A problem with the skill rating

Prev1
I have been watching how it varies the skill rating, and I notice that at the end is a constant that increases your skill if you win and decreases if you lose (considering also when there is a tie, and it is decided by GP), so for example, it is not considering for how much points you win or lose, which I think is something to be considered if you want to measure "skill", because it is not the same if you struggle to win, or if you win for a lot.

Replies

• LordDirt
    5018 posts Member
    Options
    Too many variables if you try to calculate points as the teams you are facing are different.
    Why wasn't Cobb Vanth shards a reward for the Krayt Dragon raid? Why wasn't Endor Gear Luke shards a reward for the Speeder Bike raid?
  • CCyrilS
    6732 posts Member
    Options
    Actually a lot of sports that use Elo factor in the point spread. I do agree it would cause issues when considering how much your opponent's defense can affect the outcome.
  • Options

Never watch football (soccer) league huh?
    Win = 3 points
    4:3 = 3 points
    1:0 = 3 points
    6:0 still 3 points
    A win is a win.
  • CCyrilS
    6732 posts Member
    Options
    Phoenixeon wrote: »
    Never watch football (soccer) league huh?
    Win = 3 points
    4:3 = 3 points
    1:0 = 3 points
    6:0 still 3 points
    A win is a win.

n6aowja8utvi.jpg
  • Gifafi
    6017 posts Member
    Options
    j3ghei3nyvfq.gif
    Maybe End Game isn't for you
  • Options
    That would mean winning a autodeploy/no-show enemy would be a good indication of skill.
  • CCyrilS
    6732 posts Member
    Options
    That would mean winning a autodeploy/no-show enemy would be a good indication of skill.

It would have that effect, yes.
  • Options
    It could also creates incentives to stop trying after you mathematically cannot win, to drop more SR and thus get easier matchup or conversely “force” full attempt to minimise spread and thus SR loss if close to the threshold.

I like the current binary approach a lot more as there’s less scope for micromanaging SR.
  • Phoenixeon
    1842 posts Member
    edited March 2022
    Options
    CCyrilS wrote: »
    n6aowja8utvi.jpg

Which major football league you are watching then? GD only taking unto accounts while teams has the same points at the end of the league or group stage.
  • CCyrilS
    6732 posts Member
    Options
    Admittedly, I'm not an expert on this sort of "football" but that is apparently how FIFA rankings are computed.
  • Options
    Admittedly, I'm not an expert on this sort of "football" but that is apparently how FIFA rankings are computed.

I am talking about the league rules, not FIFA world ranking.
  • CCyrilS
    6732 posts Member
    Options

Ok. Either way it shows point spread is a valid factor.
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    Options
    ccabezas93 wrote: »
    I have been watching how it varies the skill rating, and I notice that at the end is a constant that increases your skill if you win and decreases if you lose (considering also when there is a tie, and it is decided by GP), so for example, it is not considering for how much points you win or lose, which I think is something to be considered if you want to measure "skill", because it is not the same if you struggle to win, or if you win for a lot.

SR is not a measure of your skill. Don't let the name confuse you.

• Options
    i only will watch a sport that doesnt account for margin of victory

usausausa
    hello
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options
    A pretty win is just as much of a win as an ugly win. I dont believe there are any plans to try and separate the 2.
  • Options
    Wise man, Vin Diesel, once said...
  • cboath7
    461 posts Member
    Options
    LordDirt wrote: »
    Too many variables if you try to calculate points as the teams you are facing are different.

Maybe,. but since they call it 'SKILL' points....seems exceedingly wrong then that if you're massively outclassed but loose 1400-1390, you're so called 'SKILL RATING' reflects exactly the same as if you were waxed by someone 1400-10. One would show much more skill than the other.
  • Options
    cboath7 wrote: »

Maybe,. but since they call it 'SKILL' points....seems exceedingly wrong then that if you're massively outclassed but loose 1400-1390, you're so called 'SKILL RATING' reflects exactly the same as if you were waxed by someone 1400-10. One would show much more skill than the other.
    Yeah, the solution to that is for them to change the name to “battle prowess” or “force factor”. Or for the community to accept that the name they’ve chosen is not entirely appropriate
  • Options

People get way too hung up on the term "skill rating". It's just a reflection of where you started out on the ladder and how much you've been winning and losing since, not how much skill you've shown in your matchups. They should've just called it "championship rating" or something
  • Screerider
    1373 posts Member
    edited March 2022
    Options
    It's "skill rating" to make people with buthurt egos want to spend.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options

Your example shows exactly why there is no purpose to a change like this.

One player scores 1400 through their actions. The difference is driven by the other players lack of desire or ability to play. Neither of those show any skill at all to the winning player. The skill is measured by how little you lose, not by any internal value that could be manipulated or driven up by the other person taking(or not taking) specific actions.
  • Rath_Tarr
    4944 posts Member
    Options
    Perhaps they should rename it... Galactic Power!!! :D
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    edited March 2022
    Options

Or maybe one just showed a higher level of activity than the other. The one losing 1400-10 could be the more skilled player.

You shouldn't let the term "Skill Rating" confuse you. The rating is all about wins and losses - not skill.
  • CCyrilS
    6732 posts Member
    Options
    Skill rating is a comparison of how you did vs how you were expected to do, vs how everyone else did compared to how they were expected to do.
  • Options

The FIFA world ranking is complete horse doo-doo. Just as an fyi. It's an underhanded design that the different federations use to artificially enhance their ranking so even a horrible team can claim top spot if they just pick on smaller nations with teams that lack professional footballers.

I decided to look into it a few years ago and....yeah UEFA especially manipulates the heck out of it so European nations can secure those top spots.
  • Options

The FIFA world ranking is complete horse doo-doo. Just as an fyi. It's an underhanded design that the different federations use to artificially enhance their ranking so even a horrible team can claim top spot if they just pick on smaller nations with teams that lack professional footballers.

I decided to look into it a few years ago and....yeah UEFA especially manipulates the heck out of it so European nations can secure those top spots.

Hmm. That sounds great until you get to Belgium being the world no 1. Any global conspiracy by the Belgians is frankly a little harder to believe. Especially if it’s achieved by picking on ‘smaller nations’. I.e. smaller than Belgium?
  • Options
    Wed_Santa wrote: »

Hmm. That sounds great until you get to Belgium being the world no 1. Any global conspiracy by the Belgians is frankly a little harder to believe. Especially if it’s achieved by picking on ‘smaller nations’. I.e. smaller than Belgium?

However, at points Belgium probably have been the best nation in the world. The thing is after Germany and France won the World Cup, they both had severe dips in form. Where as Belgium haven't suffered any dips. If you take 10 games of varying difficulty over the last 8 years. You'd put Belgium at the top of the list of most likely to win them all. Where they come unstuck is against the best nations making it tough. France, Argentina, Italy all have beaten them at major championships this way.

So the question is (football) should the world number 1 be a major championship winner or a team that consistently wins and gets to the latter stages of tournaments? If it's the former, then it's definitely not Belgium. If it's the latter then it probably is............for now anyway as sadly Belgium's wonderful team is just about done.
  • Options
    Oh don’t get me wrong- I’m not belittling Belgium (I love the place). Just pointing out that any conspiracy that winds up elevating Belgium is unlikely to actually exist
  • Options
    why is belgium not censored
    hello
  • Options
    In fact all those iN CAW Patrol types at the top of K1 leaderboard should proudly consider themselves the absolute Belgium of Galaxy of Heroes