Hoard energy for May the fourth be with you

Prev1
Starting tomorrow I am going to hoard all energy for May the fourth be with you.
During BLACKOUT there is no point in spending normal and cantina energy for raid tickets.
For arguments sake, if you had unlimited energy what node would you farm and why?
Fleet 3c(saw a video by darth laquer).
Light side 7b,
Mod battles 9c
and Cantina 8g(drop rate is bad).

Just gonna log in every 6 hours and collect mod, cantina, fleet and normal energy.
Busy farming Boushh Leia for Krayt raid and will do one hard node battle without refresh.
I still need 100 shards so it is going to take a long time.

Replies

• Options
    @SidVicious444 This is 100% a BAD idea. You will be losing more in the long run due to the loss of any energy gained through regular recharging. In a normal day you can earn 288 fleet, regular and mod energy, and 120 cantina energy just by using it before you hit the caps. The bonus daily energy is 135 regular, 45 cantina, 45 fleet and 45 mod. You're losing out in the long run so please don't do this.

This is not to mention that in order to hit all of your daily bonuses you will probably want to farm signal data from cantina, which will cost 48/day minimum to get three battles which is more than the 45 bonus earned. If you choose not to do the dailies then you can mitigate that, but then you're losing out in other ways including daily kyros and crystals.
    Account started June 2020. 100% FTP. 8.2m GP. JMK, JML, SLKR, and SEE. Exe and Levi. Ally code 117-269-921. Swgoh.gg
  • Options
    I usually only hoard for a couple of days in advance sometimes just one day - any more than that and you're not actually gaining any benefit.
    F2P since the last time I bought Kyros, Crystals, or the Conquest Pass.
  • EdSolo
    412 posts Member
    Options
    Let's look at the math. To make this easier, let's just look at regular energy. Say you are at 144 right now. You get three refreshes a day at 45 each. May 4 is in 20 days. 3x45x20=2700 + 144 = 2844. So you can run through all this energy in one go on the 4th. Say you are farming a hard node character. Average drop rate is 1/3. Let's look at something on the lowest energy. 2844/12= 237 attempts/3 = 79 shards x2 = 158 during double drops.

Now, normal regeneration nets you 10 per hour, or 240 a day plus 3x45 for a total of 375. So over the next 20 days, that is 7,500 normal energy. 7500/12 = 625 attempts/3 = 208 shards or 50 more than hoarding. This doesn't even account for everything else you miss out on by not doing your dailies and such.
  • crzydroid
    7301 posts Moderator
    Options
    This is also to say nothing of the fact that energy caps unless you buy the packs.
  • Options
    EdSolo wrote: »
    Let's look at the math. To make this easier, let's just look at regular energy. Say you are at 144 right now. You get three refreshes a day at 45 each. May 4 is in 20 days. 3x45x20=2700 + 144 = 2844. So you can run through all this energy in one go on the 4th. Say you are farming a hard node character. Average drop rate is 1/3. Let's look at something on the lowest energy. 2844/12= 237 attempts/3 = 79 shards x2 = 158 during double drops.

Now, normal regeneration nets you 10 per hour, or 240 a day plus 3x45 for a total of 375. So over the next 20 days, that is 7,500 normal energy. 7500/12 = 625 attempts/3 = 208 shards or 50 more than hoarding. This doesn't even account for everything else you miss out on by not doing your dailies and such.
    Don’t forget that this many hard node attempts in 4 days would cost an insane amount of crystals in node refreshes
  • Options
    This is a bad idea and will only hurt you in the long run as others have said, please do not make this foolish mistake.
  • Options
    You only want to hoard for double drops for a max of two days for Ship/Mod/Cantina or 2-5 Days for regular energy. I made some charts below showing the effectiveness of different strategies.
    vvem9rmx325c.png
    jap1zd8qpa27.png
    2iwvztpsuah3.png

• Options
    crzydroid wrote: »
    This is also to say nothing of the fact that energy caps unless you buy the packs.

