"If you're not allowed to play, that makes it challenging!"

Stenun
851 posts Member
"We want to challenge our players so we're going to make sure they're not allowed to play! All AI units will have 15 turns for each turn had by a unit controlled by a character! And during their 15 turns, they;ll heal the damage the player did in their one turn and power up even more! What a challenge that you can't do anything! And every single challenge in the game will be the same! Amazing!
"Yes, we could create different and varied challenges if we wanted to but where's the fun in that? Much more challenging to just not allow the players to play at all! And if they are powerful enough that they can win in the 7 turns we allow them in 5 minutes, the next challenge will be exactly the same! Woohoo!
"Yes, we could use the mechanics of, for example, the Galactic Conquest to come up with all sorts of different Modifiers but it's far easier for us to just not let you play.
"Yes, we could have Modifiers that aren't restricted by faction that don't involve making it impossible for you to do anything. We could have all sorts of wonderful options like 'all enemies are immune to damage from Galactic Legends' or 'at the start of the enemy leader turn, dispel all debuffs on all enemies' or 'all enemies take half damage unless they have the Armor Shred debuff' or 'each time an enemy unit is revived, all player units get a Damage Over Time'. Imagine that last one on Nighstsisters instead of just giving them +3,000% Speed! What a different gmaeplay experience that would create!
"But nah, we don't want to do that. Much more challenging to just not let the players play at all."

Replies

• Ultra
    11515 posts Moderator
    Options
    Yet there are players obtaining red boxes 🤔
  • Stenun
    851 posts Member
    Options
    Ultra wrote: »

... never said there wasn't. 🤔
    I said: "And every single challenge in the game will be the same! "
    I said: "And if they are powerful enough that they can win in the 7 turns we allow them in 5 minutes, the next challenge will be exactly the same!"

Every "challenge" is designed around trying to stop the player from playing.
  • Joebo720
    648 posts Member
    edited March 2023
    Options
    This one was a little harder but really most are a one and done on T10. Something occasionally being difficult where you don't have to press the auto button isn't the worst thing in the world.

And to be honest they are the only ones that are fun to me.
  • Stenun
    851 posts Member
    Options
    Joebo720 wrote: »
    This one was a little harder but really most are a one and done on T10. Something occasionally being difficult where you don't have to press the auto button isn't the worst thing in the world.

And to be honest they are the only ones that are fun to me.

Galactic Conquest, not Galactic Challenge.
    By "challenge" I was talking about the way the game "challenges" the player - it's always the same, it's always the AI gets dozens of turns and you get three. That's the only way the game ever challenges you. There's no variety; just a constant attempt to lock the player out of the game. When the games are 5 minutes and it can sometimes be over a minute between your turns, it's dumb.
    There is so much more they could to to make more interesting and varied challenges in the Conquest and indeed the Challenges (capital C). But they don't. Every single time it's a case of "Overprepared" plus "obscene TM gain or multiple bonus turns or all attack together". Anything possible to stop the player from actually playing the game!
    And yes, it can be fun when you have to play and not press Auto. That's my point. But we're not allowed to. We just watch the AI play solitaire.
  • Options
    This doesn't match my experience.

In some cases, yes, the enemy team can run away with it and you just watch your team get obliterated, but the trick is to know which lineups will cause that to happen and plan accordingly.
  • LordDirt
    5025 posts Member
    Options
    I love Conquest and they always tune it to be harder for the better units.
    Why wasn't Cobb Vanth shards a reward for the Krayt Dragon raid? Why wasn't Endor Gear Luke shards a reward for the Speeder Bike raid?
  • Jacgul
    229 posts Member
    Options
    My favorite is when g12 or relic 0 characters outrun my 300+ speed relic 7s. Yes some teams get speed bonuses, but most don't.
  • Options
    Sana Starros rage. Still waiting for Righteous Retribution Tech to show up.

Probably could've beaten that level if I took out Captain Han Solo or ROLO with Massively Overpowered rather than Sana, but apparently Suspicious can still be gained when the unit that gives the (de)buff is dead?!

Also why the hell can Captain Han Solo gain Suspicious when he's literally a Scoundrel. You know, the class EXEMPT from gaining Suspicious? Now he can (illegally) hit me with Daze over and over again.
    Hello there.
  • Ultra
    11515 posts Moderator
    Options
    Stenun wrote: »

I said: "And if they are powerful enough that they can win in the 7 turns we allow them in 5 minutes, the next challenge will be exactly the same!"

