Forum Oscars - your nominations

13Next

Replies

• Ultra
    11514 posts Moderator
    Options
    Wed_Santa wrote: »
    Here’s to CG_Carrie - definite candidate for a special achievement Oscar for her work on these forums (& judging by the health of the studio, she’s doing great stuff over at Bungie). CG’s and our loss.

it was very nice to have a live producer taking an active part as a community manager too

Since she called the shots and made decisions, its easier to advocate for those changes instead of through a proxy
  • TVF
    36611 posts Member
    Options
    Monel wrote: »
    Ultra wrote: »
    Oscar for best joke: CG_Carrie's joke that got her put on leave

it was extremely funny ngl

It was her finisher

This deserves way more likes.
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • Ultra
    11514 posts Moderator
    Options
    TVF wrote: »
    Monel wrote: »
    Oscar for best joke: CG_Carrie's joke that got her put on leave

it was extremely funny ngl

It was her finisher

This deserves way more likes.

IYKYK
  • Options
    Wed_Santa wrote: »
    Here’s to CG_Carrie - definite candidate for a special achievement Oscar for her work on these forums (& judging by the health of the studio, she’s doing great stuff over at Bungie). CG’s and our loss.

it was very nice to have a live producer taking an active part as a community manager too

Since she called the shots and made decisions, its easier to advocate for those changes instead of through a proxy

And at this point, we don't even know who's in charge at CG, besides Mickey. Maybe Goofy?
  • Options
    best feedback provider to CG: Revans

Who was that?
  • Options
    best feedback provider to CG: Revans

Who was that?

Iirc, it was a user who always complained about everything. People were quite cruel to him, calling him Karen.
  • Deathbringer59
    587 posts Member
    edited April 14
    Options
    He's the one with Vegeta as a profile pic. I'm not sure if he's still around or not
  • TVF
    36611 posts Member
    Options
    He's the one with Vegeta as a profile pic. I'm not sure if he's still around or not

He was banned
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • Options
    TVF wrote: »

He was banned

Lots of people got banned the last couple months. I saw Darjelo was banned, couldn’t ever figure out why though.
  • Options
    @NatureBoy0713

For the most minor violations they have a system of 3 strikes and you're banned for 24 or 48 hours, then the next minor violation gets you banned for longer (I think a week? I don't know). Most likely in Darjelo's case it was a matter of a couple insignificant infractions with maybe (or maybe not) one significant one, but the last one wasn't significant, so you didn't notice a reason. but the reason is strikes over time, not necessarily bad behaviour in the present.

The problem with that, of course, is that we've been going for 8.5 years now (I personally have been only commenting here for 7.5, but whatevs) and with inconsistent moderation you can think something is okay when it is, in fact, technically a violation of the rules. You get called out the first time and they just delete or edit your comment and it's no big deal. But then you get called out on something completely different 4 years later and now you're one minor infraction away from a ban.

I agree that there needs to be some sort of additive policy so that someone can't just lightly set a toe over the line, but do it repeatedly so that it becomes annoying and ultimately disruptive to the community.

On the other hand, if you're an active poster, you're going to get a warning every now and then -- not least b/c (as I said) different mods see the issues differently so a lot of people might make comments similar to the one that got you in trouble.

IMO minor violations should fall off your record after a certain amount of time -- maybe a year, maybe two. This would prevent repeated small violations that nonetheless harm the community b/c of their frequency while also protecting people like Darjelo who is a great commenter, contributes positively, and simply has left enough posts in the forums that they've inevitably picked up a couple warnings over the years.

Of course, major violations can still result in instant bans and/or not fall off your record (or fall off your record after 5 years instead of 1-2 or whatever). There are lots of ways to balance this so that good faith commenters are rewarded and encouraged to keep posting.

I also want to say that it's not surprising that the policy isn't well designed for people who have been commenting more than 5 years in the same place: when the forums were created, no one knew how long the game would last. Let's not castigate CG or EA for not seeing the future.

But yes, at this point you can get good posters banned for reasons that really shouldn't result in a ban.

I hope that they think this through when they do the migration to the new forum.
    I mean, technically I can be banned for this comment, which is reasonable in tone and solely meant to be helpful because there's a rule about going off topic. In fact, my first warning ever on the forums was for going off topic in a thread where everyone was going off topic. It was weird as heck, but there it is: any future ban action against me will be one step more serious because one particular mod thought one particular comment was more off topic than it should have been. If I get banned today, at least you know why.
  • Options
    @NatureBoy0713

For the most minor violations they have a system of 3 strikes and you're banned for 24 or 48 hours, then the next minor violation gets you banned for longer (I think a week? I don't know). Most likely in Darjelo's case it was a matter of a couple insignificant infractions with maybe (or maybe not) one significant one, but the last one wasn't significant, so you didn't notice a reason. but the reason is strikes over time, not necessarily bad behaviour in the present.