Isn’t there an exception for bonus energy, for the sake of argument ?
  • Options
    You only want to hoard for double drops for a max of two days for Ship/Mod/Cantina or 2-5 Days for regular energy. I made some charts below showing the effectiveness of different strategies.
    vvem9rmx325c.png
    jap1zd8qpa27.png
    2iwvztpsuah3.png

Thank you for this^^

I'm convinced and will continue playing normally.
    The cantina hoarding looks promising. I will do that starting 1 may.
    I will hoard crystals instead and do 3 refreshes on energy, cantina and mod energy for the duration of the double drop event.
    Thank you.
  • Options
    EdSolo wrote: »

Don’t forget that this many hard node attempts in 4 days would cost an insane amount of crystals in node refreshes

normal node not hard node
    Sorry for the misunderstanding.
    light side 7b is normal node with kyrotech gear and bronzium wiring scrap gear.
    fleet 3c normal not hard node
  • crzydroid
    7301 posts Moderator
    Options
    Starslayer wrote: »

It was my understanding that even bonus energy won't take you past the 1099 or whatever it is, and that the energy packs were the only way to get around it. But I could be wrong.
  • Options
    Hoarding energy’s a good idea, you’re just starting too early. I’m sure someone smarter than me can do the maths, but I’d wager that it’d be more worth starting at the end of the month
  • Starslayer
    2418 posts Member
    edited April 2023
    Options
    Hunter4721 wrote: »
    Hoarding energy’s a good idea, you’re just starting too early. I’m sure someone smarter than me can do the maths, but I’d wager that it’d be more worth starting at the end of the month

I used some lightweight math: if i just hoard during 1 day i lose 240 free regen energy. 3 refresh will grant me 360 energy that will be worth 720 on may 4th, so i ‘gain’ 360 energy by hoarding, for a net gain of 360-240=120 energy per day of hoarding. So you can hoard every energy until you hit energy cap, which should be done in about 3 days. I’ll still do the bare minimum for dailies, so the gain will be a little less.
    Now, this light gain might not be worth the trouble and you could just wait until the end of the day on may 3rd to refresh your energy and be done with it (even refreshing an extra 3 times for 100 energy, as it will be like doing an extra 3x50 refresh, which is still the most efficient way to spend your crystals).
    Also, if you take a free daily chest in the web store, you might hit cap sooner, making it less efficient to hoard for 3 whole days.
  • Options

I happen to have done the math. See pictures from a few posts up. Your intuition of starting to hoard at the end of the month is pretty close.
    I used some lightweight math: if i just hoard during 1 day i lose 240 free regen energy. 3 refresh will grant me 360 energy that will be worth 720 on may 4th, so i ‘gain’ 360 energy by hoarding, for a net gain of 360-240=120 energy per day of hoarding. So you can hoard every energy until you hit energy cap, which should be done in about 3 days. I’ll still do the bare minimum for dailies, so the gain will be a little less.
    Now, this light gain might not be worth the trouble and you could just wait until the end of the day on may 3rd to refresh your energy and be done with it (even refreshing an extra 3 times for 100 energy, as it will be like doing an extra 3x50 refresh, which is still the most efficient way to spend your crystals).
    Also, if you take a free daily chest in the web store, you might hit cap sooner, making it less efficient to hoard for 3 whole days.

You forgot the bonus energy 3x times a day which will be worth double as well. If you are collecting that you are only -105 energy each day. I always assumed it wasn't really worth the trouble until I made the charts but it certainly is worth saving up energy for at least a couple of days.

It was my understanding that even bonus energy won't take you past the 1099 or whatever it is, and that the energy packs were the only way to get around it. But I could be wrong.

I thought bonus energy and packs, including free web store pack, go over the 2000 cap but you are unable to purchase energy the normal way.
  • Options

Unless it's changed you should be able to go past the 1099 with bonus energy. I started an al account and got around 6000 normal energy and 2000 cantina before going into squad arena
  • Options

I happen to have done the math. See pictures from a few posts up. Your intuition of starting to hoard at the end of the month is pretty close.

You forgot the bonus energy 3x times a day which will be worth double as well. If you are collecting that you are only -105 energy each day. I always assumed it wasn't really worth the trouble until I made the charts but it certainly is worth saving up energy for at least a couple of days.

