Reality check for F2P: Whales will soon eat you for lunch!

Prev1
xJazzx
808 posts Member
edited January 2016
All whale teams have QuiGonJinn and when the level 90 cap is released probably in the next few months, QGJ will be able to upgrade his leadership to increase the speed for all allies. This leadership skill "agility training" will give "+25 speed to ALL allies" and no longer limited to only Jedi.

With a patch, F2P teams will most likely lose one character with even before the F2P player begins his first turn. Just imagine the barrage of burst from FOTP, QGJ and another DPS. Most likely you will absorb at least 15k of damage before you start your turn. Can your glass cannons survive 15k of damage? Also, let's not forget whales' Poe will go before yours and reduce your turn meter and expose your team. Sad, isn't it?

Suggestion: If you play this game to rank top with low amount of cash$ and take pleasure in defeating those who have a better squad, you will find yourself disappointed being ranked perpetually below the whales. Of course, the fact is most mobile games are P2W. This thread is meant to be a reality check for F2P. Enjoy the game and may the force be with you.

Maybe the sharpest minds can chip in. @WhipIT @Qeltar @JohnnySteelAlpha @Keaven @SeroZero @Nonemo @Kylven

Source: http://www.swgohdb.com/heroes/quigonjinn
Post edited by xJazzx on

Replies

• Naecabon
    1243 posts Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Lucky for you that leader speed skills don't apply to the first turn, huh???
  • Options
    Naecabon wrote: »

Most likely it will be patched, speed boost should apply to the first turn.
  • Options
    xJazzx wrote: »
    Naecabon wrote: »

Most likely it will be patched, speed boost should apply to the first turn.

Well, it doesn't and it may be by design for exactly the reasons you listed.

Cry wolf when we know for sure IMO!
  • EM650
    1120 posts Member
    Options
    Awesome. I look forward to it.
  • Options
    So does that mean your calling FTP plankton or larvae cause... Eww
  • Options
    I don't see anything that says it's restricted to a certain turn. Does this apply to all leader abilities? Are you saying that Chewie only giving +30 defense after first turn?
  • Nonemo
    1656 posts Member
    Options
    Yeah, to think that a player who spent $1,000 should be able to outperform a player who spent zilch? Outrageous! :)

No srsly. There are more aspects to the game than PvP and the statement that hardcore gamers will be able to defeat leisure gamers is just redundant. Who would finance this game if hardcore/paying gamers didn't get a competitive edge?
  • Options
    Reddplague wrote: »
    I don't see anything that says it's restricted to a certain turn. Does this apply to all leader abilities? Are you saying that Chewie only giving +30 defense after first turn?

No, it's strictly related to leader bonuses that add Speed. The Speed is not factored in on the first wave of actions.

I haven't actually bothered to run tests on if the Speed bonus kicks in after the LEADER takes their first action, or if it's EACH character that gets it after their first action, but I know for a fact my first waves of actions have never been impacted by running QGJ as leader.

Essentially, if you're doing it just to gain a first turn advantage, you're wasting your time. Just doesn't work right now.
  • Options
    Disclaimer: Still works just fine in Galactic War after the first battle since anything after the first is a "continuation" of the first battle and not a new fight in itself.
  • Qeltar
    4326 posts Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Thanks for the kind words. My view is: why bother worrying about something based on presumptive data mining that will be in an update months down the road if it ever happens? They've already made clear that any future stuff is subject to change, and we will also have new modes, abilities, characters long before level 82.
    For all we know, the "speed/damage meta" could be over in as little as a few hours. Probably not, but could be. Did anyone really foresee the extent of the Barriss nerf? Or Sidious being given 35% dodge against Jedi? I sure didn't.
    Don't waste energy on things way out in the future.
    ETA: Yes, in general the whales will eat F2P always in games like this. That's how they are designed, because profit is a higher priority than a level playing field. Anyone who can't accept that is better off not playing.
    Quit 7/14/16. Best of luck to all of you.
  • Options
    Nonemo wrote: »
    Yeah, to think that a player who spent $1,000 should be able to outperform a player who spent zilch? Outrageous! :)

No srsly. There are more aspects to the game than PvP and the statement that hardcore gamers will be able to defeat leisure gamers is just redundant. Who would finance this game if hardcore/paying gamers didn't get a competitive edge?

Statements like this need to stickied. I'm ok with free loaders looking for a good time, but whining free loaders? Everyone loves free stuff but to cry "my free jacket is not red/ as warm like the one that guy bought"????

Full disclosure: I'm a free is better but I don't mind paying for something I really love guy. And I'm also all over the forums against whiners, so much so that I'm becoming one :lol:! I promise, no more whining in response to whining, enjoy whiners!
  • Rolf
    1032 posts Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Cythis wrote: »
    So does that mean your calling FTP plankton or larvae cause... Eww
    Not all whales eat that way. S*perm whales eat giant squid. I could be a giant squid. B)
    My ally code: 296-673-769. Wish we could have more than 35.
  • Options
    Loosing a character or without taking a turn already happens with poe and poggle teams so.... nothing changes?
  • Options
    It's taken 3 months or more to increase the cap to 70. It will likely be near the end of the year at the earliest before we see 90. In the meantime skills can change, new characters will be added, chrono only toons may end up in the cantina or shipments and make way for new characters. So many variables between now and then, you're getting far too ahead of yourself.
  • Options
    Frankly, if someone pays over a thousand dollars or whatever on this game how can you truly expect to complete? It's so frustrating to see these posts over and over again. Yawn.

If you truly expect that you should be competing in the same league as the players who effectively pay for the running of this forum and the ongoing development of the game you are terribly naive.

