybe Nu - but I’m not an expert so I don’t know).

    There was an Alpha variant, it just wasn’t very noteworthy compared to Delta.
  • TargetEadu wrote: »
    cboath7 wrote: »
    The didn't skip letters. It's the name the variants in order, but we only hear about the ones that are noteworthy.

    I mean there weren't covid 1-18 pandemics/scares (though i think SARS was one)...

    While the second part (Covid 1-18) is false, as has been said repeatedly, I believe the first is correct for the most part (Xi may have been skipped, as well as maybe Nu - but I’m not an expert so I don’t know).

    There was an Alpha variant, it just wasn’t very noteworthy compared to Delta.

    Nu got skipped, too, because outside Greece and several college frats everyone would hear it as "new."
    Ceterum censeo Patientia esse meliat.
  • I remember when they got named after the country of origin.

    Chinese varient
    Brazilian varient
    South African varient
    Kent varient.
    Indian varient.

    And then all of a sudden because it was Indian we couldn't use the region of origin because its racist.

    Classic
  • E3P0 wrote: »
    Maybe they'll rename it to Omnicron, and give in to the bad spellers everywhere (seriously there's 3 of the past 9 threads with this misspelling in the title, it's not that hard, people).

    While we're at it, they can make other similar "we give up" changes:

    - Enjoy the newly retitled story of how the Death Star plans were stolen (in a makeup kit?): Rouge One.
    - We can also enjoy some newly renamed toons: Jedi Counsellor, Assaj Ventress, General Greivous, Ashoka Tano, Ayala Secura, and The Mandolorian.

    1ngvu1s9pygo.jpg
  • I remember when they got named after the country of origin.

    Chinese varient
    Brazilian varient
    South African varient
    Kent varient.
    Indian varient.

    And then all of a sudden because it was Indian we couldn't use the region of origin because its racist.

    Classic

    Well, that's not true. They weren't named after the "country of origin". They were named after the country that first sequenced and identified the different genome of each variant.

    And it's not racism that changed that. Like it's happening now, South Africa identified and sequenced Omicron variant and then Europe is blocking, erroneously, visitors from that country, when the variant is already spreading throughout Europe without any border control. Duh!
    "You could warn me when I do something bad. Blink once for dark side, twice for light"
  • I remember when they got named after the country of origin.

    Chinese varient
    Brazilian varient
    South African varient
    Kent varient.
    Indian varient.

    And then all of a sudden because it was Indian we couldn't use the region of origin because its racist.

    Classic
    Is Kent a country?
  • I remember when they got named after the country of origin.

    Chinese varient
    Brazilian varient
    South African varient
    Kent varient.
    Indian varient.

    And then all of a sudden because it was Indian we couldn't use the region of origin because its racist.

    Classic

    The Spanish Flu came from Kansas. It got called Spanish Flu because Allied and Central Power media censored any mention of the flu for fear it would panic the homefront or give the enemy a sign that they were weakened. Spain, being neutral in WW1, didn't have to worry about any of that and reported that it existed, so people called it the Spanish Flu.

    Likewise, these variants "come" from countries becauss those countries have robust medical research and discover them. It's been all over the place for months, but it was scientists in South Africa who identified it.

    Do you see now why we aren't naming these things after places any more? It's arbitrary at best.
    Ceterum censeo Patientia esse meliat.
  • LordDirt wrote: »
    cboath7 wrote: »
    The didn't skip letters. It's the name the variants in order, but we only hear about the ones that are noteworthy.

    I mean there weren't covid 1-18 pandemics/scares (though i think SARS was one)...

    They did skip letters, the WHO didn’t want to be seen as racist by naming it Xi. Politics in our medical field.

    More likely they didn't want to deal with someone throwing a hissy fit over using Xi.
  • vsx2ufdcwx74.jpeg

    But now they're going to upset Lrrr.
  • LordDirt
    3318 posts Member
    edited November 2021
    NicWester wrote: »
    I remember when they got named after the country of origin.

    Chinese varient
    Brazilian varient
    South African varient
    Kent varient.
    Indian varient.

    And then all of a sudden because it was Indian we couldn't use the region of origin because its racist.

    Classic

    The Spanish Flu came from Kansas. It got called Spanish Flu because Allied and Central Power media censored any mention of the flu for fear it would panic the homefront or give the enemy a sign that they were weakened. Spain, being neutral in WW1, didn't have to worry about any of that and reported that it existed, so people called it the Spanish Flu.

    Likewise, these variants "come" from countries becauss those countries have robust medical research and discover them. It's been all over the place for months, but it was scientists in South Africa who identified it.

    Do you see now why we aren't naming these things after places any more? It's arbitrary at best.

    “Despite the fact that the 1918 flu wasn’t isolated to one place, it became known around the world as the Spanish flu, as Spain was hit hard by the disease and was not subject to the wartime news blackouts that affected other European countries. (Even Spain's king, Alfonso XIII, reportedly contracted the flu.)”

    The Spanish Flu did not originate in Spain, though news coverage of it did. During World War I, Spain was a neutral country with a free media that covered the outbreak from the start, first reporting on it in Madrid in late May of 1918. Meanwhile, Allied countries and the Central Powers had wartime censors who covered up news of the flu to keep morale high. Because Spanish news sources were the only ones reporting on the flu, many believed it originated there (the Spanish, meanwhile, believed the virus came from France and called it the “French Flu.”)

