Geared Magma Trooper Viable?

Prev1
Stuwart
137 posts Member
Does anyone have a geared Magma trooper? I have lvl 70, 7 star, gear 8, but from there to gear 10 and 80 he will gain over 1,000 physical damage.

Right now he hits about the same as Baris which is a complete joke.

Anyone test him out?

Replies

• Options
    Yes but he gain 60% TM which is alot.
  • Options
    Ha ha, no no no no no. Such a waist, thankfully he is in GW so it doesn't matter all that much to me. I think you would need to tripple his damage and potency before he becomes viable. In his current form he does less damage than JKG, who at least has enough potency for her utility to work.
  • Higher
    165 posts Member
    Options
    You will regret everything if you invest in magma trooper trust me
  • slickdealer
    1801 posts Member
    Options
    Ha ha, no no no no no. Such a waist

He looks fairly skinny to me.
  • Asmodeius
    105 posts Member
    Options
    I foolishly invested in this character since he seemed so cool. He is not worth anything.
  • Options
    I actually love Magmatrooper! I've been using him since like level 74. Outside of an Empire squad he is pretty good assuming you can get the ton of stun cuffs that he needs. I eventually put together an Empire squad and this is where he shines. The 30% buff from Vader and the additional -10% TM from the leader ability makes him even better. His damage gets bumped to about 3k (critical hits are in the 5k).

He is also a great counter to Fives. When Fives attempts to constantly apply speed down on Magmatrooper it only speeds him up. One time Magmatrooper went like 4 times in a row because Fives kept trying to debuff him. Besides this being one of my favorite abilities, I absolutely love the fact that he has a ton of protection unlike his brother Stormtrooper. If Magma had a taunt that would be even better.

Only complaint I have is that his AoE does not do critical damage and sometimes the enemy resists his AoE TM reduction but it works for the most part. Even without the critical damage it still applies a good amount of hurting. I once used him with a Vader lead and a Poggle offense buff and it was almost applying 4k in damage per enemy. I would highly recommend him only if you have already gotten your Phasma, Poggle, Lumi, etc.

JUwJVe0.jpg

DZmPNUn.jpg
  • Options
    I'm still going to develop him to gear ix, with hopes they fix him. I have him 7* lvl 70. And Empire. I will have 5 7* Empire toons when the event comes out. I'm not making the mistake I did with the Jedi event.
  • Options
    I'm not optimistic about Empire teams, seems like Yoda would have a field day against a team with RG, Vader, Tarkin, Magma, and Veers. His tenacity up would remove all utility that team gains from TM reduction, dots, and offense down on their Aoe. What you would have left would be a relatively tanky team with not great damage and not great speed.
  • Smapty
    1260 posts Member
    Options
    He is solid in an empire team and serves his purpose there... Outside of that he lost a lot of his usefulness with TM reduction now able to be resisted. His damage is pretty low although not as awful once he is geared up.
  • K_G0sling
    839 posts Member
    Options
    Since we're on-topic for Magmatrooper I have a question since you guys are obvious users and promoters of him. Has anyone seen an issue where using your Imploder and the enemy TM is low, it drains it then bounces it to like 75% FULL? I feel like when I use my Imploder it GIVES the enemy speed-up instead of the opposite.
  • Options
    I'm not optimistic about Empire teams, seems like Yoda would have a field day against a team with RG, Vader, Tarkin, Magma, and Veers. His tenacity up would remove all utility that team gains from TM reduction, dots, and offense down on their Aoe. What you would have left would be a relatively tanky team with not great damage and not great speed.

Luckily most people on my server do not use Yoda anymore. The typical Dooku, RG, Rey, GS, and whatever squads pollute where I play. This Empire squad keeps me in the Top 10-20 before I take my turns so it must be doing something right :)

If this was prior to the protection patch then Yoda would definitely be everywhere to counter all the debuffs. But I rarely see him anymore.

Even without Vader's damage buff Magma pretty much hits at the average for basic attacks which is at like 2k-3k
  • Tankage
    19 posts Member
    Options
    I have him 7 stars GL 8 and he's terrible - maybe he gets magically fixed when he's at GL 10 but my guess is you'll be regretting putting all that effort into him rather than someone who can actually be useful
  • Options
    K_G0sling wrote: »
    Since we're on-topic for Magmatrooper I have a question since you guys are obvious users and promoters of him. Has anyone seen an issue where using your Imploder and the enemy TM is low, it drains it then bounces it to like 75% FULL? I feel like when I use my Imploder it GIVES the enemy speed-up instead of the opposite.

I haven't seen that happen before. I've been using him for a few weeks and only time I noticed that is when Old Ben is leading on the other team and someone dodges the attack. Were you playing up against a QGJ squad or something where they have fast speed?
  • Jabba
    1033 posts Member
    Options
    I actually love Magmatrooper! I've been using him since like level 74. Outside of an Empire squad he is pretty good assuming you can get the ton of stun cuffs that he needs. I eventually put together an Empire squad and this is where he shines. The 30% buff from Vader and the additional -10% TM from the leader ability makes him even better. His damage gets bumped to about 3k (critical hits are in the 5k).

He is also a great counter to Fives. When Fives attempts to constantly apply speed down on Magmatrooper it only speeds him up. One time Magmatrooper went like 4 times in a row because Fives kept trying to debuff him. Besides this being one of my favorite abilities, I absolutely love the fact that he has a ton of protection unlike his brother Stormtrooper. If Magma had a taunt that would be even better.

