GAC seasonal squish

Prev1
So there was an announcement of an adjustment of a Grand Arena Seasonal Skill Squish.

Kyber 2 used to be 3220 to 3540 and my score was 3360. It is now 3310 to 3610 and my score is now 3339. Seems a bit weird.

I am curious how other divisions changed and how skill ratings changed.

Replies

• Snake2
    1455 posts Member
    Options
    I don't know how my actual score was affected, but i got dropped by 4000 ranks.

I thought the squish was not going to affect the ranks much at all?

Some clarity would be appreciated, because based on the information released by cg, i was not expecting the ranks to be shuffled every gac.
  • Options
    Snake2 wrote: »

Some clarity would be appreciated, because based on the information released by cg, i was not expecting the ranks to be shuffled every gac.

Considering the leaderboard still looks like this, I would put too much stock in your current rank.

m6le0c7621nm.jpeg
    https://swgoh.gg/p/319514721/
    DISCLAIMER: Post is subject to change.
  • Snake2
    1455 posts Member
    Options
    ImaSmakya wrote: »
    Snake2 wrote: »

Considering the leaderboard still looks like this, I would put too much stock in your current rank.

m6le0c7621nm.jpeg

That's why some clarity would be appreciated, because it looks like a giant cluster to me
  • thomssi
    526 posts Member
    edited January 2022
    Options
    4c343b89gba2.png

Hmm. All working well then.....
  • Eyo
    34 posts Member
    edited January 2022
    Options
    I was 100 points above kyber 1 treshold, could loose some games and I was pretty safe for that first round. Now it removed 60 points from me and raised treshold for another 60 points, Im 20 points under my rank @ kyber 1... Awesome job CG, you are complete <insert any fitting word>.
  • Options
    There seems no consistency between changes either. My main account that went 11-1 dropped 102 points from 3942 to 3840. My alt which went 7-5 (I phoned in week 4 after going 7-2) dropped only about 40 points from 3560 to 3519, but went from well above k1 to needing to go 3-0 to even consider staying in k1
  • KnightOfCydonia
    186 posts Member
    edited January 2022
    Options
    thomssi wrote: »
    4c343b89gba2.png

Hmm. All working well then.....

In a similar position. I've gone from 2 wins above the minimum K2 threshold to now needing 3 wins just to stay in. I really hope CG come out and give us some clarity because this isn't what they said would happen
  • Rius
    388 posts Member
    Options
    They changed the start line completely, I just got demoted to Bronzium 2 so did not get to move up to Chromium. Sucks but I had a bad last round, and can not expect to win all. I was at the top of Bronzium 2 less than 10 points from Bronzium 1. But the squish has put me below Bronzium 2 by points, so unless I gain enough in the first round I will be demoted and will effect rewards.d8dxix6wqfxj.png
  • Options
    Screenshot_20220118-075747_Heroes.jpg

How does doing this make any sense. If I knew I was going to get kicked back to k2 after the first season I wouldn't have put any effort in for an additional 20 daily crystals
  • E3P0
    111 posts Member
    Options
    This just underscores the need for a better explanation of how Skill Rating works. More transparency please!

(I mentioned it before in the Q&A thread but the community sort of dropped the ball not trying to get things like this clarified and focusing on other stuff that was relatively obvious)
  • Options
    I was comfortable in the middle of kyber 3. Now I'm only 20 points above demotion. Fix this, CG!
  • Options
    It makes sense. If the intent is to always keep each league at 20% of users, a set delineated rating for each league wouldn't work. They should really squish after each round and that's when you find out what Division you'll be in for the next round. No indication prior of what it takes to be in each Division, just a "wait for the squish and see!" message.
  • Options
    Yesterday I was 10 points from falling to chrom 5, now I'm 30 points over chrom 4 and should be chrom 3 based on that, but I'm still chrom 4. And I'm not even close to the highest points in chrom 4.

So... I unsquished?
  • Options
    I don't get how I was 1st in guild ranks and now at 9 with ~100 points lower than 1. #totallysquished :/
  • Options
    And I had top-500 kyber-1 rank, now being #1655. It works not right way for me)
  • Options
    I’d hate to be a player that fought hard to barely get into the next division, only to see that threshold raised right after you got there. Ouch.
  • Options
    Nobody should be surprised. Just like the QGJ omicron debacle and all the decisions made over the last several months.

I've played since a few months after launch. I've been irritated about changes before like everyone else but was still getting enjoyment out of the game ultimately. Now I just don't care. Apathy is the worst thing that can happen to a player base in a game like this.
  • Options
    Screerider wrote: »
    It makes sense. If the intent is to always keep each league at 20% of users, a set delineated rating for each league wouldn't work. They should really squish after each round and that's when you find out what Division you'll be in for the next round. No indication prior of what it takes to be in each Division, just a "wait for the squish and see!" message.

The problem is that "it makes sense" can't be reconciled with this announcement which says that the change wasn't going to have any impact on divisions or leagues:

k72ijbcd8brj.png
  • Options
    CG lied?
  • Options
    They never lie!!
  • Options

The problem is that "it makes sense" can't be reconciled with this announcement which says that the change wasn't going to have any impact on divisions or leagues:

k72ijbcd8brj.png

Well that statement is still true even with this skill squish. It did not change anyone's current League or Division following the end of season adjustments. It will possibly have an impact after week 1 of this next season, but that doesn't mean their initial statement was a lie....
  • Options

k72ijbcd8brj.png

Well that statement is still true even with this skill squish. It did not change anyone's current League or Division following the end of season adjustments. It will possibly have an impact after week 1 of this next season, but that doesn't mean their initial statement was a lie....

