Why does favoriting a character decrease their shard drop rate and associated gear drop rates?

Clumsy
3 posts Member
Pretty much title

As a new player I had to unfavorite everyone I was planning for

So do people keep offline records on their farming plans or something to stay organized?

Replies

• Options
    It doesn't affect drop rates at all.

Track them for a month, favorited and not.
  • herd_nerfer
    2071 posts Member
    Options
    It makes no difference at all. You may feel like that's the case, but I assure you it's just confirmation bias. Like Rokaryn_Mazel said, if you track it yourself, you'll see the drop rates are consistent over time and the favorites don't affect it in any way.
    F2P since the last time I bought Kyros, Crystals, or the Conquest Pass.
  • Clumsy
    3 posts Member
    Options
    But has it actually been proven that it DOESN'T effect it?
  • Options
    Clumsy wrote: »

Has it ever been proven that it does effect drop rates?

I’ve done this myself in the past and found drop rates were statistically the same over a month long period, because I’m fun like that.

Also, you’re significantly overestimating CG if you think they could code something like favourites affecting drop rates. Think about how many game-breaking changes they’ve made of late, for fairly insignificant updates and then take the tin-foil hat off 🤣
    Account started June 2020. 100% FTP. 8.2m GP. JMK, JML, SLKR, and SEE. Exe and Levi. Ally code 117-269-921. Swgoh.gg
  • ItsNotMe
    66 posts Member
    Options

🙄🙄🙄

• Options
    It makes no difference at all. You may feel like that's the case, but I assure you it's just confirmation bias. Like Rokaryn_Mazel said, if you track it yourself, you'll see the drop rates are consistent over time and the favorites don't affect it in any way.

When I'm farming toon A, I don't farm toon A, I go to its node, find another resource such as Mk 4 Merr-Sonn Thermal Detonator Prototype Salvage, go back out and find another toon that requires Mk 4 Merr-Sonn Thermal Detonator Prototype Salvage, go through its Find and get to the same node again, only then do I spend the energy. That way I fool the CG algorithm into thinking I'm farming Mk 4 Merr-Sonn Thermal Detonator Prototype Salvage, and thus awards me more shards of toon A which is what I really want. ThIs Has rEAlly Worked weLL fOr Me.
  • LordDirt
    5125 posts Member
    Options

When I'm farming toon A, I don't farm toon A, I go to its node, find another resource such as Mk 4 Merr-Sonn Thermal Detonator Prototype Salvage, go back out and find another toon that requires Mk 4 Merr-Sonn Thermal Detonator Prototype Salvage, go through its Find and get to the same node again, only then do I spend the energy. That way I fool the CG algorithm into thinking I'm farming Mk 4 Merr-Sonn Thermal Detonator Prototype Salvage, and thus awards me more shards of toon A which is what I really want. ThIs Has rEAlly Worked weLL fOr Me.

I thought I was the only one that did that. :s
    Why wasn't Cobb Vanth shards a reward for the Krayt Dragon raid? Why wasn't Endor Gear Luke shards a reward for the Speeder Bike raid?
  • herd_nerfer
    2071 posts Member
    Options

Do you squint your right eye when you hit the sim button?
  • LordDirt
    5125 posts Member
    Options
    I look away
    Why wasn't Cobb Vanth shards a reward for the Krayt Dragon raid? Why wasn't Endor Gear Luke shards a reward for the Speeder Bike raid?
  • Options
    I always press the "M" when pressing the "SIM" button.

The 'M' is for "Make it Hap'n, Cap'n!"
  • Iy4oy4s
    2944 posts Member
    Options

Has it ever been proven that it does effect drop rates?

I’ve done this myself in the past and found drop rates were statistically the same over a month long period, because I’m fun like that.

Also, you’re significantly overestimating CG if you think they could code something like favourites affecting drop rates. Think about how many game-breaking changes they’ve made of late, for fairly insignificant updates and then take the tin-foil hat off 🤣

EA does hold patents on this very issue. I don’t think that CG is using it as I, like many before me, have tracked drop rates myself and found, overall, they are the same. It does suck going 2 for 20 though.
  • Sgarr
    7 posts Member
    Options
    Egnards on reddit has done extensive research on drop rates, using thousands of points of data from multiple people. No it doesn't effect drop rates. It's a confirmation bias.
  • Azpiri
    33 posts Member
    Options

Egnard has done studies on drop rates and perceived notions. One notion was "The drop rates decrease when you need just 1 more". Another notion was "Time of day affects the drops" and all these other myths.

It's only "feels" that way, but I have favorited toons and haven't really seen a difference.

• Options
    Perhaps we’re all missing the obvious solution. Favourite everything except what you actually want to farm, and BAM, 100% drop rate.
    Account started June 2020. 100% FTP. 8.2m GP. JMK, JML, SLKR, and SEE. Exe and Levi. Ally code 117-269-921. Swgoh.gg
  • Clumsy
    3 posts Member
    edited May 14
    Options

But isn't it kitten that you have to go through all this just to play the game normally? How do you not burn out? Because I want to do this
    Post edited by crzydroid on
  • Options

But isn't it **** that you have to go through all this just to play the game normally? How do you not burn out? Because I want to do this

Pretty sure Peachy was joking.
  • Options
    Perhaps we’re all missing the obvious solution. Favourite everything except what you actually want to farm, and BAM, 100% drop rate.

I was thinking about this too but then realized how easy it is for them to set their algorithm such that after a certain number of favorites the drop rate penalty reverses to the non-favorites

• Options

I was thinking about this too but then realized how easy it is for them to set their algorithm such that after a certain number of favorites the drop rate penalty reverses to the non-favorites

I was being facetious…
  • Jacgul
    272 posts Member
    Options

I was being facetious…

I'm not even sure if the op is serious or not at this point.
  • Tsfletch
    204 posts Member
    Options
    Sgarr wrote: »
    Egnards on reddit has done extensive research on drop rates, using thousands of points of data from multiple people. No it doesn't effect drop rates. It's a confirmation bias.

My brother’s cousin’s nephew’s former roommate told me Egnard was paid off by CG….
  • Egnards
    15 posts Member
    Options
    Tsfletch wrote: »
    Sgarr wrote: »

My brother’s cousin’s nephew’s former roommate told me Egnard was paid off by CG….
    CG couldn’t afford me