Nute Leadership Isn't Broken! Here is why

13Next

Replies

• Jensxn
    173 posts Member
    Options
    Qeltar wrote: »
    IMO, leader abilities should be strongest if they require synergy of some sort, and much weaker if they apply to everyone at all times. A blanket +25% turn meter on all crits at all times is ridiculously overpowered.

That would be useful if there were actually any usable characters, but synergy is generally meaningless in this game for now. For now, the only diversity will be in teams that synergize with good blanket leadership abilities, or just a group of powerful characters. Hopefully leaders become more synergy and class dependent, but for now, sadly that isn't the case. Dooku, Sidious, etc all have great blanket abilities, and as such, they all end up being leader, while no other characters see use. In a few months, hopefully this changes with more characters, and then finally synergy can be the factor in making or breaking a squad, but right now, synergy is useless. Anyone that isn't a blanket enabler or just straight up ridiculously powerful alone, they won't see use, and that sucks
  • CPMP
    974 posts Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Jensxn wrote: »
    Nute's description for his ability is composed of this, and says "Backroom Subterfuge - Stealthed allies gain 55% Critical Chance and gain 25% Turn Meter on a Critical hit." If you switch the clauses order around, you get "Backroom Subterfuge- Gain 25% turn meter on a critical hit, and stealthed allies gain 55% critical chance." This is what the current ability actually is, and it makes sense when worded this way, albeit still worded oddly. The main grammatical error is that the second clause is incomplete, and lacks a subject, specifically a pronoun, or a noun. To fix the wording of the ability, for its current state, it would read: "Backroom Subterfuge - Stealthed allies gain 55% Critical Chance, and all allies 25% Turn Meter on a Critical hit." If this is incorrect and both the description and the ability in action are both wrong, then the description should read "Backroom Subterfuge - Stealthed allies gain 55% Critical Chance, and they gain 25% Turn Meter on a Critical hit," or "Backroom Subterfuge - Stealthed allies gain both 55% Critical Chance, and 25% Turn Meter on a Critical hit." However, probability states that it is more likely only one person that made a mistake. As a result, it is likely the description is the broken factor, not the ability in action. If the ability is bugged, then both the description writer made an error, and the in game ability developer and coder had to have made an error.

I've been a professional writer and editor for almost 20 years and this is the most tortured attempt to deconstruct simple English that I have ever seen. :)
    "Stealthed allies gain 55% Critical Chance and gain 25% Turn Meter on a Critical Hit." This is extremely clear. There is only one noun clause, with a single modifying adjective: "stealthed allies". Therefore the rest of the sentence applies only to stealthed allies unless a specific exception is made. It wasn't. There isn't even a comma. The meaning here is beyond obvious.
    There is no possible rational interpretation of a sentence of the form "(adjective) (noun) gains X and gains Y" where somehow X is gained when the adjective applies and Y is gained regardless of the adjective.
    There are some poorly written abilities in the game. This is not one of them. If they wanted it to be as you say, they could have simply made it two sentences: "Stealthed allies gain 55% Critical Chance. All Allies gain 25% Turn Meter on a Critical Hit."
    On top of all that, a leader ability granting 25% turn meter for each critical hit on all allies would be insanely broken anyway.

I'll cede to those more qualified, I'm definitely not an editor. I think Nute Leadership isn't really broken, I think it's a bit low to be actually overpowered. Lando just benefits massively from it due to the nature of his abilities, other characters like clone sergeant, Kylo, and ventress would be murderous if any of them land enough crits, and later with new phasma, they would easily be overpowered. I hope there is a deterrent to phasma AOE teams with the update, AOE auto crit sounds legitimately overpowered