The statement clearly said: 'it will not impact your ability to reach the next division.' - thats a lie.

And 'there's really not much it will change' - is also a lie, because it will impact your crystal income, which is objectively the biggest thing in this game.

And 'This will not have aby impact on your GAC experience' - again a lie. Dropping down a division)/league certainly has an impact on your experience.

3 lies per one announcement.
    Can't wait for their next announcement to not believe it.
  • Options
    Every day more lies! Bor Gullet!
  • Intimmydation
    681 posts Member
    edited January 2022
    Options
    The statement clearly said: 'it will not impact your ability to reach the next division.' - thats a lie.

And 'there's really not much it will change' - is also a lie, because it will impact your crystal income, which is objectively the biggest thing in this game.

And 'This will not have aby impact on your GAC experience' - again a lie. Dropping down a division)/league certainly has an impact on your experience.

Has anyone dropped down a Division yet because of this squish? Nope, so it has not affected what Division they are IN (right now). Now obviously if they don't keep winning, then it WILL impact the division they are in, but in the future (next week).
  • Options

Has anyone dropped down a Division yet because of this squish? Nope, so it has not affected what Division they are IN (right now). Now obviously if they don't keep winning, then it WILL impact the division they are in, but in the future (next week).

You're constantly trying to play the grammar n card, implying that the announcement is only for the present, not the future.
    This, however, is simply a lie. (Are you also a CG employee?)
    Read the announcement again, and you'll see that it's clearly referring to the future, e. G. 'This will not have any impact on your GAC experience' (WILL not have)
    Yes, it WILL have!
  • StarSon
    7526 posts Member
    Options

You're constantly trying to play the grammar n card, implying that the announcement is only for the present, not the future.
    Read the announcement again, and you'll see that it's clearly referring to the future, e. G. 'This will not have any impact on your GAC experience' (WILL not have)
    Yes, it WILL have!

Not sure you can say that you know it will have an effect. For this week at least, you are in the same division as last time regardless of skill rating.

If you go 3-0 will you have enough to stay? If they hadn't squished and you went 0-3 would you have dropped out? It will only impact your crystal income if you don't win enough to remain in the division you are in, which is no different than how it was before.
  • Options
    I went from being one win away from Kyber 1 (lost my last game because 5 GLS vs my 2 so put me 12 points below bracket)
    The squish dropped me and inflated the bracket to be 126 points now needed to be promoted... in case you missed it CG, this is MORE than the 1 required win now to move up bracket.
    Now I need to go 5-1 instead of 2-1 and then 2-1 the next week to stay in it. Please also note this means I can't get promoted this week, so I lose out on the potential of getting more crystals for the second week.

This plus the change to QGJ omi is really starting to grind on me. I'm not even mentioning the 'skill' matchmaking element here which is shocking
  • Rius
    388 posts Member
    Options

StarSon wrote: »

Yes, it WILL have!

Not sure you can say that you know it will have an effect. For this week at least, you are in the same division as last time regardless of skill rating.

If you go 3-0 will you have enough to stay? If they hadn't squished and you went 0-3 would you have dropped out? It will only impact your crystal income if you don't win enough to remain in the division you are in, which is no different than how it was before.

It does impact it my skill score is below my rank which I was at the top of. Having just missed the next one up. I lost 48 skill points. I don’t need to LOSE to be demoted I could be demoted on 2:1 or a 1:2 if I place low on rankings and score no points. I could have lost all 3 in this round and had stayed before.

The squish was fundamentally unfair as some people have gone up whilst others have gone down by a small margin and some like me like a large margin. A squish would imply everyone has been reduced. Why should I lose 48 points and someone else gain. This removes the competitive element it’s not a skill rank it’s a fixed ranking system by a hidden metric, how did they decide who loss and won and by how much?

• StarSon
    7526 posts Member
    Options
    Rius wrote: »

Yes, it WILL have!

It does impact it my skill score is below my rank which I was at the top of. Having just missed the next one up. I lost 48 skill points. I don’t need to LOSE to be demoted I could be demoted on 2:1 or a 1:2 if I place low on rankings and score no points. I could have lost all 3 in this round and had stayed before.

The squish was fundamentally unfair as some people have gone up whilst others have gone down by a small margin and some like me like a large margin. A squish would imply everyone has been reduced. Why should I lose 48 points and someone else gain. This removes the competitive element it’s not a skill rank it’s a fixed ranking system by a hidden metric, how did they decide who loss and won and by how much?

I don't understand this: "if I place low on rankings and score no points". Low rankings shouldn't matter, just win/loss, right? And the easy way to score no points it to attack once per round. Really doesn't feel like a stretch for them to expect you to do the bare minimum to earn crystals.

And a squish only implies everyone down if they squish from the top only. That was clearly not their intent, as they said they wanted the skill ratings to be closer to facilitate MM. Obviously that meant the top had to go down and the bottom had to go up.

Completely disagree about removing competitive element. It changes nothing about the competitiveness. All it does is ensure that the people at the top aren't always just playing the same 7 people.
  • Options
    Rius wrote: »

Yes, it WILL have!

I don't understand this: "if I place low on rankings and score no points". Low rankings shouldn't matter, just win/loss, right?

I think the order of your W's and L's matters, but it's marginal. We saw last season that early matches had larger point swings than later matches. But again, this is very marginal.