Possible Tarkin Rework Ideas

Tarkin isn't an awful character right now, but he's not anything special, and certainly not strong enough to get into most Empire teams. He's too squishy, and has very little damage. You'd think he'd have lots of utility to make up for that fact but... ehhh... Yeah, he's got a fair bit of TM reduction and a pretty nice AOE damage-down (with a possible speed-down attached), however his relatively low potency doesn't do him any favours here.

However, there are a few very simple changes that could make him fit into Empire teams more often. I'm not suggesting that all of these changes should be made at the same time, I'm just putting ideas out there that can be considered on their own.

Basic attack change: Tarkin no longer has a gun. Instead, his basic lets him choose an ally and make them attack on his behalf, with some sort of bonus for the chosen ally. This could be bonus potency, damage, a TM gain, etc.

Tarkin is a Grand Moff, he shouldn't have to use such barbaric weapons.

AOE Damage Special: This is an attack from a fleet of ships in orbit. It should do something resembling damage. It should also be pretty traumatising to all involved, so some sort of debuff like health down or maybe speed down. I can tell you one thing, if I was shot by a Star Destroyer in orbit, I'd probably be pretty upset about the whole situation, so I might not fight quite so effectively.

Stormtrooper Assistance: Tarkin should really be able to call in a couple Stormtroopers to help if he wants them. So, maybe an ability that summons a weaker-than-usual Stormtrooper variant to fill the 6th slot in the team would be cool. It would absolutely be a pain to balance, but it could be funny, if nothing else.

Leader: Give this a Zeta. Seriously. Look at it. It's pathetic. It's pretty much the exact same thing as QGJ's Leader before he gets his Zeta.

This really is a super boring ability, so giving it some sort of extra utility would be cool. Maybe something like a chance for any ability used by an ally to afflict a debuff, to fit in with the Empire's focus on 'debuff all the things'.

Any other ideas for how to make Tarkin a bit less extremely 'meh'?

Replies

• Options
    Tighten the Grip level 8 zeta ability, Empire allies gain 30 speed, reduce the targets turn meter by 15% whenever they inflict a negative effect, and Tarkin inflicts ability block on the opposing team at the start of the match
  • Zombie961
    1819 posts Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    I like the idea for him calling a manual assist but if it is manual what's to stop someone from using like palp to Immeaditly Shock someone one for high damage
    AoE is fine (your idea not the game's)
    The stormtrooper idea is neat but stormtrooper sucks so he'd prob need a rework as well
    Leader: definatly a zeta and maybe something like "empire allies gain X speed and gain Y% offense for each Debuff on an enemy
    Edit: "unquie": if director krennic is present he will taunt and any attack directed at tarkin will hit him instead
  • Options
    Zombie961 wrote: »
    I like the idea for him calling a manual assist but if it is manual what's to stop someone from using like palp to Immeaditly Shock someone one for high damage
    AoE is fine (your idea not the game's)
    The stormtrooper idea is neat but stormtrooper sucks so he'd prob need a rework as well
    Leader: definatly a zeta and maybe something like "empire allies gain X speed and gain Y% offense for each Debuff on an enemy
    Edit: "unquie": if director krennic is present he will taunt and any attack directed at tarkin will hit him instead

First off, I agree that his manual assist would be quite strong in certain circumstances, however I think it would be okay because it's basically a weaker version of an ally-assist. It's a difficult thing to balance, but it could work. Even if that means making the assisting ally's attack weaker.

Secondly, I specifically said a 'weaker-than-usual Stormtrooper variant'. In my eyes, this would mean either one of the regular Stormtroopers (the weak tank one, Magmatrooper, etc.) with significantly reduced stats or an entirely new Stormtrooper type with low stats and generally weak abilities. The power of being able to add a 6th member to a squad in an arena battle is huge, especially if the member added has abilities and not just a basic attack.

Finally, I like the idea of Krennic basically being forced to tank for Tarkin. They both know who the real boss is around these parts.
  • Options
    Agreed. I see Tarkin as the weaker and softer Lando. I mean, he can't hold a candle to LC's 100% damage or his speed. they added that confuse ability recently, I feel like being hit by a space bombardment might do the trick. His gaze ability should give him more defense, or replenish his Protection a % -- something to make him less squishy.

His Basic attack, even if it's basically flavor, it would be great if a bunch of stormtroopers just ran by shooting. But I agree both Tarkin and Akbar shouldn't be armed, really.

And now that they're adding in a bunch of specific synergies, maybe he should get something with Dark Vader. He is the only person who showed an ounce of anything but fear or malice to Vader, even calling him friend. Maybe if Tarkin goes under 50% health Vader automatically Taunts? His gaze maybe removes all debuffs from Vader?
    #AcolyteShootsTwice