If Nute's Leadership was working as intended, it would be very underpowered. Only ewoks get a benefit from Nute leader and Leia. But as it is now, while people don't believe it's OP yet, i'm sure more combinations would be found to abuse this 100%. First hero that comes to mind that will benefit from this, is GS. He has high crit already and gains 30% turn meter on crit. Another hero is Dooku. Whiners already say he attacks many times because he gains turn meter when attacking outside of his turn, other than his 100% counter + bonus attack. Well, add crits to that and more turn meter. With RNGjesus' help, he won't stop attacking, lol.
    I think Nute's leadership needs a rework than a fix.
  • Jensxn
    173 posts Member
    Options
    CPMP wrote: »
    Nute's description for his ability is composed of this, and says "Backroom Subterfuge - Stealthed allies gain 55% Critical Chance and gain 25% Turn Meter on a Critical hit." If you switch the clauses order around, you get "Backroom Subterfuge- Gain 25% turn meter on a critical hit, and stealthed allies gain 55% critical chance." This is what the current ability actually is, and it makes sense when worded this way, albeit still worded oddly. The main grammatical error is that the second clause is incomplete, and lacks a subject, specifically a pronoun, or a noun. To fix the wording of the ability, for its current state, it would read: "Backroom Subterfuge - Stealthed allies gain 55% Critical Chance, and all allies 25% Turn Meter on a Critical hit." If this is incorrect and both the description and the ability in action are both wrong, then the description should read "Backroom Subterfuge - Stealthed allies gain 55% Critical Chance, and they gain 25% Turn Meter on a Critical hit," or "Backroom Subterfuge - Stealthed allies gain both 55% Critical Chance, and 25% Turn Meter on a Critical hit." However, probability states that it is more likely only one person that made a mistake. As a result, it is likely the description is the broken factor, not the ability in action. If the ability is bugged, then both the description writer made an error, and the in game ability developer and coder had to have made an error.

I've been a professional writer and editor for almost 20 years and this is the most tortured attempt to deconstruct simple English that I have ever seen. :)
    "Stealthed allies gain 55% Critical Chance and gain 25% Turn Meter on a Critical Hit." This is extremely clear. There is only one noun clause, with a single modifying adjective: "stealthed allies". Therefore the rest of the sentence applies only to stealthed allies unless a specific exception is made. It wasn't. There isn't even a comma. The meaning here is beyond obvious.
    There is no possible rational interpretation of a sentence of the form "(adjective) (noun) gains X and gains Y" where somehow X is gained when the adjective applies and Y is gained regardless of the adjective.
    There are some poorly written abilities in the game. This is not one of them. If they wanted it to be as you say, they could have simply made it two sentences: "Stealthed allies gain 55% Critical Chance. All Allies gain 25% Turn Meter on a Critical Hit."
    On top of all that, a leader ability granting 25% turn meter for each critical hit on all allies would be insanely broken anyway.

I'll cede to those more qualified, I'm definitely not an editor. I think Nute Leadership isn't really broken, I think it's a bit low to be actually overpowered. Lando just benefits massively from it due to the nature of his abilities, other characters like clone sergeant, Kylo, and ventress would be murderous if any of them land enough crits, and later with new phasma, they would easily be overpowered. I hope there is a deterrent to phasma AOE teams with the update, AOE auto crit sounds legitimately overpowered

If Nute's Leadership was working as intended, it would be very underpowered. Only ewoks get a benefit from Nute leader and Leia. But as it is now, while people don't believe it's OP yet, i'm sure more combinations would be found to abuse this 100%. First hero that comes to mind that will benefit from this, is GS. He has high crit already and gains 30% turn meter on crit. Another hero is Dooku. Whiners already say he attacks many times because he gains turn meter when attacking outside of his turn, other than his 100% counter + bonus attack. Well, add crits to that and more turn meter. With RNGjesus' help, he won't stop attacking, lol.
    I think Nute's leadership needs a rework than a fix.

It should go more like stealthed allies get all those, and all allies gain half these bonuses, that would be quite fair. Also how dare you forget NS Acolyte! Jokes aside, she actually is partially immortal with a Nute lead and stealth, since she gains a quarter of her health on a crit. Outside them, Dathcha can benefit, but only if he is an assist. In the files also,

(SPOILER)

Dark side Barriss has powerful stealth abilities as well, and would actually be broken with a Nute lead
  • Options
    Hey folks, just to make sure there is absolutely no confusion: Nute's Leader ability description is explicit and correct--the effects are only supposed to benefit Stealthed allies. It is currently bugged, and will be fixed in an upcoming update.
  • Nonemo
    1656 posts Member
    Options
    CG_Method wrote: »
    Hey folks, just to make sure there is absolutely no confusion: Nute's Leader ability description is explicit and correct--the effects are only supposed to benefit Stealthed allies. It is currently bugged, and will be fixed in an upcoming update.

What! And we've had this perfectly legitimate debate over grammar for nothing?! Boo!

