Question about the new Forums

Lumiya
1479 posts Member
My accounts have the same e-mail address but I use different names. Do the names have to match and if not which name will be used?
We are all made of star-stuff

Replies

• Ultra
    11506 posts Moderator
    Options
    this is purely my guess but the EA Forums username would be used (the one you use for AHQ)
  • Lumiya
    1479 posts Member
    Options
    Thank you for your answer. 🙂 This is what my guess would be too.

Now it just would be good to know if the names have to match (so I need to change it) but I assume it is enough when the e-mail address is the same.

Maybe @CG_Tusken_Meathead knows more?
  • CG_Tusken_Meathead
    364 posts EA Community Manager
    Options
    I'll poke the team on this tomorrow to double check
  • Lumiya
    1479 posts Member
    Options
    I'll poke the team on this tomorrow to double check

Thank you very much! 🙂
  • Options
    I don’t know, @Lumiya but this feels like the wrong question. I’d be more interested to know if there will continue to be a discrete community support function from CG - or will that be wrapped up into EA? What’s the future for the studio in relation to the game? Not to read too much into it but I notice they’re still not hiring - and the website is getting very out of date (eg it still offers a broken download link for HOME). What are the plans for the game?
  • TVF
    36606 posts Member
    edited March 14
    Options
    I just wanna know if fan kit threads can finally be hidden the way guild recruiting threads can be hidden.
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • Options
    Wed_Santa wrote: »
    I don’t know, @Lumiya but this feels like the wrong question. I’d be more interested to know if there will continue to be a discrete community support function from CG - or will that be wrapped up into EA? What’s the future for the studio in relation to the game? Not to read too much into it but I notice they’re still not hiring - and the website is getting very out of date (eg it still offers a broken download link for HOME). What are the plans for the game?

All of this occurred to me as well. I don't want to come off as "game is dying" because I certainly don't believe that, but if CG is turning over their autonomy over the forums to be fully handled by EA, that smacks of a re-org, which is rarely good for the game in question - or the players that enjoy it. Needless to say this is concerning - I may be in the minority here, but I trust CG to have the best interests of the game at heart - I can't say that I feel the same about EA proper.

I don't mean to be all doomy-gloomy - the game seems like it's in a good place and I'm not pessimistic about it - but it would be really great to have a bit more insight into what's going on. Handing over the forums to EA feels weird and surely has larger implications.

F2P since the last time I bought Kyros, Crystals, or the Conquest Pass.
  • Options
    The studios have been sharing the same EA support pool. This just seems a further step to streamline the cost and branding on auxiliary services.
  • Ultra
    11506 posts Moderator
    Options

All of this occurred to me as well. I don't want to come off as "game is dying" because I certainly don't believe that, but if CG is turning over their autonomy over the forums to be fully handled by EA, that smacks of a re-org, which is rarely good for the game in question - or the players that enjoy it. Needless to say this is concerning - I may be in the minority here, but I trust CG to have the best interests of the game at heart - I can't say that I feel the same about EA proper.

I don't mean to be all doomy-gloomy - the game seems like it's in a good place and I'm not pessimistic about it - but it would be really great to have a bit more insight into what's going on. Handing over the forums to EA feels weird and surely has larger implications.
    Eh

it seems the traffic gained on forums is not worth the server cost to maintain it

Which isn't a big deal since forums are a dying medium with discord and other more active and real time messaging platforms being the new trend (we have game companies that use discord servers as an official means of communication instead of owning a dedicated forum)

easier to reduce the message board load costs on to EA who already have the platform
  • Lumiya
    1479 posts Member
    Options
    You guys are right, I also had some of the thoughts myself and a little bit more Info in general would be good, as to what it means for the game and the players. Hopefully more info will come when the change is happening/ closer to happening.
  • Options
    Ultra wrote: »

Eh

it seems the traffic gained on forums is not worth the server cost to maintain it

Which isn't a big deal since forums are a dying medium with discord and other more active and real time messaging platforms being the new trend (we have game companies that use discord servers as an official means of communication instead of owning a dedicated forum)

easier to reduce the message board load costs on to EA who already have the platform

Are you saying CG communicates on discord? Lol.
  • Ultra
    11506 posts Moderator
    edited March 15
    Options
    Whatelse73 wrote: »

Eh

Are you saying CG communicates on discord? Lol.

No. I'm saying forum boards in general are a dying medium

People prefer discord and other venues to talk about games, so the decreased traffic makes sense

Plus, you are talking to like-minded players there as well about the same game with less moderation and its more real time

Which further contributes to people not wanting to use the forums at all

Personally, I don't think forum activity is a good indicator of the state of the game
  • Options
    “ Personally, I don't think forum activity is a good indicator of the state of the game”

Probably not in isolation. However my question was more about the state of CG and based on a wider set of observations - which, while not necessarily strong health indicators when taken individually, might be considered symptomatic when considered in the round. To whit:
    Forum wind up
    HoME sunset
    Lack of new vacancies (for a wee while)
    Out of date/broken web content

I’m less worried about the game, it could easily be picked up by just about anyone
  • Options
    “ Personally, I don't think forum activity is a good indicator of the state of the game”

Probably not in isolation. However my question was more about the state of CG and based on a wider set of observations - which, while not necessarily strong health indicators when taken individually, might be considered symptomatic when considered in the round. To whit:
    Forum wind up
    HoME sunset
    Lack of new vacancies (for a wee while)
    Out of date/broken web content

I’m less worried about the game, it could easily be picked up by just about anyone

Lack of vacancies is to be expected given the mass layoffs in the game industry. I'm sure they probably don't have to look too hard to fill spots. Also, I doubt anyone currently employed in game development is looking to make a move while the job market is contracting.
    F2P since the last time I bought Kyros, Crystals, or the Conquest Pass.
  • Options
    Yeah you’re probably right. I’m not a games expert (toys is more my bag, obvs) but it struck me that CG must be quite exposed in these conditions, as little to no IP sits with them (apart from a handful of proprietary characters). Everything else sits with Disney or Unity, so the only residual commercial value is us - and if game revenues and player base are declining (jury is out on that as per other threads) then the commercial case starts to look shaky. Someone has to keep the CG kitchen stocked.

But like I say, I don’t know from games so maybe things work differently
  • CG_Tusken_Meathead
    Options
    Lumiya wrote: »
    My accounts have the same e-mail address but I use different names. Do the names have to match and if not which name will be used?

Hope this helps:

Your name for the new EA forums will come directly from your EA accounts - To change your name, you will need to change your EA account name (in EA app or directly here) and this will carry over to the forums - you might need to log out and log back in to see the change there.
  • Ultra
    11506 posts Moderator
    Options
    a lot of words to say i was right
  • CG_Tusken_Meathead
    Options
    a lot of words to say i was right

I would never publicly acknowledge your being right.
  • Options
    How about a swgoh discord channel
  • Ultra
    11506 posts Moderator
    Options
    the biggest question about the forum transfer should be if my 18.9k forum likes will transfer over

which is 14k more likes than meathead ever got

and 1.8k more than crumb ever has
  • LynxVJ
    138 posts Member
    Options
    I hope they have a 'dislike' button in the new forum.
  • Lumiya
    1479 posts Member
    edited March 16
    Options
    Lumiya wrote: »

Hope this helps:

Your name for the new EA forums will come directly from your EA accounts - To change your name, you will need to change your EA account name (in EA app or directly here) and this will carry over to the forums - you might need to log out and log back in to see the change there.

Thank you very much! 🙂

I assume they don't have to match or will I need to change it so they match in order for the transfer to work?

Edit for clarity