How can you get the red box if you can't play the game?

You said: "Yes, we could have Modifiers that aren't restricted by faction that don't involve making it impossible for you to do anything"
    You said: "... so we're going to make sure they're not allowed to play"

I mean, its ridiculous how hyperbolic you are being in this thread

"all enemies are immune to damage from Galactic Legends"

ok buddy, it sounds like you don't have any gear, or mods, or data discs equipped on your GLs at all
  • Ultra
    11515 posts Moderator
    edited March 2023
    Options
    Jacgul wrote: »
    My favorite is when g12 or relic 0 characters outrun my 300+ speed relic 7s. Yes some teams get speed bonuses, but most don't.

I mean that's fine

PvE Content can easily be cheesed by having ONE super fast unit to go first and run circles around the opposing team

Its a turn based game with lots of turn meter manipulation, even super low gear units can take out relic teams if you can get the first turn

Conquest is designed to test that you are capable of winning by not going first always

And there is nothing inherently wrong with that

You should be good enough to win by not taking the first turn, or go back to the drawing board and try different mods or add a pretaunting tank or add more durable (higher geared) toons etc

As far as PvE goes, I think its fine that enemy units are high enough to outspeed you or else there won't be any challenge (see other PvE content such earlier tiers of Assault Battle, early phases of Hoth / Geo Territory Battles or Cantina nodes etc)

At least they aren't preloading Turn Meter but giving high speeds instead
  • Joebo720
    648 posts Member
    Options
    Huh don't find conquest really challenging. More of a bore with win 40 battles with x squad. Can pretty much faceroll the whole thing if it weren't for the feats.
  • Stenun
    851 posts Member
    Options
    Stenun wrote: »

How can you get the red box if you can't play the game?

You said: "Yes, we could have Modifiers that aren't restricted by faction that don't involve making it impossible for you to do anything"
    You said: "... so we're going to make sure they're not allowed to play"

I mean, its ridiculous how hyperbolic you are being in this thread

"all enemies are immune to damage from Galactic Legends"

ok buddy, it sounds like you don't have any gear, or mods, or data discs equipped on your GLs at all

ok buddy, sounds like your straw manning me. Never mentioned "red boxes". Never said it was impossible. Your quote of my "all enemies are immune to damage from Galactic Legends" is COMPLETELY out of context. It was not a complaint about the game as is. I think that much is obvious. But if you want to take that quote out of context and claim it means I have no mods or gear on my GLs, that's completely disingenuous.
  • Options
    If some players, including f2p, are getting the red box, and getting the red box is not impossible, then "not allowed to play" is simply not true.
  • KDC99X
    756 posts Member
    Options
    If you're having that experience with Conquest, you either:

1) Aren't USING the right teams,
    2) Don't HAVE the right teams,
    3) Have terrible mods, or
    4) Aren't using good data disk combinations (obviously this is somewhat RNG dependent on what you get)

So identify which one(s) it is, and then adjust. There's always been tactics to adjust for opposing squads outrunning you.
  • Jacgul
    229 posts Member
    Options
    Jacgul wrote: »

I mean that's fine

PvE Content can easily be cheesed by having ONE super fast unit to go first and run circles around the opposing team

Its a turn based game with lots of turn meter manipulation, even super low gear units can take out relic teams if you can get the first turn

Conquest is designed to test that you are capable of winning by not going first always

And there is nothing inherently wrong with that

You should be good enough to win by not taking the first turn, or go back to the drawing board and try different mods or add a pretaunting tank or add more durable (higher geared) toons etc

As far as PvE goes, I think its fine that enemy units are high enough to outspeed you or else there won't be any challenge (see other PvE content such earlier tiers of Assault Battle, early phases of Hoth / Geo Territory Battles or Cantina nodes etc)

At least they aren't preloading Turn Meter but giving high speeds instead

Having them outrun me with speed would be one thing. Having the entirety of the team take 3-5 turns when they don't have the ability to reduce enemy turn meter, grant bonus turn meter or swap turn meter isn't. And again, I'm not comparing them against "low gear" characters. Unless higher than relic 7 is low gear.
  • Options
    Which enemy teams are taking 5 turns before you get one?
  • Options

Probably Sana.
    Hello there.
  • I_JnK_I
    464 posts Member
    Options

Tusks