The Acolyte - first thoughts?

Wed_Santa
1036 posts Member
(Please use spoiler tags as appropriate)

Well, I enjoyed it. It wasn’t the greatest show but far from the worse. The characters were likeable and the fights and pacing were tight (definitely a lot tighter than Kenobi). There were some pretty gaping plot holes here and there but it sat squarely in the fun fantasy bracket.

I’d definitely like to see Sol and Mae in the game - not sure about the other Jedi masters…

It’s also good to watch a show without plot armour for any of the characters. The writers have certainly embraced their license to kill with gusto.

I’m definitely going to watch the next episode

Replies

• TTVredpandaplays99
    69 posts Member
    edited June 6
    Options
    [/test]
    I only watched first episode, but it was enjoyable. Just hope the figure at the end of episode one is an actual Sith and not just some random dude who found a lightsaber in his attic
  • Options
    Feels great to be in a different time period, first two eps were good and i'm keen to see if they can keep it up.
  • LordDirt
    5169 posts Member
    edited June 8
    Options
    [/test]
    I only watched first episode, but it was enjoyable. Just hope the figure at the end of episode one is an actual Sith and not just some random dude who found a lightsaber in his attic

If that is true then Disney screwed it up for SW TPM
    Why wasn't Cobb Vanth shards a reward for the Krayt Dragon raid? Why wasn't Endor Gear Luke shards a reward for the Speeder Bike raid?
  • LordDirt
    5169 posts Member
    Options
    It is ok so far but it still relies on SW tropes.
    Why wasn't Cobb Vanth shards a reward for the Krayt Dragon raid? Why wasn't Endor Gear Luke shards a reward for the Speeder Bike raid?
  • Options
    I thought it was okay, I dont see why its getting so much bad press honestly.
  • Lumiya
    1582 posts Member
    Options
    As of yet I am not really that hooked. It's quite generic and somehow lacks the typical Star Wars feel for me.

I also find some of the characters a bit too "dumb".
    You have someone whom is accused of a murder, she gets questioned, tells them she has an alibi because she was on the ship... which I am sure could be quite easily proven and yet they still arrest her.

Then, the Council people know she had a -twin-sister and even after her transport crashes and she has another alibi, and even her Master mentions it could be her sister it is questioned?
    We are all made of star-stuff
  • Options

It's a matter of hating something for the sake of hating it, I guess. I enjoyed the first two episodes and am looking forward to the rest of the series, especially about the Sith and his speech, what happened regarding the fire, etc. I look at Kenobi, Ahsoka, Acolyte, etc., and see shows that add to Star Wars in new and unique ways. Meanwhile, other people just can't accept the fact that everyone has their own viewpoints and tastes. Instead, they start insulting people left and right, nitpick every little scene and the "agendas" behind them, and in general complain that these shows/movies/etc. don't fit THEIR OWN idea of what Star Wars should be.
  • Wed_Santa
    1036 posts Member
    Options
    Lumiya wrote: »
    As of yet I am not really that hooked. It's quite generic and somehow lacks the typical Star Wars feel for me.

I also find some of the characters a bit too "dumb".
    You have someone whom is accused of a murder, she gets questioned, tells them she has an alibi because she was on the ship... which I am sure could be quite easily proven and yet they still arrest her.

Then, the Council people know she had a -twin-sister and even after her transport crashes and she has another alibi, and even her Master mentions it could be her sister it is questioned?

Yes - I’ve been struggling a bit by how obtuse the Jedi seem to be but I’ve opted to give the show the benefit of the doubt and guess that this is what happens when a society becomes complacent after centuries of peace and an uncontested position of authority. They just aren’t prepared to have to think more critically to deal with a powerful and cunning opponent. There might even be a few lessons there - there’s something about a ‘normalcy delusion’ whereby human communities really struggle to deal with paradigm shifts (like the passengers on the Titanic who paddled about in the water trying to go about their normal business as it seeped into their corridors)
  • LordDirt
    5169 posts Member
    edited June 9
    Options

It's a matter of hating something for the sake of hating it, I guess. I enjoyed the first two episodes and am looking forward to the rest of the series, especially about the Sith and his speech, what happened regarding the fire, etc. I look at Kenobi, Ahsoka, Acolyte, etc., and see shows that add to Star Wars in new and unique ways. Meanwhile, other people just can't accept the fact that everyone has their own viewpoints and tastes. Instead, they start insulting people left and right, nitpick every little scene and the "agendas" behind them, and in general complain that these shows/movies/etc. don't fit THEIR OWN idea of what Star Wars should be.

The issue is the Jedi hadnt seen a Sith for a thousand years during Episode 1. This show is a hundred years before Episode 1. The enemy cant be a Sith or Disney once again messed up SW.

"The Sith have been extinct for a millennium" - KAM
    “I do not believe the Sith could have returned without our knowing.” - Mace

Wouldnt some jedi remember what happened a 100 years earlier? Yoda was alive then and I am sure he will make an appearance in this show.
  • Options
    LordDirt wrote: »

The issue is the Jedi hadnt seen a Sith for a thousand years during Episode 1. This show is a hundred years before Episode 1. The enemy cant be a Sith or Disney once again messed up SW.

Wouldnt some jedi remember what happened a 100 years earlier? Yoda was alive then and I am sure he will make an appearance in this show.

You have a point, but remember, we only have the first two episodes so far. It may not be an actual Sith, more like a Ventress-type apprentice/assassin. But even if it is, there are ways of explaining it. Example, Vernestra talked about keeping Indara's murder a secret, who's to say they won't try to keep the Sith a secret if they think they have dealt with them. Or, the group sent to investigate/confront the Sith dies, so the rest of the Order has no way of knowing what happened (look at the trailers, namely the end, where the Jedi ignite their lightsabers and are then swept away by a blast). Besides, look at Episode 1, when Qui-Gon informs the Council of his encounter with Maul and they refuse to consider the possibility. And later on, Yoda and Windu mention the Rule of Two; something must have happened at some point, otherwise how would they know about it? My point is, it's still too early to judge.
  • Options
    LordDirt wrote: »

You have a point, but remember, we only have the first two episodes so far. It may not be an actual Sith, more like a Ventress-type apprentice/assassin. But even if it is, there are ways of explaining it. Example, Vernestra talked about keeping Indara's murder a secret, who's to say they won't try to keep the Sith a secret if they think they have dealt with them. Or, the group sent to investigate/confront the Sith dies, so the rest of the Order has no way of knowing what happened (look at the trailers, namely the end, where the Jedi ignite their lightsabers and are then swept away by a blast). Besides, look at Episode 1, when Qui-Gon informs the Council of his encounter with Maul and they refuse to consider the possibility. And later on, Yoda and Windu mention the Rule of Two; something must have happened at some point, otherwise how would they know about it? My point is, it's still too early to judge.

Jar Jar told them about the rule of two