The problem with that, of course, is that we've been going for 8.5 years now (I personally have been only commenting here for 7.5, but whatevs) and with inconsistent moderation you can think something is okay when it is, in fact, technically a violation of the rules. You get called out the first time and they just delete or edit your comment and it's no big deal. But then you get called out on something completely different 4 years later and now you're one minor infraction away from a ban.

I agree that there needs to be some sort of additive policy so that someone can't just lightly set a toe over the line, but do it repeatedly so that it becomes annoying and ultimately disruptive to the community.

On the other hand, if you're an active poster, you're going to get a warning every now and then -- not least b/c (as I said) different mods see the issues differently so a lot of people might make comments similar to the one that got you in trouble.

IMO minor violations should fall off your record after a certain amount of time -- maybe a year, maybe two. This would prevent repeated small violations that nonetheless harm the community b/c of their frequency while also protecting people like Darjelo who is a great commenter, contributes positively, and simply has left enough posts in the forums that they've inevitably picked up a couple warnings over the years.

Of course, major violations can still result in instant bans and/or not fall off your record (or fall off your record after 5 years instead of 1-2 or whatever). There are lots of ways to balance this so that good faith commenters are rewarded and encouraged to keep posting.

I also want to say that it's not surprising that the policy isn't well designed for people who have been commenting more than 5 years in the same place: when the forums were created, no one knew how long the game would last. Let's not castigate CG or EA for not seeing the future.

But yes, at this point you can get good posters banned for reasons that really shouldn't result in a ban.

I hope that they think this through when they do the migration to the new forum.
    I mean, technically I can be banned for this comment, which is reasonable in tone and solely meant to be helpful because there's a rule about going off topic. In fact, my first warning ever on the forums was for going off topic in a thread where everyone was going off topic. It was weird as heck, but there it is: any future ban action against me will be one step more serious because one particular mod thought one particular comment was more off topic than it should have been. If I get banned today, at least you know why.

Rules can be confusing sometimes. i once got timed out because i told someone about a specific part of the ToS .

I was timed out because of "giving legal advice" wich was weird because thats the main Contract you have with this game
  • Options
    Oscar for most constructively going off topic - Master Seedy.
    There now you’re on topic ;-)
  • Ultra
    11514 posts Moderator
    Options
    let’s get back to the topic

oscar for best thread title?

oscar for best necro?
  • crzydroid
    7315 posts Moderator
    Options
    Speaking of rules, discussion of moderation is against them. So let's stay away from that.
  • Options

oscar for best necro?

-WORLD’s FIRST EVER…..insert something

-abstain lol
  • Sdtbarbarossa
    335 posts Member
    edited April 15
    Options

oscar for best necro?

best necro:

https://forums.galaxy-of-heroes.starwars.ea.com/discussion/comment/2452907#Comment_2452907

not even does he revive a 4 year old thread... he also nails a large chunk of the febuary road ahead... in december 2023... like he litterally nails the gungans (except boomadier) and of course queen amidala... like as he knew

(tbf he gets a lot of stuff wrong aswell)

Edit:
    to be fair on all the necro people... the forum search will not order by date... so if you search if someone posted already before you post... you can end up necro a very old thread
  • Options
    Biggest deceiver: MaruMaru?
  • Options
    Biggest Deciever: SEE.
  • Ultra
    11514 posts Moderator
    Options

oscar for best necro?

best necro:

https://forums.galaxy-of-heroes.starwars.ea.com/discussion/comment/2452907#Comment_2452907

not even does he revive a 4 year old thread... he also nails a large chunk of the febuary road ahead... in december 2023... like he litterally nails the gungans (except boomadier) and of course queen amidala... like as he knew

Edit:
    to be fair on all the necro people... the forum search will not order by date... so if you search if someone posted already before you post... you can end up necro a very old thread

this reminds me

Oscar for worst post is easily someone quoting entire GL kits and then saying one word

like, thanks for adding so much scrolling when browsing the thread...
  • Options
    Most solipsistic understanding of the forums award goes to….

Everyone who started a new thread to post their favourite quote for the crystal giveaway
  • Options

oscar for best necro?

best necro:

Edit:

this reminds me

Oscar for worst post is easily someone quoting entire GL kits and then saying one word

Entire GL Kits? Those are rookie numbers! People have quoted entire Road aheads, including kits lol
  • Ultra
    11514 posts Moderator
    Options

oscar for best necro?

best necro:

Edit:

this reminds me

Entire GL Kits? Those are rookie numbers! People have quoted entire Road aheads, including kits lol

omg so true 😭
  • Options
    i want to nominate Meathead for that Prompt for Crystals thing.

1. Because its really cool and nice
    2. Because it led to tons of people opening random threads, because they didnt readed correctly

It has everything! The good guy, the rewards, the gamble, the drama
  • Options
    The whole forum for inviting daft responses i include my own.