I thought bonus energy and packs, including free web store pack, go over the 2000 cap but you are unable to purchase energy the normal way.

I didn’t quite get your charts tbh. The only thing that seem to matter is ‘when will you hit the cap ?’, because before it’s worth it and after it’s not. So as 2 days of hoarding will net you 240+360x2= 960 energy, you’ll hit the cap with bonus energy, so i will just adjust your ‘at least 2 days’ to ‘2 days’.
  • Options
    I didn’t quite get your charts tbh.
    Effective Energy Gain is how much energy you are buying compared to not saving and doing 0 refreshes per day, already doubled for the double drops.
    Daily Spend is how much energy you should spend each day while mostly saving.
    Crystal/Energy gives you an idea of how good of a deal you are getting and can be compared to the usual first 3 daily energy refreshes.
    The only thing that seem to matter is ‘when will you hit the cap ?’, because before it’s worth it and after it’s not. So as 2 days of hoarding will net you 240+360x2= 960 energy, you’ll hit the cap with bonus energy, so i will just adjust your ‘at least 2 days’ to ‘2 days’.

I understood the cap is 2000 for energy and 1000 for mod/ship/cantina energy. If the energy cap is only 1000, 2 days is mostly correct, maybe slightly more to be able to do your dailies.
  • Options
    My plan: On May 3rd at 11:50pm, I’ll hit 144 for regular/cantina/fleet/mod energy then open the free May pack and spend 6 refreshes each on regular/cantina/fleet energy to go to 964. 10 minutes later the value on all that energy gets doubled with no waste to get to 1928 which is 4.28 regular energy per crystal.
  • Options
    My plan: On May 3rd at 11:50pm, I’ll hit 144 for regular/cantina/fleet/mod energy then open the free May pack and spend 6 refreshes each on regular/cantina/fleet energy to go to 964. 10 minutes later the value on all that energy gets doubled with no waste to get to 1928 which is 4.28 regular energy per crystal.

Same
    Account started June 2020. 100% FTP. 8.2m GP. JMK, JML, SLKR, and SEE. Exe and Levi. Ally code 117-269-921. Swgoh.gg
  • Options

So have you just been saving the 200 crystals or so you get each day? Cause I… might start doing that. It sounds very clever
  • Options

• Options
    Why does if double in 10 min
  • Options
    Why does if double in 10 min

It doesn’t, the value does.
  • CrispyFett
    974 posts Member
    Options

Same here- except thankfully i don't have to wait until 11:50. Bonuses will go into effect at normal refresh time, right? Mine is now 9:00 p.m. Eastern Time (U.S.), so my plan is to do the above, except at 8:50 (hopefully)
  • subxsimo
    125 posts Member
    Options
    I got 1050 for ship, cantina and regular energy. Now I’m just watching the clock till strikes 12:00.
  • CrispyFett
    974 posts Member
    Options
    Everyone keeps saying they are waiting until "12:00" or "11:59", but it starts at refresh time, correct? I'm starting to doubt myself now, but from my recollection double drops always start at the players refresh time for that day (i.e., mine is 9:00 p.m. eastern US), so my double drops will start then, and end on 9:00 p.m. on the 6th. Am I wrong? Just trying to plan my energy hoard for the day
  • V01D
    117 posts Member
    Options
    CrispyFett wrote: »
    Everyone keeps saying they are waiting until "12:00" or "11:59", but it starts at refresh time, correct? I'm starting to doubt myself now, but from my recollection double drops always start at the players refresh time for that day (i.e., mine is 9:00 p.m. eastern US), so my double drops will start then, and end on 9:00 p.m. on the 6th. Am I wrong? Just trying to plan my energy hoard for the day

This is how I remember them as well. It was always dependent on the individuals refresh time.
  • subxsimo
    125 posts Member
    Options
    mine is 12;00 BTS (London time) so its the start of the daily refresh of when for example your energy resets, shipments resets for the new day
  • CrispyFett
    974 posts Member
    Options
    Awesome, thanks. Can't wait for May 4th festivities to begin!
  • Options
    I'm quite certain double drops start at local time midnight.