Whale advantage discussion

Snake
158 posts Member
I've seen a few posts by @cosmicturtle333 about his/her perceived lack of whale advantage. I want to be clear, I don't want this post to turn into an argument about whether whales have an advantage or not. I don't really care about that.

What I'm curious about is this. Whales, do you truly want a large advantage in a game like this?

I'm a completely f2p player. It's against my personal principles to spend a large amount of money on a game I will likely have forgotten about in less than two years. However, I don't judge spenders at all. I'm sure there are things I buy that people would think I'm crazy for buying. I say all that to emphasize the point that I can't understand the way a whale thinks. That's why I make this post.

If I felt fine spending money on a game like this, I'm not sure I would to win all the time against f2pers. To me it seems like this is the perfect game for whales because it basically gives you more options, but not really any other advantage over f2pers. It would still feel like victories have been earned, regardless of how much money you spent.

I'd like to know the counter point from a whales point of view. I'm sure there are many different ones. And again, this post is not meant to start an argument or offend anyone.
-Snake

Replies

• reizse
    1447 posts Member
    Options
    mostly perceived advantage.
    hi, I bought a murcielago that can get me to the hottest sushi spot in less time than it would take you in a prius. oh, but there's speed limits to keep us all at the same pace. well, I still accelerate faster than you and I have a bigger peen.

mighty chlorians
  • Options
    #savethewhales
    My name is cosmicturtle333, aka CT-333, aka Threes.
  • Options
    Nah, whales do have an advantage, they can react quicker to meta changes.

But how many chromium only heroes do you see in the top 20?
    My name is cosmicturtle333, aka CT-333, aka Threes.
  • reizse
    1447 posts Member
    Options
    only leia cuz the rest of the chromium exclusives are worth ****. at least currently.
    mighty chlorians
  • Snake
    158 posts Member
    Options
    I don't keep track, but I'm guessing very few? But do you want a bigger advantage because you spent money? Or is it sort of a kind of yes kind of no answer
    -Snake
  • reizse
    1447 posts Member
    Options
    lol it censored j@ck b00t?
    mighty chlorians
  • Options
    reizse wrote: »
    lol it censored j@ck b00t?

Haha! It censored cra p on me.
  • Mazurka
    961 posts Member
    Options
    Haha no real advantage in Arena. I farmed Rey GS, and got my RG up to 4*, and now with Dooku lead, I am just as competitive. It's really fun to use my friends GG, and being a whale offers you a lot of flexibility. Wanna run an ewok team? No need to farm for months. Oh RG is good? Cool have him at 7. imagine how much fun GW is for a whale. They probly just auto and watch it
  • Jsnazz
    349 posts Member
    Options
    Whales don't matter much to me since this game don't have any sort of real time PvP. Its just them vs scripted AI , doing it all night long.

Once they're bored being a farmer / addict / slave, they'll just quit and lost everything they invested. Its simple as that.

• Timitock
    2844 posts Member
    Options
    The advantage is an accelerated timeline, as is appropriate.

Also, the Arena can be bought.

If a disparity becomes apparent, the F2P will leave for a game that is fair.
  • Options
    I'm probably a dolphin <$1k usd. I wish there was more of an advantage to be honest. I have a second f2p account and place top 5 whenever I try, with a few 1s in arena. It just takes a tad longer. F2p just need to concentrate on one character from each mode at a time. By placing well, I have been able to buy enough refreshes to stay very competitive.
  • Predian
    615 posts Member
    Options
    What I like as an almost-whale is that I have four viable arena teams to mess around with at the top 1-5 rankings on my server. I'm definitely paying for the variety, not the dominance.
  • LeoRavus
    1165 posts Member
    Options
    The only advantage they have is getting what they want faster. Lack of patience is the only thing that compels people to spend any amount of money on this game whether they realize it or not.
  • bleeaauuh
    1006 posts Member
    Options
    Thier only
    Advantage is that they are quicker and more versatile, while the average f2p will have 5-10 maxed characters the whales will have 40. While the game is no evolving the f2p can easily match the p2p eventually as they do now. But if the game changed dramatically tommorow then the whales would have a big advantage for an amount of time. As the levels go higher and the grinding gets harder this speed differential between the player base will increase.
    For me as a whale the advantage dosent come
    From the chromium and never really has.
  • Options
    Timitock wrote: »
    The advantage is an accelerated timeline, as is appropriate.

Also, the Arena can be bought.

If a disparity becomes apparent, the F2P will leave for a game that is fair.

This. +1