Only complaint I have is that his AoE does not do critical damage and sometimes the enemy resists his AoE TM reduction but it works for the most part. Even without the critical damage it still applies a good amount of hurting. I once used him with a Vader lead and a Poggle offense buff and it was almost applying 4k in damage per enemy. I would highly recommend him only if you have already gotten your Phasma, Poggle, Lumi, etc.

JUwJVe0.jpg

DZmPNUn.jpg

I am building empire team I'm almost done well except for Vader who is In g9 at 5 star. The main thing I see with Magmatrooper is he needs potency that aoe needs to work on at least a couple enemy and I just don't see it. I been running Vader lead Stormtrooper Phasma RG ig88 and win for great percentage against meta teams but drop on defense pretty badly. Magma just don't cut The mustard right now can't even lick the jar. Stormtrooper gains potency up to 80 percent in g9 why so high for him magma needs that makes me wander if mistake and was intended for magma.

• Options
    I haven't seen that happen before. I've been using him for a few weeks and only time I noticed that is when Old Ben is leading on the other team and someone dodges the attack. Were you playing up against a QGJ squad or something where they have fast speed?

The only SPECIFIC case I have is the Rancor, for sure. If he has maybe 1/4 of his TM bar blue, I'll throw the Imploder, it'll drain the TM to nothing, but then bounce right up to 3/4 full. Immediately. This is even in a case where he just had his turn, and there's 5 of me out there. I try to keep his meter as low as possible, with Yoda and Magma, but it seems like the Imploder is doing the opposite because it works perfectly with Yoda.

Maybe I'm crazy, but just wondering if anyone had noticed this in-general.
  • Baldo
    2863 posts Member
    Options
    Don't do it
  • Options

The only SPECIFIC case I have is the Rancor, for sure. If he has maybe 1/4 of his TM bar blue, I'll throw the Imploder, it'll drain the TM to nothing, but then bounce right up to 3/4 full. Immediately. This is even in a case where he just had his turn, and there's 5 of me out there. I try to keep his meter as low as possible, with Yoda and Magma, but it seems like the Imploder is doing the opposite because it works perfectly with Yoda.

Maybe I'm crazy, but just wondering if anyone had noticed this in-general.

Maybe his tenacity has something to do with it? I haven't notice, but I haven't paid attention. I use him against the rancor, so I'll pay attention next time
  • Options
    The rancor gains TM every time you attack him.
    | John Salera is my favorite Sith Lord |
  • JediMasterSavageVic
    110 posts Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I got magma trooper just to get him. I have him 7* . I'm only missing like 5 people left in GW to get 7* ( the 5th is cad bane , before him I had 4 ) . I should've done magma trooper last. He's not very good at all. He has really high health but he's slow and hits like a wet noodle even at gear 10.
  • Options
    Good onto here I was thinking of grabbing him next from gw
  • Dashel
    24 posts Member
    Options
    I got him lvl 79, 2 pieces away from gear 10, ability maxed and omega on his basic. I'm just still looking for his damage, I just can't see them. Critic a 3k while a similar geared 5s have 40k life... What a joke. TM get resisted and the worst is he still takes lots of debuff despite the supposed Tenacity buffs he has.
    I regret gearing him up so much
  • Jabba
    1033 posts Member
    Options
    He needs stormtroopers potency why dos Stormtrooper have 80 potency in g10 and magma has none well he may no idea 2 pieces gear from g10 but such gamble to waste resources on the unknown. Tarkin and magma need the 80 potency maybe a mistake Stormtroopera tm reduction when hit while taunting don't justify that high is it just me or does that seem odd
  • Options
    I got magma trooper just to get him. I have him 7* . I'm only missing like 5 people left in GW to get 7* ( the 5th is cad bane , before him I had 4 ) . I should've done magma trooper last. He's not very good at all. He has really high health but he's slow and hits like a wet noodle even at gear 10.

I'm in a similar boat to this gentleman and I agree. I rolled the dice on magma before the big update thinking magma would benefit greatly. I was very wrong.
  • Options
    I thought he would be cool and I did give him a real chance in for a while but he's just no good to me
  • Jabba
    1033 posts Member
    Options
    I'm hoping that g10 gives him potency that's all magma needs for that aoe to stick it seems all empire get it potency late but Tarkin and magma I haven't seen any yet
  • Options
    Jabba wrote: »
    I'm hoping that g10 gives him potency that's all magma needs for that aoe to stick it seems all empire get it potency late but Tarkin and magma I haven't seen any yet

Tarkin is reliable against Rancor.
  • Options

You're PR just watching the meter refill at its normal rate. Maybe?
  • Options
    Higher wrote: »
    You will regret everything if you invest in magma trooper trust me

Yeah this toon is garbage
  • Options
    Ok guys I didn't see this one before but you should all go ask for a potency buff on my post about this...I argue that he needs at least 60% potency. I am willing to use him with his low damage so long as his tm manipulation works correctly. Please go ask on that post as well so EA is likely to see it. MT is great and EA should know that he needs buffing.
  • DeepChu
    185 posts Member
    Options
    Does anybody knows if he really has 87% potency at gear X? Because I can't find the gear which gives that 80% extra potency...