Try your best and be the best of the rest, or versus the big spenders who haven't worked out efficient teams.
  • Options
    At least few months later we won't play this game already right?
  • Options
    I feel you can still build an effective team to compete when you don't spend big. It's just going to take longer than the lunatics who spend thousands on this small mobile app.
  • Options
    All whale teams have QuiGonJinn and when the level 90 cap is released probably in the next few months, QGJ will be able to upgrade his leadership to increase the speed for all allies. This leadership skill "agility training" will give "+25 speed to ALL allies" and no longer limited to only Jedi.

With a patch, F2P teams will most likely lose one character with even before the F2P player begins his first turn. Just imagine the barrage of burst from FOTP, QGJ and another DPS. Most likely you will absorb at least 15k of damage before you start your turn. Can your glass cannons survive 15k of damage? Also, let's not forget whales' Poe will go before yours and reduce your turn meter and expose your team. Sad, isn't it?

Suggestion: If you play this game to rank top with low amount of cash$ and take pleasure in defeating those who have a better squad, you will find yourself disappointed being ranked perpetually below the whales. Of course, the fact is most mobile games are P2W. This thread is meant to be a reality check for F2P. Enjoy the game and may the force be with you.

Maybe the sharpest minds can chip in. @WhipIT @Qeltar @JohnnySteelAlpha @Keaven @SeroZero @Nonemo @Kylven

Probably would be nerfed or farmable by then. Also, there's like 50 new characters coming in the following months.
  • Lokai
    379 posts Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    how exactly do you know that gui-gons ability will effect ALL types of characters? And while it appears that first turn speed buffs don't apply I don't know why they shouldn't. like anything else your pick your team and leader for certain abilities....why shouldn't it be active like all the rest right out of the gate? it can't be any rational reasoning to limit people getting one up on the turn meters because that is already ridiculously possible with Poe+Han+Phasma that it's ridiculous. If it for a fact does NOT currently work right from the start it **** well better be fixed because obviously the meta doesn't have anything against people being able to jack with the turn meters in EXTREME ways. Heck it appears that if you have Poe+FO officer+Phasma+Obi wan you can in some cases, assuming all debuffs hit, get 2 full turns before your opponent even gets a chance to go, now that's some serious nonsense right there and theres very little you can actually do to combat those kind of shinanigans if your a paying player or not.
  • Options
    apart from Qui gonn, Leia/FOTP teams i dont really have a problem beating teams 21/22k br and phasma is a joke once you get rid of the big hitters who get called in assist
  • Options
    Advantage and speed down are not to be scoffed at. She isn't as good as poe for turn meter control by effectively she adds 75% to 250% damage plus status effects whenever an ally takes a turn, 16 percent or 32 percent of the time! You really don't see those potential numbers from anywhere else.
  • Jugilismaani
    64 posts Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    -
    Post edited by Jugilismaani on
  • Options

I tend to believe that an F2P team can certainly compete against an elite P2W team. If anything, your only problem is keeping up with the energy refreshes the whale will have to hold his position. If you look around, I have posted on many occasions about this problem and the IAP setup as it stands. I'm happy to see your post because when I say similar things, I get written off as crazy or a troll, neither are true.

This is your opinion, whether I agreed or not, I value it....
  • Options
    It's taken 3 months or more to increase the cap to 70. It will likely be near the end of the year at the earliest before we see 90. In the meantime skills can change, new characters will be added, chrono only toons may end up in the cantina or shipments and make way for new characters. So many variables between now and then, you're getting far too ahead of yourself.

Absolutely agree good post.
    Qui-Gon progress in cantina currently 4* gear lvl 7.
  • Options
    You sound like you are very Emotionally hurt that you have paid 100$ into the game and a all Driod team, which is all farmable can easily mob the floor against your paid teams. It's not our fault you need to learn how to play. Also you should thank Free to play players, especially the ones who put TIME AND EFFORT into this game. Without us this game would be forgotten and no one would play it after spending 5 bucks on it. A game that is successfull needs free to play players who keep the game moving and not become stagnant, also pay to win helps keep the game finance so the servers keep running. It's a symbiotic relationship and a game that can achieve this delicate balance, has a longevity and profitable future ahead.
  • Options
    Nonemo wrote: »

This i second to sticky :p

Also @Qeltar has the best long term strat for f2p or avg spenders. More or less play the same way.
    I also understand OP worries. Depends how many whales (hate that word) you have on the server as well. Man I really want to be in that awesome sharp minded club, where do I apply?
    439-259-888 I have a bad habit of editing my typo's after posting
  • Options
    I just opened a new credit card with $5k limit so I can buy everything! Woohoo!
  • Nonemo
    1656 posts Member
    Options
    By the way, I just got stomped by a completely F2P team of: Poe, Luminara, Underworld cop, Geonosian soldier and Poggle.

My team was: 6* old Ben, 6* QGJ, 7* Leia, 7* Kylo and 7* Phasma. All purple gear. So three high starred Chromium exclusive characters, by many considered to be OP.

I think we can rest assured that there will always be viable builds for F2P players. GC doesn't want to turn this game into a pure P2W experience. And that's exactly how it's supposed to be... Imo.
  • Options
    Bad Troll Post is Bad... This same OP guy comments in f2p threads encouraging f2p... Either way, this game is pay2winsoonernotforever ... And there's multiple speed party possibilities without Taken Gin.. And dodge parties are way worse to face imo... It's rock pepper scissors. For every Whale there is a Captain Ahab, for every Jaws there is a Brody. Neither side of the player base is diminished in the long run. Just a fact.
  • Lokai
    379 posts Member
    Options
    CharLieTao wrote: »
    I just opened a new credit card with $5k limit so I can buy everything! Woohoo!

lols

*sarcasm meter pegged sir*