Fix broken TW matchmaking

Prev13
Why hasn’t TW matchmaking been fixed like GAC? Between blatant sandbagging and the horrible MM algorithm, you are either given a guaranteed win or a guaranteed loss. It has caused way less interaction and even desire to focus on TW omis since CG has made it so that it literally doesn’t matter. Their algo decides if you win or lose, not your strategy or skill. Is it possible to incorporate the same or similar skill rating system as GAC? Seems like that would make it more fair. Don’t base it on total GP participating. This round we got placed against the #13 guild. Doesn’t seem fair at all. It’s not like we were on a winning streak. To the contrary. Likely we win one, lose two. We had about a 75% win rate before the algo was changed. It has forcibly pushed our win rate down to just about 50%.

In short, please change the TW MM system to a skill based one similar to GAC.

Replies

• Options
    madhader wrote: »
    Why hasn’t TW matchmaking been fixed like GAC? Between blatant sandbagging and the horrible MM algorithm, you are either given a guaranteed win or a guaranteed loss. It has caused way less interaction and even desire to focus on TW omis since CG has made it so that it literally doesn’t matter. Their algo decides if you win or lose, not your strategy or skill. Is it possible to incorporate the same or similar skill rating system as GAC? Seems like that would make it more fair. Don’t base it on total GP participating. This round we got placed against the #13 guild. Doesn’t seem fair at all. It’s not like we were on a winning streak. To the contrary. Likely we win one, lose two. We had about a 75% win rate before the algo was changed. It has forcibly pushed our win rate down to just about 50%.

Does any guild actually, deliberately, sandbag others? It would just be dumb given the difference between rewards for 1st and 2nd, forcibly removing rewards for a portion of the guild you’d inevitably end up worse off even if you won all of those matches as opposed to losing all with a full guild.

It sounds more like your guild has simply hit its ceiling, and if you feel like you’re hitting guaranteed losses maybe you need to rethink your strategy.
    Account started June 2020. 100% FTP. 8.2m GP. JMK, JML, SLKR, and SEE. Exe and Levi. Ally code 117-269-921. Swgoh.gg
  • Gawejn
    1126 posts Member
    Options
    Many guilds above 500mil gp are sandbaging. They prefer to have like 3 wins than 4 loses, despite that part of their guild is playing less tw, it is still better for them in rewards. It is funny when 2 such guilds are matched ;). My guild is considering doing the same, we are like 450mil and we would like to avoid guilds 550mil who can easily play in 40 players against guilds like mine. If game allows that, why not.
  • Gawejn
    1126 posts Member
    Options

Does any guild actually, deliberately, sandbag others? It would just be dumb given the difference between rewards for 1st and 2nd, forcibly removing rewards for a portion of the guild you’d inevitably end up worse off even if you won all of those matches as opposed to losing all with a full guild.

It sounds more like your guild has simply hit its ceiling, and if you feel like you’re hitting guaranteed losses maybe you need to rethink your strategy.

Yes,they do, and not one.
  • Notthatguyfrombefore
    1099 posts Member
    edited December 2023
    Options
    Gawejn wrote: »

Two questions:

1. How do you know (and I do mean know) other guilds sandbag?
    2. What do you mean by “not one”?
    Account started June 2020. 100% FTP. 8.2m GP. JMK, JML, SLKR, and SEE. Exe and Levi. Ally code 117-269-921. Swgoh.gg
  • Gawejn
    1126 posts Member
    edited December 2023
    Options

Two questions:

2 of those guilds, i know from checking their tw history (my guild had a war against one of them, we got destroyed)
    Third guild i know couse my friend told me who plays in this guild.
    I can give you names of those guilds, but prefer not to, couse it is not about who.
  • Notthatguyfrombefore
    1099 posts Member
    edited December 2023
    Options

Two questions:

2 of those guilds, i know from checking their tw history (my guild had a war against one of them, we got destroyed)
    Third guild i know couse my friend told me who plays in this guild.
    I can give you names of those guilds, but prefer not to, couse it is not about who.

How does someone’s TW record show that they’re sandbagging? Sometimes guilds have different members taking part for different wars because of… real life commitments. Not every member of a guild can do every TW.

If someone in a guild has told you they sandbag them that’s fair enough, but it’s still dumb of their TW officer to institute that as the overall net effect on their guild is negative. That’s bad officering (if that’s a verb).
  • Rius
    372 posts Member
    Options
    I have seen one example which I strongly suspect so I am not sure if common but we have only been in top tier TW for several months.

The other guilds info on recruitment was focused on GL’s and fleets (which I usually suspect is PVP focused), had >90% win rate yet ‘always’ played over 100M lower than their total GP of approx 550M. So that they qualified for top rewards but faced guilds like mine at 400M.

This has the strategic advantage of having many more high quality rosters even if active GP was similar. We have a good win rate and many of our loses are close. This was nowhere near close.