Also, thanks for good info. Then I'll not max my Nute after all. :P
  • Qeltar
    4326 posts Member
    Options
    @CG_Method - Thanks.
    IMO stealth needs a rework in general as it is not very useful right now with a few exceptions (Leia is nasty when triple-hitting from stealth). But my guess is they will revamp it at some point.
    Quit 7/14/16. Best of luck to all of you.
  • Options
    IMO, leader abilities should be strongest if they require synergy of some sort, and much weaker if they apply to everyone at all times. A blanket +25% turn meter on all crits at all times is ridiculously overpowered.

I think the way they should work is that every leader ability has Ability A that applies to everyone and either a stronger Ability A, or an Ability B, that only applies to the synergy. Like Dooku could give evasion to everyone but Offense Up only to Sith. And some leaders that only do synergy abilities could partly benefit everyone.
  • Phipps
    1107 posts Member
    Options
    ....well if this is the case... what about dooku? since it's not ridiculous enough as is and has absolutely nothing to do with synergy since it apples to everyone.

Maybe we should just increase his dodge and just get it over with so everyone runs him, get rid of any outliers in the top 50 of any leader board
  • Options
    Phipps wrote: »
    ....well if this is the case... what about dooku? since it's not ridiculous enough as is and has absolutely nothing to do with synergy since it apples to everyone.

Maybe we should just increase his dodge and just get it over with so everyone runs him, get rid of any outliers in the top 50 of any leader board

If they increased Dooku's dodge to 100% it would create a very interesting meta.

• Jensxn
    173 posts Member
    Options

Good to know, glad to have a response in here
  • Jensxn
    173 posts Member
    Options
    @CG_Method - Thanks.
    IMO stealth needs a rework in general as it is not very useful right now with a few exceptions (Leia is nasty when triple-hitting from stealth). But my guess is they will revamp it at some point.

Maybe make it where a character in stealth can't be evaded if they attack? Or where they can't counter? It might devalue Grevious' basic some, but it would help take down on the annoyance of the dodge meta, and make a viable counter in stealth for dodges, since there isn't exactly a solid counter to dodge
  • Options
    So that is it... one less viable leader. Let's all play Dooku!!! Once we have Clone Wars, not we have Dooku Wars.
    Mestre Fábio - My YouTube Channel - My SwGOH profile - Brazilian player? Come to play with us, AAT heroic, contact me
  • Asic
    1146 posts Member
    Options

Back to dooku leader then.... Oh well. Thanks for the clarification.

• Phipps
    1107 posts Member
    Options
    @fberbert

Come on be fair....there's QGJ too.

I wish they would just nerf the turn meter gain if his leader ability became OP like down to 10-15% on crit.
  • Options
    Phipps wrote: »
    @fberbert

Come on be fair....there's QGJ too.

I wish they would just nerf the turn meter gain if his leader ability became OP like down to 10-15% on crit.

Fair enough! I missed QGJ lol

Critical shots occurs near 20% of times, Nute, even broken, never will be OP. In some cases, with good synergy and RNG, it can bring awesome and devastating wins, but not consistent ones.

I hope EA reconsider this "nerf"/bug fix.
    Mestre Fábio - My YouTube Channel - My SwGOH profile - Brazilian player? Come to play with us, AAT heroic, contact me
  • Telaan
    3454 posts Member
    Options
    It's broken. It does not match the ability description and the Devs have said it's broken.
  • Options

Let's hope while they are at it they fix his thermal detonator too to keep him at least semi useful
  • GOfish52
    222 posts Member
    Options
    Lando needs a bit of a balancing act for sure, more health, and then make enabling his AOE harder, like a cooldown where he can use it only every other turn instead
    That's laughable... Lando is slow as sh**. If they nerfed him he'd be even less usable in arena than he already is.
  • Options
    From the English language standpoint, it is a bug.
    However, given there is nothing to farm, why not Lando and Nute? Perhaps it will appear as a wording mistake in description, rather than a bug in the end of the day
  • Usho
    586 posts Member
    Options
    GOfish52 wrote: »
    Lando needs a bit of a balancing act for sure, more health, and then make enabling his AOE harder, like a cooldown where he can use it only every other turn instead
    That's laughable... Lando is slow as sh**. If they nerfed him he'd be even less usable in arena than he already is.

+1 people who cant beat lando and maul are ridiculous..