    Scientists still do not know for sure where the Spanish Flu originated, though theories point to France, China, Britain, or the United States, where the first known case was reported at Camp Funston in Fort Riley, Kansas, on March 11, 1918.

    Some believe infected soldiers spread the disease to other military camps across the country, then brought it overseas. In March 1918, 84,000 American soldiers headed across the Atlantic and were followed by 118,000 more the following month.

    https://www.history.com/topics/world-war-i/1918-flu-pandemic
    Forget the gear crunch, why can't we sim the Sith raid yet?
  • NicWester
    8748 posts Member
    edited November 2021
    Thank you for repeating what I just said but with more words.
    Ceterum censeo Patientia esse meliat.
  • Not really what you said
    Forget the gear crunch, why can't we sim the Sith raid yet?
  • 4h05wtt03tja.jpg

    Welp, that's my daily dose of history and politics.
  • They should just rename it the “Pooh flu”
    b6quju20ws2e.jpeg
  • thomssi
    513 posts Member
    edited November 2021
    NicWester wrote: »
    TargetEadu wrote: »
    cboath7 wrote: »
    The didn't skip letters. It's the name the variants in order, but we only hear about the ones that are noteworthy.

    I mean there weren't covid 1-18 pandemics/scares (though i think SARS was one)...

    While the second part (Covid 1-18) is false, as has been said repeatedly, I believe the first is correct for the most part (Xi may have been skipped, as well as maybe Nu - but I’m not an expert so I don’t know).

    There was an Alpha variant, it just wasn’t very noteworthy compared to Delta.

    Nu got skipped, too, because outside Greece and several college frats everyone would hear it as "new."

    They seem to have skipped about 10 letters. Some maybe make sense for political or other reasons (nu and xi being two of them as you point out). Others though less so and it is a bit odd the way they have done this, including zetas we all know and love.....
  • I remember when they got named after the country of origin.

    Chinese varient
    Brazilian varient
    South African varient
    Kent varient.
    Indian varient.

    And then all of a sudden because it was Indian we couldn't use the region of origin because its racist.

    Classic
    Is Kent a country?

    Our day will come Bruv
  • LordDirt wrote: »
    E3P0 wrote: »
    Maybe they'll rename it to Omnicron, and give in to the bad spellers everywhere (seriously there's 3 of the past 9 threads with this misspelling in the title, it's not that hard, people).

    While we're at it, they can make other similar "we give up" changes:

    - Enjoy the newly retitled story of how the Death Star plans were stolen (in a makeup kit?): Rouge One.
    - We can also enjoy some newly renamed toons: Jedi Counsellor, Assaj Ventress, General Greivous, Ashoka Tano, Ayala Secura, and The Mandolorian.

    Always wondered why Mando was short for Mandalorian

    Because of Mando'a?
  • thomssi wrote: »
    NicWester wrote: »
    TargetEadu wrote: »
    cboath7 wrote: »
    The didn't skip letters. It's the name the variants in order, but we only hear about the ones that are noteworthy.

    I mean there weren't covid 1-18 pandemics/scares (though i think SARS was one)...

    While the second part (Covid 1-18) is false, as has been said repeatedly, I believe the first is correct for the most part (Xi may have been skipped, as well as maybe Nu - but I’m not an expert so I don’t know).

    There was an Alpha variant, it just wasn’t very noteworthy compared to Delta.

    Nu got skipped, too, because outside Greece and several college frats everyone would hear it as "new."

    They seem to have skipped about 10 letters. Some maybe make sense for political or other reasons (nu and xi being two of them as you point out). Others though less so and it is a bit odd the way they have done this, including zetas we all know and love.....

    Those variants exist(ed), they just weren’t newsworthy. A Zeta variant being different and 4% more infectious than original Covid is noteworthy to scientists, but not really to the general public.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    TargetEadu wrote: »
    thomssi wrote: »
    NicWester wrote: »
    TargetEadu wrote: »
    cboath7 wrote: »
    The didn't skip letters. It's the name the variants in order, but we only hear about the ones that are noteworthy.

    I mean there weren't covid 1-18 pandemics/scares (though i think SARS was one)...

    While the second part (Covid 1-18) is false, as has been said repeatedly, I believe the first is correct for the most part (Xi may have been skipped, as well as maybe Nu - but I’m not an expert so I don’t know).

    There was an Alpha variant, it just wasn’t very noteworthy compared to Delta.

    Nu got skipped, too, because outside Greece and several college frats everyone would hear it as "new."

    They seem to have skipped about 10 letters. Some maybe make sense for political or other reasons (nu and xi being two of them as you point out). Others though less so and it is a bit odd the way they have done this, including zetas we all know and love.....

    Those variants exist(ed), they just weren’t newsworthy. A Zeta variant being different and 4% more infectious than original Covid is noteworthy to scientists, but not really to the general public.

    This.

    You can look at the current list of named variants and their respective country of identification.
  • Hey OP, if they rename the material bc a virus shares the same greek letter they better nerf SLK upon activating the ultimate bc, you know... he takes off the mask...
This discussion has been closed.