Increased datacron currency limit

I didn't see reference to it anywhere, but after the update I see the datacron currency limit has increased from 30m to 60m.
This is a welcome change, especially during the transition when old datacrons expire.

Thank you!

Replies

• Options
    Yeah, that was always a bad limit.

Thanks, CG.
  • Options
    On the other hand, it does make one wonder why we need ANY limit at all.
    There are tons of currencies in game w/o CAPs on them, not sure why we need all these.
    Just makes me have to be excessively interested in my balances all the time instead of letting them sit for a couple weeks.
  • Options
    Except this thread proves that credits have a cap. We can assume that ship credits also has one. I’d assume that no currency in game has no cap. For real for real.
    F2P since the last time I bought Kyros, Crystals, or the Conquest Pass.
  • crzydroid
    7364 posts Moderator
    Options
    There are tons of currencies in game w/o CAPs on them, not sure why we need all these.
    Just makes me have to be excessively interested in my balances all the time instead of letting them sit for a couple weeks.
    Except this thread proves that credits have a cap. We can assume that ship credits also has one. I’d assume that no currency in game has no cap. For real for real.

Yes, strictly speaking, every variable in the game will have a cap, as there will only be a finite number of bits assigned to them. Possibly you could use a floating point value to get the limit as close to infinity as practical, but I'm not sure CG wants to display things in exponential form.

The question of why impose smaller limits is one of resource management and money. CG has said they don't like people hoarding.
  • Options
    CG has said they don't like people hoarding.

I get that.

I still am opposed to almost any cap that is less than 2.5x the max that people can get at one time.

People have lives, people go on vacation. 2 raids is nearly 40k mk1 tokens, but the cap is 30k. I think that's wrong. Likewise you can get more than 30M DataCron currency from a single exchange, so having a 30M cap is problematic. I don't think the 2.5x rule works quite as readily here as it does for raids and other sources of different currencies because your biggest accrual event is actually a trade-in event. The events also happen much less often (a trade in happens only once every 8 weeks). Even so, so long as any people were bumping up against the 30M cap on a single trade-in event, that was a problem.

If having more than 30M is actually bad for the game, then the trade in value shouldn't be as high as it is. But the cap should still allow people with large amounts of trade in value to get the full amount.

I would be fine with a 30M cap if the trade in value was half of what it is. I'm not saying that CG has to allow us to carry over some amount of CD cash that's larger than any person really needs.

I'm saying that the way that the cap has functioned up until now is to give some people full trade in value and some people less than that. I think that's wrong. This is a good change b/c now everyone will get the same effective exchange rate. Thumbs up from me for the 60M limit, and for increasing other limits that do not allow 2.5x the max amount accrued by a single event -- in particular those Mk1 raid tokens.
  • Options
    Thanks CG. Great change.
  • Options
    Kudos for listening to the players on this one!!!
  • crzydroid
    7364 posts Moderator
    Options
    @MasterSeedy , I am in no way trying to challenge any ideas on what the cap should be, or what is too small. Schwartzring had asked why there is ANY cap at all, which is what I was responding to.
  • Options
    crzydroid wrote: »

Yes, strictly speaking, every variable in the game will have a cap, as there will only be a finite number of bits assigned to them. Possibly you could use a floating point value to get the limit as close to infinity as practical, but I'm not sure CG wants to display things in exponential form.

The question of why impose smaller limits is one of resource management and money. CG has said they don't like people hoarding.

It was a lot of work getting to that pun at the end - but required being a bit pedantic to pull it off. I thought it was worthwhile, but maybe not everyone picked up on it.

(something something... not even my pun... something...)

At any rate, I agree - the caps are there to prevent hoarding. They're on record (somewhere) saying that. I suppose we could say that where there are larger caps - it's almost like having no cap - fr fr.
    F2P since the last time I bought Kyros, Crystals, or the Conquest Pass.
  • Options
    CG has said they don't like people hoarding.

There's hording & then theirs, crap I didn't blow my raid rewards out in 3 days.

Seriously, the Raid-1 tokens are over 50% of the cap in a single raid.

I've lost out on rewards just because the items I was looking for happened to not show up for a couple days & I didn't get in in the last couple hours pre-rewards to just blow it out on anything to buy.

MS has a nice 2.5x figure, not sure where its from but its certainly better than the what, 1.8x figure that Raid-1 tokens has.

Or the one they just "fixed" where if you actually went ALL IN on DC your "exchange" is bigger than the cap, and that is assuming you weren't broke at the time the exchange happens.

Saying "We don't want people hording for months between events" and saying "You have to blow out your currency every other day" are 2 entirely different things & its annoying that some of their caps are forcing you to do just that.

RL Happens, vacations happen, people can sometimes get online to do an event but then miss out on the shopping afterwards.

If you can't bank a few weeks of currency then that is a problem IMHO.
  • Stokat
    832 posts Member
    Options

It was a lot of work getting to that pun at the end - but required being a bit pedantic to pull it off. I thought it was worthwhile, but maybe not everyone picked up on it.

(something something... not even my pun... something...)

At any rate, I agree - the caps are there to prevent hoarding. They're on record (somewhere) saying that. I suppose we could say that where there are larger caps - it's almost like having no cap - fr fr.

I picked up on it ngl
  • Options
    @MasterSeedy , I am in no way trying to challenge any ideas on what the cap should be, or what is too small. Schwartzring had asked why there is ANY cap at all, which is what I was responding to.

Oh, hey. I wasn't criticizing you. I was talking about their policies and how even for those who either agree that hoarding should be illegal or (like me) don't really care as long as everyone is on a level playing field either everyone able to hoard or no one able to it's possible to implement a cap badly.

I got nothing against you, Crzy, and I didn't mean to imply that I did. Sorry for my imprecise wording there.
  • Options
    On that whole cap discussion…. I love the increase on datacache cap.

I wouldn’t mind seeing an increase in MKI raid cap, however even more so what I would like to see there is higher quantities of slicing mats. Currently if you don’t need the gear, all you have to spend in is currency and slicing mats and it’s a bit tedious to have to check store almost 3 times a day just to keep from capping out.
  • Options
    I didn't see reference to it anywhere, but after the update I see the datacron currency limit has increased from 30m to 60m.
    https://forums.galaxy-of-heroes.starwars.ea.com/discussion/269821/update-4-24#latest
    Increase Datacron Credit currency cap to 60 million