Whilst there is no means to know what they intentionally do, I was suspicious because the activity was incredible, full cleared within an hour (against a defence which holds well usually) and yet they have so many miss every TW? I thought it odd that a super active guild had such low sign up participation, something I usually see more in inactive guilds.
  • Options

In short, yes, they absolutely do. I have been told by several that it is a strategy they use. However, focusing on just that component completely missed my point. This isn’t a “get better, noob” scenario. But, thank you for your well thought out response in that regard.

It doesn’t matter if someone sandbags on purpose or not. If we get matched up with a guild solely based on total participating GP yet they severely outmatch us in every single aspect, then the matchmaking system is bad, not our strategy. It was the same issue before in GAC when you had to focus on GP management since that could match you up against people who severely outmatched you. My point is, that is still something that happens in TW, and with such a focus on necessary bloated GP for TB it is something that needs to be addressed in TW just like it was addressed in GAC.
  • Options
    Maybe in 2024 something will get updated with TW. Maybe not.

The algorithm is pretty simple, if you lose two, you should be able to win the next two, then you'll probably lose two, and so on.

You might think guilds are sandbagging, but that could be because you're winning a couple, so you get matched against someone tougher. (Which for them is an "easier" match up)

Complaining about TW is useless and probably more useless than any other system in place. Just take the loss, get your rewards, and move on. (Some guilds area just joining, putting a defense, and getting their 50 points each and moving on.)
  • Options
    It’s the worst game mode, nothing is a close second. Outcome is determined before it starts. So you have one side that does not try or care. It is pointless. Join, set defense and collect rewards.
  • Gawejn
    1126 posts Member
    Options
    Whatelse73 wrote: »

The algorithm is pretty simple, if you lose two, you should be able to win the next two, then you'll probably lose two, and so on.

You might think guilds are sandbagging, but that could be because you're winning a couple, so you get matched against someone tougher. (Which for them is an "easier" match up)

Complaining about TW is useless and probably more useless than any other system in place. Just take the loss, get your rewards, and move on. (Some guilds area just joining, putting a defense, and getting their 50 points each and moving on.)

No, there are guilds who are sandbagging couse players are admitting to do it.
  • Options
    Whatelse73 wrote: »

No, there are guilds who are sandbagging couse players are admitting to do it.

I didn't intend it to be a complete disregard for the concern for sandbagging happening, merely that one cause is the 2by2 thing we get. There are definitely guilds that sandbag, but it's TW.
  • Deathbringer59
    603 posts Member
    edited December 2023
    Options
    Do guilds sandbag? Yes
    Do guilds have TW optional? Yes
    Does TW need updating? Yes

TW is a finicky beast. Even sandbaggers will fight other sandbaggers.
  • Gawejn
    1126 posts Member
    Options
    Do guilds sandbag? Yes
    Do guilds have TW optional? Yes
    Does TW need updating? Yes

TW is a finicky beast. Even sandbaggers will fight other sandbaggers.

They already do. I found in tw history such a case. Hahaha
  • Options
    Unfortunately they "fixed" it in the last 18 months i want to say. Besides the lopsided opponents after a streak of loses, not sure what they did.
  • Options
    Not to be the noob in the room but what is "sandbagging'?
    Check me out everyday 7:30p est @ twitch.tv/Gnomersi where I stream my Only SWGOH account. (Lost my F2P Tag Oct. 5th, 2023)
  • Options
    It's when you have a certain amount of people in your guild sit out the TW and drops you down to face potentially "weaker" guilds. Sometimes it back fires. We had an opponent two rounds ago that came in with 36, they got smoked.
  • Options
    Joebo720 wrote: »
    It's when you have a certain amount of people in your guild sit out the TW and drops you down to face potentially "weaker" guilds. Sometimes it back fires. We had an opponent two rounds ago that came in with 36, they got smoked.

Did it backfire, or does that guild just not care about TW?
  • Options
    They had a pretty good record better than 75%. Assuming they care.
  • Options
    It's normal that a lot higher guilds sandbag. If they would join with 50 players they would face the whale/kraken guilds who has everything (the best datacrons, mods, newest characters, all GLs). You would lose so many battles - that's the reason why a lot guilds join with around 40 players.

With 40 players you will win more TWs and you will get more datacron rerolls material for lvl7+ and this reroll material is really important for TW and also for your success in grand arena.
  • Options
    I feel like it's important to point out again that what some people might think is "sandbagging" might just be guilds that don't make TW compulsory. Last TW in my guild I think we had 42/50 signed up - not because we were sand bagging, but because 8 people were just busy or simply didn't feel like doing TW. We don't punish people for that. TW is simply not appealing for some people and some guilds have a mix of players that may or may not want to engage. Our one rule about TW is, if you're not going to participate, don't sign up. I wouldn't call this sand bagging.

Lets face it - even for people that like TW, it's become pretty stale.
    F2P since the last time I bought Kyros, Crystals, or the Conquest Pass.
  • Options
    We were not that long ago matched against a guild whose active (not total) gp was two reward levels above us. I've brought this up a few times in a couple different areas and it doesn't seem to be a priority. Glad somebody else pointed it out. There's enough guilds where 2 level difference should never happen and even 1 should be able to be avoided in most circumstances. And I don't believe this is a sandbagging issue. I believe it's a programming issue.
  • Options
    My last 2 guilds took TW seriously, but still had the don't join if you can't attack rule. Regularly 45 players, sometimes 40. Over 70% wins. 41 players seems normal to me.

I think in my 6 years of playing, over 5 different guilds I have been in a TW with 50 players signed up from my guild maybe twice. That's been a range of being in TW never mentioned guild, recommend all join to get at least something guilds, only join if you fight guilds.

I'd imagine someone looking at the record of my last 2 guilds would claim sandbagging is obvious, but never have I seen anyone told not to join. I've joined nearly every one myself, never been told it was my turn to sit out.
  • Gawejn
    1126 posts Member
    Options
    My last 2 guilds took TW seriously, but still had the don't join if you can't attack rule. Regularly 45 players, sometimes 40. Over 70% wins. 41 players seems normal to me.

I think in my 6 years of playing, over 5 different guilds I have been in a TW with 50 players signed up from my guild maybe twice. That's been a range of being in TW never mentioned guild, recommend all join to get at least something guilds, only join if you fight guilds.

I'd imagine someone looking at the record of my last 2 guilds would claim sandbagging is obvious, but never have I seen anyone told not to join. I've joined nearly every one myself, never been told it was my turn to sit out.

40 players in tw is not serious aproach.
  • Options

Says who?
  • Options

I'm happy with over 70% wins. Serious enough for me.
  • tile
    52 posts Member
    edited December 2023
    Options
    Many guilds above 500mil gp are sandbaging. They prefer to have like 3 wins than 4 loses, despite that part of their guild is playing less tw, it is still better for them in rewards. It is funny when 2 such guilds are matched ;). My guild is considering doing the same, we are like 450mil and we would like to avoid guilds 550mil who can easily play in 40 players against guilds like mine. If game allows that, why not.

Not saying that guilds don't try to game it but to say *many* do it with your proof merely anecdotal from a few people you know isnt proof of many. TW is by far the worst game mode by a mile. Its completely unenjoyable. Expecting 50 people to be on call for 24 hours is frankly not fun nor realistic for most people that have lives. My guild is TW optional with the only TW rule of if you join you participate. We hardly ever get full guild join and that, frankly, is normal and ok and we dont apologize for it at all. That isn't sandbagging. And I'd bet that theres more of this than actual gaming of the MM process where guilds are making certain folks sit and not get rewards even if they want to play so that most of the others can. This is a game and asking people to be on or availalbe for that long is just stupid. TW needs to change to make it more individual so people that have families or work or whatever can do what they need to do when they have the time to do it in the day
  • Options
    tile wrote: »

Not saying that guilds don't try to game it but to say *many* do it with your proof merely anecdotal from a few people you know isnt proof of many. TW is by far the worst game mode by a mile. Its completely unenjoyable. Expecting 50 people to be on call for 24 hours is frankly not fun nor realistic for most people that have lives. My guild is TW optional with the only TW rule of if you join you participate. We hardly ever get full guild join and that, frankly, is normal and ok and we dont apologize for it at all. That isn't sandbagging. And I'd bet that theres more of this than actual gaming of the MM process where guilds are making certain folks sit and not get rewards even if they want to play so that most of the others can. This is a game and asking people to be on or availalbe for that long is just stupid. TW needs to change to make it more individual so people that have families or work or whatever can do what they need to do when they have the time to do it in the day

Is "Mandalorian Horizon" your guild?
    Legend#6873 | YouTube | swgoh.gg
  • Options
    Legend91 wrote: »

Where did you find this guild? They always win.. 550 mil guild which is going against opponents like 400mil and they win with such a margin of points. Like their oponents cant clear one zone. If they dont sandbag on purpose...this is situation that cg should adress. I had same expierience so far with another guild. Wall of gl leia.and they were playing like 75% of their guild. It was like a heavy weight boxer wanted to fight in middle weight. And be proud after winning...
  • Options
    Legend91 wrote: »

Where did you find this guild? They always win.. 550 mil guild which is going against opponents like 400mil and they win with such a margin of points. Like their oponents cant clear one zone. If they dont sandbag on purpose...this is situation that cg should adress. I had same expierience so far with another guild. Wall of gl leia.and they were playing like 75% of their guild. It was like a heavy weight boxer wanted to fight in middle weight. And be proud after winning...

yep, that's my guild. we don't tell anyone to sit or rotate people in or out of TW. i would imagine we would lose players we told to sit and not get any rewards just so a bunch of others can get better rewards? ya...that wouldn't fly. when we recruit we tell recruits from the start that we are not a TW guild. if they love TW we aren't for them and we can help them find a TW focused guild. we have no problem playing "better" guilds if thats who we match up against. but that's not our problem. we play the game as it is currently designed.

the underlying solution to the issue OP posted about should be a better MM algorithm or a complete rethinking of what a guild vs guild game mode should be but your premise that "many" guilds are sandbagging is just not substantiated. maybe its true. maybe it isn't. what i do know is that a game developer asking their players...a vast majority of whom likely have full time jobs and significant others or kids to be on call for 24 hours for a game is absolutely insane.